PDA

View Full Version : One to two hour break: Max Patch? 19E? Damascus?

Bootstrap
11-14-2007, 08:03
My parents live in Berea, Kentucky, and I live in Durham, North Carolina. I like to take a 1-2 hour break along the way, and there are several reasonable ways to drive to Berea, taking I-40 through to Tennesee then heading north, or driving through Abington, which is close enough to Damascus, or driving through Boone. But I'm looking for a total of no more than 2 hours (my mother likes me to arrive by supper time!), including time to drive to the location and back from the normal route to Berea. I want a fix of beautiful scenery, a chance to stretch my legs not too much and have a nice picnic with whoever else is in the car.

When I drive on I-40, I often get off at Harmon Den, NC exit 7, drive up the mountain, and walk around for an hour or so on the way. Frankly, I never saw, until recently, how close this is to the AT. It would be quite practical to take the Harmon Den exit, drive 8 miles, and hike 0.8 miles to Max Patch.

According to the ATC map, there are two trails that come right down to I-40 near there, the Groundhog Creek Trail and the Rube Rock Trail, but I can't see any place to park near these trails, I think I'm stuck on I-40 at that point. Or is there an easy way to get to these trails? Are they interesting enough to be worth the effort?

I could drive up via Boone, of course, parking at 19E and hiking one way or the other, but that doesn't get me great views unless I hike further. Pleasant enough, though, we could go to the Apple House Shelter and I could tell the kids this is a real AT shelter. (I haven't hiked the other direction from 19E). Or I could drive to Carver's Gap for some really spectacular views, which is my first inclination if I go this way.

Suppose I drive to Berea via 81 South from Marion to Abington, or cross over to Damascus, how far out of my way do I need to go in order to get a really nice view somewhere? (I don't know this area beyond stopping at Hungry Mother State Park.)

Thoughts?

Jonathan

Gray Blazer
11-14-2007, 08:28
Mentioned wrong areaNever mind.....wrong interstate. You are very close to the AT if you are on 40. The AT crosses at Watertown Road right by the state line.

Bootstrap
11-14-2007, 08:45
You are very close to the AT if you are on 40. The AT crosses at Watertown Road right by the state line.

OK, if I get off at the Watertown Road exit, I could head up toward Davenport Gap or Peaked Knob. Which direction is going to be nicer? Or are there other trails around there that I should consider?

Jonathan

Midway Sam
11-14-2007, 08:52
If it were me, I'd exit at Harmon Den, drive and park at Max Patch, and walk the Max Patch Loop trail.

SGT Rock
11-14-2007, 09:01
Big Creek Ranger Station in the Smokies then walk up the Big Creek Trail.

Lone Wolf
11-14-2007, 09:36
drive to damascus, 10 miles off the interstate, park at the town park and walk on the creeper trail or hike south on the AT

Flush2wice
11-14-2007, 09:46
Another fun option is to take exit 20 as your heading west on I-40. Then take the 1st right on Cove Creek Rd. That becomes a gravel road and goes through the north end of the Smokies. It comes out at Waterville, or you can follow it all the way to Cosby. In TN it's hwy 32. It gives you access to Cataloochee and Big Creek as well as several trailheads and rivers. It's a great drive even if you don't stop. You'll need to remember that the road is closed from November to March but you can still get to Big Creek via the Waterville exit.
About 12 years ago there was a rockslide at the tunnels on I-40 that closed the road for months. They detoured traffic to go through Asheville, Hotsprings, Newport on hwy 70. It was a major nightmare with all that traffic. I was living in Knoxville and knew about this gravel road in the park. It was a breeze, and probably saved an hour from the official detour. Also I had I-40 to myself from Newport to Waterville. That was pretty cool.

