PDA

View Full Version : the ultimate weight loss plan

rob123ufl
11-13-2007, 04:37
I'm going for it March 2008, GA to ME. I've thought about it, and about the only way i could think to enjoy losing this damn weight is being on trail. Ive spent a lot of time out of doors, and it never ceases to amaze and challenge.

I am aiming this question to the larger gentlemen who have thru-hiked or are planning to (ladies feel free to answer, but i know there are physiological differences that keep us from losing weight at similar paces): I am 21 years old. I am in good shape, underneath this 270 or so pounds. Mentally, I am prepared for the 2 or 3 months of strain before i get in real hiking shape. Can any of you gentlemen, or ladies, offer me some general advice about starting out? (like what if my jacket doesnt fit when i hit Harper's ferry? etc etc). I don't know, I'm just looking to get into a reaally good head-space before I embark.

The General
11-13-2007, 07:07
1. Keep your pack weight as light as you can.
2. Take your time.
3. Do not overstretch yourself in the first couple of months keep your mileage within your limit.

you will lose weight just through the constant exercise. no need to replace your jacket you will just have a little more room. You will need to change your pants unless you are going to go Commando plenty of good places to do this along the trail.

Remember. Too far, too Heavy and too fast = off the trail

enjoy the AT weight loss program it's the best diet you will ever have.

LIhikers
11-13-2007, 07:52
I haven't thru hiked, my wife and I just do 1 and 2 week sections at a time, and even in that short time I loose some weight. The General gave you some good advice in the post above. Also, try not to become discouraged if it seems like a lot of people can go farther or faster than you can. Have a great hike!

mrc237
11-13-2007, 08:03
Limit your town visits. Thats the worse time for you when on a weight loss hike. Afterall I deserve it I just hiked 50 miles from the last town I deserve those two pints of Ben and Jerrys and maybe just a six pack for the room. Your youth will help, just don't give up. You won't have many problems on trail as off. I think that goes for every hiker that has food issues. Try and hook up with like minded hikers, have fun, kick ass! Stay tuned to this site and ask this question again when near two weeks of your hike. Good Luck!

shuffle
11-13-2007, 08:25
I started with a lot of extra weight and in 2-3 months I had lost 60 plus pounds. My partner said he could see it in my face and other parts of me as we progressed along. I tried on clothes at the motel in Pearisburg that had not fit me before I left for the trail and they were falling off of me. It was great. But when you finish you have to watch carefully or it will come back on without the daily hiking. I will be back out there March of 2008 and hope to have most of my winter weight off to start out healthier and lighter. Make sure you take your time and don't over extend yourself because it catches up in the end and go slow at first until you get your hiker legs. You will enjoy it more.

Roots
11-13-2007, 08:41
My husband and I have gone through major body transformations in the past 4 months. I believe he has lost around 70 to 75 pounds. We changed our eating to all organic and natural, low fat, lots of veggies and fruits, and hard core gym time (1 1/2 to 2 hrs daily). The reason I mention all this is because when people ask what have we've done I chalk up all the reasons above, but I give the most credit to strapping on about 25lbs and getting out at least for 3 days a month backpacking. In between we carry full weight on 5 to 8 mile day hikes every week. This has done it the most. I can see a huge difference after every trip. My husband has had the weight fall off. Start slow. Do as much in hiking as possible. The key is wearing a full pack EVERY time, even on short day hikes. Just be careful not to over- do-it and listen to what your body tells you. If you only feel you can go 2 miles with full weight, then just do 2 miles. You'll be surprised how quick you'll get in shape. GOOD LUCK! :)

maxNcathy
11-13-2007, 09:24
My advice is to drop some weight and get into pretty good shape before you hit Springer..Why?

Because the first day or two you will meet up with girls and guys you really like...You will want to be with them and see and keep up with them..hence you will probably injure yourself and have to slow way down.. and lose all your friends.. or get off the trail for several days.

Last spring I saw this happen more than once with younger and older hikers.

