PDA

View Full Version : thru-boots! bad ankles, big heart ;)

rob123ufl
11-14-2007, 22:15
So I'm going NOBO March '08. I am looking to start breaking in some new boots right now. The boots i currently own, Vasque's Wasatch, have given me text-book blisters after some long days on the Roan section(looked like i had leprocy!), mainly on the back of my heel and outside of my big toe. I have a high volume foot, very wide and tall, but fairly short for its dimensions (size 11.5). Any ideas of good boots to use?

I tried on the Vasque Breeze hikers, but i dont know if using just a "hiking" boot will suffice for an actual "backpacker", but than again I know that some people do it in trail runners. Also i dont know that the boots are completely waterproof. My main concerns are weather resistence, boot durability and ANKLE SUPPORT! I have TERRIBLE ankles. Anyways, let me know!

Skidsteer
11-14-2007, 23:56
So I'm going NOBO March '08. I am looking to start breaking in some new boots right now. The boots i currently own, Vasque's Wasatch, have given me text-book blisters after some long days on the Roan section(looked like i had leprocy!), mainly on the back of my heel and outside of my big toe. I have a high volume foot, very wide and tall, but fairly short for its dimensions (size 11.5). Any ideas of good boots to use?

I tried on the Vasque Breeze hikers, but i dont know if using just a "hiking" boot will suffice for an actual "backpacker", but than again I know that some people do it in trail runners. Also i dont know that the boots are completely waterproof. My main concerns are weather resistence, boot durability and ANKLE SUPPORT! I have TERRIBLE ankles. Anyways, let me know!

Try the trail runners on a dayhike and you might be surprised.

I have weak ankles as well but I don't think boots give much of an advantage.

Waterproofness? Any footwear that keeps water out will do also do a jamb up job of keeping water in.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 01:15
I have some ortho - alignment problems that necessitate at least mid-top boots on bad terrain. I've had good luck fitting the Hi-Tec V-lite fasthike Mid boot (http://www.hi-tec.com/category.php?styleId=8341) to the varying size of my foot and ankle (they sometimes swell a lot) It does not come in a wide width

ScottP
11-15-2007, 01:58
You have a long time until march. Try strengthening your ankles.

Roots
11-15-2007, 08:41
If a boot is the way you go, be patient with the ankles. I have a pair of Vasque Breezes that I wear and in the beginning the ankles were quite a bit soar. Now the have really strenghened. I wear boots because of bad feet, but if I could I would definitely wear trail runners. I would suggest trying both to see what you think. :)

dessertrat
11-15-2007, 09:32
Have you seen a podiatrist? I ask because usually "terrible ankles" means overpronation or oversupination, and a corrective orthotic insert might do far more good than boots with a lot of leather around the ankles.

oops56
11-15-2007, 09:59
Just get an old car tire make some flip flops:)

Thoughtful Owl
11-15-2007, 11:30
I usually wear sock liners under my socks and have yet to get a blister even when breaking in a new pair of boots. Ladies knee high stocking (I usually purchase white in color) are very inexpensive, 2 pair for $1. With the sock liners my sock is rubbing against the liner and not my foot.

cheeks
11-15-2007, 22:23
Check out the L.L. Bean Cresta all-leather hiking boots. They almost lasted me the entire thruhike (had to get new ones in Caratunk). I also have a shorter, high volume wider foot. They offer their boots in EE width in addition to the standard D. I got precisely 2 blisters on my feet the entire 2175 miles, both on the same day when it rained all day long. When I changed out to the new set of Cresta's in Maine, I was expecting to have a bad time because they weren't broken in, but it was fine and I never did get a blister because of the new boots, either.

Also: don't read too much into waterproofness. The Crestas are full goretex, but believe me, if it rains for more than 2 hours your feet are getting soaked. Also: people will try to talk you into trailrunners.. someone in this thread even tried to talk you into flip-flops made from old tires, LOL. People get really weird about the topic for some reason, that and poles and 'hydration systems'. One thing's for sure: it doesn't matter what you wear on your feet it's that heart of yours that gets you to Maine hehe

Blissful
11-15-2007, 22:37
I messed up my ankle severely two years before my hike. Did boots the first half of the hike and ended up with more problems (blisters, calf problem). Used trail runners the second half of the hike and loved them (I used Brooks that helps with pronation, thus stabilizing my foot). Have your gait checked out at a running shop to see if you pronate. And do exercises to strenthen your ankles. It's a misnomer that boots support your ankles, You will twist them just as much. Boots are also clumsy. I also found using hiking poles averted many ankle twists.

