PDA

View Full Version : My ever growing and internal pack debate / conflict

taildragger
11-13-2007, 19:35
My growing debate over what pack to bring is really just befuddling me. This is for a PCT hike and I just want varied outside opinions.

Currently I have two packs, and old Coleman Peak 1 external with Kevlar frame, and a Gregory Whitney.

I am in debate as to whether I should live with the large bulkiness and weight of the Whitney (sans top lid), repair the suspension on the external, or look at getting a lighter pack for this hike.

I've been slashing my weight where I can. My sleeping system consists of the following
Marmot Helium long
Thermarest Z-ridge (soon to be cut to shape)
and a 8x10 equinox tarp
stakes from my mountain hardware hammerhead tent
might be splitting a tent with a friend once I get to the Sierra's, not sure though

As far as clothing, I haven't made a final list, but I plan on keeping it as cheap as possible, w/o a weight/quality sacrifice

zip pants (2?)
base layer
3 pairs socks and liners
marmot driclime
balaclava
light gloves
base layer
gaiters
thrift store shirt (2?)
Frogg Toggs
Trail runners
big floppy hat

Then the regular first aid, with sunscreen, and water (6-8 litres in the south) and food (5-7 days)

So, is this list looking light enough that I should completely bypass the Whitney? Is it worth re-riggging my old external (I switched to internal in order to gain better balance). Or should I just go with a third pack (something like a ULA conduit or catalyst) in order to capitalize on my lighter gear?

Thoughts, especially from anyone who has done a multi-month hike with a larger pack

Wolf - 23000
11-13-2007, 19:51
Well if your asking, I would suggest using a lighter backpack. I've done the PCT now 3 times. All 3-times were done with a book bag that cost around $10 - $25.

Wolf

Sly
11-13-2007, 19:51
Look for getting a lighter pack. You'll find that most are using packs in the 2-3 lb and 3-4000 CI range.

PJ 2005
11-14-2007, 01:51
Yeah... with the gear you listed, you could definitely pull off a Vapor Trail or equiv.

ScottP
11-14-2007, 14:32
I'd go with the ULA relay (it has a hipbelt). You could attack it with some sissors and probably get it down to 12 oz or so--about the same as a bookbag.

I hiked the PCT with a bookbag last year (22L, i believe), and I ran into problems hitching--people thought i was a hobo, not a hiker. I got rid of it an bought a daypack that was about the same size, but didn't look like it belonged to a hobo. Hitching was easier, but I still regretted it--my jansport superbreak was a much better made daypack than that black diamond piece of crap i bought.
There were only two times where I didn't have enough capacity, and had to hang a few things off the outside of my pack: leaving from Mojave/Tehapichi where the water report said that there would be a 43 mile dry stretch and I needed 4 days of food, and leaving Kennedy Meadows (planning on taking a whole day for whitney). However, if I hiked again I wouldn't have a bigger pack, i'd just speed up through this section and do it at least a day faster.

I just don't like the flow of hiking with a hipbelt.

-If you have the frogg toggs, i'd get rid of the pants for them and the marmot driclime.
-You can get rid of the gloves.
-Get rid of the zip pants and just get a pair of nylon marathon/running shorts (or a kilt).
-You don't need to do the socks/liner socks combo. The PCT is hot and gritty during the day. You want nylon, coolmax running socks, or something of the sort. that breathes.
-Gaiters are defiately a mixed bag. I'd rather stop every few hours to empty the grit out of my shoes then to have them roast in gaiter-made ovens.
-use a 6x10 tarp not a 8x10

-One thrift store shirt will be enough
-You don't really need a 'base layer.' Most people, do however, want something warm--a small down veste (Western Mountaineeright Flight or Flash). (For me, a windbreaker and my sun shirt was enough)

If you plan on hiking during the middle of the day, you may want an umbrella. If you plan on dealing with the heat by night hiking then you can get by without one. I didn't do either. I found that by starting on May 17th, I was able to hit Kennedy meadows around the right time without doing much night hiking or midday hiking.

taildragger
11-14-2007, 15:08
Well, as of now it looks like I might just try and do with the external. I think that my load is small and light enough that I'll be able to make it work.

Scott P, thanks for the suggestions, some of my listed stuff I already owned, some I don't (i.e. I've got an 8x10 tarp, so I'll just live with the extra room vs buying more gear).

I'll probably stick with the driclime and consider getting an emergency poncho. I really like the driclime as a light warmer layer. Since I'm not getting into Washington I won't really be needing to worry about rain other than maybe a quick shower (i.e. nothing lasting more than a few hours, right?)

BTW, what was your daily mileage.