PDA

View Full Version : Conditions around Killington

dabjrnl
11-12-2007, 17:13
I'm trying to put together a hike for the upcoming weekend for either PA or VT depending on weather and conditions. Has anyone been to the Killington area recently that can comment on Trail conditions and water sources (specifically Cooper Lodge)? I'm wondering if there is much snow and ice up there yet.

Thanks.

Just a Hiker
11-12-2007, 17:16
The ski resort may be making snow at this point.

oops56
11-12-2007, 17:54
Yep they are making snow i can see the mountain from my house there is snow up there. the wheather for the next 3 days some rain down here so up there snow.

max patch
11-12-2007, 18:53
Heres a pic taken at Killington today. More at killington.com:

http://www.killington.com/winter/mountain/interactive_gallery/daily_photos/pictureoftheday87/@@image

dabjrnl
11-13-2007, 11:18
Thanks for the info everyone.:) I was on the Killington site the other day. They can actually produce up to a foot of snow a day with their snow making equipment on specific runs. They have a web cam that you can control from the site and although the runs have snow it looks like the surrounding woods are still clear.

I guess my main concern this weekend is not the cold/wind but ice on the Trail. I had planned to just have boots (don't have crampons or showshoes) but I don't want to put myself and group in a potentially dangerous situation on ice at that elevation. I'm going to continue to monitor the weather conditions closely and if anyone has been on this section of the Trail recently (103 to Gifford Woods) I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks again,
El Gato

max patch
11-13-2007, 11:38
I bet you could find out what you need to know by calling/emailing Killington directly.

Deadeye
11-13-2007, 11:43
I was on Camel's Hump yesterday - similar elevation to Killington, but about 50 miles north. At about 2000 feet, there was enough snow and ice on the trail so that I put on my stablicers - essentially pull-on rubbers with lug nuts for traction. By 2500 feet - all those places where the trail is usually damp were covered in thick sheets of ice. Above 3500 feet, it was a winter wonderland.

The snowmaking will only be on ski trails, and won't bother you at all, but If you're heading this far north, you will need something for traction on ice - there's plenty of it, and it won't disappear overnight 'cause it's pretty thick in places already.

rafe
11-14-2007, 09:35
I was on Mt. Monadnock with my nephew on Monday -- that's southern NH. Summit is a bit over 3000 feet. Ice was already starting to accumulate in places, though it could be worked around. Overnight temps below freezing for a couple of weeks now in the Boston 'burbs.

Deadeye
11-14-2007, 10:49
I was on Mt. Monadnock with my nephew on Monday -- that's southern NH. Summit is a bit over 3000 feet. Ice was already starting to accumulate in places, though it could be worked around. Overnight temps below freezing for a couple of weeks now in the Boston 'burbs.

The trouble with "worked around" is that's damaging the trail. This time of year is considered "second mud season" until the ground is frozen and snow-covered.

rafe
11-14-2007, 11:57
The trouble with "worked around" is that's damaging the trail. This time of year is considered "second mud season" until the ground is frozen and snow-covered.

OK, cool. Tho I was talking about a mountain a couple hours away from Killington. FWIW, there were hundreds of schoolchildren on that trail on Monday.