SO, now is the time to ease into it so by spring you will be spry enough to keep up a good enough pace without injury.

Sandalwood

BigCat
11-13-2007, 13:55
Rob, I started the trail last year weighing in at about 310 pounds. Being a fairly successful ex-athlete, the toughest thing for me to do was leave my ego at the top of Springer.

Take your time and don't worry about trying to keep up with anyone else. Trust me there are enough hikers out there that it won't be hard to find some that walk at a similar pace (if you're looking for a consistent group).

And if you feel horrible at the beginning don't worry -- most people do. I got some good advice from a former thru on my second day as he passed me: 'Everybody suffers for the first couple weeks.'

As Roots says, weight seems to melt off the overweight men. By the time I reached Hot Springs I was down 30 pounds and when I had to leave the trail at Troutville I was down 60. And this was with a nice helping of zero days and eating everything I could find along the way!

Good luck, I may see you out there as I intend to try again next year.

Ashman
11-13-2007, 15:13
I'm a pretty hefty guy as well. I am 5' 8" and weigh 225. I just finished a 17 mile out and back hike this weekend and it was a real workout. I would echo comments here to start losing weight and training now. I have lost 23 pounds since June of this year. One of the things that helped me get over the next ridge was the thought ,"How much harder would this be with an extra 20 pounds on my body" If you want to lose weight prior to the thru at the end of the day it all comes down to counting the calories and making sure you burn more than you eat.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-13-2007, 15:35
The Dino is quite fluffy these days. Several things have happened to curtail the amount of hiking and exercising in general I do. As a section hiker, I get out there for short periods in my oh-so-outta-shape condition.... my advice so you don't hurt yourself or get discouraged:
Take it slow and easy as you start. So what if you only make a couple of miles on a particular day when your just not feeling up to snuff.... so what if all the kids are whizzing past you.... do this at a pace that both you and your body can enjoy..... the joy is in the journey, not the destination.
Do not cut down on your food intake while hiking. Your body will need a lot of fuel to do this and denying your body the fuel it needs is a great way to sabotage your hike. You can't eat enough to meet the caloric needs thru-hiking will generate - you will lose weight without dieting.
I'm an older lady - I have several pairs of hiking pants that are very forgiving when it comes to fit - they have elastic waists with cinch belts or drawstrings. This allows me to take up the slack when I lose 6" off my waist during a section (this has happened :) ) While such items are functional, I'm certainly not making any fashion statements in my baggy pants (guess I could get some boxers and sag - y'all can thank me later for that mental image :eek::D)

jesse
11-13-2007, 15:36
i'm not a thru hiker, but I do have experience in losing weight, and getting into shape, at twice your age.
MaxN cathy said it best,
My advice is to drop some weight and get into pretty good shape before you hit Springer
You did not mention how tall you are, or how much overweight you are, but here is my $.02
You are overweight because you do not burn all the calories you consume. In order to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, you need to not only exersise, but change your diet as well. I lost around 25+ lbs over the last 3 years. I quit eating fast food, and processed foods from the grocery store. I cut way down on red meat consumption. I eat lots of raw vegatables, and fruit. I walk 2-5 miles every day, including a lot of uphill. I go weekend backpacking about once a month.
It takes discipline, but it is worth it.
Any way good luck on your endeavor. PS, because you live in Gainsville, where there are no hills, you could go out to the Jr. College there and walk up and down the stadium.

CoyoteWhips
11-14-2007, 18:22
i'm not a thru hiker, but I do have experience in losing weight, and getting into shape, at twice your age.
MaxN cathy said it best,
You did not mention how tall you are, or how much overweight you are, but here is my $.02
You are overweight because you do not burn all the calories you consume. In order to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, you need to not only exersise, but change your diet as well. I lost around 25+ lbs over the last 3 years. I quit eating fast food, and processed foods from the grocery store. I cut way down on red meat consumption. I eat lots of raw vegatables, and fruit. I walk 2-5 miles every day, including a lot of uphill. I go weekend backpacking about once a month.

