PDA

View Full Version : Snake Mountain - Johnson County, TN

Tennessee Viking
11-14-2007, 01:49
Has anyone ever visited a peak in Johnson County TN called Snake Mountain? There is supposed to be rock cliff or outcropping that is called Fiddler Rock or Screaming Rock at the top. I heard it has a great panoramic view of the Iron Mountains, Mt Rogers, and the Blue Ridge.

I know its not part of the Cherokee Forest, and that parts of it are owned by Nature's Conservacy.

Does anyone know of any trails or roads that lead to the top? At all possible routes that dont trespass.

Possum Bill
11-15-2007, 22:55
I was also interested in this mountain as I've been wanting to do all the local county high points in east TN and SW VA. I sounds like majority of the property is privately owned, but the owners allow hikers if they call ahead of time. Here's a link to some info: http://www.cohp.org/tn/Johnson_1.html

I also know some people in the Johnson County Hiking Club, so if you wish I can give you their email address and they might be able to give you some more info. Just let me know.

Possum

Tennessee Viking
11-16-2007, 00:07
Thanks Possum send it my way. I just need to find out what the traditional route is. One of my hiking leaders in the TEHCC says its a crawl in some spots.

But is Snake Mountain the place they where you can find Fiddler Rock/Screaming Rock. All the sites that I found that tell the folklore of the rock say its on the Stone Mountains in between Mtn City and Laurel Bloomery;that would be Forge Mountain.

If it is the place, is the folklore about it true? Fiddler Rock just covered in snakes.

expenditioner
11-16-2007, 15:16
Another good link is:www.firelookout.net..just follow the likks to the county high points..will give you several map options.Was looking at snake mountain just a little while ago

Possum Bill
11-17-2007, 14:09
Ben,

PM me your email address, and I'll cc you in the email I send to my friends in Johnson County requesting this info.

Possum