PDA

View Full Version : AT Wildlife: from Washington Post

Cookerhiker
11-13-2007, 07:54
From today's Post featuring AT wildlife captured on camera.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/12/AR2007111201822.html?hpid=moreheadlines&sid=ST2007111202085

Sly
11-13-2007, 09:36
Some more pics here...

http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/photos/galleries/2007/nov/12/appalachian-trail-animals/

tazie
11-13-2007, 11:10
That is so cool. Did you notice the pic of the opossum, looks like he was out hiking..upright and out with his hiking stick and all..cute. Thanks for sharing.

taildragger
11-13-2007, 11:16
I gotta stop getting hungry when I saw shots from game cameras... :datz

MOWGLI
11-13-2007, 11:18
That is so cool. Did you notice the pic of the opossum, looks like he was out hiking..upright and out with his hiking stick and all..cute. Thanks for sharing.

The opossum is holding a stick that has been doused with scent to attract animals into the viewfinder of the camera.

Cookerhiker
11-13-2007, 11:59
I liked the racoon standing up.

And the bobcat - it's so gratifying to know they're out there. I've seen one only once in my AT hiking and I had about 3 seconds of viewing before it vanished.

dessertrat
11-13-2007, 12:00
Very good bear photos.

tazie
11-13-2007, 16:49
The opossum is holding a stick that has been doused with scent to attract animals into the viewfinder of the camera.

No way...I thought for sure Polly Opossum was going to meet up with Rocky Raccoon for some night hikin'...;)

Gaiter
11-13-2007, 18:16
Thats the way to do photography of bears, I don't get it, why do people get so excited and want to get pictures of bears, when I see a bear I just want to scare it off, so they will be afraid of humans and me, I don't want to see a bear linger around long enough to take its picture, the only way I like to see bears is the ass-end of them running away.

Gaiter
11-13-2007, 18:17
they were careful to put the cameras off the trails so hikers didn't set them off, wonder if they got any hikers digging cat holes (eek)

taildragger
11-13-2007, 18:23
they were careful to put the cameras off the trails so hikers didn't set them off, wonder if they got any hikers digging cat holes (eek)

A thru-hiker could be anyone of those bears. It would explain the musk, hariness, and foraging for hamburgers

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 21:27
The Bobcat photo was cool.

dessertrat
11-15-2007, 09:53
Thats the way to do photography of bears, I don't get it, why do people get so excited and want to get pictures of bears, when I see a bear I just want to scare it off, so they will be afraid of humans and me, I don't want to see a bear linger around long enough to take its picture, the only way I like to see bears is the ass-end of them running away.

I love bear photos, but I am not dumb enough to creep up on a bear to take said photo. I agree with you as to what is the "better part of a bear" to see.

Cuffs
11-17-2007, 15:57
These cameras were set "a few dozen yards off the trail..." and were intended to observe the wildlife, and not be set off by passing hikers.

Isnt it according to LNT and general good practice to leave the trail by "several dozen yards" in order to relieve yourself? I wonder just how many hikers they caught taking care of business?

modiyooch
11-17-2007, 17:25
big brother?

saimyoji
11-17-2007, 21:00
White-tailed deer were seen most often, but pictures of more rarely seen animals were also snapped, including a long-tailed weasel, a flying squirrel, wild ponies and more than 10 bobcats.

More rarely seen my ass. Only by people who haven't spent more than a day or so in the woods. Maybe that does mean rarely seen. :rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-17-2007, 21:40
White-tailed deer were seen most often, but pictures of more rarely seen animals were also snapped, including a long-tailed weasel, a flying squirrel, wild ponies and more than 10 bobcats.

More rarely seen my ass. Only by people who haven't spent more than a day or so in the woods. Maybe that does mean rarely seen. :rolleyes:
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who thought the comment about rarely seen wildlife was strange.

Guess I'll look around before 'assuming the postion' from now on. :eek: