PDA

View Full Version : Paid Work on The A.T

Digger'02
11-14-2007, 14:59
Hey Everyone, I wanted to let the hiking community know about the paid positions avaliable through the Deep South Region of the ATC. We will be hiring 1 caretaker, 2 GSMNP ridge runners, and 6 crew leaders/camp coordinators in 2008.

Thats alot of jobs and we do alot of work keeping the trail open and safe for a world of AT lovers.

Questions? let me know!!

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 15:01
Nevermind...I answered my own question....sorry

Sly
11-14-2007, 16:05
Where do you apply?

Digger'02
11-14-2007, 16:09
appalachiantrail.org

the old job announcments should still be up, but they will still be ok to fill out for 08 if you want to get a jump, the dates will probably change slightly. The new ones (with '08 dates) will be up soon.

Sly
11-14-2007, 16:15
I found the seasonal job page for 2007 (which was obviously closed) but there was nothing to fill out.

A-Train
11-14-2007, 16:40
I highly recommend a seasonal job on the trail. I was a ridgerunner in NJ in 05' and it was a fantastic way to spend the summer. Pay is OK, and a gas stipend included. You're hiking 5 days a week and camping out 4 nights, meeting and chatting with thru-hikers and sectioners and day hikers. A lot of alone/down time which gave me a great opportunity to read. I was lucky to have a great support staff in Jersey-great park rangers, great trail conference staff and good fellow ridgerunners. Jersey has a great perk too in that they provide a ridgerunner house for the summer for your off days. It can get a little monotonous hiking the same sections but I varied it with a lot of side trails. It's not very supervised so you have to be self motivated.

If anyone has questions about this job feel free to PM or email me. I'm always happy to share my experience with others

Digger'02
11-14-2007, 17:08
well they just took the 07's down to put the 08's up (job applocations that is) so look for them soon.

If anyone has any experience working with the ATC or clubs, how did it work out?

Digger'02
11-14-2007, 17:13
and A-Train, thanks! I'm glad you had a good time. there is also a Georgia RR that opperated on ablut 70 miles of trail

Sly
11-14-2007, 17:24
I tried again, same stuff. I'll check later, I want to be 1st in line! :)

Kirby
11-14-2007, 18:26
If it helps, I am yet to meet a rude rudgerunner, the three riderunners I have met all were well informed and very polite.

Kirby

max patch
11-14-2007, 18:37
If it helps, I am yet to meet a rude rudgerunner, the three riderunners I have met all were well informed and very polite.

Kirby

The one at Springer maybe 3 years (NOT the one that was there this year) ago...whew!...really needed to get into town for some R&R. Witnessed him just really go overboard late in the season when someones kid accidentally littered a few peanut shells on the ground near the shelter. Had to see it to believe it.

Sly
11-14-2007, 18:42
The one at Springer maybe 3 years (NOT the one that was there this year) ago...whew!...really needed to get into town for some R&R. Witnessed him just really go overboard late in the season when someones kid accidentally littered a few peanut shells on the ground near the shelter. Had to see it to believe it.

I imagine the RR in GA has their hands full but, peanuts shells? Geez.

Kirby
11-14-2007, 18:52
When does the Springer Mountain riderunner start each year? When does he/she end for the season?

Kirby

Digger'02
11-16-2007, 16:35
the position is based around peak thru-hiker season, but the dates are not set yet. The position is thru the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club with support from the ATC.

DuctTape
11-16-2007, 20:37
A caretaker in the south? Where?

veteran
11-17-2007, 12:10
The PATC has openings for caretakers at the Blackburn Trail Center.

http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=454&Itemid=149

Panzer1
11-17-2007, 12:38

How do you "accidentally" drop empty peanut shells on the ground??

Panzer

Lone Wolf
11-17-2007, 13:02
i eat peanuts as i walk and toss the shells in the under brush

weary
11-17-2007, 13:13
As do I.

weary
11-17-2007, 13:18
The Maine Appalachian Trail Club hires five caretakers/ridgerunners each year, and uses a combination of volunteers and the paid Maine Conservation Corps for heavy duty trail maintenance chores.

Details are usually posted on the MATC website, www.matc.org

max patch
11-17-2007, 13:18
How do you "accidentally" drop empty peanut shells on the ground??

Panzer

They had a ziplock of peanuts and an empty ziplock as a trash bag. Some they missed. Some fell out. The kid looked like he was 3rd grade or so. Making the point once would have been understandable. The RR went waaaay beyond that point.

Skidsteer
11-17-2007, 14:42

As do I.

It's OK.

Peanuts and GA sort of go together.

