PDA

View Full Version : Messages from the IAT Chairman

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-13-2007, 00:36
I am starting this thread to share information that I receive from the IAT about progress on the developing the trail.

I had the following email From the IAT chairman today:

Friends and Supporters of the IATNL,

IATNL executive members Arne Helgeland, Kevin Noseworthy, Trevor Pilgrim and myself met in Roddickton on the northeast corner of the Northern Peninsula this past weekend to prepare a 2008 development plan for the Roddickton-Conche-Croque section of the IATNL.

Saturday was a beautiful sunny day (as you can see from the photos below) which enabled us to get a good look from the trailheads at Conche and Croque.

Add a magnificent iceberg or two and a pod of whales and you can see the full potential of this planned section of the IATNL.

Happy Trails!
Paul Wylezol
Chairperson
IATNL
This map (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Conche-CroqueNov122007s.jpg) and these amazing photos were attached:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Conche-CroqueNov102007016e3s.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Conche-CroqueNov102007035e3s.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Conche-CroqueNov102007052e2s.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Conche-CroqueNov102007055es.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Conche-CroqueNov102007077es.jpg

emerald
11-13-2007, 00:48
I just spent about an hour Googling and bookmarking information about Newfoundland. I think I won't have any rest until I've seen it myself.

Go here to see just one link (http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/OutdoorAdventures/Hiking.aspx) I bookmarked. It might hold your attention for an hour.

vaporjourney
11-13-2007, 01:19
I should add that NFLD is easily one of the 3 coolest places I've been in my life. After finishing the AT this year, I spent over a month hitchhiking around Canada, and hitching all the way north in NFLD was by far the highlight. I probably did what most people did when they roadwalk the IAT up there, and took the Viking Trail all the way north to St Anthony (well, ok, the IAT goes to L'anse Aux Meadows). This province is phenomenal and sooo soo beautiful. The people were incredibly unique, and went beyond 'southern hospitality'. Gros Morne park was absolutely mind blowing. If I had some of my backpacking gear with me, I would have loved to hike back in there. There is a hostel at the border of the park which I stayed at, and the guy who owned it does a guide service thru the park. Apparently there is a pretty popular traverse that is totally trail-less, going through fjords and pristine wilderness. This is one place I absolutely must return to. You could easily spend over a month there, and still have so much to see. Those pictures are beautiful.

emerald
11-13-2007, 01:32
Gros Morne park was absolutely mind blowing.

Thanks for your post.

Parks Canada - Gros Morne National Park (http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/index_E.asp)

When I suggested an IAT thread and talked of Newfoundland previously, this is where I'd hoped to go with it -- links, pics and 1st-hand experiences of those who are building the trail and who have been to Newfoundland.

Jeff
11-13-2007, 08:52
vaporjourney,

What month did you visit Newfoundland? Is that the best time of year for backpacking?

woodsy
11-13-2007, 21:44
The official IAT website (http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/index)
may be posted elsewhere on WB but thought it would go well with this thread.
Browse around at the link for answers to many of your questions. Click on thru-hikers and see if you know or have heard of some of these hikers that have done this trail .
I have not been to Newfoundland yet but have seen it from afar while standing attop the mountains at Cape Bretton National Park in the far northeast of Nova Scotia. The Cape Bretton Highlands, where mountains meet sea. is truly the most beautiful place i've seen anywhere on the East Coast of North America. I can just imagine what Newfoundland must be like from listening to others that have been there.
IAT Trail maps/guides (http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/SIAIAT_Pages/route)

vaporjourney
11-21-2007, 11:27
vaporjourney,

What month did you visit Newfoundland? Is that the best time of year for backpacking?

I was in NFLD in mid-september, which would be an amazing time for backpacking there. I'm not sure what the other months are like, but the 3 days I was there were sunny and temps around 70*. Sadly I can't remember the name of one hike people told me about, but I believe the trailhead was off of the Viking Trail (main road), and takes you to some phenomenal fjord with mountains towering all around...like this: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/5/7341913_94f9513e33.jpg?v=0

side note: I took a look at the IAT map thru NFLD, and was amazed that the trail to the eastern shore and follows that north to its terminus. I expected it to be road walking, which could easily take you to Lans'e Aux Meadows, but instead it takes you through Conche. I recall a local telling me that Conche was the most beautiful area, in a province full of beautiful areas, that he had ever seen. Apparently he saw whales, bald eagles, and icebergs all from one spot. All of this talk of 'The Rock' makes me want to get back there badly.

canerunner
11-21-2007, 11:55
I was in Newfoundland during August of 2000, and I can tell you for sure that it is some beautiful territory!

