PDA

View Full Version : FYI - Store closing in Reliance 3/2008

jbwood5
11-14-2007, 17:59
Last week, I stopped at the Texaco station/convienence store in Reliance. The lady running the store mentioned that the owners (Webb) will be closing the store for good in March 2008.

This will be a loss for BMT hikers since it is one of few re-supply (although minimal) stores right on the trail. I found it to be a good place to pick up supplies when I did my 11 day section hike last Spring.

I will certainly miss this "old style" general store. It also used to have a Post Office inside but the USPS pulled out of town some time back.

Just John

SGT Rock
11-14-2007, 18:03
Thanks for that. It was open when I went through last week. A great alternative is up near the JMT treail head - 0.6 miles up the road from the trail is a good country store.

Hikerhead
11-14-2007, 21:58
I enjoyed stopping there. Maybe they'll sell it to someone who will continue to run a store out of it.

EMAN
04-02-2008, 20:56
An update on this.
I am hiking a scetion of the BMT the end of April from Deal's Gap area back to Hiwassee area.
I am searching for a possible shuttle from Hiwassee to Deal's. I called Webbs to see if they were interested or could help in some way.
Mr. Webb himself called and did express a desire to help out. He mentioned nothing about closing, in fact saying that they had no water (I assume he's talking about boating/rafting water) and either he or one of the two boys who worked for him would probably be able to shuttle us.
I will say that this doesn't necessarily mean that he is closing, just that he didn't say anything about it.
He was unsure as to where Deal's Gap was at and was going to check a map and call me back. We'll see what he says.

CBSSTony
04-05-2008, 13:14
I was doing a section hike from the store to Hwy 68, and waited 45 min or so, and people kept going in and out of the building. I finally went and knocked on the window and a woman came to the glass and informed me that the store was closed for the season. This was Feb of 2008. Wish I had read this before hoping to top off supplies at this store. didn't need the junk food anyway.

Cuffs
04-05-2008, 13:37
I just called them (like a minute ago) and the lady stated they were closed Dec, Jan & Feb, but are now open 7 days a week!!!

SGT Rock
04-13-2008, 14:01
I just called them (like a minute ago) and the lady stated they were closed Dec, Jan & Feb, but are now open 7 days a week!!!
Are you talking about Webb Brothers?

Cuffs
04-14-2008, 11:39
Yes, Webb!

SGT Rock
04-14-2008, 11:44
Cool, thanks for that update

jbwood5
05-06-2008, 09:49
Good to hear that they are re-opening. Let's hope it remains open.
Thanks for the update.

Just John