Deadeye
11-15-2007, 22:43
I like my Hi-Tec light hikers. I usually prefer trail runners, but whenever I wear these, I like 'em.

Someone already alluded to the inverse-weather-resistance-corollary: no matter what, any boot or shoe will be soaked after hiking in all-day rain with running water down the center of the trail. Running shoes will be wet in 5 minutes, but will dry almost as quickly. Boots may take all day, or even more, to wet through, but will take just as long to dry out. Choose your poison!

Spirit Walker
11-15-2007, 23:11
Try Lowa Renegades. They have no break in problems and are good for wide feet.

Bigby 2007
11-19-2007, 01:56
I'll add my $.02, even though the only way to know if footwear works for you is to try it on!

I used a pair of Asolo 520 full leather boots for the entire AT. For my feet, they are ridiculously comfortable, and they are extremely durable and high quality. Big bucks, yes, but I wound up saving big over people who bought 3 or more pairs of cheaper shoes!

Good luck
Bigby

greentick
11-19-2007, 02:11
I'm with Blissful, hiking poles for me.

I have similar feet to yours - wide foot, high arches, chopped off square (my 2nd 3rd and 4th toes are the same length). My wife loves my good looks:rolleyes: but says my feet are just plain ugly as in they put the UG! in ugly. Anyhow, I currently use Dunham nimble xt which is now owned by New Balance so lots of width options. All synthetic so they breath and dry fast. Abrasion resistant material around the toe and heel. I did add aftermarket insoles as the originals kept creeping out the back.

Proudfoot
11-19-2007, 03:04
I usually wear sock liners under my socks and have yet to get a blister even when breaking in a new pair of boots. Ladies knee high stocking (I usually purchase white in color) are very inexpensive, 2 pair for $1. With the sock liners my sock is rubbing against the liner and not my foot.

If the shoe fits....Seriously, if there is a pressure point you are going to get a blister, stockings or not. I made it thru basic training down south (read soggy) with out one blister. You must first make sure you are putting your foot in the boot properly...Sit down, put the boot on with loose laces, then extend your leg and kick the groud with your heel, then keeping your foot in that position, pull laces to you firmly, but too tight and no blood gets to your feet. Make sure you use plenty of foot powder to kept your toes dry, and rub it in, this stimulates blood flow to the outer part of your foot. and stockings are junk, get good boot liners for cheap, try target or something, stockings are too thin to do any real good except to put a nice finish on your freshly shined boots. Change your socks a lot, especially in cold weather, damp socks are cold socks and they tend to rub your wet clammy feet more also. Lt. Dan in Forest Gump is dead on.

Proudfoot
11-19-2007, 03:07
Shoe Stretchers also work to help break in/loosen up tight spots in your boots.

Mother's Finest
11-19-2007, 14:48
Have you seen a podiatrist? I ask because usually "terrible ankles" means overpronation or oversupination, and a corrective orthotic insert might do far more good than boots with a lot of leather around the ankles.

dessertrat is on target

ankle issues are almost always related to the foot not being able to properly support the body. This is solved by wearing a proper orthotic device.

www.solesupports.com (http://www.solesupports.com) to find a practicioner in your area to make the highest quality orthotic on the market today. it is made for your body weight (or body weight + pack weight), foot flexibility and lifestyle.

as to the shoe or boot you put it in, it is what works for you. Any shoe or boot should fit snugly in the heel, and your forefoot should be nice and free, no pressure on your toes.

peace
mf

Jan LiteShoe
11-19-2007, 15:06

I second this recommendation.
A good pair of custom-made inserts,fitted by a podiatrist (especially one interested in a sport like running, etc) is a highly underrated piece of gear for a 2000-mile journey that depends on mere flesh-and-bone feet.
It's one I don't hear talked about much. Folks must have better feet than me. :)

The inserts won't be cheap - a couple of hundred bucks - but your feet are your magic carpet to Katahdin. Your foot conformation also impacts your overall joint health, even at age 20. A good heel cup can stabilize your entire foot and keep it from "growing a size" on the trail.