I was there for work, so my fun time was limited, but I can confirm that the views to be had are phenominal, and the weather during the later summer months is quite pleasant (provided you don't have any tropical weather drifting your way).

Most of the island is uninhabited, so there are a lot of places that you can have serious solitude. Virtually all of the major towns are located right on the Trans-Can highway, and even the smaller towns are mostly along the coast.

I've been trying to find another opprotunity to go for a longer visit, but then I have too many other places that I have to go.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2007, 10:13
News article sent to me by IAT is attached

emerald
12-04-2007, 15:23
Thanks for the map Dinosaurus.;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2007, 15:28
Thanks for the map Dinosaurus.;)I'm on their emailing list as part of helping get info out on the board about this developing resource.

Caveman of Ohio
12-20-2007, 20:11
Is there a official route in place in New Foundland for the IAt?

Appalachian Tater
12-20-2007, 20:18
Is it possible for the AT to become part of the IAT? Or will the IAT become part of the AT?

Personally, I like the sound of "International Appalachian Trail". It sounds important and is a better description of the scope of the trail. Maybe even go with "Appalachian Trail International".

Tin Man
12-20-2007, 20:20
Is it possible for the AT to become part of the IAT? Or will the IAT become part of the AT?

Personally, I like the sound of "International Appalachian Trail". It sounds important and is a better description of the scope of the trail. Maybe even go with "Appalachian Trail International".

Or not.

Appalachian Tater
12-20-2007, 20:23
Or not.

Oh, you like "Appalachian International Trail" better than either of those?

Tin Man
12-20-2007, 20:23
Oh, you like "Appalachian International Trail" better than either of those?

It is the AT and it will not change...or move. ;)

Appalachian Tater
12-20-2007, 20:26
It is the AT and it will not change...or move. ;) It's already changed. It now goes up to Newfoundland and is linked all the way down to Key West. People need to wake up and smell the coffee. A small part of the IAT is in the US, anyway.

Tin Man
12-20-2007, 20:28
It's already changed. It now goes up to Newfoundland and is linked all the way down to Key West. People need to wake up and smell the coffee. A small part of the IAT is in the US, anyway.

Connecting trails are not part of the official AT, but you know that, so I will leave you with this thought: It is the AT, now and for the foreseeable future.

Appalachian Tater
12-20-2007, 20:32
Connecting trails are not part of the official AT, but you know that, so I will leave you with this thought: It is the AT, now and for the foreseeable future.
They should and will be. I understand how hard it is to change one's conception of something that goes from A to B to include A to C.

ed bell
12-20-2007, 20:37
It's already changed. It now goes up to Newfoundland and is linked all the way down to Key West. People need to wake up and smell the coffee. A small part of the IAT is in the US, anyway.Footpaths are what they are, and link together as the travellers walk them. No arguement there. The AT is between Springer and Katahdin. A way to walk to Newfoundland from Katahdin exists. (always has, BTW, one foot after the other:sun) A way to walk from Springer to Key West exists. Calling it what you wish is no problem, but the termini of the AT will not change in any sort of future that I see.:cool:

JAK
12-20-2007, 20:43
News article sent to me by IAT is attachedLOL. That post with the big ugly car ad reminded my of Shipping News by Annie Proulx. :)

JAK
12-20-2007, 20:46
Oh, you like "Appalachian International Trail" better than either of those?We think you should change your name first. :D

Appalachian Tater International

Tin Man
12-20-2007, 20:49
We think you should change your name first. :D

Appalachian Tater International

Perhaps he should hike the IAT first, then he could call himself International Appalachian Tater.

Appalachian Tater
12-20-2007, 21:00
Perhaps he should hike the IAT first, then he could call himself International Appalachian Tater.

I didn't name myself. I'm not even particularly fond of it. But I had barely started on the AT when I got that name. I guess since I stepped past the sign on Katahdin onto the IAT, I could be Appalachian Tater International. Great idea.

Kirby
12-28-2007, 23:16
From what the founder of the IAT said at a presentation, the moment he went public with the idea of extending the AT to Newfoundland, the ATC, quite quickly, released a public statement stating that the Appalachian Trail runs from Springer to Katahdin. This why he dubbed it the International Appalachian Trail, instead of the Appalachian Trail.

He also said he holding meetings with European officials about having some sections of the IAT across the pond. He wants to have one trail that traverses the mountains in eastern Europe that were once connected to the Appalachian Mountains before the contient split.

Very interesting.

Kirby

emerald
12-28-2007, 23:28
A way to walk to Newfoundland from Katahdin exists.

Maybe you need to improve your map reading skills.:-?

Kirby
12-29-2007, 09:56
Maybe you need to improve your map reading skills.:-?

There's a boat ride somewhere along the journey, right?

Kirby

woodsy
12-29-2007, 10:31
There's a boat ride somewhere along the journey, right?

Kirby
Nope, you gotta swim w/pack to qualify for the IAT patch.

emerald
12-29-2007, 11:40
Keep it up, woodsy, I'll post a Canadian link of a cat.;)

Tin Man
12-29-2007, 12:10
Nope, you gotta swim w/pack to qualify for the IAT patch.

I thought you had to ford.

woodsy
12-29-2007, 12:39
I thought you had to ford.

You have to be able to touch bottom to ford.
The Gulf of ST Lawrence is bottomless in places.
Me, heck with the patch, i'm taking the Canada links CAT

emerald
12-29-2007, 12:44
No ordinary Ford could bridge that much open water!;)

emerald
12-29-2007, 12:51
I like the idea of a trail where no human can qualify for a patch or live to brag about it.:welcome

emerald
12-29-2007, 14:38
The Gulf of ST Lawrence is bottomless in places.

When I studied at UMO, I met a student from Newfoundland whose employer sent him there to study aquaculture. Given sufficient beer and smokes, he could talk of Atlantis until the sun came up.;)

hammock engineer
01-02-2008, 19:46
I remember reading on one of the IAT sites that you have to stay at shelters of campgrounds for part or all of it. Along with having to buy expensive permits. Anyone know the details on this?

Frosty
01-02-2008, 21:10
A way to walk to Newfoundland from Katahdin exists.

Maybe you need to improve your map reading skills.:-?I'm missing your point. Are you saying it is not possible to walk to Newfoundland from Katahdin? Why ever not?

How about from Springer to Katahdin?

Appalachian Tater
01-02-2008, 21:27
You could walk from Springer to Katahdin but there are no bridges to Newfoundland.

vaporjourney
01-08-2008, 18:38
I remember reading on one of the IAT sites that you have to stay at shelters of campgrounds for part or all of it. Along with having to buy expensive permits. Anyone know the details on this?

I believe the only section where this is required is in northern Quebec. I spoke to one thru-hiker about the expensive cost of the permits/reservations for the cabins (~$200 CAD), and he said it was totally worth it to stay for weeks on end in the fantastic 4 walled cabins, with flawlessly groomed trails. Up in Newfoundland, I don't think there is much infrastructure at all. Hell, the people in NFLD are so cool, you could easily camp on someone's property, and they wouldn't care at all.

I think there is a serious ford somewhere in the middle of Newfoundland that requires you to get someone to ferry you across. This is in a remote part of the land, so you'd just have to find a guy with a boat to help out. Now this sounds fun!

it's interesting to see that Prince Edward Island wants to be considered to be on the trail as well. When I went through there, I don't recall seeing a single mountain. Just lots of beautiful rolling foothills. It would be really fun to walk through here, but i wonder if they are starting to lose their vision at the IAT?

emerald
05-26-2008, 09:08
Click on The Western Star (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=630566#post630566) to read an article posted to WhiteBlaze on May 26, 2008 with information provided by Paul Wylezol. I'm linking the article here for IAT enthusiasts who come along later and may not find it otherwise.