PDA

View Full Version : External frame packs

LIhikers
11-13-2007, 09:27
From time to time folks post here wanting to know where they can get an external frame pack. Yesterday I went through Campmor and realized that they had a wall full of external frame packs by various manufacturers and in both youth and adult sizes. I'm sure you caan find more info on their web site. Hope this helps.

rafe
11-13-2007, 09:47
The problem is that most external frame packs are low-end products. Luxury-Lite goes too far to the other extreme. I'd like to see a serious, lightweight design suitable for long AT hikes. Nothing much new in this area in the last 15-20 years.

Deadeye
11-13-2007, 10:28
The problem is that most external frame packs are low-end products. Luxury-Lite goes too far to the other extreme. I'd like to see a serious, lightweight design suitable for long AT hikes. Nothing much new in this area in the last 15-20 years.

Good point - how about a titanium frame and sylnylon bag? My guess is that this might be prohibitively expensive and have a very limited market. Could be a great DIY project, though, and perhaps another cottage business.

taildragger
11-13-2007, 10:59
I think TI would be way too costly, polymers would be the way to go. I like my kevlar framed external. Put on a better bag and some padded suspension and I think that it would be awesome.

rafe
11-13-2007, 11:12
To be fair: the Osprey Atmos packs come close, and are very interesting designs. Unfortunately they're not nearly as light as they could be. ISTM they're a bit overloaded with pockets, compartments, zippers, etc. But the frames on these packs make them very comfortable.