PDA

View Full Version : Good quality, or no?

Jarhead16
11-13-2007, 23:33
Alright, I bought a tent from Wal-mart today on a whim. It's Wal-mart brand...Ozark Trail... It seems to be doing alright and I have seam-sealed it. My question is would it work on a thru? :rolleyes:

mts4602
11-13-2007, 23:41
ok, I might not have the experience to comment on thru hiking, but I see no problem with you taking it on a thru. If you try it out in the wind/rain and it works then go for it. The only problems I can see is weight.

Just a Hiker
11-13-2007, 23:42
I met a guy on the trail in Georgia a few years ago with a "Hello Kitty" tent from K-Mart, so I say Hell Yes!!!:banana

Just Jim

Jarhead16
11-13-2007, 23:51
WOW!!! My little sister used to have a hello kitty sleeping bag...But a grown man with a tent? I think I might try it for as long as I can take it.

Skidsteer
11-13-2007, 23:53
Alright, I bought a tent from Wal-mart today on a whim. It's Wal-mart brand...Ozark Trail... It seems to be doing alright and I have seam-sealed it. My question is would it work on a thru? :rolleyes:

Set it up in the backyard during a storm and find out.

Jarhead16
11-13-2007, 23:55
It's currently there and I am sleeping in it Friday, but I have to move it so it won't kill the little grass we have. I live in a VERY rainy place so, it should hit the proving grounds soon.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2007, 00:18
It has been done so my answer is yes. There are better quality and lighter alternatives out there... and many of them are as inexpensive as a WalMart tent if you learn to sew. Head on over to this site (http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html)and take a look at the shelters on the left sidebar.

The Dinos are in the middle of making some serious gear changes necessitated by the female dino's leg getting injured. As a couple, we use the Texport Knollwood (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/texsport/knollwood-bivy-shelter/review/4705/) as a bivy for warm sleeping / bug protection and a 10' x 12' silnylon tarp (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=88644) for weather coverage. I would not trust this tent to keep me dry, but the tent has a mesh roof so the ventilation is fantastic.

This system gives us a huge amount of dry area for things like cooking, relaxing, drying gear, waiting out storms and a cozy, warm bug-free area for sleeping (about the size of a standard double bed so you need to be good friends if you plan to sleep two in this). The weight - 4 lbs, 7 ozs including lines & stakes. The weight is a bit more than some tents for two but this system provides enough dry space for us to be worth the extra weight. Many hikers have left their packs under our tarp while they sat up in the rain. A few have set up free-standing tents with rain flies under the tarp to keep them from getting wet inside before moving them to their evening location. Many, many hikers have cooked and spent time visiting under the tarp during storms.

EWS
11-14-2007, 00:28
Hello Kitty tents are superior to Ozark Trials tents. I'd exchange it.

It should work fine. I spent one very wind and wet night in a cheap tent on the Hebrides; it influenced me enough to never use a cheap tent in less than ideal conditions again. YMMV

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 00:29
Hah, you should see the last thing I tried to sew! It came apart when I tried to put it on. The stitches literally fell out.

Tha Wookie
11-14-2007, 00:51
I would say it's probably a waste of money and a POS

Tha Wookie
11-14-2007, 00:52
I've used on of those tents in the islands. It would be a pain on a thru. Zippers broke in weeks.

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 02:20
Hah, it was only $13 anyways.

Tha Wookie
11-14-2007, 02:40
you'd get your money's worth

Tinker
11-14-2007, 03:01
Honestly, do yourself a favor and invest in something that will keep you and your gear dry. If it doesn't fail in the rain, will it fail in the wind? If it fails in windy rain and your gear gets soaked, you won't be happy and could risk hypothermia in colder weather. The zipper failure arguement in the above post is a good one, too. You should have to choose whether or not to have a shelter that's bug proof. You wouldn't want your shelter to make that decision for you ;) .

caiti pi
11-14-2007, 05:02
i use a tent from Target.. a 2 sleeper little thing that weighs just over 2lbs including tarp, spent less then $20 on the thing, and i love it. Gear weenies will tell you to stick to the name brands and what has worked for them, but figure out what works for you. i do agree with the zipper arguement, but if the tent survives several shakedowns in different conditions, buy another one! i see no reason why you shouldnt use something that works.. even if it is from WallyWorld.