Gray Blazer
11-14-2007, 10:41
Another fun option is to take exit 20 as your heading west on I-40. Then take the 1st right on Cove Creek Rd. That becomes a gravel road and goes through the north end of the Smokies. It comes out at Waterville, or you can follow it all the way to Cosby. In TN it's hwy 32. It gives you access to Cataloochee and Big Creek as well as several trailheads and rivers. It's a great drive even if you don't stop. You'll need to remember that the road is closed from November to March but you can still get to Big Creek via the Waterville exit.
About 12 years ago there was a rockslide at the tunnels on I-40 that closed the road for months. They detoured traffic to go through Asheville, Hotsprings, Newport on hwy 70. It was a major nightmare with all that traffic. I was living in Knoxville and knew about this gravel road in the park. It was a breeze, and probably saved an hour from the official detour. Also I had I-40 to myself from Newport to Waterville. That was pretty cool.

Have your chainsaw ready as one tree can block that road easily. You can hike up to the tower on Mt Sterling when you get to Sterling Gap.

Sly
11-14-2007, 13:02
Big Creek Ranger Station in the Smokies then walk up the Big Creek Trail.

Or the Chestnut Branch Trail to the AT

Groucho
11-14-2007, 15:04
You could go by way of Grayson H.S.P and walk from Massie Gap to Wilburn Ridge. Scenery doesn’t get much better and there are ponies too. I was surprised that it didn’t take as much additional time as I had thought. The following information is from my Streets and Trips and is set close to highway speed limits.

Durham to Berea (i-40, etc.): 469 mi 7:48

Durham to Grayson: 184 mi. 3:26
Grayson to Berea: 253 mi. 5:06 ; a total of 8:32 minutes

You could walk for 45 min have a picnic and return; easy terrain.

Let me know if you need more refined directions to Grayson. The route is I-40, 421, I-77, 21, 93, 16, 58.

Bare Bear
11-16-2007, 11:45
Do not leave a vehicle at 19E, many have been trashed there. Culver Gap is better and the hike up that ridge is spectacular.......

Tennessee Viking
11-16-2007, 14:29
An hour or two hike north around 19E, you really only have High Point. You have to got to Elk River Falls and connect to the AT for some great waterfall and river hikes South you can probably get up to Doll Flats. Great view of Hump Mtn there, and along the way up a number of vistas overlooking the town into NC.

You would probably have a better time visiting the Dennis Cove or Hampton Blue Blaze. Its short, and easy. Except for the rock stairs. Visit Laurel Falls and the gorge. Or on top of Roan at Carvers Gap, you can probably hike up to Grassy Ridge and back. Then Roan High Knob shelter, the highest and one of the most historic shelters on trail.

But coming through Boone, you might want to take the parkway to Beacone Heights at Grandfather Mountian. You can hike the MST. Its a very accessible trail at that point.

Max Patch has a couple loops, combining the AT, forest road, and connecting side trails. The forest trails in Harmon Den next to I40 are not accessible from the interstate. They lead to bluffs or old AT routes that are now blocked off by the interstate. A couple of them led to seasonal waterfalls. I believe they can accessed from near Max Patch, and then another on a steep forest road at the Harmon Den picnic area

But if you go to ranger station near Davenport Gap, and connect to the BMT and the AT going into the Smokies.

You can also try the Cumberland Trail. The northern terminus can be access from the KY side of the park. I cant remember where it comes around I40. But this is still an uncomplete trail, and is still considered roadside in some parts.

Tennessee Viking
11-16-2007, 14:36
You can also try the Cumberland Trail. The northern terminus can be access from the KY side of the park. I cant remember where it comes around I40. But this is still an uncomplete trail, and is still considered roadside in some parts.
I mean I75

Bootstrap
11-19-2007, 21:16
Many thanks for all the info on this thread. I'll be checking all of these out over the next few years.

I'm very aware that we're doing this during hunting season. Any particular precautions in the following places? Wear Blaze Orange?

- Max Patch
- 19E to Doll Flats
- Davenport Gap
- Dennis Cove
- Hampton Blue Blaze

Would it be smarter to do Grandfather Mountain or Carver's Gap at this time of year?

Thanks!

Jonathan