PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Highlands Trail, PA

The Solemates
11-12-2007, 15:51
I am hiking the Laurel Highlands Trail (Northbound-Ohiopyle to Seward) Saturday 17 Nov until Wednesday 21 Nov. My hiking partner dropped out on me last minute. If anyone would be interested in joining me for portions or for the whole thing, I'd like to have the company...

http://www.franusich.com/trails/lhht/
http://www.shol.com/featheredprop/index.htm
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/Forestry/hiking/laurel.aspx
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/laurelridge.aspx
for more info..

Skyline
11-12-2007, 16:42
That's a great trail! Wish I could do it again!

It is relatively easy, with the biggest ascent and descent at either end. A few less so here and there. Nice forest, and the shelter areas are almost decadent compared to most on the AT. :)

I wish they'd let you camp anywhere, but you're limited to the aforementioned shelter areas (groupings of Adirondacks, with tenting space, fire rings, CUT fire wood, rest rooms with pit toilets not unlike some at the more primitive highway rest areas. You need to reserve them ahead of time, and there is a fee. (Tip: Most folks don't know which shelter they want so are assigned by default Shelter #1 at each canping area. So shelter #1 may have more mice than the others!)

Most of the shelter areas (all but the northernmost one as I recall) have pumps that draw water from wells. When I did it, the well water tasted terrible! So much so that we regrouped so we could cache water for the second half of the trail. It's not that hard to do--there are road crossings within a mile or two of most shelters and places to hide your water jugs nearby. The shelters have trash cans so you can leave your empties there without guilt. (State personnel visit daily to clean up and do other maintenance as each shelter area is accessible via some kind of gated road.)

All in all, a fantastic 4 to 7 day hike. Enjoy!

Cookerhiker
11-12-2007, 21:14
Darn - I live close to the Laurel Highlands and hope to hike it soon but not this time. Monday Nov. 19 I'm leaving for Australia where I'll spend 4 weeks.

While in Ohiopyle, check out the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org/). If you ever want to cycle it and need a shuttle, let me know. I live 1/2 mile from the Frostburg station.

The Solemates
11-12-2007, 21:20
yea..we've hiked part of it before. looking forward to it...should i call for reservations? never did that before...we also didnt stay at the shelters necessarily...

Cookerhiker
11-12-2007, 21:32
Have you checked out the State's website (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/Forestry/hiking/laurel.aspx)? It says reservations are required.

longwe tru
11-13-2007, 00:32
I am also planning to hike the Laurel Highland Trail. I live in Pittsburgh and was planning on leaving a little later. Could we talk?

The Solemates
11-14-2007, 10:49
I am also planning to hike the Laurel Highland Trail. I live in Pittsburgh and was planning on leaving a little later. Could we talk?

pm sent

DuctTape
11-17-2007, 03:22
Why not hold out until June? :D

www.laurelultra.com (http://www.laurelultra.com)

Jeff
11-17-2007, 09:11
Has anyone found a person who shuttles hikers on the Laurel Highlands Trail?

Skyline
11-17-2007, 10:44

This may or may not help. When I hiked the LHT, there was an American Youth Hostel in Ohiopyle (southern LHT terminus). We made a small donation to park a vehicle there. Hopefully this hostel still exists.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was someone there resourceful enough to come up with a shuttle driver.

Cookerhiker
11-17-2007, 10:49

I might - when do you want to go?

Skyline
11-17-2007, 11:26
Why not hold out until June? :D

www.laurelultra.com (http://www.laurelultra.com)

Um, no.

The Solemates
11-20-2007, 09:15
all finished. had great weather....30s during the day and teens at night. 3-4 inches of snow one night. the trail is relatively easy hiking through mostly hardwood forests. i finished it in 3.5 days, albeit my body tells me I'm an idiot today. I had to work up my appetite for thanksgiving, and now I'm gonna tear down on some thanksgiving feast!

MOWGLI
11-20-2007, 09:24
Interesting to see that PA DCNR has the trail labeled as a National Scenic Trail on their website.