I disagree with the foundation of your statement, but I agree with your solution.

I believe that most people are overweight because they are starving. Fat is a famine reaction, storing energy to get through the bleak times. The standard American diet (sAd) includes great amount of fare that people should only be eating when fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts aren't available -- and when is that, anywhere near a supermarket?

Cooking meat is a survival trick our ancestors learned to get through the winter. A lot of our other foods are processed out of any wholesome state and mixed with a liberal amount of high fructose corn syrup (hfcs). It's not food. If you don't eat food, you'll starve.

A healthy well-fed body body does not need to store fat.

Like you, I eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables. I eat all I want, as often as I want. I exercise a little bit, but not on purpose. I eat very little meat, nothing with hfcs; I avoid processed foods, foods with long lists of chemistry ingredients. I am currently 245 pounds, down from 320 since July 2006.

There, that's my calories-in-calories-burned rant for this month.

jesse
11-14-2007, 18:26
coyote,

feels good don't it

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 18:31
I'm going for it March 2008, GA to ME. I've thought about it, and about the only way i could think to enjoy losing this damn weight is being on trail. Ive spent a lot of time out of doors, and it never ceases to amaze and challenge.

I am aiming this question to the larger gentlemen who have thru-hiked or are planning to (ladies feel free to answer, but i know there are physiological differences that keep us from losing weight at similar paces): I am 21 years old. I am in good shape, underneath this 270 or so pounds. Mentally, I am prepared for the 2 or 3 months of strain before i get in real hiking shape. Can any of you gentlemen, or ladies, offer me some general advice about starting out? (like what if my jacket doesnt fit when i hit Harper's ferry? etc etc). I don't know, I'm just looking to get into a reaally good head-space before I embark.

Please don't feel as though you'll have to suffer for 2 or 3 months before you feel good on the trail. You have gotten some great advice thus far, and if you get up every morning on the trail and do your best, I predict you'll feel pretty darn good by the time you leave the Smoky's, and you'll have probably shed about 20lbs to boot!!! Good Luck!!:D

CoyoteWhips
11-14-2007, 19:17
coyote,

feels good don't it

Almost from day one.

shoe
11-14-2007, 20:07
Well I am not overweight because I am starving. I am overweight because I shovel too much fast food in my mouth :)

Saying that, I did the GA section last year and while I loved it I was miserable at the same time. It was hard to haul my big butt up and down mountains.

You can do it if you have the heart and mind to do it, but I agree with the others, anything you can do before you start to make it easier is great.
My plan is to lose 40-50 pounds before I start by hiking once a week and exercising and eating chicken and green beans ::sigh::

Good luck to you

MG

weary
11-14-2007, 22:06

Just go very slow for the first few hundred miles. If you don't, you will likely leave the trail.

You will quickly lose the excess 100 pounds. Do it a bit slowly and you will be able to quit the trail without immediately gaining it all back..

Jim Adams
11-14-2007, 22:21
The above advice is good...just start out slow and don't hurt yourself. You will get in shape and lose weight.
1990---37 y/o---212 lbs. at Springer----147 lbs. at Katahdin
2002---49 y/o---232 lbs. at Springer---165 lbs. at Katahdin

geek

weary
11-14-2007, 22:21

I started this reply a while back and my wisdom just disappeared. Computers do that. Unlike fat.

Anyway, I don't pretend to know anything about dieting. I did, however, return from five weeks in Alaska last summer 20 pounds heavier than what I think of as my ideal weight. I've dropped 10 of those pounds over the weeks. I haven't calculated calories, gone on a diet, or anything, really. Well, I have started using a smaller plate to reduce the temptation to over indulge, cut down alcohol to a couple or three glasses of red wine "for my heart's sake," and eaten more fiber than usual to fill me up with mostly, calorie free stuff.

But my diet otherwise is the same as it's been for years. I buy the same foods I've always bought, cooked them the same, eaten them the same -- well except for using a smaller plate.

