PDA

View Full Version : College Students/Grads NOBO at Beginning of March

Icarus
11-13-2007, 12:05
:welcome
Hey guys, so like alot of you I am planning on heading out NOBO in the beginning of March. As I'm sitting here in my 9am Statistics class I thought to myself, "I wonder how many other students are as crazy as I am?" So I'm just putting up a tread to try to get some college students heading NOBO at the beginning of March. If there's enough interest maybe we could all meet and start out together. Just a thought...

Icarus
11-13-2007, 12:07
Find me on Facebook if you're interested. (Greg Roland / Iowa State)

rob123ufl
11-13-2007, 13:00
im taking the first semester of my senior year off. it'll be great to see some youngin's like myself out there. chances are i won't keep up at first, being a slow hiker, but maybe ill some of you along the way. ill more likely catch the april or may grads starting out a little later. good luck Icarus.

Hurley
11-13-2007, 13:12
I'll be headed out early March. Finishing up my last semester at FSU.

A-Train
11-13-2007, 13:21
This has become a very popular thing to do. I started March 1 2003 between college semesters and probably close to a dozen other folks started in the same window who were either in college, finished college, or about to start grad school. We had a nice group of people our age to bounce off of between 18-25.

I believe this to be a great way to thru-hike without major time constraints while only taking 1 semester off. You'll have a full 6 months to finish before most schools start in early september, but remember to budget in some transition/relaxing time if you can. I got so ahead of schedule I ended up finishing a month early (july31st) which was really doable at 5 months with time off/zero days.

Limit extra zero days, start with some lightweight gear and arrive at Springer in reasonably good shape and you should have NO issues finishing in around 150-160 days.

rob123ufl
11-13-2007, 13:30
I'll be headed out early March. Finishing up my last semester at FSU.

Finishing up mine at UF!

earthbound
11-13-2007, 14:13
I just graduated. :banana See you there

Icarus
11-13-2007, 14:18
Head over to http://iastate.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7169903178 and join up or search for "Appalachian Trail" and look for "Class of 2008" on Facebook.

SC Ryan
11-13-2007, 16:16
Graduated 06 from U of South Carolina, headed to grad school september 08... Leaving March 1st! Its good to see there will be some peeps of the same age out there. :banana

Mammoth
11-13-2007, 17:20
I have less than a month until I graduate from the Univ. of MN. I'll be on the trail in March. Hooray!

Kirby
11-13-2007, 19:11
Well, I am not quite in college, in fact, I will be a junior in high school on the trail, nice to see some other people relatively near my age.

March 1st, to Springer!
Kirby

Miu
11-13-2007, 20:58
I graduated in May and have had to wait a this very long year for March 2008...but I am going to start late March.

Appalachian Tater
11-13-2007, 21:39
It seems to be a bi-modal distribution with one group centered on the early 20s and another around say, 55.

NakedSasquatch
11-14-2007, 11:53
Graduated in June and cannot wait to start hiking. I'm tired of turning around and having to get back into my car at the end of the day/ weekend! Hopefully, Tater, that means that we will all be learning a lot from eachother come '08. Can't wait to meet you all.

Slugger OToole
11-15-2007, 16:37
I'm taking a year off from school, I'm spending the first half of it working and trying to pay of debts and fund the hike.

I can't wait, I'm planning on leaving early march, and need to be finished mid august to head back to school.

pnovak
11-15-2007, 17:40
Im also taking a year off from school to hike the trail. After I graduate though I need to make some money so wont be leaving till mid July, so that means Im heading southbound. Ill be seeing most of you along the way then! Cant wait!!

Over Yonder
11-19-2007, 20:28
I am done student teaching December 7th.. and BOOM I will be a college grad.. or something... hehe. See you out there March 19th! Glad to see a good bunch young'ns heading out!:banana

ATbound
11-19-2007, 21:30
Yea! I'm not the only one! I'll be starting my masters this August. Starting the trail March 4th, can't wait! See you all out there!

Kirby
11-19-2007, 21:42
Yea! I'm not the only one! I'll be starting my masters this August. Starting the trail March 4th, can't wait! See you all out there!

:welcome

Kirby

WalkItOff
11-19-2007, 22:27
Nice thread idea. I'll be leaving March 4th. Not sure if I'm doing the approach trail. That depends on my friend's class schedule and what time of day he can/wants to drop me off. (He goes to Emory)

Then back to school in August to finish up that elusive engineering degree...

bigboots
11-19-2007, 22:58
Just graduated in the spring of 07 and am hoping to hit the trail early 08 if I can get out of my job...if not then I will be leaving the job for an 09 through. This real world thing gets in the way, I just want to hit the trail.

dmb658
11-19-2007, 23:07
i'm taking a year off inbetween high school and college. i'll be starting around march 19th, so i will see you all out there!

kritter
11-20-2007, 03:58
I just banged out my first semester of college and I'm headed out March 14-ish. Can't wait too meet all you guys!