To the hellokitty arguement.. my spongebob summerweight sleeping bag (which ill be using on trail most likely) is much cooler. wayyyy cooler.

Appalachian Tater
11-14-2007, 06:37
If it fails in windy rain and your gear gets soaked, you won't be happy and could risk hypothermia in colder weather.

You don't even have to have cold weather to get hypothermia. A shelter that doesn't keep you and your stuff dry is a safety hazard.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-14-2007, 06:59
If it has fiberglass poles (not carbon fiber) the quick answer is pass it by.

SGT Rock
11-14-2007, 09:03
Get a tarp.

mudhead
11-14-2007, 09:11
Go beat it up for a while.

You would not be the first to have fun in a hunk like that...

Campmor. Easy to remember.

taildragger
11-14-2007, 09:20
depending on what its made of I'd be leary about it.

How much real coverage does the rain fly give?

What are the poles made out of. I'd say that if they are fiberglass you might want to look at another tent.

When and where are you starting, do you think this thing could handle a late slushy snow in the mountains if it happened?

I'd agree with Rock, get a Tarp and maybe something like the equinox preying mantis bug bivy for the skeeters. Just start to practice with it and you should be fine.

rafe
11-14-2007, 09:23
Good gear needn't be name-brand or expensive. I hiked most of the AT with a Camp Trails pack, Eureka tent, and a sleeping bag from Dick's Sports.

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 11:40
Well, it was half off, I'm getting a brand spankin new sierra designs for christmas and I wanted it mainly for a campout party Friday. So, no money wasted, and question pretty much answered.

briarpatch
11-14-2007, 11:49
Last season, Many Sleeps (the Springer caretaker) used a 4 man ozark trails tent from Feb till May. Of course, he left it up all the time at the meadow on Springer so there was no wear and tear for setting it up and taking it down every day. This season a GATC member donated a Mountain Hardware Light Wedge 3 for him to use.

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 13:43
Here's a picture of it.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q277/curtisto/Mytent.jpg

Cuffs
11-14-2007, 14:54
Well, it was half off, I'm getting a brand spankin new sierra designs for christmas and I wanted it mainly for a campout party Friday. So, no money wasted, and question pretty much answered.

If you bought this tent so that you could go to a campout and knew all along you were getting another tent later down the line, why did you ask if this tent would suffice for a thru-hike?

I would suggest that you put all the information you have and all your questions in the first post, that way the thread doesnt get twisted around and we can really tell your motives...

I would also suggest you pay more attention to your studies than taking time during your school day to post this stuff during school hours... you never know who's watching...:-?

Mags
11-14-2007, 15:08
Way back in the dark ages of 1996, I went on a white water rafting trip on the Penobscott in Maine.

For this trip, I bought my first ever tent. A K-Mart tent similar to your Wally World special. Had the same shrunken "rain fly".

At night, a TORRENTIAL down pour happened.

There was a large puddle in my tent by the end of the night.

From that moment on, I knew that it just wasn't worth to go cheap in certain items. I suspect the Ozark Trails tent will leak like a sieve as it has the almost same design (and probably construction) as that tent I got rid a long time ago.

Certain things from Wally World are fine (foam pad, long undwear, hats, gloves, etc.)...a tent? Not so much.

OTOH, I saw a rafting guide about to start walking from Katahdin to Georgia the following week. I thought he was insane. :)

gaga
11-14-2007, 15:50
jarhead16 , just set it up, go inside it, and turn on the sprinklers if in 5 minutes you are not wet is good, if you are wet after 5 minutes , just stay another 15 minutes wet in the tent, if you like that feeling ...

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 15:53
If you bought this tent so that you could go to a campout and knew all along you were getting another tent later down the line, why did you ask if this tent would suffice for a thru-hike?

I would suggest that you put all the information you have and all your questions in the first post, that way the thread doesnt get twisted around and we can really tell your motives...

I would also suggest you pay more attention to your studies than taking time during your school day to post this stuff during school hours... you never know who's watching...:-?

Well, I am getting it from a site where you can return or get a refund for lifetime. AND, I homeschool and I started at 6 am this morning. I finish in about 3 hours because I have less classess than normal. But thank you for your concern, I realize that it was for my best interest and I like haveing someone to be a "parent" when it comes to things like that.:)

maxNcathy
11-14-2007, 16:04
I may have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 for sale..used with care on the AT for several nights this past April..weighs 2 pounds 8 ounces.

