PDA

View Full Version : Self-erecting tents

Jody7818
12-01-2003, 17:06
Has anyone ever used a self-erecting tent? If so, what are the pros and cons? What is a good brand to buy? I've been thinking about buying one.

Kerosene
12-01-2003, 19:03
Keep it clean, guys :D

MadAussieInLondon
12-01-2003, 19:19
self erecting or free standing?

i have only seen mucho-largo self erecting tents. looked more like a gimmick than anything else... the one i saw looked like some 4 man thing...

now if you meant free-standing, thats something else entirely.....

icemanat95
12-01-2003, 20:01
Those tents with the memory steel hoops for support are strictly for backyard fun and games, they are neither sturdy enough for real use, nor waterproof enough for heavy weather. They are very heavy and do not pack down to anything resembling a portable load.

Self-supporting/freestanding tents are a waste of weight for anything but alpine and mountaineering use, or environments where excessive wind is likely, even then you need to stake and guy them out to get good ventilation and best performance.

Jody7818
12-02-2003, 10:26
The self erecting tent that I've seen on the internet is at www.cftoys.com They have one that sleeps one person. I was kinda interested in that one. But if it's not going to withstand the elements very well, then there is no point in buying one. Can anyone recommend a good tent that's easy to setup and lightweight that sleeps one or two persons? Something that would be good for a thru-hike.

By the way, the first self erecting tent I seen was in the movie Jurassic Park. It looked kinda cool.

max patch
12-02-2003, 10:45
The only thing that I can add to Iceman's post is that Campmor sells (at least sold; its been years since I've looked at a Campmor catalog) these tents with the disclaimer that they are not intended for backpacking because of their size when broken down.

alpine
12-02-2003, 10:54
with drawn

Youngblood
12-02-2003, 11:22
The self erecting tent that I've seen on the internet is at www.cftoys.com They have one that sleeps one person. I was kinda interested in that one. But if it's not going to withstand the elements very well, then there is no point in buying one. Can anyone recommend a good tent that's easy to setup and lightweight that sleeps one or two persons? Something that would be good for a thru-hike.

By the way, the first self erecting tent I seen was in the movie Jurassic Park. It looked kinda cool.

Jody,

You are looking at fairly heavy tents for long distance hiking. These days, most long distance hikers try to use tents that are much lighter than the 7 lbs or so that I saw on that web site. I am assuming that you haven't done much backpacking, is that correct? (If so, disregard the rest of this message.) Backpacking is about hiking and camping. Weekenders usually hike a short distance and camp for a long time-- they are usually willing to carry heavier loads if it will increase their camping comfort or ease their perceived fears. Long distance backpackers usually hike long miles and camping is something they do along the way-- they are usually not willing to carry anymore weight than they fill they have too. Some outfitters will try to sell you equipment based on what is best for them, others may not really know or have the best gear for long distance backpacking and other outfitters will know and sell you the right kind of gear. There are many places to look at or buy gear withing a couple of hours of where you live and if you are interested I can suggest a few places for you to visit. Bear in mind that some are very busy on weekends, this is the Xmas shopping season and if they are really swamped you will not likely get the time/attention you want. Also, some of these outfitters offer seminars on backpacking or even preparing for an Appalachian Trail thru-hike.

Youngblood

icemanat95
12-02-2003, 11:48
I favor non-freestanding tunnel type tents such as the MSR Zoid tents and the Sierra Designs Lightyear and Clip 2. Properly set up, these lightweight tents are sufficient for nearly anything Spring, Summer or Fall can throw at you. Weight for these sorts of tents is generally under 4.5 pounds and often much less. Campmor is a good source.

They pack small and carry well, but are tight for living space. A backpacker doesn't care so much because you won't spend much wakeing time in the tent. If you are awake, your goal is to be either eating or hiking, not sitting in your tent admiring the colors of the fabric. At 6'2" tall I used a Walrus Swift for most of my trip and was able to sort my gear, change, etc. inside that tiny tent. I could even sleep in the tent with my pack and all my gear except the smelly stuff that might attract critters.

Learning to pitch a not-freestanding tent properly is easy. It might seem daunting at first, but with a little practice you'll be able to get a fast, tight pitch that will bounce a quarter to the moon.