EWS
11-20-2007, 04:12
I just banged out my first semester of college Lol, that certainly is a way to put it.

L Tee
11-20-2007, 10:31
thats certainly how I put it my first semester. ohhhh

jessicacomp
11-28-2007, 23:43
I graduated in May of 07. I turned down acceptance to graduate school, acceptance to the peace corps, and 3 job offers to hike. I think what's even funnier/more interesting is that my family and friends werent even suprised that I made this decision.
Anyway, looking forward to meeting you all. Any sociology majors out there? I looooove talking about soc stuff!

mattabbotts
11-29-2007, 02:43
17 days days until I graduate with a degree in Forestry. Then it's nothing but dreaming and planning for the trail. Can't wait to meet you guys

Baum Trigger
11-29-2007, 09:57
Look forward to seeing all of you. '05 graduate, recently quit my job and now I'm ready to go...

tlw08
11-30-2007, 12:24
Graduating in 16 days with a degree in Economics.

Departing from Springer in mid-March! :cool:

wtmntcaretaker
12-01-2007, 00:10
I graduated this past may. worked in the white mountains during the summer and now am stuck in retail til March. Oh God! it could not come quick enough. Reading some of the posts it started sounding like there was going to be a lot of middle aged people. Good to hear my age group will be represented strong. see you all out there. looking forward to hiking in the south it should be fun!

SparrowHawk
12-03-2007, 22:46
Graduated in May '07 with a degree in Chemistry and Religious Studies...I don't know how they go together either! I didn't get accepted into Med School like I planned, but I am kinda happy about that because I can now spend some time heading NOBO on one of the most fun trails with some awesome people. I plan to start March 1, but on one condition....I have to be accepted to a school before that. Otherwise, I will have interviews while hiking. I have, however, been doing shakedown hikes and what not because I feel everything will work out. Alright folks...see ya out there. Jessicacomp, I took a ton of Sociology classes and would don't mind talking about it!!!

rockrat
12-03-2007, 23:23
Hey y'all. I'll be finishing up from Waynesboro to Maine this summer to knock out the rest of my hike and to celebrate getting through my first year of college. I'll be starting right after Trail Days, so I imagine some of you will be coming off around be there when I am. My trail name is Iceman Dan.

whykickamoocow
12-07-2007, 21:03
I am in the middle group of people in the age ditribution, being 32. I have just graduated from University, and shall be spending some time in Europe before starting the AT so that has pushed my time back to March 24.

jessicacomp
12-12-2007, 22:53
Graduated in May '07 with a degree in Chemistry and Religious Studies...I don't know how they go together either! I didn't get accepted into Med School like I planned, but I am kinda happy about that because I can now spend some time heading NOBO on one of the most fun trails with some awesome people. I plan to start March 1, but on one condition....I have to be accepted to a school before that. Otherwise, I will have interviews while hiking. I have, however, been doing shakedown hikes and what not because I feel everything will work out. Alright folks...see ya out there. Jessicacomp, I took a ton of Sociology classes and would don't mind talking about it!!!

awesome, i dont know anything about chemisty! well, i DID take a class in Chemistry of Cooking, so that helped some haha. I think I'd like to know more though.
I am applying for grad school now, just like you. Hopefully we'll meet on the trail and be able to talk some!

treadwayal
12-15-2007, 16:54
awesome to see people my age. However I'll be starting in late may .... Anyone else starting then?? I'm NOBO starting from Springer.

Wade Chandler
12-17-2007, 03:12
I graduated Friday night from North Georgia College and am planning on starting the trail March 24th!!! I'm looking forward to meeting some of y'all out there!

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 18:52
I left school quite some time ago, but I do live in a college town and have to deal one way or another with students every single day, which sort of keeps me in touch with what passes for present collegiate civilization, at least on the Ivy League level.

See you in March......

Kirby
12-17-2007, 20:07
I left school quite some time ago, but I do live in a college town and have to deal one way or another with students every single day, which sort of keeps me in touch with what passes for present collegiate civilization, at least on the Ivy League level.

See you in March......

Are you hitting the trail again for a bit Jack?

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 20:32
More than a bit, I hope.

Kirby
12-17-2007, 20:51
More than a bit, I hope.

Well, I was using "a bit", in your context. I consider a bit for you to be a whole lot of hiking.

Hope to see you out there, I will call the Doyle when I Summit Springer.

Kirby

Marty_Mcfly
12-24-2007, 13:08
I'll be starting my masters in August hopefully. I'm still waiting to hear back from schools. I graduated in 2006 and have been waiting a long time to do this. I'm really stoked to hear a bunch of other peopel my age are starting around the same time (beg. of March). Who all is doing the approach trail?

squirrels33
12-24-2007, 13:15
Hello all!
I graduated from the University at Buffalo in '05 and have worked at a local newspaper since.
I am looking for a fun loving, easy going hiking buddy to join me NOBO this spring.
If you are interested please email me at [email protected]

sanderson
01-06-2008, 23:02
Hello There! I am leaving in the beginning of march and can't wait to meet some fellow students out on the trail! Facebook me if you have a chance!! (Sarah Louise Anderson/ Century College)

corialice81
01-08-2008, 20:44
Just graduated from App State Univeristy and will be heading out mid April (once I get done teaching Chemistry labs). can't wait to meet every one!