Weary

ChinMusic
11-14-2007, 22:26
Don't fixate on weight. Consider dropping belt notches as a more important measure of health.

Jim Adams
11-14-2007, 23:10
Don't fixate on weight. Consider dropping belt notches as a more important measure of health.
Very true!:cool:

geek

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2007, 23:19
As the others are saying - what the tape measure says is way more important than what the scale says. As you get more fit, you build muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. Think I'm kidding? Take a pound of lean ham over to where the pounds of butter are in a store and compare them.

Frosty
11-14-2007, 23:31
As the others are saying - what the tape measure says is way more important than what the scale says. As you get more fit, you build muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. Think I'm kidding? Take a pound of lean ham over to where the pounds of butter are in a store and compare them.Then put the pound of butter in a hot skillet, add the ham, and scarf it down!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2007, 23:37
Then put the pound of butter in a hot skillet, add the ham, and scarf it down!:mad: Dino thighs expanded just reading this post. :D

Smile
11-15-2007, 00:57
Poor Dino, bad butter!

Rob, you'll do just great - get out there, have fun and eat healthy! Focus on the hike and your body will do it's thing while you aren't looking :)

BigCat
11-15-2007, 01:14

Absolutely. It's all about body fat %.

This is really good advice for women on the trail. I saw a lot of ladies that were kicking butt on the trail but were continually discouraged that their weight went unchanged or even rose. In almost ever case I saw, the lady in question didn't have a particularly strong athletic background so for the first time in their lives their bodies were building new muscle to met the demands of hiking every day.

What they tended to ignore was how different they looked. And they did, in fact, look great! :)

dessertrat
11-15-2007, 09:44
Your age is a big advantage. Don't overdo it, but keep moving. Eat all you want (seriously), but more importantly, drink a lot of water. Keep your pack weight at whatever is comfortable for you. (You will know-- you will reach a point where each extra pound feels like three extra pounds. There is an exponential curve on pack weight and what people can stand).

T-Dubs
11-15-2007, 10:10
<snip>A healthy well-fed body body does not need to store fat.
Like you, I eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables. I eat all I want, as often as I want. I exercise a little bit, but not on purpose. I eat very little meat, nothing with hfcs; I avoid processed foods, foods with long lists of chemistry ingredients. I am currently 245 pounds, down from 320 since July 2006.

Congratulations on your progress.
I've recently been reading this type of information:
http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/
and wondering how all this fits together for health and weight loss. There is a lot of conflicting information out there. As of today, I'm thinking that an eating plan low in processed grains/sugars coupled with weight training is best for weight loss. Intense aerobic exercise may not be all that beneficial except, again, in the role of building muscle.

Tomorrow?

Tom

Marta
11-15-2007, 11:23
... As of today, I'm thinking that an eating plan low in processed grains/sugars coupled with weight training is best for weight loss. Intense aerobic exercise may not be all that beneficial except, again, in the role of building muscle.

Tomorrow?

Tom

The longer I'm around, the more I know that it really does come down to calories in vs. calories out. Portion control. Cutting back the fat to 20% or caloric intake. Some fruit. Lots of vegetables.

I love to get some exercise every day. If I don't, I don't sleep well. But the only way I'll lose weight--actually, the only way I keep from steadily gaining weight--is to keep down the intake of calories.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 14:33
I believe that most people are overweight because they are starving. Fat is a famine reaction, storing energy to get through the bleak times. The standard American diet (sAd) includes great amount of fare that people should only be eating when fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts aren't available -- and when is that, anywhere near a supermarket?........ I eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables. I eat all I want, as often as I want. I exercise a little bit, but not on purpose. I eat very little meat, nothing with hfcs; I avoid processed foods, foods with long lists of chemistry ingredients. I am currently 245 pounds, down from 320 since July 2006.
....As of today, I'm thinking that an eating plan low in processed grains/sugars coupled with weight training is best for weight loss. Intense aerobic exercise may not be all that beneficial except, again, in the role of building muscle.You two might enjoy some of the more technical discussions at this site (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107).