This trail is designated as part of the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail. It is a spur off of the main trail.

ki0eh
11-20-2007, 09:36
That's what I thought of recently, hearing someone say the AT doesn't intersect another NST. Only 10 min from ATC HQ too. Good for triathlon types I suppose, start hiking at Johnstown, bike from Ohiopyle, paddle the lower Potomac. Wonder if folks do that?

MOWGLI
11-20-2007, 09:48
That's what I thought of recently, hearing someone say the AT doesn't intersect another NST. Only 10 min from ATC HQ too. Good for triathlon types I suppose, start hiking at Johnstown, bike from Ohiopyle, paddle the lower Potomac. Wonder if folks do that?

The Potomac Heritage and AT are concurrent for 2 miles near Harpers Ferry along the C&O. Interesting idea about the tri-sport quest. I would give it a whirl, although I'm lousy on a bike. rail grades are perfect for me though.

How far is it from Johnstown to Ohiopyle?

ki0eh
11-20-2007, 10:29

70 miles, according to a link someone posted here a few minutes ago. :)

Well, actually not Johnstown, but a few miles downstream on the south side of the Conemaugh River is where the LHT ends.

Right on the edge of Johnstown the inclined plane http://www.inclinedplane.com/ is an interesting artifact, far less polluting than the cog railway WBers love, and has a parallel footpath.

It'd be an interesting thought to somehow connect this through the attractive historic community of Westmont then out into the woods to the LHT far up on the same ridge system.

Then you could shuttle on Amtrak a hike down to Harpers because it stops in Johnstown too. (But you'd have to change trains either in Pittsburgh, or in both Washington and Philadelphia.)

Speaking of connections, there is much public land and few large private landowners (basically the family that owns 84 Lumber) between Ohiopyle and the end of WV's Allegheny Trail. Plus there's a trail that almost connects the ALT to US 40 covering about half this distance, all in one county. The founder of 84 Lumber is a (now lame-duck) commissioner of this Fayette County. That was noted a few years ago by Lloyd MacAskill and others in some e-mails relating to what's now the GET.

Skyline
11-20-2007, 11:33
Solemates,

Could you tell us how you handled logistics--especially parking? And how was the water availability and quality?

One of the things I found frustrating about the LHT was the warnings from a varietry of sources about trailhead vandalism--especially at the northern Seward terminus, and the southernmost trailhead off Rt. 381 which was actually north of Ohiopyle.

In 1997 hiking SOBO, we took these warnings seriously enough to find a long-term parking space in downtown Johnstown (an adventure in city bureaucracy!) and a cab ride to Seward; and at an American Youth Hostel in Ohiopyle--an easy, level walk from the actual southern terminus. (Even the Johnstown cabbie had heard of the Seward vandalism!)

Would have worked out perfectly but I wound up doing the second half separately after cacheing water thanks to a friend from east of Pittsburgh.

All in all, a great trail and I hope to do it again someday.

Skyline
11-20-2007, 11:56
70 miles, according to a link someone posted here a few minutes ago. :)

Well, actually not Johnstown, but a few miles downstream on the south side of the Conemaugh River is where the LHT ends.

Right on the edge of Johnstown the inclined plane http://www.inclinedplane.com/ is an interesting artifact, far less polluting than the cog railway WBers love, and has a parallel footpath.

It'd be an interesting thought to somehow connect this through the attractive historic community of Westmont then out into the woods to the LHT far up on the same ridge system.

Then you could shuttle on Amtrak a hike down to Harpers because it stops in Johnstown too. (But you'd have to change trains either in Pittsburgh, or in both Washington and Philadelphia.)

Speaking of connections, there is much public land and few large private landowners (basically the family that owns 84 Lumber) between Ohiopyle and the end of WV's Allegheny Trail. Plus there's a trail that almost connects the ALT to US 40 covering about half this distance, all in one county. The founder of 84 Lumber is a (now lame-duck) commissioner of this Fayette County. That was noted a few years ago by Lloyd MacAskill and others in some e-mails relating to what's now the GET.

I've been trying to figure out how you use Amtrak to go from Seward (well, Johnstown) to the southern LHT terminus at Ohiopyle.

AFAIK you can take the Pennsylvanian to Philadelphia, an Acela or other train from Philly to DC, and the Capitol Limited westbound from DC. But the closest the latter stops to Ohiopyle is Connellsville--about 20 miles away. Is there cab service or some kind of shuttle available in Connellsville? Is it an easy hitch?

BTW I love passenger trains and am crazy enough to do this 632-mile, multi-day Amtrak shuttle just to go 70 trail-miles! But that's only because riding the trains would come in a close second to hiking the trail in the Gratification Dept. I have to wonder how many others would do it.

Update: Less mileage, but also multi-day—Johnstown to Pittsburgh on the Pennsylvanian, then Pittsburgh to Connellsville on the Capitol Limited.

Jim Adams
11-20-2007, 12:39
I live close to the LHHT and work even closer.
Right now there are two of the water pump handles removed due to high bacteria counts in the wells. One is the Rt. 653 shelters, I'm not sure what the second one was but the info is on their web site.
I was just on the LHHT last weekend and the leaves were still great but most are gone now.
The wells do have a strong iron taste and at times slight tinge of coloring from the iron in the water but this is the beginning of the prime hiking season for that trail. The water quality does improve with winter.
I have had vandalism to a friends vehicle while parked at the Seward (northern) end of the trail. None of my hiking friends will park there. It seems that this is mostly destruction of property by kids. There is occassionally break-ins on the southern terminus near Ohiopyle but this is more of a stealing thing than vandalism. The areas just outside of Ohiopyle can be very depressed economically at times and if something of value is visable in the vehicle, it may be broken into. I have never left anything visable and have never had a problem in that area and I've been hiking that trail for 25 years.
If you go into Ohiopyle, go to Wilderness Voyaguers Outfitters (right against the train tracks near the bridge). They also own the Pub at the end of the street there and will usually let you leave a vehicle or two in the corner of the Pub's parking lot for free. No one will bother it there. I am a part time raft guide and canoeing instructor for them and have worked there full time in the past and the outfitting store there, although mostly paddling and bicycling gear, has a few backpacking items and a fair amount of outdoor clothing. They may stll have a shuttle service available...they used to but I don't know prices or availability. If they don't still offer this service they may be able to turn you on to a local who will shuttle you. The local people are very friendly, unusually honest and most do need extra bucks.
The hot set-up is to start in the north and hike southbound. The most difficult terrain (which isn't by AT standards) is the last 11 miles into Ohiopyle from Maple Summit. It is nice to end at your car and the Pub....good food and drinks.

geek

PS. the phone number for reservations is on the web site however you may just get the recording...they just lost their secretary. You can leave a message on the recording but still plan on camping instead of a shelter just in case they are full.

ki0eh
11-20-2007, 13:59
I've been trying to figure out how you use Amtrak to go from Seward (well, Johnstown) to the southern LHT terminus at Ohiopyle.

What I was talking about was Johnstown, PA, to Harpers Ferry, WV, on the Potomac Heritage NST using the LHT, Great Allegheny Passage, and C&O Canal NHP components. Although a longer traverse, that also has the same problem of inconvenient Amtrak scheduling you mention.

Or, one could call that an opportunity for urban exploration in the city of your choice on the layover.

The same "opportunity" certainly would arise going to Connellsville which would only be 17 miles or so of rail-trail down the Yough from Ohiopyle, or perhaps better upon looking at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/ohiopyle/ohiopyle_mini.pdf to take a little stroll around the Ferncliff area then head up Great Gorge Tr. to the Ohiopyle SP campground, down part of Kentuck Trail to rejoin the rail-trail.

That would add another bag night shortening the day one heads to Connellsville, of course paying the prevailing state park fees for the car campground.

Jim Adams
11-20-2007, 14:24
If they don't still offer this service they may be able to turn you on to a local who will shuttle you. The local people are very friendly, unusually honest and most do need extra bucks.