Jody7818
12-02-2003, 16:00
Youngblood,
The particular tent that I wanted said 2lbs on the website. Is that still too heavy? Based on the negative responses on the tent, I guess I'll be looking into something else. Also, you are right. I never have backpacked before. So it's still kinda new to me. If you know of a place near Gainesville that has a vast array of hiking equipment, then I would be very interested.

firefly
12-02-2003, 17:09
I would go online at REI.COM at print out the lightweight backpacking tent comparrison sheet. Look at the weight and see what you can afford. Then I would go to REI in Buford at the mall of Georgia. They will have some of these tents set up on the floor. Crawl in and out of all of them...they will set up any tent they have in stock for you to check out. Freestanding tents are great but they weigh more....are you gonna carry this tent on a thru hike or are you going to be a weekend/section hiker. If you are a thruhiker you may want to go for a non-freestanding tent. Some of them are very tiny and very tight..others are more roomy..You can tell alot when you actually crawl in there. If you are going to be a weekend/section hiker you might want to consider a tent that weighs a little more but has alot more living space. I would not choose a small tight tent unless you are planning on alot of long distance hiking...BUT do what works for you. Figure out what you will be using it for...figure out what you have to spend..how much would want it to weigh and then go see what you like the best.

gravityman
12-02-2003, 17:12
There are several. www.wanderlustgear.com is a great tent, but not so wind-worthy.

www.tarptent.com makes several really nice tents, but not as roomy as the wanderlust tents.

Both are single wall and weight close to 2 lbs. Or you can go for a true tarp, but that isn't my preference.

I can bet you that if you buy a comercial tent, then you will end up wanting something lighter and different after a few hundred miles.

Gravity Man

Youngblood
12-02-2003, 22:47
Youngblood,
The particular tent that I wanted said 2lbs on the website. Is that still too heavy? Based on the negative responses on the tent, I guess I'll be looking into something else. Also, you are right. I never have backpacked before. So it's still kinda new to me. If you know of a place near Gainesville that has a vast array of hiking equipment, then I would be very interested.

Jody,

Two lbs is an ultralight tent and I would have a hard time believing that a pop-up tent at that weight would work well for backpacking. Firefly mentioned the REI in Buford, GA for backpacking gear. I haven't been to that particular store, it opened this year and I live less than 10 miles from the other two in the Atlanta area. They have lots of gear, a whole lot of gear and they even have more on their web site. My feeling is that REI's theme is 'comfort is more important than weight'. There is another place that I am going to recommend to you that I feel their theme is 'weight has everything to do with comfort'.

Some of the north bound thru-hikers (nobo's) gear up at outfitters that have the 'comfort is more important than weight' theme, struggle for the first 30 or so miles in Georgia, limb into the outfitter at Neels Gap and then find out what gear they really want carry for the remaining 2000+ miles of their journey. The outfitters name is Mountain Crossings and you're in luck because you live close enough to drive there. It is a very small shop but they have most if not all of what you will need. They probably see more 'gear selection mistakes' than anyone. They are the experts! Again, they are the experts! Talk to them on the phone and see if they are having any thru-hiker seminars (I think Winton Porter told me a month or so ago that they were going to doing one or two before spring. Winton and his wife Margie are the owners) and go see & talk to them. Let them know who you are, what experience you have and what help you need. They have a web site: http://www.mountaincrossings.com/ . They are located on US19 about 14 miles south of Blairsville and their phone number is listed on the web site. US129 north out of Gainsville merges with US19 at Turners Corner, so all you should have to do is follow US129 and then US19. Mountain Crossings is in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of a sweeping left turn where the road peaks as it goes over/through Neels Gap. It is also on the Appalachain Trail. There is a neat 5 to 6 mile loop hike over and around Blood Mountain if you have the time. Ask at the outfitters, they will tell you where the trail is. This is probably the best advise that a former thru-hiker can give you.

Youngblood

Rain Man
12-02-2003, 23:49
www.tarptent.com makes several really nice tents, but not as roomy as the wanderlust tents.

Henry Shires, maker of TarpTents, loaned me one this past month. I didn't get to take it on a hike, but did set it up in my backyard. One night it was rainy and blustery. Another night it was 23 degrees. The Cloudburst he sent me worked like a charm both nights.

If I hadn't just bought a Roadster at REI, I'd be buying a TarpTent now. As it is, I might be buying one anyway. I stay in shelters, but like a very light tent as a backup.

Rain Man

Doctari
12-02-2003, 23:52
I took a look at the web site, If that is 2 Lbs, WOW, I just find it hard to believe. Caveot Emptor, Buyer beware :) From what I could make out on the web site you posted, that tent would be "toast" in about 2 weeks on the AT. We could be wrong, but.

In addition to the other suggestions: Check out the hammock forum, the gear review, and the ultra light forum here @ White blaze. Also: Backpacker.com has similar forums (foolishly no hammock one).

I have a Nomad, under 2 Lbs, I can have it set up in under 3 min even taking my time.

Sgt rock has a Hennesy Hammock he swears by. Looks like his set up time is similar, weight a bit less.

If you get a tent: Set it up in the back yard, oh, , , 10 or 15 times. Even if you get the pop up tent. Check it for leaks: have a friend or family member play a hose over it, especialy on the seams, and, yes it will be hard, the floor. Seam seal ALL of the seams, then let the sealer dry for at least 24 hrs (seam sealer is usually a type of glue K). Spend at least one night in the darn thing. Put all of your gear in it.

Welcome to our family. Hope we helped! :welcome

Doctari.

Jody7818
12-03-2003, 08:10
You guys have been very helpful. Thanks for everything. :)