PDA

View Full Version : Comparing NJ/PA to other AT states

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 01:40
Im just trying to get a "general" idea of how NJ/PA compares to the rest of the AT. All of my hikes have been in the Delaware Water Gap area (on both sides). Im just trying to get an idea of what the trails like both north and south. I know that NJ/PA/NY are famous for their rocks but besides that I dont know much. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks guys.

A-Train
11-13-2007, 02:11
I guess the AT around the Water Gap is close to your "average" trail, though its hard to characterize the AT in general. It can be very steep, very flat and everything in between. I will say, the trail around Sunfish Pond features some of the most heinous rock sections of the whole AT, except for a few sections in central PA. The descent into and ascent out of DWG is similar to what you have when coming into and leaving most towns on the trail, though these drops and climbs can be a lot longer, especially down south and in new england.

I wouldn't worry too much. This area was my backyard growing up in NYC and most of my AT miles were in the mid-atlantic before I set out on a thru-hike. You'll be pretty prepared if you keep an open mind.

Kerosene
11-13-2007, 04:45
To me, I think the AT south of Maryland is much easier for the section hiker, primarily because the trail surface tends to be much smoother, allowing the hiker to stride without turning your ankle or slipping on wet rock or roots. The ascents and descents are longer than PA/NJ, but even then they tend to be better switch-backed. The reward-to-effort ratio is much greater outside the Mid-Atlantic states.

I always thought that the stretch from NY to central VT was pretty easy, with some nice variety that differs from PA/NJ. The AT gets a lot harder as it enters the Whites in NH, where the trail forces a lot of rock hopping that cuts at least 1 mph from your normal pace, and poor weather has a greater impact on daily mileage and safety. I haven't done Maine yet, but I've been told that it's similar to the northern section of the Long Trail, which had an incredible amount of rocks and roots, with rugged climbs and descents (but very memorable).

If you can do section hikes in PA/NJ then you'll be fine with everything south of NH. I suggest that you increase your workout regimen before you section the northern part of the AT.

Cookerhiker
11-13-2007, 08:09
Because of the low elevation in NJ & PA, by definition you have no single ascents/descents more than about 1,000' e.g. Lehigh Gap. In addition to NH and points north as Kerosene mentioned, you also have some long ascents/descents of 2,000-3,000' in the South especially in North Carolina & Tennessee. They may not be as rocky as the north but they're long and in some cases, steep treks.

And there are some rocks in Virginia as well. I still remember (and I described it on another thread) a particularly rough stretch (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92493) nearly 4 miles north of Bailey Gap a few days out of Pearisburg.

jersey joe
11-13-2007, 09:21
I agree with the above posts but would throw in that growing up hiking in NJ I never experienced long stretches of trail out in the open like you will experiene in the south going over balds and through the highlands. I had a few run ins with LIGHTNING!!!

rafe
11-13-2007, 09:27
NJ and PA are pretty flat by AT standards. The only challenge all might be the rocks. NJ has really nice views in places... that was surprising to me.

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 11:38
I know that elevation wise they would be considered "flat" but difficulty. Climbing a 1600 feet in elevation in 1 mile is alot different than doing it in 5 you know. How would you guys compare it that way? I guess in difficulty.

Cookerhiker
11-13-2007, 11:53
I find that rocky footing is harder on downhills and straights but not on uphills. If you're focusing on the difficulty of climbs & ascents, then NJ & PA are among the easiest IMO. As I said earlier, the South has some 2-3,000' ascents which are more difficult than any uphill in NJ or PA. And then there's New Hampshire & Maine where the only easy stretches are scattered (first part of NH, Maine around Sabbath Day Pond, portions of the 100 mile wilderness).

Another factor is the ridges in PA east of the Susquehanna and NJ 'till High Point are rather straight & narrow so your only ups and downs are at gaps. You have some long straight ( occasionally rocky) stretches but you don't have the up-and-down roller coasters like Georgia, North Carolina, parts of Virginia, New York, parts of Connecticut.

rafe
11-13-2007, 12:09
I know that elevation wise they would be considered "flat" but difficulty. Climbing a 1600 feet in elevation in 1 mile is alot different than doing it in 5 you know. How would you guys compare it that way? I guess in difficulty.

Where on the AT do you gain 1600 feet in 1 mile????

Cookerhiker
11-13-2007, 12:13

What about the Katahdin ascent to the Tableland?

rafe
11-13-2007, 12:38
What about the Katahdin ascent to the Tableland?

I don't have my profile maps in front of me, but IIRC the very steepest climbs on the AT are around 1000 feet per mile. This thread is about the trail in PA. The more typical PA hike is: 700-1000 feet up from a gap, 10-12 miles of level trail, then 700' down and back up to the next (level) ridge. Continue until reaching DWG or Pen Mar...

Uncle Silly
11-13-2007, 12:46

Reread his post, terrapin. He's not pointing out a specific, just examples of the difference in difficulty between two climbs. He's asking for a comparison (of NJ/PA vs other AT states, per thread topic) along a particular axis (type of difficulty, ie, steepness). In other words, he's just trying to refine his question.

Vince
11-13-2007, 12:56
I think Sassafrass in GA is 1400 in one mile, no?

Lone Wolf
11-13-2007, 13:06
there are no 1400 foot in 1 mile climbs in the south on the AT

dabjrnl
11-13-2007, 15:51
I'd say that the treadway is the issue in PA/NJ because of all the fractured, splintered boulders and rocks. It is more difficult to get into a rhythm and keep a steady pace. There is a section north of Wind Gap that seems to me to be like a poorly constructed cobblestone street without rounded stones. Eventually though, your ankles get loose and you just kinda glide through. Like A-Train, I did a ton of hiking in north Jersey and PA when I was a kid. Once I got the chance to hike between Amicalola and Fontana a few years ago I thought I was in heaven. What nice Trail!

Bottom line is.. Jersey/PA is a nice intro to AT hiking but each state, each section has its own character. It's all good! Start branching out and experience it.

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 16:23
Reread his post, terrapin. He's not pointing out a specific, just examples of the difference in difficulty between two climbs. He's asking for a comparison (of NJ/PA vs other AT states, per thread topic) along a particular axis (type of difficulty, ie, steepness). In other words, he's just trying to refine his question.

Exactally. That post wasnt meant for any specific hike on the AT, just tring to detail my question a little further.

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 16:24
I'd say that the treadway is the issue in PA/NJ because of all the fractured, splintered boulders and rocks. It is more difficult to get into a rhythm and keep a steady pace. There is a section north of Wind Gap that seems to me to be like a poorly constructed cobblestone street without rounded stones. Eventually though, your ankles get loose and you just kinda glide through. Like A-Train, I did a ton of hiking in north Jersey and PA when I was a kid. Once I got the chance to hike between Amicalola and Fontana a few years ago I thought I was in heaven. What nice Trail!

Bottom line is.. Jersey/PA is a nice intro to AT hiking but each state, each section has its own character. It's all good! Start branching out and experience it.

I cant wait until I can do that. Possible thru hike next year! :D

rafe
11-13-2007, 17:31
Exactally. That post wasnt meant for any specific hike on the AT, just tring to detail my question a little further.

In terms of steepness or vertical elevation change per day, PA is pretty easy by AT standards. Biggest challenge in PA will be the rocks (tough on the ankles, in places) and finding water. And boredom. ;)

Appalachian Tater
11-13-2007, 20:23
PA seems to have a lot of rattlesnakes and NJ a lot of bears. Also water is fairly scarce in parts of PA compared to other sections of the trail.