Please let me explain this as I am friends with most people in the area.:o

The economy of Ohiopyle is usually very good however due to this being a paddling and bicycling "mecca", the town, businesses and economy is very seasonal.
I did not mean to sound as if the area was destitute...it certainly is not...everyone can use alittle extra Christmas money.:sun

geek

Skyline
11-20-2007, 16:54
What I was talking about was Johnstown, PA, to Harpers Ferry, WV, on the Potomac Heritage NST using the LHT, Great Allegheny Passage, and C&O Canal NHP components. Although a longer traverse, that also has the same problem of inconvenient Amtrak scheduling you mention.

Or, one could call that an opportunity for urban exploration in the city of your choice on the layover.

The same "opportunity" certainly would arise going to Connellsville which would only be 17 miles or so of rail-trail down the Yough from Ohiopyle, or perhaps better upon looking at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/ohiopyle/ohiopyle_mini.pdf to take a little stroll around the Ferncliff area then head up Great Gorge Tr. to the Ohiopyle SP campground, down part of Kentuck Trail to rejoin the rail-trail.

That would add another bag night shortening the day one heads to Connellsville, of course paying the prevailing state park fees for the car campground.

Wow! I wish I had that much time these days! Hiking most of that distance would be even better than what I had thought you meant.

The Solemates
11-20-2007, 20:23
Interesting to see that PA DCNR has the trail labeled as a National Scenic Trail on their website.

This trail is designated as part of the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail. It is a spur off of the main trail.

yea, i picked up a brochure of the allegheny passage yesterday. my wife and i were discussing this today: that this trail and the C&O towpath, which make up the potomac heritage trail, would be a nice new trail to do by bike.

The Solemates
11-20-2007, 20:26

the LHT is 70 miles. hiking northbound from ohiopyle, you can get off the trail around milepoint 57 (route 271) and take that into johnstown (which is where I am now). its about 12 miles or so down 271 north until you get into johnstown. so, ohiopyle to johnstown would also be about 70 miles.

The Solemates
11-20-2007, 20:34
Solemates,

Could you tell us how you handled logistics--especially parking? And how was the water availability and quality?

My in-laws live 20 minutes north of johnstown. I combined my hiking trip with our annual thanksgiving visit. I had my wife drop me off and pick me up, so we didnt have to worry about logistics. I hadnt heared about the vandalism problem; that's unfortunate.

I did not find water availability to be a problem at all. In fact, I had too much water. My feet were soaked the entire trip because I walked through 1-4 inches of snow for the entire trail. There were plenty of streams, and all of them were flowing high. Furthermore, all of the designated shelters I visited had water pumps. BUT, you have to look at the season I hiked in; summer may be a different story; I can foresee this being a dry trail in the summer.

Cookerhiker
03-23-2008, 12:43
Northern Harrier and I are hiking the Laurel Highlands Trail this week, leaving Wednesday and allowing 6 days/5 nights. We'll have our cars at opposite ends. Geek, thanks for the advice on parking.

Last I checked, the weather calls for high in 40s, low in 30s with 30% chance of showers every day.

Cookerhiker
04-02-2008, 09:28
Had a good hike on the Laurel Highlands Trail: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=221960

I can now confirm firsthand that it's certainly not as rocky as the AT further east. We (a couple of 60 year old guys) took the equivalent of 5 days to hike the 70 miles. For those of you who hate shelters, you can bring your tents/hammocks but under the rules, you have to camp by the shelter areas and make reservations with the State Park system.

The park brochure and comments on this thread say that most hikers go north-to-south but either direction is OK; personally, I liked starting along the Youghiogheny River and climbing up from it.

The only downer was having to cross a still-icy set of ski slopes in thick fog with the wind howling at us.

No signs of spring yet.

Saw a porcupine on our 5th day but amazingly, we saw no deer.

