PDA

View Full Version : Had a thought......

wrongway_08
11-12-2007, 16:49
It seems stupid to carry a rain jacket and a rain cover for the pack.
- the rain jacket will get wear and tear from the pack straps.
- the jacket allows water to drain down the back side of the pack - getting it wet.
- the pack cover is only going to protect the front of the pack
SOOOO,
What if I took the back of my rain jacket and cut out a section that would be the same size as my pack, the added a section to the part I cut off so it would fit around my pack, then reattached the whole thing to the rain jacket.
- This would allow the jacket to cover both me and the pack, keeping everything dry.
- Being that the jacket would just toss over everything, there would be no wear marks from straps rubbing the shoulder area.
- It would only add about 2oz to the jacket.
- Of course it would only work with the one pack, due to being custom fitted to the pack.
1)It would take a little time to do this and I am not worried about screwing up the jacket - I can do the work needed.
2)I just dont want to chop up a $155.00 rain jacket, only to find out it really wasnt worth it.
3)How wet do your packs get when its rainn hard and you have on your rain coat and a rain cover for the pack?

Freeleo
11-12-2007, 16:52
www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com)

$115.00

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 16:52
just get a Packa
www.thepacka.com/

Just a Hiker
11-12-2007, 16:54
No rain jacket or pack cover is perfect......just bring a 25 cent garbage bag to line your pack with and save your rain jacket for what you'll really use it for......walking around town in while your doing laundry.:)

Just Jim

Just a Hiker
11-12-2007, 16:57
just get a Packa
www.thepacka.com/ (http://www.thepacka.com/)

Where the Hell have I been? I just checked out that website....I had no idea those exsisted! Cool!

Just Jim

gaga
11-12-2007, 17:06
ha! ha! ha! you are some funny dudes,here is what you need
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/cat/9

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-12-2007, 17:28
I'm with gaga except I use the Campmor / Equinox version (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9996340) (virtually the same item for $44 instead of about $80)

Also - with a Packa, you have to remove your raingear and pack cover to get to anything in your pack - a royal PITA

Survivor Dave
11-12-2007, 17:36
These all seem to bee great ideas while hiking. My question is what if you don't have to cover your pack if you leave it secured somewhere to walk around town?

I didn't see in those ideas if the additional pack coverage area folds away somewhere. If it does, please enlighten me.

Thanks,

SD

www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com)

$115.00

walkinfool
11-12-2007, 17:37
The Sea to Summit and Equinox versions GaGa and FD mentioned look pretty cool...hadn't seen those before. They're a lot more affordable than a packa, too. I was planning on getting a packa...I think I like that better because you can just leave the pack cover on the pack if you'r expecting rain and if you need to use it as a rain jacket, all you have to do is reach back and pull the jacket around you while you're walking.

walkinfool
11-12-2007, 17:40
According to the people who make the Packa, it doesn't fold away anywhere when you're not wearing a pack. That was my first question when I first heard about it.

gaga
11-12-2007, 17:51
Where the Hell have I been? I just checked out that website....I had no idea those existed! Cool!

Just Jim
i have been a good boy this year and made a wish list whit
what i want for Christmas: some of the new backpacking stuff, but as i can see `Santa-Clause, is not up to date whit the latest gear in backpacking:D

Sly
11-12-2007, 17:55
What happen when it's raining and you want to take your pack off? Either it gets wet or you do. .

wrongway_08
11-12-2007, 18:09
Great! Thanks, now to decided what to get.

Thanks for the ideas...... guess I will have to find anther project to take up my time :)

Just a Hiker
11-12-2007, 18:13
i have been a good boy this year and made a wish list whit
what i want for Christmas: some of the new backpacking stuff, but as i can see `Santa-Clause, is not up to date whit the latest gear in backpacking:D

Santa was in rehab all year, and then Mrs. Clause had him arrested for back child support! He's playing catch up! :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-12-2007, 18:44
The poncho tarps also have some additional uses that no rain jacket can match - they can become impromptu dining canopies for wet-weather stops. You can dress inside one if you want privacy (though they are a bit see-thru - especially in lighter colors). As a couple, we deploy one of our ponchos as a large vestibule in wet weather (meaning we can leave the tent door wide open in most rainstorms for ventilation) and the other gets used for visiting the privy, getting water, etc.

russb
11-12-2007, 19:37
I have used a poncho for 35 years. All the reasons stated so far are why. I now also use it as a GI for the hammock. Poncho has uses limited only by imagination. Then again I am comfortable with mine.

