PDA

View Full Version : poll for former thru hikers

alpine
12-02-2003, 07:29
with drawn

Moon Monster
12-02-2003, 23:50
One 0.5 oz bottle of tea tree oil and/or water for any skin mishaps like blisters or cuts. Every so often, I wish I had some topical pain killer for a bug bite, but I rarely carry it. All else to chance and good luck.

Rain Man
12-03-2003, 15:24
How much did your first aid materials weigh?

Does duct tape count as first aid?!!! What about my knife? A water bottle and soap?

We need some "rules" for this here poll, don't we?

:jump

goshawk
12-04-2003, 10:28
Icarry 4 yards duct tape and a bandana does that count?

blazinbrush
12-09-2003, 11:57
Weight is much less important than what the "kit" consists of. My girlfriend and I thru-hiked this past summer. We carried a couple bandaids, duct tape, and athletic tape (around trekking poles) and pain killers, probably our most valued, although we didn't use 'em too much. I think foot care is the most used 1st aid. We started with a few blister bandaids, but she ended up getting something similar to foot rot and needed much more foot care stuff. We tried tons of things, as did everybody else. Duct tape didn't work for us.

Flanders
GA-ME 03

rumbler
12-09-2003, 16:40
Duct tape and Advil.

Blue Jay
12-10-2003, 09:05
Clearly most people do not worry about a fall that causes large amounts of blood to flow. I seem to remember many many places on the AT where a fall could cause severe damages. It appears you would just stuff the old sweaty bandana into the gash and try to hold it in with duct tape while you try to walk fast enough to reach a road before you run out of blood. For some reason that does not work for me.

Jaybird
01-19-2004, 15:56
not a thru-hiker...but i think a few first aid supplies are in order...........even for us "section-hikers!"

a few band-aids, a little duct tape, & triple ointment...& maybe a few motrin for the aching knees...& you gots it made! ;)

see ya'll out there in 2004!

foodbag
01-20-2004, 00:20
Duct tape, lots of ibuprofen, two or three different sizes of gauze, two pieces of each, a dozen band-aids, a roll of dental floss, some first aid tape, a bandana and a pair of tweezers, in a Zip-Loc bag

fatmatt
08-21-2004, 18:16
tylenol pm...knocks you out and kills the soreness

magic_game03
08-22-2004, 01:12
Anybody who says "band-aids" has got to be kidding! Oh well, live and learn.

Duct tape got man back from the moon, it removes warts, I seriously doubt any thru-hiker has ever hiked the entire trail without owing some gratitude to it's silvery majestic cling, and it's the only thing I carry that it's primary function is first aid. I use duct tape to prevent blisters.

Also, there is nothing I carry that I don’t consider as performing other possible functions, like a bandanna as an open wound compression pad or trekking poles as splints or my Duo-fold long sleeve shirt as a sling. Likewise, my duct tape does serves other functions than first aid.

Panama Red
12-23-2004, 00:00
only 5 oz if you dont count the whiskey

Lion King
12-23-2004, 00:11
April 1st...Am Falls GA---one of those supersize WalMart everything kits---

later---NEELS GAP----most of it gone

LATER----

Fontana-----all of it gone, except some bandage wrap

later---

all of it gone, except maybe one or two bandaids, tops.

But thats me, I dont really take pain pills unless IM DYING, cuts and scrapes and spider bites and all the other things that come along with this, I just shake off.

Dont be like me though, you might die.

Blue Jay
12-23-2004, 09:54
Dont be like me though, you might die.

That is very funny, mainly because it's universal for almost everyone.

MOWGLI
12-23-2004, 10:56
...mainly because it's universal for almost everyone.

That's even funnier. :D

Ridge
12-23-2004, 17:20
was this a gun to be used in case the injuries were just a little too serious...ha..ha

hikerjohnd
02-13-2005, 22:52
My kit weighs in at 7.6 ounces, but that is first aid and grooming. They were too small to put in seperate pouches... :cool:

RITBlake
02-14-2005, 00:12
over 2 lbs??? unless you brought along a 185 lb EMT along w/ you I can't see a med kit weighing that much. Maybe if you brought one of those 'fire blankets' from 9th grade chem lab?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2005, 00:14
*** is a first aid kit? Something like Leki poles and water filters?

wacocelt
02-14-2005, 00:22
*** is a first aid kit? Something like Leki poles and water filters?