The Solemates
04-02-2008, 09:56
Had a good hike on the Laurel Highlands Trail: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=221960

I can now confirm firsthand that it's certainly not as rocky as the AT further east. We (a couple of 60 year old guys) took the equivalent of 5 days to hike the 70 miles. For those of you who hate shelters, you can bring your tents/hammocks but under the rules, you have to camp by the shelter areas and make reservations with the State Park system.

The park brochure and comments on this thread say that most hikers go north-to-south but either direction is OK; personally, I liked starting along the Youghiogheny River and climbing up from it.

The only downer was having to cross a still-icy set of ski slopes in thick fog with the wind howling at us.

No signs of spring yet.

Enjoyed reading your journal. Brought back memories of my hike. I too had foggy conditions and trouble finding the trail at Seven Springs and wandered around aimlessly for at least 30 minutes until I finally saw it went straight down one of the runs.

Jim Adams
04-02-2008, 09:57

No signs of spring yet.

Sounds like you had a great trip. It might be short and its close to home but it is amazing what that trail can do for your head.
Glad you had fun.

geek

Skyline
04-02-2008, 11:11
Thanks for posting a journal. It brought back fond memories! Those shelter "campuses" are downright decadent, aren't they?

I went SOBO, but in the early Fall. My Seven Springs experience was kind of nasty too. Timed it just right to be crossing out in the open on the "slopes" in a heavy downpour and thunderstorm! Route-finding wasn't the issue, staying alive was.

Cookerhiker
04-02-2008, 20:58
Thanks for your comments everyone. Nice trail - I think more WBers would enjoy it.

Jeff
04-03-2008, 09:46
I agree the LHHT is a great hike. That mountaintop pond at Seven Springs is pretty neat. PA does a good job catering to hikers and hiking groups. Although a little more tame than LHHT, try the Oil Creek loop hike in NW PA. Same shelters, nice views and no need for two cars.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/oilcreek/oilcreek_trails.aspx

Skyline
04-03-2008, 10:23
I agree the LHHT is a great hike. That mountaintop pond at Seven Springs is pretty neat. PA does a good job catering to hikers and hiking groups. Although a little more tame than LHHT, try the Oil Creek loop hike in NW PA. Same shelters, nice views and no need for two cars.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/oilcreek/oilcreek_trails.aspx

Looks like a great dayhike, or a really easy overnighter. Same type of "decadent" shelter "campuses," it seems! Will check it out next time I'm in Western PA.

I hiked a good bit of the North Country Trail through NW PA a few years back. It sure did contrast nicely with all the rocks in the eastern part of the Keystone State. Lots of pine needle-covered easy tread up there along the NCT, and plenty of solitude.

tlbj6142
04-03-2008, 10:53
I hiked a ~33mi section a few years ago. You are correct WRT "decadent shelter campuses". Each stop has has 3-6 shelters (just like the 6 person AT shelters) that includes its own fireplace (with cooking grates) and a heap of pre-cut firewood. His/Hers multi-stall bathrooms and pump water. There is a fee to use them. And a ranger, does stop by them to collect the fee. There are also campsites at most of the stops as well.

Skyline
04-03-2008, 11:06
I hiked a ~33mi section a few years ago. You are correct WRT "decadent shelter campuses". Each stop has has 3-6 shelters (just like the 6 person AT shelters) that includes its own fireplace (with cooking grates) and a heap of pre-cut firewood. His/Hers multi-stall bathrooms and pump water. There is a fee to use them. And a ranger, does stop by them to collect the fee. There are also campsites at most of the stops as well.

They are still pretty rustic, and in a woods setting, but are "decadent" by comparison to 98% of the AT shelters. Especially the pit toilets with separate stalls, sinks, trash cans, toilet paper, and pre-cut firewood.

Maintenance is done, mostly, by state employees who have access to each "campus" via a gravel road which is gated. Depending upon location, some of these access roads are miles long. I doubt the nominal fees cover the true costs of these employees.

