PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie and need some help

trey3288
11-12-2007, 13:47
I'm a college student year around and don't have much time to do a lot of hiking but got a chance over my christmas break. How does the idea of a 3 day 12/26 or 27 to 12/29 or 30 starting at Blood Mountain in Georgia sound at this time of year? Don't know much, but just need help?
Thanks
TG

A-Train
11-12-2007, 13:50
where will you be hiking? Depends on the location. Weather that time of yr can vary greatly. Could be 50 degrees and sunny, or a full on snow storm.

SGT Rock
11-12-2007, 13:51
Since you are in Mobile I would reccomend going to the Alabama Pinhoti. I've hiked it in January and it was doable.

jesse
11-12-2007, 15:53
I also belive the Blood Mountian Wilderness is a permanent no-fire zone. That might have an impact on going there in the winter. Because of the drought, there may be fire bans in a lot of places. Check before you go.

Jarhead16
11-12-2007, 20:37
Try oak mountain, no fires, but stoves are still allowed and it's only like $4 a day to use the trail and the money goes right back to the trail.

Ron Haven
11-12-2007, 22:40
I also belive the Blood Mountian Wilderness is a permanent no-fire zone. That might have an impact on going there in the winter. Because of the drought, there may be fire bans in a lot of places. Check before you go.You are right jessebrent,From Slaughter Creek trail to Neels Gap has a fire ban all the time.As I understand it Ga & NC has a fire ban everywhere at this time until further notice.As A-Train said it is unpredictable,I hiked last Sunday from Woody Gap to Neels gap and it was a picture perfect day but the only water I found was just north of Jarrard Gap where you bear back to the right and cross the small bridge.In December you may find 2 feet deep snows over Blood.

norman55
11-16-2007, 11:05
Being a newbie to the AT, I can't offer very much by way of personal experiences backpacking in this area. But being from Daphne, Al - I have day-hiked for many years in Alabama and it has a lot to offer for short hikes as you described.

Oak Mountain is pretty but I found it somewhat limited.

You might try Little River Canyon or DeSote State Park. Both are in Northeast AL and offer really nice country. Although the weather condition aren't much different than North Georgia, they are certainly less challenging and less isolated.

You could also try the Bankhead or Talladega NFs. Friends have recommended them both but I never got there myself.

Happy Hiking
Sambeaux
Unicoi to Standing Indian
Nov 18 to Nov 24

chief
11-16-2007, 23:38
Being a newbie to the AT, I can't offer very much by way of personal experiences backpacking in this area. But being from Daphne, Al - I have day-hiked for many years in Alabama and it has a lot to offer for short hikes as you described.

Oak Mountain is pretty but I found it somewhat limited.

You might try Little River Canyon or DeSote State Park. Both are in Northeast AL and offer really nice country. Although the weather condition aren't much different than North Georgia, they are certainly less challenging and less isolated.

You could also try the Bankhead or Talladega NFs. Friends have recommended them both but I never got there myself.

Happy Hiking
Sambeaux
Unicoi to Standing Indian
Nov 18 to Nov 24Hey Norman, seems like Lower Alabama week. First a guy from Mobile posts and now you from Daphne. I'm just down the bay in Fairhope.

Cuffs
11-17-2007, 00:03
Try oak mountain, no fires, but stoves are still allowed and it's only like $4 a day to use the trail and the money goes right back to the trail.

Oak Mtn State Park is $2pp weekdays, $3pp weekends. Their longest trail is only just over 6 miles. 2 of their 3 "backcountry" campsites are heavily affected by a nearby train crossing (horns all night long.)