PDA

View Full Version : Better Winter Socks?

jrturkeycu
11-13-2007, 23:57
From everyones experiences which are better for cold (20 and below) weather after setting up for camp? 200wt fleece or wool socks. I have actually only ever used cotton (despite the adage) and feet always get cold. Suprisingly enough the hands generally stay warm...

FanaticFringer
11-14-2007, 01:04
I use these www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39226161&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Tinker
11-14-2007, 02:17
I have used both wool and synthetic socks in all temperatures. I don't usually get cold feet until the numbers are in the single digits. I don't even wear cotton socks in town anymore. For name brands, try Smartwool for wool socks or Thor-lo for synthetic. Thor-lo socks are more durable, Smartwools are more comfortable. I try to keep one pair dry (using one pair for 2-3 days before changing them). Wet socks aren't nearly as warm as dry socks. You can also experiment with vapor barriers under your socks while in camp. They work surprisingly well in cold weather. Any durable plastic bag large enough to put your feet in will do.

1azarus
11-14-2007, 09:34
...just walked to work wearing my merrell continuum trail runners, mid or lightwt smartwool socks (not sure which...), with the plastic bag my newspaper comes in between the smartwools and a light weight sock liner, which is against my foot. actually felt pretty good. even now, sitting at my desk, it doesn't seem too warm. i'll stick my foot in the sink before walking home for lunch. (yes, I know the toilet would be easier...) hoping that with montbelle gaitors this will work for rain/snow this january in NJ... what do you think? ...and yes, I know, it is nice to be able to walk to work.

River Runner
11-15-2007, 00:37
While fleece are warm, I like to use wool, because I can use my 'sleeping' pair for hiking out the last day, so I only take one pair of extra socks for a weekend trip.

Bare Bear
11-16-2007, 11:43
Any dry sock will be better than a wet one. I like Smart wools but Thorlo is good too. NOT COTTON. If they get wet it is important to get em dry by hanging by fire then put them inside your sleeping bag but not next to your body (in case you sweat) . I am usually just glad to be out hiking and if I have to put on wet socks because of ten days of straight rain then hey it beats being home..:)