MattBuck30
01-14-2008, 21:05
Just graduated this past june and will be headed NOBO with my buddy sometime in late March. It's great to see we arent the only college students not in a rush to get a job after school! Cant wait to see everyone out there!

Brokha
01-14-2008, 22:13
It is great to see all of these recent grads heading out to the trail...especially a couple from Cincinnati. I graduated from the College of Charleston last May, work now in Cincy, and am going to grad school in the Fall. I'm heading out as soon as the weather looks good, hopefully mid Feb due to school.

jessicacomp
01-14-2008, 23:54
I just got accepted today into grad school :-D I am going the semester after my hike- I am just so relieved not to have to worry about such things on the trail!

ScottP
01-15-2008, 03:10
Beware....once you start hiking you might not want to stop.

jessicacomp
01-15-2008, 23:39
Beware....once you start hiking you might not want to stop.

haha, i see that from all your hiking dates! but oh well, I guess if that happens to me, then I'd just put off grad school. I'd rather be prepared though, I guess.

ScottP
01-16-2008, 00:27
what are you going to grad school for? Unless you're stuck with field work you can probably thru-hike over summer breaks.

Isn't the whole point of going to grad school getting a college teaching job where you have summers off for hiking and don't have to deal with brats during the offseason?

SparrowHawk
01-16-2008, 21:30
Jessicacomp...congrats on the acceptance!!! I bet that's a load off your mind. I had an interview at the University of Tennessee for my grad school on Tuesday (15 Jan) and should find out whether or not I'm accepted no later than 8 Feb. I hope to get an acceptance so that I can feel that sense of relief too. Can't wait for the trail!!!!!

jessicacomp
01-17-2008, 11:49
Scott P, I'm going to school for professional counseling, so no summers off for me.

Sparrowhawk, thanks! Good luck with your interview. I spent so much time preparing for mine, and then I was barely asked any questions! When are you starting the trail?

SparrowHawk
01-17-2008, 21:04
Jessicacomp...my ideal plan would be to start the Approach Trail on 29 Feb (I thought it would be pretty cool to say I started on 29 Feb--since it only comes around every 4 years) and spend the night on Springer, then start the AT on 1 Mar. When are you starting? Oh! The same thing happened to me during my interview, I prepared for 2 weeks and the guy didn't even ask the question I was told to expect--Why didn't you follow the committee's recommendation...oops!!!

jessicacomp
01-18-2008, 21:39
I am starting on March 15th. I was going to start earlier, but I decided to work a couple extra weeks for the money. Maybe we will meet up on the trail though, who knows! Hope your grad school adventures go well too.

SparrowHawk
01-19-2008, 13:01
I just checked my e-mail and have 2 more interviews coming up--one in Kentucky on 8 Feb and the other in Des Moines on 22 Feb. If I don't get accepted before I plan to leave, 8 or 15 March are my alternate start dates. So,Ya...We'll probably meet up!!

tlw08
02-06-2008, 16:05
okay so how many of you will i actually be seeing? i'm starting on either the 1st or 2nd of march. it's getting close! :eek:

Marty_Mcfly
02-06-2008, 17:38
I keep changing my start date. I'm almost done getting all of my gear, and once I do that, and square my insurance away I will leave. I will most likely be hitting it the second weekend in March which I believe is the 15th. Might sooner, but I doubt it.

Kirby
02-06-2008, 18:24
okay so how many of you will i actually be seeing? i'm starting on either the 1st or 2nd of march. it's getting close! :eek:

I'll be there on the first.

Kirby

bobcat13
02-13-2008, 19:47
I graduate March 19. Headed north from Springer on March 26. Hope to meet up with some of you other recent grads.

ScottP
02-13-2008, 22:23
Hitting the Trail april 1st for a 4-6 week section hike.

quasarr
02-13-2008, 22:34
I'm graduating May 9th but I'm going SOBO because I know I can't count on finishing in 5 months!!

glow
02-28-2008, 11:25
Awesome! Going into my freshman college year, I'm starting March 15th or 16th. Hopefully I'll see some of you out there.

emmyo22
02-28-2008, 11:50
hey im a sophmore in college, and planning on taking a semester off with a couple of friends, we start april 1st....good luck to everyone hope to see you all out there;)

quasarr
02-28-2008, 18:48
if I left in march to go NOBO, I'd miss the NCAA tournament

even though it looks like NC State isn't going to be in it :(:(

lisafranson
02-28-2008, 22:47
im taking off this term of school to hike, hopefully be back before the fall term starts but ive made no promises...im startin the 20th of march :banana