PDA

View Full Version : Pack size

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 20:43
I have been looking at packs for a few months and I haven't even asked what a general size for a pack would be. I am just looking for a few suggestions and examples of what sizes people use.;)

ezdoesit
11-14-2007, 20:52
Jarhead16,
You need to get all your gear together in stuff sacks put it in a trash bag and bring it to the outfitters with you then you will know what size pack you need.
By stuff sacks I mean you need to put all your gear together as if you were packing your pack to go for an over night.I hope this helps you out.:)

Remember it's mind over matter
if you don't mind it doesn't matter.

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 20:56
Ok. That sounds like a good idea, but what size is your pack? So I'll kinda know what size to start with.

Cuffs
11-14-2007, 20:59
3000 to 4500 ci

trippedoutnatureboy
11-14-2007, 21:01
I have a Mountainsmith Ghost Pack that is 3,000 cu inches and is very light and well made it weighs just 2lbs4oz and has gone thru months of field testing and no problems retail price $140.00usd. I also have a pack made by equinox called the katahdin weighing in at 26oz with 3,350 cu inches of interior room retail price $110.00usdthis pack boost a great reprieve with 2003 AT thru hikers and has also been to the summit of everest and back. To answer your question on size alone 3,000 to 3,500 cui is a good place to start that way you are forced to lighten your load by limiting available space and with this size pack being tried and true you will still be able to pack all that you need. These two packs get my approval and have logged many trail miles with me good luck with the pack search hope this helps

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 21:02
I use the Osprey Aether 60 which is about 4000 cubic inches....it's plenty big for me; however, Ezdoesit has a point. Finalize your gear, bag it, and then take it to an outfitter to get the right size for you. Just remember this....the bigger the pack, the more crap you'll want to carry!:D

Just Jim

Jarhead16
11-14-2007, 21:09
I like the GoLite Speed alot. It's only 3000, so it would keep me pretty minimalist and the weight is fantastic. Any thoughts?

Skidsteer
11-14-2007, 21:13
I like the GoLite Speed alot. It's only 3000, so it would keep me pretty minimalist and the weight is fantastic. Any thoughts?

Yep.

Find a 3000 cube container and see if you gear fits in it. Better yet, take your stuff to a local outfitter, find a 3000 cube pack and see if that works for you.

Same advice as above.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2007, 21:27
The Dinos share equipment - He-Dino's pack is an external frame (Kelty Trekker (http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?terms=trekker&id=193)) with 3900 ci inside and the ability to have bulky items strapped to frame. She-Dino's pack (REI Quick UL 45 - women's (http://www.rei.com/product/747517)) with 2750 ci. Back when She-Dino was hiking alone, her pack was similar to He-Dino's except it was about 4200 ci.

How do you choice the right size for you? You don't - your gear chooses the right size for you. Your pack has to be big enough to hold it all and comfy enough for you to carry it a long way. Pack's are not one size fits all

Pony
11-15-2007, 12:52
He-Dino's pack is an external frame (Kelty Trekker (http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?terms=trekker&id=193)) with 3900 ci inside and the ability to have bulky items strapped to frame.

How does he like it? I just got mine in the mail two days ago. My girlfriend suggested that I use her pack that she took to Europe. She said it ONLY weighed 85 lbs and she still had room. After further prodding she admitted that she sent over half of her things home (most of which was destroyed in transit) and the rest stayed at the hostel. She couldn't understand why I didn't want to do that. Then again she doesn't understand my homemade stove collection, or why I set up tents in the basement. Go figure.

taildragger
11-15-2007, 13:29
I have been looking at packs for a few months and I haven't even asked what a general size for a pack would be. I am just looking for a few suggestions and examples of what sizes people use.;)

Packs seem to be the most fun to research and have that (Oh I want it!!!) effect. Get your gear first, don't end up like me. I bought a new 5400CI backpack that fit my old hiking style (2 man 3+ season tent, inflatible pad, synthetic bag etc...).

Also, I'd would really bite if the bag you bought turned out to be too small, or didn't feel right when loaded. Some people love the feel of a full suspension bag, other people will do anything to cut weight, and you've gotta figure out where you fit in that category.

Lastly, use the search feature, questions like this have been asked numerous times