The longer I'm around, the more I know that it really does come down to calories in vs. calories out. Portion control. Cutting back the fat to 20% or caloric intake. Some fruit. Lots of vegetables.

I love to get some exercise every day. If I don't, I don't sleep well. But the only way I'll lose weight--actually, the only way I keep from steadily gaining weight--is to keep down the intake of calories.I'm with you here, Marta. It does boil down to taking in less calories than burned to lose weight. The problem comes with figuring out just how many calories I am burning. Metabolize slows as we age, % of lean body mass and other factors (emotions, hormones, stress level) also change the number of calories needed to maintain weight. And, of course, activity level changes the number of calories burned daily. I wish there was a way to just determine I need X number of calories a day......

Marta
11-15-2007, 14:54
I wish there was a way to just determine I need X number of calories a day......

I've thrown in the towel on doing it myself and am letting Jenny (Craig) do it for me. ;) It's working great. Next time you see me, I'll be a shadow of my former self. Or maybe I should say that the inner me who has been being covered up by an ever-growing outer me will be revealed once again.

At lunchtime today I was perusing runnersworld.com. I read an article about BMI that mentioned that a runner's speed typically improves by about 2 seconds per mile for every pound they lose, until they reach a BMI below 18-something.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304--11903-0,00.html

T-Dubs
11-15-2007, 15:39
The longer I'm around, the more I know that it really does come down to calories in vs. calories out.

There's no doubt that it is a math equation as far as calories.
Although, if a low-fat diet means an increase in carbohydrates it makes it difficult to lose weight. Increases in insulin levels tell the body to store calories as fat and carbohydrates increase insulin production. The role of hormones in fat storage and fuel partitioning (calories burned or stored) is at the heart of any weight loss plan. The more fat you have already, the more 'fat-storing' hormones you produce with exercise. To quote CoyoteW:
I believe that most people are overweight because they are starving. Intense aerobic exercise sends that message to the body. If you then follow the FDA's food pyramid recommendations, you are setting yourself up for failure. (Try to find the actual science that shows high quality dietary fat is the cause of obesity. Sugar, HFCS, hydrogenated fats--yes; but no one should be eating that crap any way.)

I know, personally, from recent experience that my body sheds pounds more quickly when I strength train and limit carbohydrates. I won't bore the forum with my story* but I credit aerobic activity with much improved fitness levels and bloodwork numbers. I give most of the credit for weight loss to diet and weights.

Another link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/science/09tier.html?ex=1349668800&en=67642ef2330f51af&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Tom

*but I am proud of the beneficial gains I've made in weight, cholesterol, B/P, tryglicerides, etc. It's not easy but it is possible.

BigCat
11-15-2007, 19:33
I read an article about BMI...

be very careful about BMI (men especially). almost every male athlete will show up as overweight or obese on that scale. most people in the medical community will tell you to rely on body fat % instead.

ChinMusic
11-15-2007, 20:52
be very careful about BMI (men especially). almost every male athlete will show up as overweight or obese on that scale. most people in the medical community will tell you to rely on body fat % instead.
You are correct. BMI is a total joke for many folks. I would have to have a NEGATIVE body fat % to be considered "normal" under BMI.

rob123ufl
11-15-2007, 21:54
You are correct. BMI is a total joke for many folks. I would have to have a NEGATIVE body fat % to be considered "normal" under BMI.

AMEN! Yea, my BMI indicates that i'm obese, whereas people only laugh in my face when i tell them im obese. Yea, im overweight, but i have an athletic build and a good amount of muscle. I just have a gut, to boot. Anyways, cheers and thanks to all for the words.

CoyoteWhips
11-15-2007, 23:35

Turns out that I actually am big boned. Who knew that was a real thing?

Programbo
11-15-2007, 23:40
I am 21 years old. I am in good shape, underneath this 270 or so pounds.

