PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Pole Gloves

Summit
11-12-2007, 20:44
I will be going on my next hike using trekking poles for the first time (Komperdell C3s). My question to you seasoned trekking pole users is: Do you use your poles with or without gloves? If you use them, please provide recommendations. For those who don't use them, do you have any problems with blisters, tenderness, or rubbing? Thanks!

fonsie
11-12-2007, 20:49
Well it's getting cold out and I weir fleece gloves. Just for the fact your hands do sweet, but the handles of the poles still stay cold. So like glove liners are the best thing that way your hands dont get to cold or to sweety.

Phreak
11-12-2007, 20:49
I will be going on my next hike using trekking poles for the first time (Komperdell C3s). My question to you seasoned trekking pole users is: Do you use your poles with or without gloves? If you use them, please provide recommendations. For those who don't use them, do you have any problems with blisters, tenderness, or rubbing? Thanks!

Never had any issues with blisters, tenderness or rubbing. I hike with gloves if my hands get cold enough.

I use Gates Windstoppers for mild temps and Mountain Hardwear Flipside for colder temps.

FanaticFringer
11-12-2007, 21:22
I use gloves with my poles but only if it's cold enough to need gloves in the first place.

Alligator
11-12-2007, 21:37
I've gotten a hot spot with plastic handled ones before, very small though. I've got a fairly old pair compared to newer ones. I only wear gloves when it's cold out.

earthbound
11-12-2007, 21:40
My poles have cork handles which I really like and I've never had problems with blisters, ect. I wear gloves when its cold though.

bigcranky
11-12-2007, 21:47
My daughter wears cycling gloves in warmer weather, as she has issues with blisters on the inside of her thumbs.

Brushy Sage
11-13-2007, 12:06
I wear lightweight North Face gloves when I am using the hiking poles -- they prevent bruising and blisters.

Cookerhiker
11-13-2007, 12:11
Other than for cold weather hand protection, I never use gloves. Even on the most humid day of sweating profusely, I never lose my grip on the poles. I've got Black Diamond poles where the covering extends down the pole so when I need to "shorten up," I'm still not touching the metal.

Summit
11-13-2007, 13:09
Thanks for all your feedback. While a couple of you mentioned using gloves, enough don't to lead me to try without them first. I have some wool fingerless gloves that I always carry unless it's very warm weather, that should do the trick if I experience rubbing or get cold hands. I had read somewhere that cycling gloves were highly recommended to use with poles, but based on your experiences I'll at least try my new poles out without specialized gloves first. Thanks again!

Marta
11-13-2007, 13:29
Some of the glove/no glove decision depends on your mileage and terrain. If you're hiking short miles (whatever that is for you), gloves aren't necessary. If you're hiking long miles (for you), especially on steep terrain, you'll end up putting a lot more pressure on your hands, especially as your knees start to complain in the later part of the day.

As someone said above, when you use poles, your hands get colder than if you're not using poles. There are some kinds of gloves that will get torn up pretty quickly if you use them with poles. Sturdier gloves and mittens, such as thick fleece or ragg wool hold up pretty well.

I have crappy knees and tend to plan ambitious (for me) hikes, so I usually wear gloves. (Gloves also protect the backs of my hands from sun, which, given the state of my skin, is a good thing.) I use three kinds:
1) hot/warm weather--fingerless cycling gloves
2) cool/wet weather--full-finger neoprene cycling gloves
3) below 40 degrees--wool gloves or mittens, with silnylon bags over them when it's very cold.

EMAN
11-13-2007, 13:44
I use gloves all the time. I just go to AutoZne or Home Depot and get some of those mechanic gloves. In winetr I use liners under those if need be.
I just feel more comfortable with gloves. I have fallen and cut the crap out of my hand and there are times when you need a better, possibly more protective grip than you have with bare hands.
Othet than that, I reckon it's just a comfort thing.

Footslogger
11-13-2007, 13:51
============================

Only use glove in the winter and then generally only use polypro liners, occasionally with rain mitts over them.

At the beginning of a hike I sometimes get a rub/blister on the inside of the mid thumb ...but it tends to go away after a couple days.

I have learned over time NOT to grip the poles too tightly while I am hiking and even at times to open and close my fingers around the grips. I let the heel of my hand rest on the strap and adjust my grip to avoid getting cramps in my hands and to maintain good circulation and nerve stimulation.

'Slogger