It's when gearheads rub thier lekis together while holding thier filter between thier knees. So you get points for being close.

cutman11
02-15-2005, 01:20
Ok all you non MD hikers, here is the real deal..I'm a Surgeon. Ive hiked 800 mi. of the AT. The ONLY first aid items you need are......your brain, your bandana, your ibuprofen, and DUCT TAPE. Ive seen all manner of other stuff along the way....even crazies carrying needles, thread for sewing cuts, bandaids, snake bite crap, all the rest of the silliness you can find in walmarts and other so called hiking stores. Take it from me, Im a PROFESSIONAL. You need common sense, an understanding of first aid, and DUCT TAPE. Yes, it works for covering wounds, tying your poles or sticks on for splints, and if you're hurt bad enough to need more than that, all the other crap your carrying wont do much good to fix the broken neck or fractured skull....in that case, you will need HIKER HELP, not some silly first aid kit. A "bandaid" isnt gonna keep your brains from spilling out. So just be careful out there...and remember, we always say, ALL BLEEDING STOPS EVENTUALLY, one way or the other Happy Hiking , a pound or so lighter....PS You got medical questions, I can give u the answers...no fee either lol

LWOP
02-15-2005, 23:50
Under 2 oz unless you count the weight of your brain - which is the most important part of your first aid kit. Carry something to cover a blister, a few Vitamin I's, five or six alcohol wipes, and a pair of tweezers for removing ticks. Add a bandaid or two - preferably the Pebles and BamBam kind if they make you happy.
If you carry more than that you will probably be stocking hiker boxes along the way.
Other items would depend on your individual needs. I did carry an antihistamine because I tend to react badly to many insects and plants.

If you suffer a major injury out in the wilderness take comfort knowing that you are going to die doing something you love...
Lwop

Youngblood
02-16-2005, 09:39
Under 2 oz unless you count the weight of your brain - which is the most important part of your first aid kit. Carry something to cover a blister, a few Vitamin I's, five or six alcohol wipes, and a pair of tweezers for removing ticks. Add a bandaid or two - preferably the Pebles and BamBam kind if they make you happy.
If you carry more than that you will probably be stocking hiker boxes along the way.
Other items would depend on your individual needs. I did carry an antihistamine because I tend to react badly to many insects and plants.

If you suffer a major injury out in the wilderness take comfort knowing that you are going to die doing something you love...
Lwop
As you mentioned, there are some dependency on individual needs so you need to be a little careful telling someone what they do and don't need for a first aid kit. I recall giving out a few things to other hikers over the years; these I think I have done on occasion: like duct tape, anti-diaherra tablets, ibuprofin tablets, cortizone cream and gatoraide to help with severe constipation that was probably brought on by dehydration. If you never desperately needed these things, that's great... if you have and didn't have access to them, then that ain't so great.

Youngblood

fiddlehead
06-13-2005, 21:21
Duct tape and Advil.
ditto for me

(although i call my dental floss and sewing needle first aid too.)

Colter
06-13-2005, 22:52
..I'm a Surgeon. Ive hiked 800 mi. of the AT. The ONLY first aid items you need are......your brain, your bandana, your ibuprofen, and DUCT TAPE...You need common sense, an understanding of first aid, and DUCT TAPE.

I have tried to make this point many times but many people think it's irresponsible to not have a first aid kit that "prepares them for everything."

Your quote above pretty much says it all. Thanks. :clap

Heater
06-14-2005, 01:12
It's when gearheads rub thier lekis together while holding thier filter between thier knees. So you get points for being close.
You can find water that way too!

Ender
06-14-2005, 09:50
I used duct tape and moleskin during the early part of my hike, and ended up with just duct tape by the end (and I didn't even really use it then). So, way less than 2 oz for me.