How about an example of why you think this?..My nephew who lives with me is your age and weight and he thought he was in pretty good shape despite his weight..I tried to take him on a day hike with me and he finally quit after 2 miles on relatively level (Although rocky) trail..You say you`ve spent a lot of time outdoors..Doing what exactly?

Mentally, I am prepared for the 2 or 3 months of strain before i get in real hiking shape.

You are? Well it`s 4 months until March so you should be in "real hiking shape" by then ;)
I`m with those who say don`t wait til your hike to start exercising and losing weight..Anything you do before then will only increase your success and enjoyment

rob123ufl
11-16-2007, 00:01
How about an example of why you think this?..My nephew who lives with me is your age and weight and he thought he was in pretty good shape despite his weight..I tried to take him on a day hike with me and he finally quit after 2 miles on relatively level (Although rocky) trail..You say you`ve spent a lot of time outdoors..Doing what exactly?

You are? Well it`s 4 months until March so you should be in "real hiking shape" by then ;)
I`m with those who say don`t wait til your hike to start exercising and losing weight..Anything you do before then will only increase your success and enjoyment

Well Programbo, or should i call you "nay-sayer" instead. I don't remember ever asserting that I was going to wait to get in shape, however to address you're remarks:

I've spent my life outdoors, but most recently: 30 Days NOLS Alaska sea-kayaking. University of Florida travel and recreation program (i'm a leader. check it out at union.ufl.edu/trip). I spend my life outdoors, and i lead others into the outdoors.

Another thing, I don't know your intended tone but it is very condescending. I know what I am getting myself into and you should be ashamed for trying to discourage someone because you want to remain a part of the elite thru-hiker club. I posted this in the first place to get responses from people who had similar experiences or who were going to be supportive. I'm not upset by your post, though it may seem so, but I feel you are a bit ill-informed and should possibly reserve your opinions when you know a little bit more about me.

My opinion is that if anyone has the heart, they can complete the journey that I am setting out to do. I may not have strong ankles and i am carrying a bit of extra insulation around my mid-section, but I am not uninformed and presumtuous in regards to a thru-hike.

Thank you for your comment, but make it a bit more constructive next time.:D

ChinMusic
11-16-2007, 00:10
To his credit, he didn't know your experience. I seriously doubt MANY 21-yr-old, 270-pounders have your resume. That said, it did come across as condescending.

I think you'll be fine. If you start Springer at 270, your feet and legs will be taking a beating. You will have to start slow even if your heart wants to go faster. But, that is good advice for anyone, even someone at your "bullet-proof" age.......:D

rob123ufl
11-16-2007, 00:19
yea. sorry programbo, i jumped at your comment a little bit too quickly.

Frosty
11-16-2007, 01:08
I am not uninformed and presumtuous in regards to a thru-hike.:rolleyes: Well, until you finish your thru, you are basing everything on what you presume to be correct, which by definition is presumtuous. Until you do something and find out what you don't know, how can you tell whether you are uninformed or not?

Many of us, myself twice, have been surprised at how much we "knew" was actually wrong.

JAK
11-16-2007, 06:42
As far as training goes, I suggest focusing on fun weekend dayhikes and overnights, and not worry too much about during the week unless it fits your schedule. But don't call it training. Just call it doing what you love. Keep track of total weight on feet and hour on feet. Don't worry so much about speed so much as comfort level. I think you will find things get considerably more comfortable as you get your total weight on feet down, so do it with as little as possible. If you lose 30 pounds by the start of your thru then you could carry 30 skin out and it would be comparable to hiking naked, though warmer, and with food and shelter. Also if you get some training hikes in of 3-4 days you can assess how much food you need per mile for a given total weight on feet. At the start of your thru-hike keep the distance between resupplies to a minimum, and don't worry about speed, just daily time on feet. As you drop your total weight on feet you can slowly increase your daily time on feet, and your speed will naturally increase also. I would still try and keep the total skin out weight to a minimum though, until your really comfortable. All that time I'll bet your pounds of food per mile per total weight on feet remain more or less constant though. My 2 cents from the peanut gallery.