Here's a shoe or boot-fitting tip. Remove the cheap, cardboardy inserts of a prospective pair of boots, and stand on them with your pack on. Where you "smush" over the edges is where you're going to get blisters.

MOWGLI
11-19-2007, 15:19
Rob,

You've got some really good advice here. I'm curious about your "terrible ankles" comment. You are apparently only 20 years old. Did you sustain an injury?

I would add to the good recommendations above that you do all can to lose any extra pounds you might have between now and the start of your hike. That would include both on your body and in your pack. You should also give serious consideration to using trekking poles, if you don't already. They can save you from rolling your ankle.

Good luck.

Roots
11-19-2007, 16:06
These guys and they're experience it why I love Whiteblaze!!!:sun Anyway, I was going to add to my above thread by saying that adding poles to your hikes can defiinitely save you. My husband had ACL surgery about 15 yrs ago and because of poles, he can hike with a lot more ease. I think every thing that everyone has said is very true. Good luck!

Pootz
11-19-2007, 16:24
Once I switched to Brooks Trail Runners on my 07 thru hike and I had 0 blisters.

I started in Montrail XCR low cut gor tex hiking shoes and they tore my feet up. I wore them for 150 miles, by fontana Dam I had had enough. I went through 4 pair of brooks but it was worth it. They are light weight and dry pretty fast. The gor tex shoes did not keep out the water, it runs down your legs and get in anyway.

Christopher Robin
12-07-2007, 17:53
My Vasque boots are 10yrs old @ this year was the first time I a blister. Time for a new pair of Vasque, one thing I can say I all ways wear liners @ it does prevent your foot from sore foot. I don't like Gortex it makes my foot perspire, so I use Sno -Seal Brand leather prtection after cleaing my boots. I put 3 layers 1 at a time leting each layer dry for a few days, and it works on leather, suade and man mide materiels.

the_iceman
12-10-2007, 17:03
I used these on my 07 Thru-hike. I sized up about 1 size and used orthotic inserts and Spenco heel lifts which my Podiatrist said were fine. The important thing is to have both feet the same. Along the trail the Spenco’s began to compress so I added Dr. Shoals.

I got my first blister on the outside of my left heel coming into the NOC. This blister would haunt me all the way to Maine. By the end of the trip I came to the conclusion this was caused by a poorly fitted and trimmed orthotic that shifted occasionally rather than the boot.

I hiked with extra heavy EMS merino wool socks and sock liners. The first pair of boots lasted me through the Shenandoahs but I could not find a replacement of any kind in my size in Front Royal because the outfitter has a very limited selection. This left me walking all the way to Harper’s Ferry until I could find boots.

I had wanted to try Garmonds because everyone who had them loved them but the outfitter only had the Vasgue Breeze in my size. By the time I got there I had holes in both toes, holes on the side of both boots, the heels were completely worn off (even through the plastic shock plate) on the side and I was walking on the foam just under my foot. My heels were worn so lopsided that my big toes no longer touched the ground and my foot was rolling out to the side.

The new boots gave me no problems with blisters per se but they did not stand up well either. But the time I cleared the rocks of PA I had holes in both toes, the sides of the toes, and the fabric was torn on the sides of the heels. The outfitter vouched for me with Vasgue and they agreed to replace them but they did not have my size in stock. The shipped me a pair to Connecticut another 165 miles down the trail.

That gave me about 1,100 miles on the first pair (100 break-in and 1,000 trail) and under 500 on the second pair. I put the 3rd pair on in Connecticut and wore them to the end. These looked like the first pair when I finished. I had holes in the toes, the sides, the side of the heels, and the heels were worn off through down to the plastic shock plate.

I used JB weld and Epoxy to patch and hold together the first and last pair. I think this kept me from having to buy a fourth pair. I hiked with other hikers who used these boots as well and one hiker did the trek in only 2 pair with the first pair lasting all the way to Vermont. Another hiker was on his 5th pair when I was him last in NH.

Ask people about Garmonds.

DawnTreader
12-10-2007, 17:16
I've met more hikers that have swaped their boots for trail runners than I've met hikers willing to shed their whisperlites for alcohol stoves...
I for a fact have done both, and have felt free as a bird eversince..
I will hike in crocs before I ever put on another pair of hiking boots.... But you will have to find this out for yourself, on the trail..