PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad

partinj
11-13-2007, 14:25
I read some where don't if it was here or not that someone had put their sleeping pad inside their sleeping bag instead of on the ground. Have any of you guys done this and if so how well did it work. Thank :-?

Marta
11-13-2007, 15:11
I read some where don't if it was here or not that someone had put their sleeping pad inside their sleeping bag instead of on the ground. Have any of you guys done this and if so how well did it work. Thank :-?

I tried it once on a very cold night. Didn't work for me. It was no warmer; in fact, more cold air leaked in because the sleeping bag was held away from my body.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-13-2007, 15:17
Ditto what Marta said.

YeOldeBackpacker
11-13-2007, 15:40
Perhaps the post was about a Big Agnes sleeping bag, they have a pocket on the bottom to put the pad in. That keeps them in place. Just a thought.

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 16:28
+1 I baught the Big Agnus Insulated pad about two weeks ago in plans on buying a BA bag to go along with it so that I could tuck the pad inside of the pocket in the bag.... BUT from what I am hearing, BA's sleeping bags dont quite hold up to their ratings which kind of scare me. I heard of a few people mentioning that their 15 degree bag was more like a 30 degree bag, big difference there. I dont know if there are any other companies who have a pouch for the pad like BA does. I would sure like to find out if there is one though.

JAK
11-13-2007, 16:33
I've played around with blue foam pads inside my gortex bivy vs outside, but haven't tried the blue foam pad inside the sleeping bag. There are some advantages to having it inside the bivy, such as keeping you from rolling off, but the cons seem to outweigh the pros. Most of the cons have to do with condensation, and the claminess of bare skin on foam, or even underwear on foam.

rpenczek
11-15-2007, 08:29
I have two Big Agnes bags (50 degree synthetic and a 15 degree down). Like all Big Agnes bags, they both use the system where the pad slips in a sleave on the bottoms side of the bag.

Both bags are fairly true to their temp ratings for me (I am a warm sleeper). The advantages for me have been:

1. Some weight/compressed size savings (I use a Granite Gear airline small compression sack for my 15 degree bag (really small)
2. I am 6'3" and 290lp, I fit very well in these bags and do not fit well in a typical mummy.
3. Never roll off my pad.

The inflatable pad may be a bit heavier than an ultralite hiker might like, but I sleep very very well.