PDA

View Full Version : Microzoid

NakedSasquatch
11-14-2007, 12:39
I'm considering buying a microzoid for my thru and wanted to see if anyone had experience using one. Preferrably for an extended period of time in AT like weather conditions. I'm mostly concerned about the ease of set-up and condensation rate. Any comments?

Starting out with no gear has turned out to be the headache of the century. There are SO MANY tents. Whenever I look at different ones its either like comparing orages to apples or apples to apples, either way its pretty confusing and aggravating. Is there any way to sort out all of this?

wrongway_08
11-14-2007, 13:35
I have only used mine 2 nights, it sets up fast & easy.
- enough cover to store your gear outside the tent with out problems. You can also toss the pack at your feet and use it as a foot rest while sleeping.

- strong tent, good ventilation, even with the rain cover on.

- Look under the for sale section, I have mine on there. decided to go with a tarp tent because of the Jam2 pack, wanted a tent without poles.
I am selling mine with the MSR ground sheet also, it'll save you about $45.00 total - including shipping.

Deb
11-14-2007, 13:52
Minimum weight is advertised as 2 lbs. 5 oz., very light.
However, only 26 inches at the peak.

NakedSasquatch
11-14-2007, 14:43
I'm definitly looking at your tent, wrongway, but why make a quick decision when I can agonize? soooo much to consider...

wrongway_08
11-14-2007, 15:18
No problem, take your time.

Fahrenheit
11-16-2007, 00:05
This is a good tent and it has kept me dry in some very wet nights. Unfortunately at 6 ft tall its just to small for me. I feel very claustrophobic in it also as I can't sit up in it, so I use it as a back-up tent or if I'm taking smaller friend with me. So if you aren't too tall, I'd say 5'10 and under, and don't get claustrophobic I would say go for it.

rafe
11-16-2007, 01:04
I'm not a large person and am used to small tents (eg. Eureka Gossamer.) But when I set up and crawled into a Microzoid at my local REI, it felt too small even for me. Just my $0.02.

Dirtygaiters
11-23-2007, 15:34
I'm considering buying a microzoid for my thru and wanted to see if anyone had experience using one. Preferrably for an extended period of time in AT like weather conditions. I'm mostly concerned about the ease of set-up and condensation rate. Any comments?

Starting out with no gear has turned out to be the headache of the century. There are SO MANY tents. Whenever I look at different ones its either like comparing orages to apples or apples to apples, either way its pretty confusing and aggravating. Is there any way to sort out all of this?

NakedSasquatch, in answer to your question, I've never used the Microzoid, but I own an MSR tent and I've used the TNF Tadpole, which is a similar style tent to the Zoid. Basically, this style of tent is perfectly fine in the rain, perfectly fine to sleep in. But if you want to live in it: for instance it's been raining all day and you want to take an off day or you want to make camp a little early one day...then this type of tent is uncomfortable to live in because you can't sit up in them.

I was a little confused on a deeper point...if you don't own a tent, then is it safe to assume that you don't have much backpacking experience? And if you don't have a lot of backpacking experience, then why do you think you want to complete a thru of the AT? Maybe that's just me (and I'll be the last person to tell you that you shouldn't plan a thru!) but it seems like a logical problem to be both a newbie backpacker and planning a 2000 mile thru hike.

gearfreak
11-23-2007, 15:44
More people than not have set off and completed this journey with little to no backpacking experience. Read "Walking the Appalachian Trail" by Larry Luxenberg for some insight as to how diverse this thru-hiker group is (as well as plenty of great history).:cool:

Kirby
11-23-2007, 18:26
More people than not have set off and completed this journey with little to no backpacking experience. Read "Walking the Appalachian Trail" by Larry Luxenberg for some insight as to how diverse this thru-hiker group is (as well as plenty of great history).:cool:

I own that book, it is a nice read, some parts are fascinating, like the chapter about the guy whop parachuted to the summit of Springer Mountain to start his thru hike.:o

Kirby

NakedSasquatch
11-27-2007, 12:47
I'll have to check out that book as well. You are right though, Dirty. I have little to no backpacking experience. Emphasis on the no. However, it is always something I have wanted to get into and this thru seems to be the answer to my general disenchantment with "civilized" American lifestyles. It will be a test for me... a sort of deprogramming. If I exist in the woods and no one is around to hear me, what will I have to say?

So yea, we will see how it goes, but I am pretty sure that I will finish if for no other reason than I am too stubborn to quit. :)

brit4jesus
12-02-2007, 23:11
read my quote at the bottom .... yeah thats pretty much all i have to say on the no exsperience subject
good luck sasquatch