PDA

View Full Version : How long to conquer VA?

Webs
11-13-2007, 10:21
Hey guys. I would like your expert opinions on the time it would take to do all of VA (Damascus to Harper's Ferry). My pace is roughly 13 mpd including resupply short days, or 15/16 mpd for those lovely days undisturbed by all those town inconveniences (french fries, ice cream, beds, etc....:rolleyes: ) I was guessing it would be about 30-35 days or so, but I also heard VA went a little faster for most, so.....what think you? Thanks for your help!

DavidNH
11-13-2007, 10:29
How Long for Virginia.. Damascus to Harper's Ferry? I would give it about five weeks. You do say your pace is arond 15 mpd but you will have no problem doing 20+ miles per day in much of the state, especially in SNP. Also, expect to take some rest days. I recommend a lay over in Perrisburg and Waynesboro and by layover I mean a zero day If for no other reason you will want to get into these towns for the great resaurants and buffets!!:sun Course one has to resupply anyway.

Short of being a speed hiker, you will not be doing the state in under a month.
I also want to add that there is some really nice territory in this state. So better to allow extra time than not enough. I especially loved SNP.

DavidNH.

Uncle Silly
11-13-2007, 10:44
I was guessing it would be about 30-35 days or so, but I also heard VA went a little faster for most (...)

That's common wisdom, but it's generally assuming you're already in trail shape. On a NOBO thru-hike, you're in trail shape by the time you hit Virginia. If you're doing sections, well, that may be a different story.

Remember, Virginia's a whole quarter of the trail. If your entire thruhike will only take 4 months, then you're probably capable of doing Virginia in 1 month, give or take a week. If your entire thruhike takes more like 6 months, then 1.5 months is probably more likely. If you're not in trail shape when you start hiking Virginia, it'll be more.

It took me 48 days, not counting zeroes, to do VA in 2005. I started in Damascus with no trail legs; most NOBO thruhikers were faster than me. I was just happy to get to Harper's Ferry before I'd spent 2 months on the trail!

Lone Wolf
11-13-2007, 10:45
It's 550 miles. 45 days @ 12 MPD avg.

nitewalker
11-13-2007, 11:10
It's 550 miles. 45 days @ 12 MPD avg.

this is brilliant:eek: !! einstein has nothing on you:rolleyes: !! peace

rafe
11-13-2007, 11:23
VA is no pushover! Some parts near the southern end are relatively easy, and SNP is nicely graded (making for easy miles.) But the central portion from Waynesboro to Pearisburg has some serious verticals. 3000 feet of vertical change per day isn't unusual at all. And don't forget the "roller coaster" between Front Royal and Harpers Ferry...

Skyline
11-13-2007, 11:26
It was probably just a bit of creative writing :-? , but do you really think "conquering" the AT is a good way to approach a long hike?

Seriously, you've got some excellent advice here already and there's not much I could add that would provide additional value. Except to say that if you've "heard" that Virginia is almost flat with few rocks you will reevaluate the person(s) who told you that once you start hiking it. Virginia is a beautiful state--easier than some other parts of the AT--with a lot of varied terrain and features, but it ain't flat and there are rocks.

max patch
11-13-2007, 11:34
With all due respect, since you already know YOUR pace there isn't much to gain by asking us what OUR pace is.

Figure out how many hiking days VA will take at YOUR pace, then add on how many zero days YOU will want to spend in town.

Boom. Done.

Lyle
11-13-2007, 11:40
Plan on 6 weeks, may make it in 5.

weary
11-13-2007, 12:13
Hey guys. I would like your expert opinions on the time it would take to do all of VA (Damascus to Harper's Ferry). My pace is roughly 13 mpd including resupply short days, or 15/16 mpd for those lovely days undisturbed by all those town inconveniences (french fries, ice cream, beds, etc....:rolleyes: ) I was guessing it would be about 30-35 days or so, but I also heard VA went a little faster for most, so.....what think you? Thanks for your help!
Conquer is the wrong verb. Think "How long can I expect to enjoy Virginia?" Though some think of the trail as something to be conquered, the wisest among us hike to enjoy the woods, hills, and mountains.

Weary

BigCat
11-13-2007, 13:40
Hike your own hike. If you want to use the verb 'conquer' then use away. Heck, put it in all caps! Or bold. Bold and Red! CONQUER!

Webs clearly has a goal and is working to achieve it -- and honestly, I like the attitude.

Slimer
11-13-2007, 14:06
Maybe the guy enjoys "conquering" things. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Have a good trip Webs..........

max patch
11-13-2007, 14:10
Maybe the guy enjoys "conquering" things. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Have a good trip Webs..........

she ain't a guy

Slimer
11-13-2007, 14:10
Whoops!
Maybe SHE enjoys "conquering" things. Sorry about that.

Footslogger
11-13-2007, 14:20
=================================

I would say that my pace, on average, was about the same as yours (12 - 13 miles/day). It took me 40 "hiking days" to get from Damascus to Harpers Ferry in 2003. I re-supplied every 4 - 6 days and generally did an overnight in town when I re-supplied. I guess if I had skipped the overnights and just hiked in/out of town after re-supplying I could have knocked 2 - 3 days off of that total.

'Slogger

Blissful
11-13-2007, 14:25
Heaven sakes - how nit pickey can you get? Who cares what verb she used to introduce the question??? Honestly.

Give yourself time to enjoy the state, Webs. Since you are sectioning, it will take longer to acclimate to the trail. But there are definitely sections in SNP you can cruise it on, esp by then you should be in pretty good shape to do just that. And do the trail along the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc in mid to late May to see the mtn laurel and rhododendron displays. Gorgeous.

Rain Man
11-13-2007, 14:28
I section-hiked the Shenandoah National Park this summer with my daughter. Frankly, it was no cake walk as some might lead you to believe. Perhaps thru-hikers scoot on through easily by the time they reach the SNP, but as I recall, I went back to check Model-T's book (Happy Side of Misery) and found that on his thru-hike he took longer in the park than I did.

Anyway, you're still gonna have to put one foot in front of the other and hike over all those hills and mountains, carrying a pack. So, don't under-estimate any AT miles.

Best to you!

Rain:sunMan

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2007, 15:42
I think for most people six to seven weeks is far likelier than five.

weary
11-13-2007, 15:44
Hike your own hike. If you want to use the verb 'conquer' then use away. Heck, put it in all caps! Or bold. Bold and Red! CONQUER!.....
You're right. I don't really care if someone wants to conquer Virginia. For myself, I don't think about conquering trails, but enjoying trails. I hike to enjoy the woods, hills, and mountains.

Weary

Cookerhiker
11-13-2007, 17:15
It took me 25 years to finish Virginia.:D But I had the pleasure of hiking it in all 4 seasons.

Webs
11-13-2007, 19:28
WhiteBlaze-ers = yay!

Thanks a bunch for all your insightful/helpful/occasionally-off-topic comments!

Now for my own O.T. contribution: I wanted to know this because I was planning on doing VA this summer, but I am also doing an outdoor program/internship that I would need to plan around. So, I appreciate all answers from everyone, pertinent or otherwise, because I need all the planning-help I can get!

~Your friendly, neighbor Webs

PS: Hey Snarf, you sound like fun. Just thought you should know. :p