11-14-2007, 23:02
Cotton, Silk, or ? and why?

Jim Adams
11-14-2007, 23:07
cotton...scrubs better than silk

geek

Tennessee Viking
11-14-2007, 23:08
I go with regular cotton bandanas during the summer time. I wear it around my neck to prevent sunburn and to wick sweat off.

take-a-knee
11-15-2007, 00:50
Cotton 'cause it soaks up sweat and if you use it as a potholder it won't melt.

Smile
11-15-2007, 00:52
IMHO, silk can actually get pretty hot compared to cotton, and is less durable as well.

Summit
11-15-2007, 07:41
I own and have used a couple of cotton ones, but have not used a bandana the last few years. But then, I avoid hiking during the hot months.

RockStar
11-15-2007, 12:14
Cheap Bandanas. This way you aren't heartbroken when it gets a hole in it or falls apart. Everytime I buy a "hiker to town" or mapdana I lose them or burn them. The Cheap one's come ina variety of colors. Try Hobby Lobby. They have a Plethora of bandanas for .99 sometimes .88 On the Hobby Lobby website there is usually a 40% off 1 item of your choosing coupon. Love that place!

mountain squid
11-15-2007, 13:30
Get a buff (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=328&compid=1) instead. More versatile (I think so anyway) ...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

buckowens
11-15-2007, 20:10
I used a "mapdana" until I left it hanging in a tree near Carter Gap shelters in August. I am planning on getting another as it is handy for reference and sweat wiping abilities. It can be had at: http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=78

Two Speed
11-15-2007, 20:24
Cotton, Silk, or ? and why?Cotton, 'cuz they're cheap.

FWIW if I'm ever found dead on the side of a trail and and you find a bandana sealed up in a zip loc in my pack

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OPEN THAT ZIP LOC UNLESS YOU'RE PROTECTED IN A FULL SELF-CONTAINED HAZMAT SUIT!

Trust me, that's gonna be one heinous bandana. :eek:

Alligator
11-15-2007, 21:01
One piece of found gear that stays put.

LIhikers
11-16-2007, 08:25
The bandana is the multitool of hiking and backpacking. It's got a thousand uses. I use cheap cotton ones.

Roots
11-16-2007, 09:23
Get a buff (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=328&compid=1) instead. More versatile (I think so anyway) ...

See you on the trail,
mt squid
I could not agree more!! I have 3 and LOVE them. I can use it for everything from a bandana, to a neck gaiter, to a koozie for my mug, and have even used them to wrap around my hands in unexpected cold. I HAVE NOT used them as a tube top!:D

gold bond
11-16-2007, 10:03
I could not agree more!! I have 3 and LOVE them. I can use it for everything from a bandana, to a neck gaiter, to a koozie for my mug, and have even used them to wrap around my hands in unexpected cold. I HAVE NOT used them as a tube top!:D

I have several as well. They work for just about anything! That is the way to go....IMHO.

Cookerhiker
11-16-2007, 12:16
I bring 3 - 1 expensive cotton and 2 cheap cotton. Expensive cotton? That's the AT bandana sold by the ATC (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9107&catid=searchresults&searchid=11199)- I don't mind paying the price. That one goes on my forehead to soak up sweat and prevent it from stinging my eyes and fogging my specs. Another is a designated snotrag, particularly necessary in windy cool & cold weather. The third is a backup and used as potholder, towel, and miscellaneous things.

Even though cotton clothes don't dry which is why we don't wear them, bandanas seem to dry rapidly - perhaps because they're thinner.

Summit
11-16-2007, 16:53
Another is a designated snotrag, particularly necessary in windy cool & cold weather.Gross! :eek: I can't fathom/deal with carrying around my snot!

Alternative:
1) Cock your head back so nostrils are pointed (aiming) straight out in front of you.
2) Close one nostril with a finger press.
3) Make sure no one you care about is standing within 10 feet in front of you. Enemies, you may think twice about warning! :D
3) Blow out as hard as you can.
4) Repeat process for the other nostril.

Works great! It's called "Blowing your nose indian style." Early American Indians did not have cleanex or hankies! :p :D

Cookerhiker
11-16-2007, 16:57
Gross! :eek: I can't fathom/deal with carrying around my snot!

Alternative:
1) Cock your head back so nostrils are pointed (aiming) straight out in front of you.
2) Close one nostril with a finger press.
3) Make sure no one you care about is standing within 10 feet in front of you. Enemies, you may think twice about warning! :D
3) Blow out as hard as you can.
4) Repeat process for the other nostril.

Works great! It's called "Blowing your nose indian style." Early American Indians did not have cleanex or hankies! :p :D

I'll try it - I've done some variation before.

But all's fair on the Trail. ;) When I mentioned to my thruhiker buddy that standards were different on the trail, his response was "Standards - what standards?"