PDA

View Full Version : liquor as a water purifior?

Hurley
11-14-2007, 00:22
Would it be possible to purify water with liquor, especially whiskey for the matter? Say for example, making a mixed drink at the end of the day with a cup of water and a shot of whiskey.:D Would there be any need to purify that water any more?

minnesotasmith
11-14-2007, 00:33
I happen to know that it takes at least a 5% ethanol concentration to be halfway reliable at suppressing most bacteria. It would not be instantaneous for that concentration, though. If you're going to do this with anything but high concentrations (like 20%-plus), I suggest you let the water sit in your Nalgene overnight. Plus, if you can strain out suspended matter with a coffee filter or other material, your treatment will be more likely to work adequately.

Really, though, you'd do MUCH better weight-wise to either bring Aqua Mira (2 tiny bottles treat 30 gallons of water), or a good-quality filter (I think highly of Katadyne brand).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2007, 00:42
Given what MS is saying, it might be wise to mix that evening cocktail in the morning....

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 00:45
Would it be possible to purify water with liquor, especially whiskey for the matter? Say for example, making a mixed drink at the end of the day with a cup of water and a shot of whiskey.:D Would there be any need to purify that water any more?

I don't know if it would work, but I think you'll have fun trying!!!:banana

Just Jim

Hurley
11-14-2007, 00:45
I defianately plan on using tablets. However, a shot of 80 proof, or 40% alcohal in a cup of water has to do something.

EWS
11-14-2007, 00:48
I wouldn't risk ruining good bourbon with munky water.

Hikes in Rain
11-14-2007, 07:19
I defianately plan on using tablets. However, a shot of 80 proof, or 40% alcohal in a cup of water has to do something.

Happy bugs? But if my math is correct (it's pretty early!), you'd end up with a 5% concentration of alcohol in that cup. That doesn't sound very high for antibacterial action.

mrc237
11-14-2007, 07:45
Drink the whiskey sraight and chase it with the water, let it purify in your belly!:D

aaronthebugbuffet
11-14-2007, 07:52
I would think the sugars in whiskey would promote bacteria growth.
There was a Wild Turkey spill here a few years ago and the bacteria count in the stream went through the roof.

saimyoji
11-14-2007, 08:51
Use the alcohol to boil your water. :rolleyes:

Flush2wice
11-14-2007, 10:02
I think you should feild test this theory. Try it in your back yard for a few nights. before hitting the trail.

dessertrat
11-14-2007, 11:19
Maybe that's why the sailors in the old days were known for being healthy despite their poor diet and hard living: grog every day.

Uncle Silly
11-14-2007, 12:22
Use the alcohol to boil your water. :rolleyes:

Won't work unless you're in the habit of carrying the strong stuff. You need a 100 proof (50%) or higher alcohol to burn, and it's not terribly efficient (for heating/cooking) until you get upwards of 70%.

But if my math is correct (it's pretty early!), you'd end up with a 5% concentration of alcohol in that cup.

Pretty close! A shot of 80 proof whiskey contains 0.6oz of pure alcohol. The total volume of the drink (a cup of water + a shot of whiskey) is 9.5oz. 0.6 / 9.5 = .063, or 6.3%.

Hikes in Rain
11-14-2007, 12:57
Pretty close! A shot of 80 proof whiskey contains 0.6oz of pure alcohol. The total volume of the drink (a cup of water + a shot of whiskey) is 9.5oz. 0.6 / 9.5 = .063, or 6.3%.[/quote]

I thought that 80 proof would be 40% alcohol, so that one ounce would have 0.4 oz of alcohol. I also used an 8 oz. cup and assumed a one oz shot. Looks like you used a 1.5 oz. (much better!) shot, if you did the same.

Either way, there's about the same alcohol content in our hypothetical camp cocktail as a good beer. I recall from brewing beer that pathogens can't live in beer, but I think the contact time would have a lot to do with that, and I wouldn't expect much time spent in the Sierra cup.

Uncle Silly
11-14-2007, 13:18
I thought that 80 proof would be 40% alcohol, so that one ounce would have 0.4 oz of alcohol. I also used an 8 oz. cup and assumed a one oz shot. Looks like you used a 1.5 oz. (much better!) shot, if you did the same.

I used to think a shot was 1 fl.oz., but I've come to understand 1.5 fl.oz. is a much more widely accepted standard. I didn't even consider a 1oz shot.

weary
11-14-2007, 17:16
It's always worked for me. I always try to keep a bit of 100 proof bourbon with me. I drink a little each night to kill all the bugs that may have contaminated the water I drank during the day.

Weary

Ender
11-14-2007, 17:51
I happen to know that it takes at least a 5% ethanol concentration to be halfway reliable at suppressing most bacteria.

One thing to keep in mind is that there's a difference between supressing new bacteria, and killing off existing bacteria. Like MS says, maybe a 20% alcohol content would do enough to purify the water, maybe, but then you lose out on the benefits of drinking the water because the alcohol will dehydrate you.

The reason that it works so well in existing beer is that to make beer, you have to boil the water first, which kills off the bacteria. Then, once the sugers ferment into alcohol, that alcohol keeps bacteria away. The most dangerous time when making beer is the time between the boil, and when the alcohol % gets high enough to keep away bacteria. It's easy to "skunk" a beer during that time.

So, bottom line, alcohol is terrible as a water purifyer.

taildragger
11-14-2007, 18:11
So, bottom line, alcohol is terrible as a water purifyer.

It's better than earplugs for keeping the sound out, and talk about a moral lifter :banana

Uncle Silly
11-14-2007, 18:36
It's better than earplugs for keeping the sound out, and talk about a moral lifter :banana

dunno about lifting my morals (indeed, i rather suspect alcohol is guilty of lowering them), but it has lifted my morale a time or three... :D

splatman
11-20-2007, 11:05
No
But consider that some folks don't purify at all, with no ill effects. I always filter - it's no big deal, and it's peace of mind.