Manach
11-12-2007, 20:07
I now also use it as a GI for the hammock.

GI? :confused:

Jarhead16
11-12-2007, 21:34
You all have given so many ideas to me, thanks!

saimyoji
11-12-2007, 21:41
GI? :confused:

Garlington Insulator?

saimyoji
11-12-2007, 21:42
What happen when it's raining and you want to take your pack off? Either it gets wet or you do. .

With the packa maybe. But with a poncho/tarp there should be "wiggle room."

Summit
11-12-2007, 21:54
In my experience, I tended to sweat too much wearing ponchos, waterproof jackets and the like. I have a Gregory waterproof pack cover for my Gregory Pack (fitted to it perfectly), and as for me, I prefer getting wet but staying warm with the right layers of clothing, depending on how cold the rain is. Bottom line for me is "rain beats sweat hands down!" :p :)

russb
11-12-2007, 22:01
Garlington Insulator?

yes.
What happen when it's raining and you want to take your pack off? Either it gets wet or you do.
With the packa maybe. But with a poncho/tarp there should be "wiggle room." It is even better... with a poncho, you unsnap the arm holes, remove your pack with the poncho still over it (some swing it around to their front, others keep it behind and then turn themselves around after the next step), pull your head down through the opening and then you can get into your pack without it ever leaving the confines of the poncho. I am sure this description is confusing but if you see it in action it is actually quite simple.

Dakota Dan
11-12-2007, 22:36

SEA TO SUMMIT SILICONIZED CORDURA TARP-PONCHO

This is a GREAT looking product, even though I think its too small carry for your only shelter, btw they only advertise "Emergency Tarp", and thats OK.

What I do like is its waterproofness(seam sealed, etc) and its 10 oz weight. You'll save your rain jacket from pack-strap wear, and it should even be cooler than a rain jacket and pack cover combo. I also like the protection outfits like this can allow in heavy snow/ice. You could use this as an addition to your tents rain-fly for cooking or cover in rain. I like this thing a lot. Sea-to-Summit have gotten great reviews on everything I've checked out. So far the cheapest price I've seen is 80 bucks, anybody seen less?

Trillium
11-12-2007, 23:17
So far the cheapest price I've seen is 80 bucks, anybody seen less?Did you check out the Ultralite Extension Poncho Tarp made by Equinox that Frolicking Dinosaur posted about. It is only $45 and seems to be very similar to the packa. I think I'm sold and will order tomorrow.

Dakota Dan
11-12-2007, 23:27
Did you check out the Ultralite Extension Poncho Tarp made by Equinox that Frolicking Dinosaur posted about. It is only $45 and seems to be very similar to the packa. I think I'm sold and will order tomorrow.

Yea, but I just hate to seal seams, I'd love to get the 2 side by side and compare. I'm not going to pay the 80 bucks, but if I can get a cheaper price I'd probably get the Sea-to-Summit, because I know it will be waterproof when I get it.

Cedar Tree
11-13-2007, 19:05
It seems stupid to carry a rain jacket and a rain cover for the pack.
- the rain jacket will get wear and tear from the pack straps.
- the jacket allows water to drain down the back side of the pack - getting it wet.
- the pack cover is only going to protect the front of the pack
SOOOO,
What if I took the back of my rain jacket and cut out a section that would be the same size as my pack, the added a section to the part I cut off so it would fit around my pack, then reattached the whole thing to the rain jacket.
- This would allow the jacket to cover both me and the pack, keeping everything dry.
- Being that the jacket would just toss over everything, there would be no wear marks from straps rubbing the shoulder area.
- It would only add about 2oz to the jacket.
- Of course it would only work with the one pack, due to being custom fitted to the pack.

Thanks FreeLeo and Lone Wolf for recognizing the Packa. Great idea Wrongway, but luckily for me, and unfortunately for you, I had it about 8 years ago. But, your description is exactly how the first Packa was made. I used a red ledge jacket and an OR packcover. Put the packcover on the pack, put the jacket on, put your pack on. Pull the packcover as close to your back as you can. (this process takes 2 people). Draw an oval on the back of the jacket around where the packcover hits. Cut this hole out, sew the packcover to the hole and you got yourself a Packa. I recommend this process to people who want a packa, but don't want to pay my US manufactured price. This is pretty easy to do, and it makes a good Packa.

As for issues addressed in this thread:

You do have to deal with covering your pack if you want to be separated from your pack while it is raining. Put your tarp or ground cloth in an easily accessible place, cover the pack, wear the Packa. It is possible to slip your pack out from under the Packa without removing the Packa. In all my years of hiking with the Packa, this has happened to me maybe 2 or 3 times. It is not that often you need to be separated from your pack while it is raining.

Also, you can wear the Packa without a pack, but yes you will have a big floppy packcover on your back. It works around camp fine. Be careful you don't hang the packcover on a picnic table bench. Cinch the packcover drawstring up a little and you want notice its there. I have a narrow vision with the Packa. It is not a multi-use item. It is designed for specifically 1 thing...walking with a pack on in cold or rainy weather.

I've used ponchos. IMO it is hard to put a poncho on by yourself. And I got soaked in a very windy rainstorm using a poncho on my thruhike. Wind is the biggest problem with ponchos. Plus, they are inadequate as shelters, at least for me. The design of the Packa allows the user to wear it as a pack cover only at first, which is most of the time. But then, when it rains, you pull the jacket out without removing your pack. I can go from packcover only to fully covered in about 15 seconds. Who likes hiking in their raingear when it is not raining? When it starts to rain Do you stop, remove your pack, take out your jacket, put it on, put your pack back on, start walking? Then it stops raining 5 minutes later, and you reverse the process?

For you poncho users, check this out:
http://www.altus.es/default.aspx?info=00022D
This is the closest thing I've seen so far that looks like the Packa. It has a front zipper and sleeves, but no drawstring around the pack. So its not quite a Packa yet.

Now a game. If you've read this thread, you deserve a chance at a Packa. I am in communication with an overseas company about manufacturing the Packa. Hopefully the price will come down substantially if this company eventually makes the Packa. But we are a very long way from closure.

Nonetheless, the next person to post on this thread with the name of the country in which this manufacturer is located will receive a free Packa.

I will give you 1 hint. The name of my product is the Packa.

Cedar Tree

Cedar Tree

Skidsteer
11-13-2007, 19:11
Pakistan.

High Altitude
11-13-2007, 19:12
Czechoslovakia

Cedar Tree
11-13-2007, 19:15
Pakistan.

That was too easy I guess, didn't take long. Send me an email or PM Skidsteer and I will hook you up. Thanks to everyone for playing.

CT

High Altitude
11-13-2007, 19:15
Czech republic/slovakia

I guess I keep forgeting my history.

Skidsteer
11-13-2007, 19:18
That was too easy I guess, didn't take long. Send me an email or PM Skidsteer and I will hook you up. Thanks to everyone for playing.

CT

Awesome! You're my hero!

Skidsteer
11-13-2007, 19:51
Awesome! You're my hero!

You know what's cool? I've been wanting to try one since I saw it at TD '05. :sun

Tinker
11-14-2007, 02:36
The poncho tarps also have some additional uses that no rain jacket can match - they can become impromptu dining canopies for wet-weather stops. You can dress inside one if you want privacy (though they are a bit see-thru - especially in lighter colors). As a couple, we deploy one of our ponchos as a large vestibule in wet weather (meaning we can leave the tent door wide open in most rainstorms for ventilation) and the other gets used for visiting the privy, getting water, etc.

A poncho is a wonderful thing to have in cooler weather. They aren't as hot as a rain jacket in warm weather, but I hardly ever wear raingear when it's above, say, 65 degrees.

If you use a poncho, it's often a good idea to tie a cord around your waist to gather the poncho so it doesn't blow open (as much) on the sides.
As the post above mentions, you can just duck your head inside in rainy weather, remove your pack, and eat your lunch inside. If you bring a few stakes, you can stake it out and use a hiking pole for a center support after closing up the hood opening and have a spacious solo dining tent.

I have a poncho and a rain jacket. I use both. Bottom line for protecting stuff in your pack is to place it all into a large plastic bag. If your pack gets wet, the stuff inside will stay dry as long as the bag doesn't get any holes in it.