Sly
11-17-2007, 14:51
The Maine Appalachian Trail Club hires five caretakers/ridgerunners each year, and uses a combination of volunteers and the paid Maine Conservation Corps for heavy duty trail maintenance chores.

Details are usually posted on the MATC website, www.matc.org (http://www.matc.org)

I saw once where Bigelow Mt. needed a paid caretaker job. That would be sweet!

weary
11-17-2007, 15:17
I saw once where Bigelow Mt. needed a paid caretaker job. That would be sweet!
Two Caretakers work each summer on Bigelow. Generally one stays at Horns Pond. And one makes trips periodic trips to the Avery Col campsite, though not necessarily the same person every day.

Other Maine ridgerunners are stationed at Piazza Rock near Saddleback, Gulf Hagas, and Abol bridge.

Weary

Sly
11-17-2007, 15:20
Two Caretakers work each summer on Bigelow. Generally one stays at Horns Pond. And one makes trips periodic trips to the Avery Col campsite, though not necessarily the same person every day.

Other Maine ridgerunners are stationed at Piazza Rock near Saddleback, Gulf Hagas, and Abol bridge.

Weary

All choice spots. I doubt they have much of a problem filling the positions.

Kirby
11-17-2007, 16:41
All the ridgerunners I met in Maine this summer were nice and well educated about the trail. Although one lied to me about the water, I was not happy about that. One of them I knew already, and the other apparently had not been in baxter all season even though he was near Abol frequently, he was stationed at Gulf Hagus.

Kirby

Sly
11-17-2007, 17:08
Lied to you about the ater how?

Kirby
11-17-2007, 20:38
Lied to you about the ater how?

He told me that there was no water at the Horns Pond lean to, but .3 up the trail there was water, well, there was no water, and i really needed it. Not that big of an issue, my friend gave me some of his, just was upset I was told there was water when, from what I saw, there was none.

Ohh well,
Kirby

weary
11-17-2007, 21:11
He told me that there was no water at the Horns Pond lean to, but .3 up the trail there was water, well, there was no water, and i really needed it. Not that big of an issue, my friend gave me some of his, just was upset I was told there was water when, from what I saw, there was none.
Ohh well,
Kirby
I really doubt if Horns Pond was totally dry. There is a nice spring right in the middle of the overnight shelter and camping area -- though I haven't used it since I found where some jerk had ***** in it 35 years ago. I suspect it has cleaned itself over the years.

Other than the pond itself, the spring is the only sure source of water early in the season.

There is a seasonal spring at Avery col, and a usually reliable spring a third of a mile up the trail. It sounds to me as it there may have been a bit of miscommunication , rather than a "lie". Kirby.

Weary

Kirby
11-17-2007, 21:16
..It sounds to me as it there may have been a bit of miscommunication , rather than a "lie". Kirby.Weary

That's a better way to phrase it, nice guy otherwise, well educated about the vicinity.

Kirby

Digger'02
11-19-2007, 11:24
There are two Deep South Caretakers, one at Springer and another at Fontana. The Fontana CT gets to stay at the village. As for Ridge Runners, there are three, one Georgia and Two Smokies.

The key is not finding someone to fill the spot-but filling it with someone who is honest, capable and can live on the trail...sounds great to me, but some folks bite off more than they can chew..

A-Train
11-19-2007, 14:09
There are two Deep South Caretakers, one at Springer and another at Fontana. The Fontana CT gets to stay at the village. As for Ridge Runners, there are three, one Georgia and Two Smokies.

The key is not finding someone to fill the spot-but filling it with someone who is honest, capable and can live on the trail...sounds great to me, but some folks bite off more than they can chew..

Digger, when does the southern ridgerunner season span from?

soshield
11-19-2007, 15:14
whats the starting pay for GSMNP ridge runners?

Digger'02
11-19-2007, 16:47
RR's usually start off at 9.50/hr, the Ga Ridge Runner goes from March to October roughly

These are all estimates as programs change from time to time

Miss Janet
11-20-2007, 22:33
What are the caretaker positions at the work camps considered? I met a lady working at the Konarock work center one year and it was a lot like my house!

I may need to be job hunting by spring if my plans don't happen!!!

Digger'02
12-05-2007, 16:35
Hey guys and gals, the 2008 Ridge Runner and Trail Crew applications are up at

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.836459/

Sorry to get everyone excited early but we are ready for your applications so if you are interested get 'er done!

Thanks and let me know if you have Q's

Take a Hike!

Digger'02
12-07-2007, 12:20
....and the voluntere applications are up...FYI. Enjoeigh!