PDA

View Full Version : Winter at Grayson Highlands

Tennessee Viking
11-12-2007, 00:00
I am hoping to make it to Grayson Highlands before any bad winter weather starts. Are the wild ponies still roaming the area going into the winter, and in addition of being so dry? Or do they get moved to other pastures when things get too cold or dry?

Nightwalker
11-12-2007, 01:09
I am hoping to make it to Grayson Highlands before any bad winter weather starts. Are the wild ponies still roaming the area going into the winter, and in addition of being so dry? Or do they get moved to other pastures when things get too cold or dry?

There are streams at GHSP that don't dry out. Consequently, I saw the most ponies right at one of them.

They are the sweetest little critters. One blocked the trail and didn't move until I gave him a large amount of attention and a few hugs. It really made my day! His too, maybe...

Tipi Walter
11-12-2007, 10:13
Yeah, and one bit me in the buttocks when I didn't give him an apple to eat. True story.

Hikerhead
11-12-2007, 20:14
I had a stallion charge me while I was a messing with one of his phillies. I turned around to face him at the last minute and he stopped in his tracks just a few feet from me. I came close to being embedded into Grayson Highlands.......I belive the ponies have access to the streams down around Wise shelter.

Nearly Normal
11-12-2007, 20:42
I have nothing against ponies and I'm sure they are great to see but...

Why havn't I seen post from rabid nature groups condeming their pressence?
Surely they displace natural selected flora and fauna.
Have predators been introduced to control population or will a hunting season be needed?
Does the DNR catch the excess animals and what do they do with them?
Does the area benifit from their pressence other than an attraction?
How many animals can the Highlands support without damage?
There must be some sort of guide line for animal/land use ratio.
I've seen threads condemming horse apples and impact in the Smokies but never for the Highlands.
Why?

Nearly Normal

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 20:49
I have nothing against ponies and I'm sure they are great to see but...

Why havn't I seen post from rabid nature groups condeming their pressence?
Surely they displace natural selected flora and fauna.
Have predators been introduced to control population or will a hunting season be needed?
Does the DNR catch the excess animals and what do they do with them?
Does the area benifit from their pressence other than an attraction?
How many animals can the Highlands support without damage?
There must be some sort of guide line for animal/land use ratio.
I've seen threads condemming horse apples and impact in the Smokies but never for the Highlands.
Why?

Nearly Normal
ponies are "cute"
yes they chew and dig up everything
no predators. they're fenced. occaisonal coyote will get one
benefit? none
they round up a certain amount yearly and auction them off
why no bitching? don't know. :-?

Hikerhead
11-12-2007, 21:12
They help to keep the grassy area's open I believe, or that's what I've read or heard.

Tipi Walter
11-12-2007, 21:15
I talked to some oldtimer a ways back and he told me that the pink granite rocks and the beautiful views we love on Wilburn Ridge used to be all hidden by trees before it was logged years ago. T'ain't no natural bald but who cares? It's still one of the coldest places in the southeast.

booney_1
11-13-2007, 17:52
It's kind of a stretch to call them wild ponies. Many of them will eat out of your hand. They are also fenced in so that they stay in certain areas. They are definitely managed, with occasional auctions reducing the population. I expect that when the winters are harsh, the population also goes down.

If you are camped in an area where you can watch them it's pretty neat to view a herd.

Part of their "job" is to keep the balds clear, which they apparently do. I don't think they compete with deer, which are probably at the lower elevations. And if they did, it would be a good thing since the deer population in the southeast has gotten out of control

Lone Wolf
11-13-2007, 22:38
Aliens = Intelligent designers