PDA

View Full Version : NC Section hike and Boy Scouts

unl1988
11-14-2007, 12:35
Folks,

I am going to be taking about 12 of my senior boy scouts (no anti-scouting comments, please) for a weekend section hike on the AT. A good weekend for them is about 25 miles. The general plan is to get there friday afternoon, hike a while, hit a shelter; hike 10-13 miles on SAT; get up on SUN and have a 5 or so mile hike then hit a road intersection or pick up point. We did this last year at this time and the boys really got into it, I want to keep them interested in the outdoors and hiking on the AT.

I really want them to go over Max Patch because it is such a nice area, but the only place that I can see parking is at Hot Springs and I don't see another intersection past there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a section to hike? Requirements would be good parking/road access on either end to facilitate picking up.

Thanks,

UNL

Flush2wice
11-14-2007, 12:54
Iron Mountain Gap to HWY 19E is about 25 miles. Day 1 to Clyde Smith Shelter is 6 miles, day 2 to Overmountain Shelter is 11 miles, day 3 to 19E is 8 miles. Contact Mountain Harbor B&B (http://www.mountainharbour.net/) for parking at 19E. It's a better stretch than Max Patch.

Winding Stair gap to NOC is good too.

MOWGLI
11-14-2007, 13:01
I-40 to Hot Springs is 34 miles and will take them over Max Patch. You can probably arrange to leave a car at Standing Bear Farm. This will add 9 miles to your usual "good weekend", but will definitely challenge the boys. The terrain is not too bad after you reach the summit of Snowbird Mountain, which is on day 1.

Marta
11-14-2007, 13:18
Is this winter, or summer? If during the short-day part of the year, you might just want to go from Max Patch to Hot Springs. If during the long-day part of the year, I-40 to Hot Springs, as Mowgli said.

unl1988
11-14-2007, 14:21
Last year we hiked in December, 1st full weekend in December. Are there any water challenges? Shortages due to drought? frozen sources?

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 14:25
I-40 to Hot Springs is 34 miles and will take them over Max Patch. You can probably arrange to leave a car at Standing Bear Farm. This will add 9 miles to your usual "good weekend", but will definitely challenge the boys. The terrain is not too bad after you reach the summit of Snowbird Mountain, which is on day 1.

I enjoy that stretch of trail! Either SOBO or NOBO....it's fun! :banana

Midway Sam
11-14-2007, 15:50

And Curtis at Standing Bear is VERY "Scout friendly". He is well versed in the merit badge system and can facilitate scouts in earning around 15 different merit badges through his services and the services of his contacts in the area.