Tin Man
11-13-2007, 23:29
A family trek of 2,650 miles
Book follows 10-year-old girl on her adventure
By Tom Mangan
Mercury News
Article Launched: 11/08/2007 01:47:20 AM PST

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; }

What kind of mom takes her 10-year-old daughter trekking across the wilderness for months on end, and what kind of 10-year-old daughter puts up with having such a mom? The answers that unfold in Barbara Egbert's "Zero Days" make the East Bay family's adventure seem plausible - even inevitable.

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_7402602?nclick_check=1

A-Train
11-14-2007, 00:34
Troll and Oblivious hiked the PCT this yr and Oblivious is 12 or 13 I think. And hiked the AT 2 yrs earlier. He'll probably be the youngest triple crowner if/when they do the CDT

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2007, 00:44
Oblivious was an absolute joy the year he, Anchor and Troll hiked the AT. I have little doubt he will become the youngest triple crowner.

I would love to meet and talk with Mary. Long-distance hikers are a special breed and long-distance hiking children are even more special.

sonic
11-14-2007, 10:31
On their trail journal, there is mention of Oblivious doing the CDT in 2009.

Miner
11-14-2007, 15:54
I remember seeing Scrambler and her parents interviewed by Scott "Squatch" Herriot in his PCT documentary "Still Walking". He found them at the ADZPCTKO the year after their hike. I glad there is now a book about it as I admit to being more curious about such a young kid succesfully hiking the trail (espeically those deep fords in the Sierras).

taildragger
11-14-2007, 16:02
I remember seeing Scrambler and her parents interviewed by Scott "Squatch" Herriot in his PCT documentary "Still Walking". He found them at the ADZPCTKO the year after their hike. I glad there is now a book about it as I admit to being more curious about such a young kid succesfully hiking the trail (espeically those deep fords in the Sierras).

meh, you can just throw kids across the streams. He can't be much heavier than the average weekend warriors backpack (the ones with dutch ovens and 3 room tents)

JAK
11-14-2007, 18:26
Oblivious is a really cool trail name for a kid. Perhaps I need to start thinking up a trail name for my daughter, or for both of us. I've always wanted to take her out of school for one year and home school her while travelling around the world or something. A thru-hike would be another great option. Perhaps both. I've often thought one of those junior high school years might be best. Doubt we will be able to make it happen, but here's hoping. Thanks for the inspiration and example, all those that have gone before, obliviously, or otherwise.

Sly
11-14-2007, 18:45
meh, you can just throw kids across the streams. He can't be much heavier than the average weekend warriors backpack (the ones with dutch ovens and 3 room tents)

Obviously a joke, I hope. Otherwise you're oblivious! :p Many of the fords on the PCT are noteworthy and not to be taken lightly.

taildragger
11-14-2007, 19:03
Obviously a joke, I hope. Otherwise you're oblivious! :p Many of the fords on the PCT are noteworthy and not to be taken lightly.

It was a joke, and I've got a few months before I find out what noteworthy truly means (you can only read, here, look at pictures and it means nothing till your in it)

Sly
11-14-2007, 19:20
It was a joke, and I've got a few months before I find out what noteworthy truly means (you can only read, here, look at pictures and it means nothing till your in it)

Oh you'll find out. This year wasn't too bad since the trail didn't have all that much snow but, normally you'll face a few fords that will rattle your poles. Not only are some swift and/or deep, they're bone chilling cold. I wore Tevas through much of the Sierra because they were so frequent.

warraghiyagey
11-14-2007, 19:23

There are many factors to weigh when considering what fords you could launch a child over. The size and weight of the child, width of the body of water, strength of the person who has to throw the child, the landing surface on the other side and downstream obstacles that the child could get stuck in if one misjudges the toss.
Certainly one should also consider fording first and dragging the child across with a rope you tied around it's waist. Or you could just ford together using the childs' head as an extra balancing point that would increase both of your chances of getting across.
Or in the spirit of adventure sit down and have a smoke while sending the child across first to see how safe it is.

:D

Sly
11-14-2007, 19:28
Well yeah you could grab Oblivious by his mohawk and launch him like a discus. I'd only worry about seeing his privates under his kilt. :p

warraghiyagey
11-14-2007, 19:31
The kid certainly sounds as if he is at the beginning of a remarkable life. If only I could have been on the trail at 10 instead of where I was.

warraghiyagey
11-14-2007, 19:35
Well yeah you could grab Oblivious by his mohawk and launch him like a discus. . . :p

I would think the Mohawk grip would be more effective with a frisbee throwing motion. For the best discus throw I think you'd have to have your hand over his face and gripping under his chin.

Smile
11-14-2007, 19:43
Way to go Oblivious! How cool to be doing something like this at 10 yrs old, impressive. :)

taildragger
11-14-2007, 20:02
I would think the Mohawk grip would be more effective with a frisbee throwing motion. For the best discus throw I think you'd have to have your hand over his face and gripping under his chin.

Nah, I think the mohawk would be better for a hammer style throw

warraghiyagey
11-14-2007, 20:07
Nah, I think the mohawk would be better for a hammer style throw

True. Also, if the stream were narrow enough one might consider the kaber toss style.