PDA

View Full Version : New shoes every....?

L Tee
11-13-2007, 10:24
Since ill be using trail runners should I buy about 4 pairs and have someone ship me a new pair every 550 miles? Or should I expect them to wear out sooner? And granted every shoe is created differently but I dont want to nor feel like I need too walk in ratty old shoes. Is that a good estimate of amount of shoes I should purchase?

Moose2001
11-13-2007, 10:44
As you mentioned, each style of shoe wears at a different rate. Most hikers figure 500 miles for a pair of trail runners is about average.

I would not buy 4-5 pair of shoes ahead of time. Many hikers find their feet grow and change size while on the trail. You could find the shoes you bought ahead of time no longer fit. I suggest finding a source for the shoes and purchase them as needed. Then have them shipped to you.

L Tee
11-13-2007, 10:52
thank you much. what is it about a size to a size and a half in growth? And that stays with you???? thats craziness.

vaporjourney
11-13-2007, 11:00
Don't accept that as absolute truth. My feet grew maybe a half size bigger, but that growth was mainly only in one foot. I left in march wearing a size 12, and returned wearing a size 12. The shoes were a bit tight and an absolute nightmare breaking in during NJ/NY, but then were perfect.

How long your shoes last will depend on the shoe. I had a friend wearing Salomon's, and they came apart much more quickly than my Montrail Hardrocks. I started with a pair of Montrail's that already had a lot of wear on them. They made it to Nantahala Outdoor Center. The pair of Hardrock's I got in NOC made it all the way to the Deleware Water Gap! Thats over a thousand miles in one pair of shoes. The replacements I got in DWG made it all the way to Katahdin, but barely. My tread was nearly all gone, but they were still safe enough to make it on the sketchy granite slabs of Maine. If Montrail's fit you well (don't for many people because of narrow toe-box), then try to get those. nearly everyone I hiked with agreed that these were the most durable of any on the trail.

Moose2001
11-13-2007, 11:06
How much your feet grow depends on each hiker. For some, there is no change. Others see a change of a full size or greater. Can't really predict what will happen. Same thing on if your feet will return to the size prior to your hike. I started hiking in 2001 wearing size 10. I now wear size 11's for almost everything. YMMV.

As Vaporjourney points out, some shoes last longer than others. Some hikers are harder on shoes than other. It's hard to say how long a pair of shoes will last for you. I suggest finding a good source for the shoes you want. One that you can order from online. As you need the shoes, order them and have them shipped to you. That way you can get what you need in the size you want.

L Tee
11-13-2007, 11:14
thanks guys

ARambler
11-13-2007, 11:56
...I suggest finding a good source for the shoes you want. One that you can order from online. As you need the shoes, order them and have them shipped to you. That way you can get what you need in the size you want.

How things have changed; 20 years ago we didn't order our second pair of Limmers on the internet... so we could get a better fit. Fortunately, trailrunners are so comfortable, many would feel comfortable ordering a half size larger without trying them on.

I didn't see much growth of foot size, but I'm 53 and may have had my growth 30 years ago carrying a 50 pound pack. Fit is important. In the Vasque Velocities, I am much happier with the Euro size 42.5 womans with green Superfeet insoles vs Euro 42 mens with factory insoles. Hiking in a dry year, is highly recommended for improving you fit and probably wear.

If you think you may need more than 4 pairs of trail runners, you are buying the wrong brand. Seems to me there has been a slight decrease in standard (trail) running shoes like the New Balance 804 (ca 2003, followed by 805, 806) and an increase in boot company trail runners, like the Vasque Velocity, Montrail Hardrock, a Solomon model or two, and a couple others. If I used 4 pairs of these shoes, I would expect to have some extra wear on some of them. You should get fewer miles in NH/ME than VA.
Rambler

A-Train
11-13-2007, 13:55
Be careful! I've heard varied debates between how long you SHOULD wear a pair of shoes. There is a difference between how long you CAN wear them and how long you SHOULD.

On the PCT several people gave me crap for trashing shoes prematurely when they thought i could get more life out of them. I generally give my Brooks running shoes about 600+ miles and trail runners more. I put 1050 on a pair of Vasque Velocitys on the AT.

However, i don't necessarily think this is the best thing for your feet. If you're not on a complete budget I'd say buy shoes more regularly, it's better for your feet. Usually after 500-600 miles my feet would tell me they were in need of some more cushioning.

Just something to think about

Footslogger
11-13-2007, 14:00
Since ill be using trail runners should I buy about 4 pairs and have someone ship me a new pair every 550 miles? Or should I expect them to wear out sooner? And granted every shoe is created differently but I dont want to nor feel like I need too walk in ratty old shoes. Is that a good estimate of amount of shoes I should purchase?
==================================

It'll vary mostly with shoe style and terrain. I got as much as 750 - 800 miles out of one pair and as low as 450 - 500 before another pair started to fail and fall apart.

The early caution regarding buying all your shoes up front is a wise one ...unless you know up front how your feet behave under distance hiking conditions or you have trouble finding shoes that fit your correctly and comfortably. Your feet will no doubt undergo change as you hike AND you might not want to do the entire trail in one brand/style of shoe.

That said, if I was going to purchase all my shoes up front for an AT thru hike I would probably go ahead and get 4 - 5 pair. Remember that when you get to the end of your hike you still have to wear a pair of shoes to get home. I sent myself a slightly used pair of trail shoes in Millinocket for the trip home. My feet appreciated it !!

'Slogger

Kaptain Kangaroo
11-13-2007, 17:48
I would also suggest buying new shoes as you go. If you find that the shoes don't really work for you or your feet change size, then you haven't wasted your money.
If you do like them, it is soooo easy to just buy another pair on-line and have them shipped to a town ahead of you. (if you can't find exactly the shoes you want in a local outfitter)

Just don't leave it until they are totally trashed & have to be replaced immediately as this will really limit your choice.

Mileage varies enormously between hikers. I replaced my Merrell Mesa Ventilators after 1000 miles, but only because the soles were getting a little soft. The uppers were in almost perfect condition. A guy I was hiking with had identical trailrunners but trashed them after 300 miles.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo