PDA

View Full Version : A couple more days on the BMT

jbwood5
11-13-2007, 20:25
On Friday, 11/10/07, I fast packed from FS61B Sycamore Creek Trailhead (where I quit in the Spring) to Farr Gap for 19 miles. This was a combination hike and occasional run/jog (on the easy sections). Temperatures started in the upper 30's on Friday but warmed to about 60 before the hike was done, making it a perfect day for my trek. The trail along here was in pretty good shape. A little touching up might be in order, but for a primative trail, I thought it was in decent shape. I used Homan's book plus the PDF guide provided by SGT Rock from this site (thank you very much for that data!!!).

Once you get across the Cherohala Skyway, the BMT diamond blazes pretty much become non-existant and you have to depend on the occasional wooden sign posts at the trail intersections. At first, it was a concern to me going a few miles with no evidence that I was on the right trail, but I made a check of the direction I was traveling and accepted the fact that I was going in the right direction. I really never had any problems getting lost. I moved pretty quickly along much of trail 95. It is in great shape.

It was a little tough driving up FS 61 to the trailhead, but my wife was able to creep along in the mini-van with care. I had no issues with hunters and only saw a couple before the hike trying to track their dogs with the radio locators.

I carried all the water I needed on this cool day, but could have easily used a couple of the water sources on the trail (if needed) that looked good at about the mid way point.

I got to Farr Gap about 2:50 PM. My wife was supposed to pick me up at 3:30, so I was a bit ahead of schedule. I ran 3 more miles down Double Creek Road before she came by and picked me up. Had she been at Farr Gap, at 2:50, I probably would have gone to the US129 Bridge, but at 3:30 PM, I felt it was too late to continue on. We had a tent set up on a nice spot along Double Creek Rd about 4 miles down from Farr Gap. There are a few excellent camping areas along this road next to the creek.

The next day, Saturday 11/11/07. I got dropped off at Farr Gap and fast hiked down to the Hwy 129 bridge. This 6.5 mile trek was a little more difficult, primarily because of the fallen leaves that made the downhill path very slippery. It took me 3 hours which was about 1/2 hour longer than I predicted. I am glad I did not try this the day before because I would have finished in the dark or dusk. I jogged a little over a mile of the trail, primarily at the end along the lake. I had a little trouble following the trail near the creek because of the open areas and fresh covering of fallen leaves. With leaves on the ground, there was no evidence of a path, so I did a lot of guess work. This section of the trail was very beautiful and again, I had perfect weather. My wife picked me up at the bridge parking area and we headed for the Smokies to conclude a rather brief vacation (I get Veterans Day off at my job).

I hope to be able to continue on through and complete the rest of the BMT next year (as a full backpack trek, similar to my Spring hike this year).

Just John
Seminole, FL

SGT Rock
11-13-2007, 20:43
Glad I could help with your hike. Sounds like a fun trip. That last section you did on the second day is mine - hope you found it clear.

jbwood5
11-13-2007, 21:24
Glad I could help with your hike. Sounds like a fun trip. That last section you did on the second day is mine - hope you found it clear.

It was in decent shape. Slickrock Creek was so low that I did not even get my feet wet when crossing. I just stayed on dry rocks above the water. Thanks again for your work on this section.