PDA

View Full Version : PUP TRAIL TRAINING >STAY ON TOPIC Please

2009ThruHiker
11-13-2007, 10:33
Hi,

We've recently gotten our Chesapeake Bay Retriever pup, Bella. She is 3.5 months old and after her rabies shot I am considering beginning her trail training on weekends on some smaller trails near home. Is this too young! I know consistent strenuous exercise is meant for dogs 1 yr. and older, but would a few miles roundtrip be ok once a week? Curious to know other's experience in relation to training and hiking at an early age.
She is already doing well on a leash and knows basic commands very well. I just don't want to damage her health by walking her too hard too early.

EWS
11-13-2007, 11:14
It is never to early to begin. I would recommend professional training and/or a local dog club.

ChinMusic
11-13-2007, 11:22
I agree with EWS. Getting good LOCAL support will pay dividends later. It takes a lot of work and repetition even when done right.

I started mine at under 3 months for short walks (real short) and had him doing weekend trips by 6 months.

Phreak
11-13-2007, 11:25
Just keep the walks casual and short. Any strenuous exercise on pups under 6 months of age can affect their joint development.

Give me a shout if you have any questions about training.

Uncle Silly
11-13-2007, 11:32
Seconded. Just take her for walks; especially when starting out, don't take her on overnight trips with major mileage goals. Start out small, say a dayhike of a mile or two. Be observant to her energy level; if she's clearly tired, stop and give her a break and a treat.

Until she's older, leave the pack at home; instead, work on leash training and voice commands. Don't give her a fully-loaded pack (remember, max 1/3rd of her body weight) until she's at least 1.5 years.

Adam B
11-13-2007, 12:41
2009ThruHiker, I would recommend searching out some puppy socialization classes. This component of trail dog training is where your pup is right now. Your pup is roughly 14 weeks which is too young for the trail yet but the perfect age for critical socialization. So right now I would throw every spare moment you have at getting the dog as many positive experiences with as many different things as possible. People, animals, strange shapes and objects; everything the pup hasn't lived with or experienced as good. Take him to the trailhead and have fun meeting the strange hikers while sitting nicely. Set up right now how you want the dog to behave when it meets something it is unsure of and how to say hi to strangers when you tell him to.

Most trainer's today recognize the value of socialization, there isn't too much socialization either. Trust me when you find a strange backpacker with a beard wearing a hat and approaching your pup it does strange to your pups mind. I think it is something along the lines of omg the monster... it's coming to eat me... bark, bark, bark.

If you want to do trail training, lets wait until at least 6 months and even then keep it on leash. Measure the trail you want to try and make sure the dog can walk at least twice that at home on his regular walk. You can put an empty pack on but no weight. My only other thought is pups often push themselves to keep going until they reach the "I am too tired, so I am going to lie here" stage which requires you to carry them the rest of the way. You don't want to set yourself up to have that happen on the trail.

Good luck and keep showing your pup how wonderful this world can be.

FatMan
11-13-2007, 12:44
As others have noted, it is not too early to aclimate your pup to the trail. Just take it easy. IMO there is no problem with starting overnights involving short hikes. You want your dog to be as content on the trail as he is on your couch. More important than the physical development early on is the social development. Choose busy trails where your pup will encounter plenty of people, other dogs, and wildlife (squirrels and stuff). It is easier to train correct behaviors when young, so avoiding crowds early will only make it that much tougher when your pup is exposed at a later age.

rlharris
11-13-2007, 14:16
Ah, another Chesapeake owner. Welcome to the "brown dog club". CBRs are great hiking companions. If this is your first CBR, be sure to socialize the pup. With this breed, that is extremely important. Work to get a reliable recall -- she should come quickly on the first command even if she has gotten wind of something interesting. And should do a good sit-stay so you can get her off the trail and let other hikers pass. Mine are usually walking with me to the post office (almost two miles round trip) by the time they are three months old. I use a "controlled walk" as distinct from a formal heel we use in obedience. At six months or so you can introduce her to an unloaded backpack. I got the one from Outward Hound -- fits the best and has padding under the buckles and other pressure spots. I introduce weight gradually by letting (in the present case) him carry the mail home from the post office. As an adult, he can carry 1/3 his weight but for day hikes we usually don't bother with a backpack for him.

Rouen
11-13-2007, 15:01
if you do take the pup out keep in mind that she probly wont be able to make the entire trial. by 12 weeks I was walking my male and he would tire at around 1/2 mile.

Uncle Silly
11-13-2007, 15:56
I just had a thought. You should wait until she's house-broken to take her on overnights. You could leash her outside the tent, but then she's still small enough to be prey. I'd want to keep a pup inside on her first few overnights to keep her comfortable, too.

Gaiter
11-13-2007, 16:14
just remember, build the foundation now, keep it simple,
I like adam b's suggestion of socialization, check around, you may find group dog obedience classes that will help w/ the foundation and socialization.

remember you are being trained as much as her.