My experience with rangers is that they stopped by to confirm whoever is using the shelters has a prepaid reservation. I guess if you didn't, he could just collect the $$$ there, but really you are supposed to reserve in advance.

tlbj6142
04-03-2008, 11:17
My experience with rangers is that they stopped by to confirm whoever is using the shelters has a prepaid reservation. I guess if you didn't, he could just collect the $$$ there, but really you are supposed to reserve in advance.True. But I called at the last minute, so I couldn't pay in advance. I was on the trail in the what was left of hurricane Isabel(?). Quite a bit of rain the day I hiked across the ski slopes. Even so, a ranger found me (I was the only one stupid enough to be out) hanging in my hammock my first night out. He collected money for the current night and the next one.

I'd say it would be a great place for first time backpackers. But not so much for kids as some of the hills were stupid steep (kind of like the AT). The water did have quite a bit of rust in it, but I'd just let my bottles sit upside down overnight (or while on break). Loosen the lid a bit and the rust would just wash out. A couple of drops of AM helped with the hard taste.

The Solemates
04-03-2008, 11:56
So since everyone seems to be from PA, let me get some suggestions for my hike next Thanksgiving.

I was thinking of doing the northville-placid trail but dont think I'll be able to swing the vacation I'd have to take because we've been doing so much playing this year :) And besides that, I'm not sure I want to deal with the dacks in late november. There was plenty of snow up there in October when we went last year.

So, what is a scenic 40-60 mile trail that I could do that is less than 2-3 hrs driving distance from Johnstown, PA area?

anyone know much about http://www.alleghenyfronttrail.info/

or http://www.pahikes.com/ChuckKeiperTrail/default.asp

would the west rim trail be worth the drive?

ki0eh
04-03-2008, 12:52
I've done trail work and dayhikes on much of the CKT and the eastern part of the AFT. You might also want to consider Quehanna Trail - it's an 85 mile loop (I've backpacked some and done trail work on more) however there are several interlinking trails inside the loop so it's feasible to shorten to 60 miles. The Quehanna and the CKT have similar scenery but I just like the Quehanna better for some reason.

You will get much input on all these in the backpacker.com Mid-Atlantic regional forum: http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=682107219 if the link works

Skyline
04-03-2008, 14:17
So since everyone seems to be from PA, let me get some suggestions for my hike next Thanksgiving.

I was thinking of doing the northville-placid trail but dont think I'll be able to swing the vacation I'd have to take because we've been doing so much playing this year :) And besides that, I'm not sure I want to deal with the dacks in late november. There was plenty of snow up there in October when we went last year.

So, what is a scenic 40-60 mile trail that I could do that is less than 2-3 hrs driving distance from Johnstown, PA area?

May I put in another plug for the PA section of the North Country Trail? Get on/off wherever it suits you . . .

www.northcountrytrail.org (http://www.northcountrytrail.org)

Part of it goes through McConnels Mill, Cooks Forest State Park, and Allegheny National Forest.

tlbj6142
04-03-2008, 14:29
May I put in another plug for the PA section of the North Country Trail? Any sections in the western half of PA you'd recommend?

The Solemates
04-03-2008, 15:07
Any sections in the western half of PA you'd recommend?

the whole NCT through PA is on the western half of the state.

tlbj6142
04-03-2008, 15:11
the whole NCT through PA is on the western half of the state.That's right. The NCT enters the state in the NW corner, I was thinking it entered in the NE corner of the state.

So, let me be a bit more specific, what 50-70 mile stretch would you recommend?

Skyline
04-03-2008, 16:49
That's right. The NCT enters the state in the NW corner, I was thinking it entered in the NE corner of the state.

So, let me be a bit more specific, what 50-70 mile stretch would you recommend?

Start at Cook Forest SP from Rt. 36 near the Clarion River, go NOBO (toward NY) thru CFSP, then thru state gamelands (no camping) to Allegheny National Forest. From there on, you're in ANF.

At about 60 miles, you'd come to Rt. 666 (oooooh), and Henrys Mills, near the Tionesta River.

Decent parking at both ends if you have two vehicles or you can get a shuttle. If you're really on your own (one vehicle, no shuttle) it would probably be a logistical nightmare to hitch up there.

If you go to the NCT site, get the four-map set titled "Southern Allegheny National Forest and Cook Forest State Park."

The maps show suggested campsites, parking lots, scenic views, etc. We did find a place to camp near water between Cook Forest and ANF when the NCT briefly left the gamelands and entered the smallish Kittanning State Forest.

Within this stretch, you'll find the NCT follows former logging rail beds, old mountain roads, woods hiking trails reminiscent of the AT, and more. Most of it's relatively easy, but there are some more noticeable ascents/descents starting midway thru. Except for the gamelands, you should be able to find ample places to camp not far from water. Be prepared to meet no one during your hike north of Cook Forest (we actually met two people the third day!).

There is one shelter in this section at Amsler Springs.

This is Natural Gas Country. You will notice, from time to time, that "gas" smell seeping from the underground pipelines in the area. Which told me not to fire up a stove right there. YMMV :D

Jim Adams
04-03-2008, 18:03

How about the Black Forest Trail?...might be the prettiest in Pa.

geek

Pennsylvania Rose
04-04-2008, 11:23
When did the LHT start charging fees? I hiked most of it in 1990, and although we made reservations, I don't remember fees. How much is it?

Jim Adams
04-04-2008, 11:50
$2 / person / night or $6 total for the shelter or campsite

geek

Skyline
04-04-2008, 14:03

geek

More if you're from out-of-state.

Fees are only for using the shelters or campsites. No fees are charged, and no reservations are required, to access the trail (without camping).

The Solemates
04-04-2008, 15:12
none of the fee/reservation rules are enforced.

but i wouldnt know...:eek:

angewrite
04-06-2008, 01:31
FYI- I grew up just a few miles away from the LHT and return to that area often. If anyone needs anything or gets stuck in some way let me know and I can help out. If I'm in the area I'd be thrilled to offer shuttles or whatever. If you plan on hiking this trail in the near future send me a PM and I'll give you my contact information.

-Bobcat

Cookerhiker
04-06-2008, 19:20
When did the LHT start charging fees? I hiked most of it in 1990, and although we made reservations, I don't remember fees. How much is it?

geek

More if you're from out-of-state.

Fees are only for using the shelters or campsites. No fees are charged, and no reservations are required, to access the trail (without camping).

none of the fee/reservation rules are enforced.

but i wouldnt know...:eek:

We were charged $3.50 per person per night. My hiking partner was from PA but we didn't get a discount on his rate.

In our 6 days of hiking, we didn't see any rangers or anyone to collect our fees, not even when we went up to the Park Office.

Re the reservations, I made them but forgot to write down which shelter I had which night. So on our 4th night, we happened to stake out a shelter that someone else had reserved. They were cool about it and took another one. We never had more than one other party sharing shelter sites with us, usually we were alone.

Jim Adams
04-06-2008, 19:27
We were charged $3.50 per person per night. My hiking partner was from PA but we didn't get a discount on his rate.

In our 6 days of hiking, we didn't see any rangers or anyone to collect our fees, not even when we went up to the Park Office.

Re the reservations, I made them but forgot to write down which shelter I had which night. So on our 4th night, we happened to stake out a shelter that someone else had reserved. They were cool about it and took another one. We never had more than one other party sharing shelter sites with us, usually we were alone.

Usually throughout the summer, fall, and winter / spring holiday weekends all of the shelters will be reserved. It is far easier if you just set up in a campsite to start with.:(

geek

Skyline
04-07-2008, 10:08
I did not see Rangers at most of the shelters I used on the LHT. But I did at two of them. In both instances, they arrived by vehicle about dusk, checked the area thoroughly, and asked to see our proof of reservation and ID.

If we did not have reservations (or ID) I don't know what their next move might have been. Hopefully, they would have let us be and simply expected payment on the spot.

The Solemates
04-07-2008, 10:11
I hiked the trail in late November. Significant snow was on the ground. I didnt see a soul other than hunters the entire trail.

tlbj6142
04-07-2008, 10:27
In both instances, they arrived by vehicle about dusk, checked the area thoroughly, and asked to see our proof of reservation and ID.That's what happened to me as well. I had a reservation but could not pay in advance (last minute reservation). The ranger showed up around dusk. He had a list of those that had reservations and monies due. I paid for the next two nights. I did not see one the rest of my trip.

Jim Adams
04-07-2008, 18:06
If you don't have a reservation, they will check your ID and take your info. If there is a shelter available, you can have it, if not you must camp.
If you don't have the money with you, they will still let you stay and just tell you to send the payment into the park office.
The rangers for this trail are about the friendliest, most laid back easy going of any rangers that I've ever met....good people....be nice to them!

geek

Skyline
04-07-2008, 19:21
If you don't have a reservation, they will check your ID and take your info. If there is a shelter available, you can have it, if not you must camp.
If you don't have the money with you, they will still let you stay and just tell you to send the payment into the park office.
The rangers for this trail are about the friendliest, most laid back easy going of any rangers that I've ever met....good people....be nice to them!

geek

They sound like the kind of backcountry rangers others should emulate.

Jim Adams
04-07-2008, 21:04
They sound like the kind of backcountry rangers others should emulate.

Skyline,
They are.
I was out there at -6* with about 6" of snow on the ground. Our reservations were paid ahead of time and the 2 of us were the only registered people on the trail. The ranger stopped just to check on us even though they were familiar with us winter camping and hiking. We had a good fire going in the fireplace, the shelter temp was about 60* and we were sitting in polypro playing cards. He offered to ride us to a local restuarant to have supper with him. We declined, gave him money and invited him to bring three steaks and potatos back with him after work. He hiked in at midnight with the food, we cooked him supper and he stayed the night.In the morning he stated that that was his first time winter camping...we had a great night and in the morning he thanked us and said that he would never summer camp again. When we came out to the trail head to call for a ride, he was there in his personal vehicle and rode us almost 40 miles to our car. HE IS TYPICAL OF THE RANGERS ON THIS TRAIL!

geek

tlbj6142
04-15-2008, 10:35
If you go to the NCT site, get the four-map set titled "Southern Allegheny National Forest and Cook Forest State Park."Would it be this one???

NCTA PA-02: Allegheny National Forest to State Game Land 95- Official 1:100,000 NCTA map 74.9 miles, includes the very southern portion of the Allegheny National Forest; Clear Creek State Forest; Cook Forest State Park; and State Game Lands 24, 283, and 95- available from the Trail Shop (https://salmon.site-secure.net/northcountrytrail/Merchant2/merchant.mv?) last revision 2006

Skyline
04-15-2008, 12:00
Would it be this one???

That sounds about right, but we hiked in 2002 and the date on the map you referenced is 2006. Hopefully it still covers the aame stretch as the four-set map I have from 2002.

I would definitely go with info regarding this that post-dates our 2002 hike. You can probably tell from the NCT website exactly what the new map covers. At worst, you might have to buy the map set for the section just north of the stretch this one is for.

ki0eh
04-15-2008, 12:48
That sounds about right, but we hiked in 2002 and the date on the map you referenced is 2006. Hopefully it still covers the aame stretch as the four-set map I have from 2002.

I would definitely go with info regarding this that post-dates our 2002 hike. You can probably tell from the NCT website exactly what the new map covers. At worst, you might have to buy the map set for the section just north of the stretch this one is for.

I think you also need the one further north/east in PA - a lot of SGL 95 to Clarion still is roadwalk - new trail Clarion to Cook Forest is on that '06 map.

The Solemates
04-15-2008, 12:50
why do you need a map?

http://www.franusich.com/trails/lhht/

or, I used A Hiker’s Guide to the Laurel Highlands Trail, which is available from the Pennsylvania Chapter of the Sierra Club. It was written in the 70s, but worked for me.

tlbj6142
04-15-2008, 12:55
why do you need a map?We're talking about a section of the NCT, not the LHHT.

The Solemates
04-15-2008, 16:17
We're talking about a section of the NCT, not the LHHT.

gotcha..