PDA

View Full Version : Hiking items for Christmas

Tennessee Viking
11-13-2007, 03:29
I am looking to further stock up on my hiking supplies, and hoping Santa can help. So far, I have a frame pack and sleeping bag, now I need a reliable tent. Looking for something simple and lightweight for 1-2 people. I am also looking into a ceramic water filter system.

Any suggestions?

rob123ufl
11-13-2007, 05:16
Marmot aeolus 2, MSR hubba hubba, MSR sweetwater (kind of on the heavy/bulkier side)..these are sort of if money is not an issue. If money is no issue and youre not completely set on ceramic, I recommend the steri-pen for water purification (i feel the MSR Miox is a glorified chlorine tablet). But then again we know money is always an issue

rob123ufl
11-13-2007, 05:19
ps i forgot to mention, it doesnt get simpler than the MSR Hubba or Hubba Hubba (the two person)... Believe it or not, they both put up with just one tent pole. The Marmot Aeolus is simple because it has an integrated rainfly and is pretty damn light itself. There's my two cents.

TOW
11-13-2007, 07:20
As far as a tent is concerned, my suggestion is that you opt either for the Mountain Hardware Kiva TeePee or a Black Diamond mid pole system.

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 16:30
How light are you trying to go? Are you definetly looking for a real tent or is a tarp tent an option? Cant really get any lighter than that.

taildragger
11-13-2007, 17:11
I'd go with a tarp, tarptent, or hammack system. A rainbow or a 10x10 tarp would be real nice