Don't carry a crappy tent. Choose tent and sleeping bag carefully.
Sandalwood

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2007, 16:15
People have thru-hiked using a wide variety of equipment. For the most part, shelters made by manufacturers who sell equipment to serious backpackers are going to work and hold up far better than the store-brand shelter from WalMart. WalMart isn't targeting the buyer who plans to live in the shelter for 100+ days, but the person who plans to use it for a weekend campout.

My comments are directed at those who may come to this thread next year with a serious question about using this sort of tent to thru-hike.

After seeing the pic of the tent, I have to say the design of this particular tent is a problem (as Mags found out the hard way). Go look at the door design on the tent I posted - there would be no way to get in / out of that tent without getting water inside in any sort of rain event and I don't even want to consider what would happen if the rain happen to be blowing toward the tent's interior. I would hope that if I came here asking if that tent was OK for a thru, someone would point out that design flaw.

(Before anyone ask - I need the defective door design to be able to enter and exit the tent because of ortho problems so I have developed a fix for the problem with the design - cover the gaping doorway with a tarp)

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 16:27
Ok all, VERY well noted. Thanks for pointing everything out to me, some of those things were just things I never even considered, like the fly and door. I am DEFINITELY still getting my Sierra Designs Iota.

Alligator
11-14-2007, 16:34
Well, I am getting it from a site where you can return or get a refund for lifetime. AND, I homeschool and I started at 6 am this morning. I finish in about 3 hours because I have less classess than normal. But thank you for your concern, I realize that it was for my best interest and I like haveing someone to be a "parent" when it comes to things like that.:)Well if you don't mind the parenting you really should steer clear of staying up past 1:00 a.m. if you start classes at 6:00 a.m. Poor sleep is not conducive to learning young man;).

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 16:40
Yah, I know. I try to sleep but it just doesn't work sometimes. I'm usually konked out at 10:15. I sleep with incense and it helps for the most part, but last night I was feeling pretty crappy and sweating quite a bit.

Alligator
11-14-2007, 16:45
Yah, I know. I try to sleep but it just doesn't work sometimes. I'm usually konked out at 10:15. I sleep with incense and it helps for the most part, but last night I was feeling pretty crappy and sweating quite a bit.Seems to have been a hot, crappy week:eek:.

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 16:52
Well, we were out monday for Veteran's Day. And both my sister and myself are feeling ill, in fact she just came home from school sick, and the lady who cleans our house is ill as well. I don't know what it is but I don't want it. Mrs. Jan says she has a sore throat and cough, but my sister says she keeps getting hot, and cold, and so on. Plus, she can't get comfortable and has an agitated stomach. Which is how I have been feeling the past two days. I don't really care about getting sick and having to refrain from playing outside but I can never sleep when I'm sick and that's the part I hate.

Alligator
11-14-2007, 16:59
So, since you don't have the SD tent yet, do you know the model you are interested in? Tents can be on the heavy side and there may be other options that you haven't considered and folks here might be willing to help you out with.

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 18:02
It's the iota, 3 lbs. 12 oz. I really like the vestibule space, people say there's plenty of space to cook in and other things. But, if it doesn't work, I'll send it back and try the Kelty Stick ultralight. It's lighter but not as roomy. What do you all use?

Cuffs
11-14-2007, 18:04
Well, we were out monday for Veteran's Day. And both my sister and myself are feeling ill, in fact she just came home from school sick,

Well which is it? In post #28 you state that you are home schooled, and here you are saying you were out on Monday and your sis was at school...

Alligator
11-14-2007, 18:06
It's the iota, 3 lbs. 12 oz. I really like the vestibule space, people say there's plenty of space to cook in and other things. But, if it doesn't work, I'll send it back and try the Kelty Stick ultralight. It's lighter but not as roomy. What do you all use?I generally use a tarp. I have used a hammock, own a Megalight teepee style tent for family camping, and have a SD Omega for winter use.

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 18:14
It's the iota, 3 lbs. 12 oz. I really like the vestibule space, people say there's plenty of space to cook in and other things. But, if it doesn't work, I'll send it back and try the Kelty Stick ultralight. It's lighter but not as roomy. What do you all use?

I demo'd an Iota for an outfitter in Ky and I liked some of the features. I wasn't on the AT, I was hiking in Redriver Gorge.....it's a good tent, but there are much lighter ones out there.

Just Jim

JAK
11-14-2007, 18:19
For people reasonably under 6' tall, there are soem kids tents out there that work reasonably well and are reasonably lightweight for about $20. That's definitely in my price range, but not quite in my height range. The cheap tents that are tall enough for my are too heavy, so I poncho/tarp it.

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 18:39
Well which is it? In post #28 you state that you are home schooled, and here you are saying you were out on Monday and your sis was at school...
Get ready for quite a spill:

I am in the 11th grade at homeschool, about to enter 12th in a few weeks. My sister is in the 8th grade at a priveate school, she didn't like homeschooling because she wanted to talk to people all day instead of study. I like homeschool because I don't have to wait for slacking potheads to waste my time and I can finish quickly. I only get X-mas day off of school and no summer. This Monday I was abruptly told that I had the day off. My sister's school was out as well. Today, my grandfather was here and we went to lunch, we were almost home and my little sister called and said that she was sick. Even her teacher was concerned about her before she asked to go home. My housekeeper, Mrs. Jan called this morning during my school time and said she was feeling ill. I myself am trying to get rid of a burning and runny nose plus a headache. If that doesn't clear it up I don't know how. No offense to anyone but I really don't feel like typing this again, I have had two fractures in my right hand that still give me problems.

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 18:48
Get ready for quite a spill:

I am in the 11th grade at homeschool, about to enter 12th in a few weeks. My sister is in the 8th grade at a priveate school, she didn't like homeschooling because she wanted to talk to people all day instead of study. I like homeschool because I don't have to wait for slacking potheads to waste my time and I can finish quickly. I only get X-mas day off of school and no summer. This Monday I was abruptly told that I had the day off. My sister's school was out as well. Today, my grandfather was here and we went to lunch, we were almost home and my little sister called and said that she was sick. Even her teacher was concerned about her before she asked to go home. My housekeeper, Mrs. Jan called this morning during my school time and said she was feeling ill. I myself am trying to get rid of a burning and runny nose plus a headache. If that doesn't clear it up I don't know how. No offense to anyone but I really don't feel like typing this again, I have had two fractures in my right hand that still give me problems.

You don't owe anyone an explanation Jarhead.....hike your own hike pal!!:D

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 18:58
I know, but as I understand I have caused a rather fair amount of confusion and thought it to be the decent thing to do.

Froggy
11-14-2007, 19:12
Sometime when it's convenient, find someone who can sew and ask them to teach you how. Most sewing machines are adequate for most backpacking gear and are readily available on Craigslist, and fabric is a lot cheaper than finished product.

But there are two main things that are kind of important. The first is that you'll get exactly the gear you want.

The second is that forever after that, you'll know how to build things.

When I made my first pack, I discovered that a pack was virtually identical in effort and similar in construction to the horizontal stabilizer of a small airplane (I was working my way through college at the time by building a kit plane for someone). The fabric and sheet metal are both membrane elements. The thread and rivets hold these together. A small device called Clecos are like pins; they hold the metal together while riveting. The metal is cut with snips which are basically large scissors. See how it goes?

So if you can sew, you can build an airplane. If you can build an airplane, you can make anything you want to. As they say, the sky's the limit.

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 20:09
Nice comparison, I LOVE airplanes. Every time I ask someone, it's inconvenient and they're "busy" so they can't teach me. I have wanted to learn how for about 3 years now.

Cuffs
11-14-2007, 20:13
Many fabric stores that sell sewing machines usually offer sewing classes for a nominal fee...

Try here... http://www.joann.com/joann/store_locator/locator_main.jsp;jsessionid=YTWGKD3KPZMASP4SY5NFAF J50LD3KUPU

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 20:18
I can see myself now, I walk into Joann's and pay them with my first paycheck. 30 years later when my son spends his first check he says, "Dad, what did you spend your first paycheck on?" "Well son, it was a 1963 Gt 500!";)

sloopjonboswell
11-15-2007, 01:45
i ditched my tent after a few weeks in favor of a 6'x8' tarp i bought for $3 at the hardware store in damascus. scored a small scrap of tyvek for a groundcloth, and used that set up for well over 1,500 miles. i never actually put it up unless it rained. i think the style i used is called the 'diamond' (as far as how i staked/tied it.)
1)no poles/ less weight
2)not setting it up most nights got me out faster in the morning
3)tarpers are cooler than tenters anyway.

KG4FAM
11-15-2007, 10:13
I carried a twenty dollar walmart tent from Springer to Damascus and did all right. It leaked some, so I threw my poncho over it for added rain protection. Whatever works, works.

Blue Wolf
11-15-2007, 10:18
Just Curious what does it weigh?

Blue Wolf
11-15-2007, 10:22
Just curious has anyone ever tried or had any experience with one of these tents? for 17.00 I think I'm gonna just buy it check it out if it is garbage sell it at garage sale.
http://www.texsport.net/willowbend-person-trail-tent-p-42.html

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 10:36
I can see myself now, I walk into Joann's and pay them with my first paycheck. 30 years later when my son spends his first check he says, "Dad, what did you spend your first paycheck on?" "Well son, it was a 1963 Gt 500!";)::: Dino mops coffee off monitor and keyboard :::

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 10:38

of course it would

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 10:41
Just curious has anyone ever tried or had any experience with one of these tents? for 17.00 I think I'm gonna just buy it check it out if it is garbage sell it at garage sale.
http://www.texsport.net/willowbend-person-trail-tent-p-42.htmlI had several of those when the kids were little - they are similar to the old scouting pup-tents. If you get one for serious backpacking use, I would very strongly suggest that you get some seam-sealing tape rather than relying on the regular method of painting for sealing the seams. Cheap tents often use larger thread sizes and too few stitches per inch to be watertight structures without such measures.

Blue Wolf
11-15-2007, 10:49
Thanks,Dino that saved 17.00 I'll stick with my Squall but haven't had it in the rain yet either??

MOWGLI
11-15-2007, 10:59
Hah, it was only $13 anyways.

Let me guess. Made in...

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 11:14
Let me guess. Made in...

Hmm...

China...

Taiwan...

Japan...

USA??? HAH!!!! So that was a trick question!:D

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 11:15
::: Dino mops coffee off monitor and keyboard :::

Now what did you do that for:-?......................................:D

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 11:18
Couldn't you just see some goober struttin around with one of these strapped to his pack!!!

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Pop-Up-Tent-P1853C291.aspx

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 11:22
Just Curious what does it weigh?

Not sure, my breakfast break is over though:eek:, I'll find out in around 30 mins. when I finish World History.

MOWGLI
11-15-2007, 11:25
Hmm...

China...

Taiwan...

Japan...

USA??? HAH!!!! So that was a trick question!:D

Be careful not to lick your tent. It might be laminated with the date rape drug.

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 11:43
I don't think tent fabric is my kinda appetizer:rolleyes:

Well, I just finished my final exam for History, it was all multiple choice and short answer. There wasn't even an essay. I think I did well, I only skipped two:banana

Gray Blazer
11-15-2007, 11:51
I've got a My Little Pony sleeping bag and a Rainbow Brite tent.

taildragger
11-15-2007, 11:57
I've got a My Little Pony sleeping bag and a Rainbow Brite tent.

Do you have some carebear pillows to go with that?

Personally, the only themed gear that I will bring is a Mr. Rogers M-16 and Chuck Norris TP

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 12:23
For some reason I find it plausible that your tp MIGHT chafe a little.

Pony
11-15-2007, 15:50
I have two Ozark Trail tents. I use them for music festivals, backyard campouts and such. The newest of the two is still in good shape, although it has only been used about 6-8 times. The other one is a mess, poles shattered, and zippers busted. As soon as I polish up on my sewing skills it will become a pack cover.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 16:08
The monstrous cabin tent that some of you have seen the Dinos bring to gatherings, TD, etc is an Ozark Trail. I ran out to the nearest 'big-box' store (WalMart back then) and bought it some years ago (it has a canvas roof so it really was some years ago). I got it because the Dinos I had more grandchildren than bed / floor / pegs-on-wall :D space would allow at the house for a family reunion. While it has been sealed with seam tape, I generally throw a tarp over it if heavy rain is expected. It is a single wall tent so I wrap it in a tarp if it is right-chilly and windy (anyone remember the blue-tarpped monster at Gathering 2006? :D)

taildragger
11-15-2007, 16:17
For some reason I find it plausible that your tp MIGHT chafe a little.

Welp, you've heard of cutting the cheese, my TP just helps me grate the cheese :D

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 17:19
I happen to like freshly grated parmesan over some 'sketti. I don't think that's the same cheese though:eek: