PDA

View Full Version : Hikers Who Moon Train Face Crack Down

Pages : [1] 2

camojack
11-15-2007, 09:58
Hikers Who Moon Train Face Crack Down (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14602221/detail.html)
(Riders on train face crack. - "Camo")
Tradition Offensive To Many

MOUNT WASHINGTON, N.H. -- Officials are cracking down on hikers who drop their pants to moon passengers on the Mount Washington cog railway.

"Mooning the cog" is a long tradition for hikers, especially those completing the Appalachian Trail, which passes over the highest point in the northeast.

But the practice offends some, and on several weekends this fall some undercover officers took a ride on the train and stopped it when hikers gave them the salute.

Eight hikers are being charged with a federal offense, since they were on National Forest land. They need to pay a fine or appear in the U.S. District Court in Concord to contest the charge.

Phreak
11-15-2007, 10:01
I think public flogging would be a good punishment for such an immature act.

Freeleo
11-15-2007, 10:02
guess i will have to show them the sunshine next year:p

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 10:02
MOUNT WASHINGTON, N.H. -- Officials are cracking down on hikers who drop their pants to moon passengers on the Mount Washington cog railway.

"Mooning the cog" is a long tradition for hikers

Eight hikers are being charged with a federal offense, since they were on National Forest land.

it's no tradition. pay mofos pay! haha :banana

RockyBob
11-15-2007, 10:21
:sun Maybe they can hire Blackwater to enforce the no mooning law.

Footslogger
11-15-2007, 10:23
Catchy thread title ..."Crack Down" ! maybe it should be "Crack Up" !!

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 10:49
My take is that unless hikers are getting vulgar - I mean mooning in a manner that shows the anus or genitals - that this is simply a ridiculous waste of LEO time and tax dollars. I can flip on MTV and see way more skin than a proper moon should show.

Newb
11-15-2007, 10:55
OMG. What kind of busy body panty waste would be so offended at a some hikers mooning a train that they would complain to law enforcement?

What a waste of resources. Clogging the courts with mooners. I suppose they'll label them as sex offenders, too, since they exposed themselves in public?

Yo

emerald
11-15-2007, 10:55
I can flip on MTV and see way more skin than a proper moon should show.

When viewed in your own home, you can also flip MTV off!:-?

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 11:01
Lets not chase down the crazy guy that chased a female hiker off her dream to thru-hike the trail, or the thru-hikers that shi! all over the pavilian, ------ lets spend time chasing down mooners! STUPID ---- Dam worthless yuppies screwing up everything. They should just stay home and wash their Escalades.

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 11:02

If the stupid yuppie didnt overdue the Botox injections, they could just close their eyes :-?

emerald
11-15-2007, 11:04
I don't respond to off-topic bait.;)

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 11:04
Lets not chase down the crazy guy that chased a female hiker off her dream to thru-hike the trail, or the thru-hikers that shi! all over the pavilian, ------ lets spend time chasing down mooners! STUPID ---- Dam worthless yuppies screwing up everything. They should just stay home and wash their Escalades.

the female hiker took herself off the trail
the hiker that pooed in a pavilion was on private property
mooners are in a national forest and obviously there were MANY complaints. show your ass, pay the fine.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 11:06
If the stupid yuppie didnt overdue the Botox injections, they could just close their eyes :-?

so you like showing your bare butt to families? sick. plus you're just a sheeple trying to fit in.

taildragger
11-15-2007, 11:09

If you're riding the cog you can still flip the hikers off

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 11:13
so you like showing your bare butt to families? sick. plus you're just a sheeple trying to fit in.

Nope, I have no desire to do it but I have better stuff to do then to complain about the youngsters/myself/wife seeing a butt.

Outlaw
11-15-2007, 11:18

LW, I couldn't have said it better! :cool:

emerald
11-15-2007, 11:19
If you're riding the cog you can still flip the hikers off

I've never ridden it, probably never will, but I am a Cass Scenic Railroad enthusiast and I wouldn't express my displeasure in that manner.

Tin Man
11-15-2007, 11:19
Get your no mooning t-shirt here (http://www.zazzle.com/barbaratease/product/235478220481887248).

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 11:25
LW, I couldn't have said it better! :cool:

I'll say it again, I dont do it - have never done it and have no desire to do it. At the same time its just someones butt, look away for a second, if the site of a random butt is going to scar you/youngsters/wife/husband, you've got bigger problems - its just a butt.

Sly
11-15-2007, 11:26
The Trinity will be all over this. LW, you one of them? :p I wonder what Warren thinks? :D

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 11:27
I'll say it again, I dont do it - have never done it and have no desire to do it. At the same time its just someones butt, look away for a second, if the site of a random butt is going to scar you/youngsters/wife/husband, you've got bigger problems - its just a butt.

nope. it's wrong. against the law. end of story

Smile
11-15-2007, 11:28
But......

taildragger

Have you seen the rear of a hiker before? Its like looking at Medusa, it will turn you to stone.

Real question though, do the SOBO's have to worry about this as much, and if they have to stop the train, couldn't you just run like hell and go stealth for awhile, or are the mooners the kinda people that don't know how walk in the woods w/o blazes?

Lone Wolf
The Trinity will be all over this. LW, you one of them? :p I wonder what Warren thinks? :D

no. i don't hate warren like the others

Tin Man
11-15-2007, 11:31
Here is an interesting piece quoted from Wikipedia...

In 2006, a Maryland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland) USA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA) court of appeal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_of_appeal) determined that mooning is a form of expression protected by the United States constitutional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution) right of freedom of speech (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech).[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooning#_note-3) The court ruled that indecent exposure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indecent_exposure) only relates to exposure of the genitals, adding that even though mooning was a "disgusting" and "demeaning" act to engage in, and had in addition taken place in the presence of a minor,
"If exposure of half of the buttocks constituted indecent exposure, any woman wearing a thong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong_%28clothing%29) at the beach at Ocean City would be guilty." Defense attorneys had cited a 1983 case of a woman who was arrested after protesting in front of the U.S. Supreme Court wearing nothing but a cardboard sign that covered the front of her body. In that case, the Washington D.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_D.C.) Court of Appeals had ruled that indecent exposure is limited to a person's genitals. No review of the case by a higher body, such as a Supreme Court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court) took place, since the States Attorney dropped the prosecution after the ruling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooning

Johnny Thunder
11-15-2007, 11:32
"stop Snitchin' "

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 11:38

against the law??? hahahaha I hope you checked the laws in your state, 95% of the things your wife?/girlfriend? and you are doing behind closed doors is against the law - you going to tell me just cause its law your not going to do it?

Not tryn to get off topic.

Sly
no. i don't hate warren like the others

I don't either. Somtimes I like reading the exchanges. Nothing like a little drama.

jesse
In 2006, a Maryland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland) USA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA) court of appeal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_of_appeal) determined that mooning is a form of expression protected by the United States constitutional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution) right of freedom of speech (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech) ...

Now that makes a lot of sense. It will only cost about a $100,000 to defend yourself in court. Just keep your pants on. If I were on the train I would complain just cause I don't want to see your a$$.

Gray Blazer
11-15-2007, 11:39
I've never ridden it, probably never will, but I am a Cass Scenic Railroad enthusiast and I wouldn't express my displeasure in that manner.

What would the Quakers say? Or is that the Mennonites?? :confused:

Sly
11-15-2007, 11:43
Just keep your pants on. If I were on the train I would complain just cause I don't want to see your a$$.

Well, you could always look to the other side of the train.

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 11:44
Have you seen the rear of a hiker before? Its like looking at Medusa, it will turn you to stone.

Real question though, do the SOBO's have to worry about this as much, and if they have to stop the train, couldn't you just run like hell and go stealth for awhile, or are the mooners the kinda people that don't know how walk in the woods w/o blazes?

Kinda wondered the same thing, how hard would it be to ditch your pack down the trail, have a different shirt ready before going to moon. Then when they jump from the train after you, just run like heck, throw the new shirt/pack on and just start walking?

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 11:47
Kinda wondered the same thing, how hard would it be to ditch your pack down the trail, have a different shirt ready before going to moon. Then when they jump from the train after you, just run like heck, throw the new shirt/pack on and just start walking?

a lot of work just so you can show your ass to kids

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 11:47

as a hiker you can just have respect and keep your pants up

Sly
11-15-2007, 11:49
as a hiker you can just have respect and keep your pants up

I guess you could do that too. :(

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 11:52
this is your bung *
this is your bung in prison O
don't moon

YeOldeBackpacker
11-15-2007, 11:54
the female hiker took herself off the trail
the hiker that pooed in a pavilion was on private property
mooners are in a national forest and obviously there were MANY complaints. show your ass, pay the fine.
And crap in a church owned pavillion ( Now that shows real class in a person) then tresspass on private property break into the property owners pool, etc.. As well as ruin it for any hiker that follows your stupidass behavior! you should be fined!

emerald
11-15-2007, 11:55
Isn't speech oral communication? Cog-mooners: unhappy campers willing to pay for the right to speak with their cleft behinds.:rolleyes: :D

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 11:55
And crap in a church owned pavillion ( Now that shows real class in a person) then tresspass on private property break into the property owners pool, etc.. As well as ruin it for any hiker that follows your stupidass behavior! you should be fined!

i didn't do that stuff. why should i be fined?

camojack
11-15-2007, 11:56
(_|_) :eek:
/ /\ \

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 11:58
a lot of work just so you can show your ass to kids

I dont think anyone is doing it to specifictly to show the ass to kids.

Squeaky 2
imagine the uproar they would have over hike naked day!

besides how the hell does a train driver catch anyone on mt washington after they have just hiked 1800+ miles. damn they must be fit!

taildragger
(_|_) :eek:
/ /\ \

It's not the same w/o the stench

Lone Wolf

WHY ARE they doing it?

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 12:00
imagine the uproar they would have over hike naked day!

besides how the hell does a train driver catch anyone on mt washington after they have just hiked 1800+ miles. damn they must be fit!

by the time hikers get there they're soft from all the slackpacking and hostel stays

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 12:00
To show their butts to the old people?

camojack
11-15-2007, 12:02
WHY ARE they doing it?
Because they can. Of course, now they need to be willing to pay for the privilege...

taildragger
11-15-2007, 12:03
WHY ARE they doing it?

sometimes you just gotta air out your sweaty azz, the wind that the train produces helps air out and dry said crack

Sly
11-15-2007, 12:06
this is your bung *
this is your bung in prison O
don't moon

LOL... Now that's funny!
:D

wrongway_08
All this talk about naked hiker butts has gotten me hungry :eek: , going to go out and get something to eat - catch up with the butt talk in a little while :D .

YeOldeBackpacker
I didn't say that you did, I was quoting the "the Hiker that Pooed in the pavillion"

Sly
11-15-2007, 12:07

Come on that's two different things. I mooned the Cog but wouldn't **** on someones property.

jesse
11-15-2007, 12:08

Those who pay the fare have the right to look out both sides, without seeing anybody's ass.

They sure are. If they intentionly show their ass, knowing that kids are probably on the train. Kinda sick if you ask me.

Sly
11-15-2007, 12:09

Kids see ass all the time taking showers in school. If guys are waving their peter around, that's differnt.

Tin Man
11-15-2007, 12:10
Hypothetical question: If you don't like being called an a$$, then why prove you are an a$$ by showing your a$$? :confused: Maybe you just like being called an a$$? :-?

Uncle Silly
11-15-2007, 12:22
Isn't speech oral communication?

Ideas and opinions can be written down. They can be communicated by hand gestures (as in American Sign Language) and by flag-waving (as in semaphores).

When we talk about "freedom of speech", conceptually, we really mean "freedom of expression". "[...] the right is not confined to verbal speech but is understood to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used." Wikipedia, "Freedom of speech" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 12:33
I can flip on MTV and see way more skin than a proper moon should show.
When viewed in your own home, you can also flip MTV off!:-?And no one forces me to buy a ticket and ride the train.

As I understand the controversy started because schools sometimes take kids to ride the COG as a field trip. The kids get mooned and the parents get upset. I doubt many hikers would moon the train if they knew it contained a bunch of school kids. Maybe the train needs to warn hikers when it is carrying a large group of school kids instead of making heroic efforts to bust hikers for mooning :rolleyes:.

Since the train is at the location frequently and is currently having to stop to let the LEOs jump off and round up the mooners, it would be less time consuming and cost less in manpower to leave a sign sort of like the "wet floor' signs saying the next train has school kids aboard and pick up the sign as they passed.

Flush2wice
11-15-2007, 12:36
Would mooning the web cam be considered offensive?

RadioFreq
11-15-2007, 12:38
When we talk about "freedom of speech", conceptually, we really mean "freedom of expression". "[...] the right is not confined to verbal speech but is understood to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used." Wikipedia, "Freedom of speech" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech)

Exactly what "information or ideas" are the mooners trying to "impart" to the folks on the train? :-?

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 12:40
Maybe the train needs to warn hikers when it is carrying a large group of school kids instead of making heroic efforts to bust hikers for mooning :rolleyes:.

mabe hikers just need to keep their god damned shorts up

Alligator
11-15-2007, 12:42
Exactly what "information or ideas" are the mooners trying to "impart" to the folks on the train? :-?Having a hiker ass is better than having a fat ass:D?

Flush2wice
11-15-2007, 12:43
Exactly what "information or ideas" are the mooners trying to "impart" to the folks on the train? :-?

That in the mooner's opinion, the moonees are:

Dam worthless yuppies screwing up everything. They should just stay home and wash their Escalades.

Sly
11-15-2007, 12:43

Ah, my guess would be that the train is a foul, pollution spewing menace. :-?

mudhead
11-15-2007, 12:44
Do a half-wedgie and scratch. Or not.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 12:46
Ah, my guess would be that the train is a foul, pollution spewing menace. :-?

those same hikers will get to Gorham and stay in a hostel with electricity generated by coal burning plants. they really need to charge up their cell phones though so i guess it's alright

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 12:50
The last thing I'm inspired to do when I reach the cog rail is drop my shorts. Not sure how this 'tradition' started but I don't mind that it is hopefully ending. Doesn't really cast a favorable light on hikers.

Yukon
11-15-2007, 12:54
Anyone know who was the first hiker to moon the cog was?

Sly
11-15-2007, 12:56
The last thing I'm inspired to do when I reach the cog rail is drop my shorts. Not sure how this 'tradition' started but I don't mind that it is hopefully ending. Doesn't really cast a favorable light on hikers.

I normally don't go around mooning. This was the 1st and only time. Although I heard about it was completely spontaneous.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 12:56
Anyone know who was the first hiker to moon the cog was?

probably some hypocritical bunny-loving, tree hugger who now lives in a huge house and drives an SUV

Flush2wice
11-15-2007, 12:57
I think it was Grandma Gatewood.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 12:58
I think it was Grandma Gatewood.

she yellow-blazed the Whites

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 12:58
I normally don't go around mooning. This was the 1st and only time. Although I heard about it was completely spontaneous.

Yeah, first time I heard about was the first time I climbed. Considered it then but only for a moment. Decided it just wasn't my stile. Hike naked day may be a different issue if I were in a remote enough area, which I normally am in June - Maine:) :)

RockyBob
11-15-2007, 13:22
probably some hypocritical bunny-loving, tree hugger who now lives in a huge house and drives an SUV

{{{ Bleep }}}

Sly
11-15-2007, 13:26

{{{ Bleep }}}

Y'all had to bring politics into it, huh? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 13:27

not me. i was referring to ex thru- hikers.

Alligator
11-15-2007, 13:27
{{{ Bleep }}}Wrong forum.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 13:28
she yellow-blazed the WhitesSource of info please

RockyBob
11-15-2007, 13:29

Sorry,.....but couldn't resist the opening :banana

taildragger
11-15-2007, 13:30

Nice pun, 8 points for that

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 13:33

that's what ******** said

Sly
11-15-2007, 13:40
not me. i was referring to ex thru- hikers.

I was going to let you slide. RockyBob made you an accomplice after the fact. ;)

Gaiter
11-15-2007, 14:00
really? why spend money on arresting hikers, or are they running out of bigger problems, lol

Gaiter
11-15-2007, 14:04
well at least they are sending out the officers when most of the thru-hikers are passing, note the sarcasm

dessertrat
11-15-2007, 14:10
I wouldn't moon anyone, even though I hear the congress is going to reduce the penalties for crack.

But don't these people appreciate being up for the crack of Dawn? (or Don?)

dessertrat
11-15-2007, 14:13

Mooning is not against the law in many states, unless it exposes the anus. In other words, the law says if you're going to ban all mooning, you'd better arrest the girl in the thong on the beach.

taildragger
11-15-2007, 14:19
Mooning is not against the law in many states, unless it exposes the anus. In other words, the law says if you're going to ban all mooning, you'd better arrest the girl in the thong on the beach.

so what your saying is that if I chose to walk past the train with just a pack and a thong on, it'd be gravy with the po po? I'd rather see an azz then see someone like me walk by in a thong

dessertrat
11-15-2007, 14:29
so what your saying is that if I chose to walk past the train with just a pack and a thong on, it'd be gravy with the po po? I'd rather see an azz then see someone like me walk by in a thong

True. And if you were wearing something that covered the essentials, you'd be all set in most jurisdictions.

It's even legal for women to go topless in some places now, although unfortunately they don't often do it.

Yukon
11-15-2007, 14:30
It's even legal for women to go topless in some places now, although unfortunately they don't often do it.

Hahaha, very good :)

Blue Jay
11-15-2007, 14:51
All of this is hardly surprising. As Lone Wolf has eloquently spoken of tiome and time again, this is clearly THE most important threat to our free way of life. {{{ Bleep }}}

Phil1959
11-15-2007, 14:53
The fact that I am sitting here responding to this,shows me I got to find a new adventure and go do it.But for now I will respond.I was there for the funniest mooning of the year.I will not name names,but 2 guys mooned the train when it stopped on top in front of everybody.I was talking to some woman when all of a sudden me 2 pals dropped their pants and I almost died laughing.But being the responsible man I am,I stood there in shock and kept my laughter to myself.It was funny though watching the ranger freak out and scream and yell at them.I guess we all could of just looked at the t shirts for sale instead.............laughter is more fun everyone!

woodsy
11-15-2007, 14:58
One good way to show that you are an ass is to bend over and show your ass to the public. If the shoe fits, wear it!

AT-HITMAN2005
11-15-2007, 17:07
was listening to talk radio on the way home(phillips phile in orlando) and the news update at the beginning of the show mentioned this article.

the way i always understood, was that it was a protest against the coal engine the train uses. i didn't moon, mainly because the weather was crap, with the remnants of katrina passing through and all, wanted to get off the mountain.

and if they are mooning because its a political protest, then they should be able to get out of the charge. just hope they say that to the judge and not "oh its just a tradition, everyone does it"

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 17:10
[QUOTE=AT-HITMAN2005;449723"oh its just a tradition, everyone does it"[/QUOTE]

typical thru-hiker sheeple behavior

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 17:13
Everybody has one, if they don't know what it looks like, you should DEFINITELY not be worried about the mooner but the...uhh... I guess the operative word is "moonee"?

Frosty
11-15-2007, 17:16
I'll say it again, I dont do it - have never done it and have no desire to do it. At the same time its just someones butt, look away for a second, if the site of a random butt is going to scar you/youngsters/wife/husband, you've got bigger problems - its just a butt.So it's okay to moon trains.

But what about buses? They are public transportation, too. Is it okay to stand on the corner of Oak and Poke, mooning city buses as they go by?

And can anyone do this, or is this one of those Thru-hikers-are-special-and-society-rules-don't-apply kind of entitlement?

This obviously needs more thought than we are giving it.

Personally, I don't think people should be mooning private vehicles cruising down Main Street, but taxis are a kind of public transportation, right? So mooning cabs is okay.

I do wonder about carpools, though. Seems to me that one could go either way.

This is a very weighty subject.

Sly
11-15-2007, 17:20
Frosty most types of public transportation don't spew black ash all over.

Jarhead16
11-15-2007, 17:23
Frosty most types of public transportation don't spew black ash all over.

Gots to second that. With the exception of the diesel exhaust, ECK!!! I feel myself dying when I'm behind a diesel.:eek:

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 17:30
people bring yougsters to beaches, lots of butts and boobs there - same with catalogs that come to your house, go to the mall during summer - butts and boobs, videos - more butts and boobs. None of those leave anything to the imagination.
I am fine with it, moon away. More important things to worry about then a butt being shown.
I dont see why some people make such a big deal about this stuff.

Its just a body, everyone has one - aint nothing special about any of them.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 17:33
so it would be o.k. for a teacher to moon a class full of first graders

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 17:35
What subject is the teacher teaching?

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 17:36
Hahahaha, loosen up a bit.

Footslogger
11-15-2007, 17:37

==================================

Sorry ...just had to jump in here. Went to Catholic school and the visual I got, well ...:eek:

'Slogger

taildragger
11-15-2007, 17:38
Gots to second that. With the exception of the diesel exhaust, ECK!!! I feel myself dying when I'm behind a diesel.:eek:

Hey, us oil burners are cleaner than you gassers, we just had sulfur in our fuel till recently...

taildragger
11-15-2007, 17:39

My first grade teacher was hot, I wouldn't have minded

Jim Adams
11-15-2007, 17:39

Sorry ...just had to jump in here. Went to Catholic school and the visual I got, well ...:eek:

'Slogger

now that's funny!!!:banana

'slogger,will PM you about the pack tonight.

geek

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 17:40
Hey, us oil burners are cleaner than you gassers, we just had sulfur in our fuel till recently...

Correct you are! The smell sorta messes with me but they are cleaner burning.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 17:40
What subject is the teacher teaching?

no subject. does there have to be one?

"it's just a body, everyone has one - ain't nothing special about any of them"
so you're cool with adults showing there asses to your children. oh well

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 17:41
C'mon Wolf, you're better than that, that's devicive. Your concept doesn't fall in at all with the general nature of what he said. In general we are an uptight society and while i wouldn't moon anything or anybody, it is true is that a butt is just that, nothing more, nothing less. It is only criminal if their is nefarious intent, as your example of a teacher flashing minors. But general nudity as simply the sight of skin, we all need to get over ourselves and our learned shame.

wrongway_08
11-15-2007, 17:42
no subject. does there have to be one?

"it's just a body, everyone has one - ain't nothing special about any of them"
so you're cool with adults showing there asses to your children. oh well

I was using SARCASM....... missed it did ya. Thats a sign to loosen up :)

Sly
11-15-2007, 17:43

'Slogger

Really? I was always curious to see what a Nun looked like under her habit. :D

Lone Wolf
11-15-2007, 17:43
C'mon Wolf, you're better than that, that's devicive. Your concept doesn't fall in at all with the general nature of what he said. In general we are an uptight society and while i wouldn't moon anything or anybody, it is true is that a butt is just that, nothing more, nothing less. It is only criminal if their is nefarious intent, as your example of a teacher flashing minors. But general nudity as simply the sight of skin, we all need to get over ourselves and our learned shame.

i'm right. you're wrong

MOWGLI
11-15-2007, 17:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_Cog_Railway

According to Wikipedia, "The (Mount Washington Cog) railway is sometimes called Railway to the Moon..."

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 17:44
Really? I was always curious to see what a Nun looked like under her habit. :D

I'm guessing he wasn't talking about nuns.:(

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 17:45
i'm right. you're wrong

Prove it.:p

emerald
11-15-2007, 17:46
With a name like wrongway_08, I suppose you expect us to believe you will SOBO next year.:rolleyes: I suggest you practice by mooning Maine's black flies. By the time you reach New Hampshire, you may value having your shorts properly adjusted.:D

jesse
11-15-2007, 17:49
I am fine with it, moon away. More important things to worry about then a butt being shown.
I dont see why some people make such a big deal about this stuff.

The pro-mooners sure seem to think its a big deal

warraghiyagey
With a name like wrongway_08, I suppose you expect us to believe you will SOBO next year.:rolleyes: I suggest you practice by mooning Maine's black flies. By the time you reach New Hampshire, you may value having your shorts properly adjusted.:D

SOBO is not the wrong way - it's just another beautiful way.

Sly
I'm guessing he wasn't talking about nuns.:(

If that's the case, forget it.

wrongway_08

:D Thats funny! :D

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 17:50
If that's the case, forget it.

Eggggzactly!

woodsy
11-15-2007, 17:54
Mooning the Blackflies will help you keep your shorts properly adjusted, lol, has me anyway, only drop them out of necessity at best!

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 17:56
Mooning the Blackflies will help you keep your shorts properly adjusted, lol, has me anyway, only drop them out of necessity at best!

And what exactly constitutes necessity?

woodsy
11-15-2007, 17:58
Your guess is as good as mine Wargy:-?

Tin Man
11-15-2007, 18:02
This discussion is not what WB is cracked up to be.

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 18:03
Your guess is as good as mine Wargy:-?

Sorry. Been lonely these last few months.:o

Sly
11-15-2007, 18:06
This discussion is not what WB is cracked up to be.

A hot button topic. I think the lastt thread on mooning the cog was closed down.

Tin Man
11-15-2007, 18:09
A hot button topic. I think the lastt thread on mooning the cog was closed down.

I think that was after one of the cog drivers started throwing coal at the mooners.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 18:13
so what your saying is that if I chose to walk past the train with just a pack and a thong on, it'd be gravy with the po po? I'd rather see an azz then see someone like me walk by in a thong::: Dino patiently awaits first pic of hiker mooning COG while wearing a thong. Someone alert the ACLU :D :::

emerald
11-15-2007, 18:14
Santa puts lignite under the Christmas trees of thru-mooners. He gives Pennsylvania anthracite only to hikers he wants to keep warm and happy.

Tin Man
11-15-2007, 18:17
Santa puts coal under the Christmas trees of thru-mooners.

A chastity belt might be better.

applejack
11-15-2007, 18:34
does no one else wonder about the 'federal offense' thing? i don't have my maps in front of me, but i kinda thought that the point where you moon the train is on mt wash state park lands, not nat'l forest

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 18:37
does no one else wonder about the 'federal offense' thing? i don't have my maps in front of me, but i kinda thought that the point where you moon the train is on mt wash state park lands, not nat'l forest

White Mountain National

weary
11-15-2007, 18:38
Hikers Who Moon Train Face Crack Down (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14602221/detail.html)
Tradition Offensive To Many .....
Hmmm. I think a mooner has his crack up.

applejack
11-15-2007, 18:39
White Mountain National

oh, ok. was i close?

warraghiyagey
11-15-2007, 18:45
oh, ok. was i close?

Umm, no. Or kinda. I don't know. But Mt. Washington is in the White Mountain National Forrest.

Jan LiteShoe
11-15-2007, 19:07
A chastity belt might be better.

Two words:
Duct tape!
:)

Tin Man
11-15-2007, 19:42
Here is the solution...it's called Crack Spackle (http://www.joe-ks.com/MultiMedia/CrackSpackle.htm)

woodsy
11-15-2007, 19:46
Looking at Comet Holmes does not constitute necessity:-?:p(inside joke)

woodsy
11-15-2007, 20:04

I think that was after one of the cog drivers started throwing coal at the mooners.

I think that was after 10 previous mooning the Cog threads were locked down,
where's the ferry?:banana

emerald
11-15-2007, 20:11
I believe the location of the ferry was established in the most recent thread, but it didn't seem to matter.

Programbo
11-15-2007, 20:14
(http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14602221/detail.html)"Mooning the cog" is a long tradition for hikers, especially those completing the Appalachian Trail, which passes over the highest point in the northeast.....

This is no "long tradition"..This is another of at least a dozen things I`ve seen written about as "traditions" which are merely recent inventions...This is one "tradition" the AT can do without if hikers don`t wish to be viewed as a lower rung on the social evolutionary scale...If you wish to moon the fellow members of your own hiking party in private then by all means knock yourself out..But to moon women, children and families shows a total lack of class

Sly
11-15-2007, 20:15
Ferry? I'm out of here. Pretty much beat to death anyway.

Sly
11-15-2007, 20:20
OK one more. It was popular in the late 90's and I'm sure before that. How long does a tradition take to become a long traditon? Seems long enough to me.

As an example, is signing God Bless America in the 7th inning a tradition?

woodsy
11-15-2007, 20:24
I believe the location of the ferry was established in the most recent thread, but it didn't seem to matter.

Ferry? I'm out of here. Pretty much beat to death anyway.
How come hikers aren't mooning the ferry?
It could become a new tradition:rolleyes: No fines there yet:D

emerald
11-15-2007, 20:34
It could become a new tradition:rolleyes: No fines there yet:D

Where's the rest of the team? Bring it on.:eek: Let's shut her down.:cool:

rickb
11-15-2007, 20:35
Another article from FOsters.com with a bit more detail:

Several moons spotted on Mount Washington
Article Date: Wednesday, November 14, 2007

MOUNT WASHINGTON, N.H. (AP) — A century-and-a-half ago, so the story goes, New Hampshire native and meatpacking tycoon Sylvester Marsh went to the Legislature with a proposal to build a railway to the summit of Mount Washington.

They laughed and said he "might as well build a railway to the moon."

Make that moons.

Today, passengers chugging up Mount Washington in the Cog Railway can take in views spanning four states, Quebec and the Atlantic Ocean. They can breathe in the crisp mountain air, gaze at the bright sky and wonder at the breathtaking panorama of the Presidential Range.

And if the stars are in alignment, they can catch a glimpse of the moons.

Station Master Laura Hardiman said she didn't realize how frequently it happened until she worked as a brakeman — hikers dropping their pants to salute the steam-powered locomotive as it passed them by.

"I think it is a really long-standing 20- or 30-year tradition, if you want to call it that, for some of the through hikers," she said.

It happens so frequently, Hardiman said, that some tourists thought the moonings are part of the train fare.

They aren't, though some rail workers make it a point to mention them.

"Sometimes one of the more tactful brakemen will say, 'There is one more thing we need to tell you about,'" Hardiman said. "Be prepared, whether this means covering your eyes or getting out your camera, I am not sure, but we do have hikers who potentially could be mooning the train."

Near the end of the summer the moonings became more frequent.

"They were horrified. Little kids cried. Some people cracked up and thought it was funny. But a lot of people were highly offended," Hardiman said.

Someone complained, and that's when the law got involved.

Undercover officers — an off-duty trooper and a ranger dressed in hiking clothes — started riding the train.

They caught the culprits literally with their pants down.

During a couple of weekends authorities cited eight hikers — including one woman — for flashing their cheeks at the train.

Because the moonings happened in the White Mountain National Forest, the accused mooners were given summons to pay a fine or appear in U.S. District Court in Concord.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Kinsella said Wednesday he had not heard of the case, or seen any of the accused mooners in court, but would look out for them.

woodsy
11-15-2007, 20:52
but we do have hikers who potentially could be mooning the train."

Near the end of the summer the moonings became more frequent.

"They were horrified. Little kids cried.

I would have been "horrified" too.
See what some of y'all did?, made the lil kiddies cry!
Shame on you!

MOWGLI
11-15-2007, 21:08

I "smell" a new tradition in the making. If you moon it while fording, do you get extra points that can be redeemed in exchange for skipped trail miles? :rolleyes:

Dakota Dan
11-15-2007, 21:14
I remember reading a trail journal quite a while back where somebody mooned some hikers from the train. Probably former thru-hikers taking the ride up the mountain.

I got mooned by some kids on a school bus in N.Ga once. I thought it was funny.

A good solution would be to have on some Snoopy or some other funny boxers and just moon only showing your underwear.

I've got an old pair of Snuffy Smith Boxers I'd like to exhibit.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2007, 21:25
Just a Hiker as seen from the COG :D (http://www.prankplace.com/images/christmas/amsanta_boxers.jpg)

Sly
11-15-2007, 21:34
Thanks for the article Rick. Looks like a LONG standing tradition to me.

Blissful
11-15-2007, 22:48
Another article from FOsters.com with a bit more detail:

Article Date: Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Sometimes one of the more tactful brakemen will say, 'There is one more thing we need to tell you about,'" Hardiman said. "Be prepared, whether this means covering your eyes or getting out your camera, I am not sure, but we do have hikers who potentially could be mooning the train."

That's probably why no one looked our way, thinking we might do something like that when we hiked by. We waved a little to the people, but they ignored us and looked the other way. Another bad taste people have for hikers doing the trail. Just like some of the town fiascos with drunk hikers. Sad.

Jim Adams
11-15-2007, 22:54
I did moon the train during my 1990 thru because I was told back then that it was a long standing tradition and the train personnel threw coal back then too.

geek

EWS
11-15-2007, 22:59
Someone complained, and that's when the law got involved.

Undercover officers — an off-duty trooper and a ranger dressed in hiking clothes — started riding the train.

They caught the culprits literally with their pants down.

During a couple of weekends authorities cited eight hikers — including one woman — for flashing their cheeks at the train.

People need to get a life. A trooper had to ride the train for a couple of weekends to cite eight hikers dropping their pants. What an brilliant and effective use of law enforcement officials.

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 01:34
Looking at Comet Holmes does not constitute necessity:-?:p(inside joke)
Dude, you always make me laugh out loud.:) :) :)

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 01:37
OK one more. It was popular in the late 90's and I'm sure before that. How long does a tradition take to become a long traditon? Seems long enough to me.

As an example, is signing God Bless America in the 7th inning a tradition?

Singing 'Sweet Caroline' at Fenway is.:)

Frosty
11-16-2007, 01:58
Frosty most types of public transportation don't spew black ash all over.So? I think the question of it being okay to moon in public or not is a separate question as to the relative amounts of pollution produced by cog railways and buses.

Besides, try as I might I cannot think of a single way the cog will produce less ash when it passes by some bared asses.

Mooning something because you don't agree with it is not an effective means of improving a situation. Don't take my word for it. Next time you see a speed trap, go moon the cop with the radar gun.

Sly
11-16-2007, 02:02
Next time you see a speed trap, go moon the cop with the radar gun.

LOL... I'd like to.

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 02:02
. . . Next time you see a speed trap, go moon the cop with the radar gun.

Just make sure it's not a taser first.

Sly
11-16-2007, 02:06
People need to get a life. A trooper had to ride the train for a couple of weekends to cite eight hikers dropping their pants. What an brilliant and effective use of law enforcement officials.

LOL...

What's interesting is seeing the split over the issue. Lots of folks that would otherwise disagree, on politics for example, agree here and visa versa.

camojack
11-16-2007, 02:08
LOL...

What's interesting is seeing the split over the issue. Lots of folks that would otherwise disagree, on politics for example, agree here and visa versa.
Seeing the split over the issue? ;)

rob123ufl
11-16-2007, 02:18

I don't think that it's all that wrong. God gave man an ass. Man ate an apple and became timid about said ass. but folks, what kind of tyrannical rule are we living under when showing your bum becomes a punishable offense. Just because there is a law against it doesnt make it morally wrong. There are plenty of laws that were made because of misdirected beauracracy, to insure that certain people maintained profits or status. At one time there were segregation laws, and im sure L. Wolf followed those simply because they existed...:-?

I say FIGHT THE MAN and SHOW YOUR BUM! We all know its not wrong. It's not vulgar. It's an expression of freedom. Those who complain are stuck in a prudish world governed by ridiculous social mores.

To protest this law I've decided to thru-hike in 2008 completely nude. :cool:

EWS
11-16-2007, 02:39
LOL...

Agreed, but it is a religious issue in my eyes. A crackdown here and a crackdown over there (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5it1RoXqoECbWjq2Cp7971F-GVRjA). Same principle, the extreme have just got their way over there and are working on it here.

Sly
11-16-2007, 03:22
Agreed, but it is a religious issue in my eyes. A crackdown here and a crackdown over there (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5it1RoXqoECbWjq2Cp7971F-GVRjA). Same principle, the extreme have just got their way over there and are working on it here.

The moral security police!

EWS
11-16-2007, 03:47
Lightweight hi-tech thongs are on sale (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/238,12948_Lowe-Alpine-Dry-Zone-Thong-Lightweight-For-Women.html).

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 05:09
I don't think that it's all that wrong. God gave man an ass. Man ate an apple and became timid about said ass. but folks, what kind of tyrannical rule are we living under when showing your bum becomes a punishable offense. Just because there is a law against it doesnt make it morally wrong. There are plenty of laws that were made because of misdirected beauracracy, to insure that certain people maintained profits or status. At one time there were segregation laws, and im sure L. Wolf followed those simply because they existed...:-?

I say FIGHT THE MAN and SHOW YOUR BUM! We all know its not wrong. It's not vulgar. It's an expression of freedom. Those who complain are stuck in a prudish world governed by ridiculous social mores.

To protest this law I've decided to thru-hike in 2008 completely nude. :cool:

will mommy and daddy be paying all your fines? THE MAN is gonna benefit from your stupidity. :)

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 05:51
will mommy and daddy be paying all your fines? THE MAN is gonna benefit from your stupidity. :)

Just checking to see that you haven't napalmed some misguided hikers.

:D

Heater
11-16-2007, 06:15
so what your saying is that if I chose to walk past the train with just a pack and a thong on, it'd be gravy with the po po?

Please, we do not want to see the gravy in your popo.

Chef2000
11-16-2007, 07:08
It amazes me how a thread starts out as a serious issue Hikers getting fined for exposure, then u flip to the last few pages and folks are talkin about about nuns and god given ass. Oh well, I never mooned and never will. While I agree that the law enforcement dudes could spend more time on other trail crimes, committed by hikers and non hikers alike. This was specific things others complained about, and more than once.

Prior to my 2000 hike from GA to ME I had spent 20 years hiking in the whites, it sort of my Local Trainig Area, as we would say in the Army. Keep ur smelly butts tucked away. We dont wanna see them.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-16-2007, 09:12
I am vastly overqualified to wear a thong garment and will be wearing this one (http://www.webundies.com/images/mp014b2mr.jpg) instead when I moon the COG - wonder if one of the cottage industries could make these in a tech fabric. :D

Chef, you make some good points, but I feel that if we can't laugh both at the absurdities of life and ourselves, that we lose something as people. Hikers are strong group both psychologically and physically. Thrus that have made it to the COG location are determined and disciplined individuals who are adventurous and accustomed to thinking outside the box. Telling such daring souls that they can’t participate in a somewhat innocuous long-standing tradition because of a few priggish people on a train virtually guarantees that those who are disposed to moon will moon.

SGT Rock
11-16-2007, 09:18
Tasers, that is what this problem needs.

Survivor Dave
11-16-2007, 09:27
You are so right Rock. Everyone on the train needs to be subdued. Does the new cell phone have a taser built in? I hope when you get up there you don't have a "Bourbon Induced" moment and drop trowel! LOL :D

SD

Tasers, that is what this problem needs.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-16-2007, 09:31
Tasers, that is what this problem needs.:eek: I'll do more than fart if you come after me with a taser :D

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 09:57
Hikers are strong group both psychologically and physically. Thrus that have made it to the COG location are determined and disciplined individuals who are adventurous and accustomed to thinking outside the box. Telling such daring souls that they can’t participate in a somewhat innocuous long-standing tradition because of a few priggish people on a train virtually guarantees that those who are disposed to moon will moon.

That's funny. "thrus" are daring souls that think outside the box? What kinda crap is that? :D The ones that have made it to the Cog location have blue-blazed, yellow-blazed and slackpacked. Those "priggish" people on the train pay a minimum of $200 for a family of 4. Money talks and "thrus" walk (away with a ticket). Moon on idiots. :)

Outlaw
11-16-2007, 10:08

It's not a matter of psychological scaring I'm concerned with, it's more a matter of just plain old common decency and respecting others. The cog railway has been in existance for a lot more years than the AT. People should be able to ride the darn thing without be exposed to someone's hairy ass, as if the riders are in the wrong for using it. Anyone who doesn't like the cog can boycott using it, write their congressman about what a polluting monster it is, or whatever, but the folks riding it shouldn't be the target of one's moon and the cog railway itself, being just a huge hunk of iron, doesn't have the ability to see a moon anyway.:rolleyes:

EWS
11-16-2007, 10:16
There is too much emphasis on man-ass in this thread. Woman-ass demands a fair and equal chance, and imho more chances, to show its self.

The Weasel
11-16-2007, 10:21
I "smell" a new tradition in the making. If you moon it while fording, do you get extra points that can be redeemed in exchange for skipped trail miles? :rolleyes:

If you moon it anytime OTHER than fording, I think you'd better plan on fording.

TW

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 10:22
If you moon it anytime OTHER than fording, I think you'd better plan on fording.

TW

{{{ Bleep }}}

mudhead
11-16-2007, 10:25
Agreed. Need training area. Suggest Maine. Any number of dipping spots. All weight classes welcome. Priggs need not apply.

EWS
11-16-2007, 10:28
the new canoe guy might like men's bare naked hairy assesIt doesn't have to be bare to be gross. Warning... don't click {link removed}

mudhead
11-16-2007, 10:32
I can't believe I looked at that. Hard to type with eyes squeezed shut. You are indeed a twisted individual. Just how does one come into possesion of a shot like that.

Long tour was it?

EWS
11-16-2007, 10:41
You were warned. Not my photo, but I did venture too far down Bourbon Street when I was 18, that was scary.

mudhead
11-16-2007, 10:47
Warned or dared? I've never been to swift.

taildragger
11-16-2007, 10:48
There is too much emphasis on man-ass in this thread. Woman-ass demands a fair and equal chance, and imho more chances, to show its self.

I thought the main talk was about hairy ass, there could be a hairy assed woman out there...

Last thought on this thread, I think I might just whip out my jack ass and show it to the train (she'll be used on my hikes instead of poles, and since she's only half horse I can use her on the trail)

taildragger
11-16-2007, 10:49
You were warned. Not my photo, but I did venture too far down Bourbon Street when I was 18, that was scary.

That part of town makes mooning the cog seem as dull as a cup of tar coffee in the morning (sans caffeine)

The Old Fhart
11-16-2007, 10:55
Despite the miscreants claiming mooning the Cog is a ‘freedom of expression’, ‘protest’, or ‘civil liberties’ issue, and the people they moon are ‘prudes’ for being offended, what it comes down to is purely a common decency issue and Outlaw in post #176 is absolutely dead on. With freedom comes responsibility and you aren't free to express yourself by mooning at a playground or on the 50 yard line. ‘Bottom’ line is that it can be, and is, illegal to do this in a large number of places, as some thru hikers on Mt. Washington are finding out.

As to the ludicrous argument that there are better uses of police than fining hikers who are breaking the law, there were many complaints and the police responded-pure and simple. This was no different than any citizen calling the police about nefarious activities around a school and the police respond. The police obviously don’t ride the Cog every day so this illogical rationalization is spurious.

With some of us trying to improve the image others have of thru hikers, this juvenile behavior is counter productive and makes people think that all thru hikers are social misfits and/or perverts. Just how do you want the rest of the world to view thru hikers or do you even care? ALDHA’s endangered Services Campaign says don’t do it and try to discourage others from doing it as well. If you truly love the A.T. then don’t do things that you know will only be viewed be negative or destructive.

If you wouldn’t moon your kids or mother then don’t moon the Cog. If you would moon your kids or mother then get professional help soon. Just because you have an ass doesn’t mean you have to prove you are one.

rob123ufl
11-16-2007, 10:57

i wish they would, but im financially independent right now :(...but ill still moon l.wolf.

by the way, youre a dick ;)

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 11:01
i wish they would, but im financially independent right now :(...but ill still moon l.wolf.

you'll moon me? :D i dare you. why am i a dick? i bet you're a big-time frat boy.

Sly
11-16-2007, 11:07
ALDHA’s endangered Services Campaign says don’t do it and try to discourage others from doing it as well.

It does? I think the ESC has more to do with behaviour in towns and hostels. Of course, the argument can be made that mooning is a lack of etiquette but I never read anything specifically about mooning the cog.

jesse
11-16-2007, 11:07

your mama?

EWS
11-16-2007, 11:09
If you wouldn’t moon your kids or mother then don’t moon the Cog. If you would moon your kids or mother then get professional help soon. Just because you have an ass doesn’t mean you have to prove you are one.

I've had plenty of "professional help." I was monitored for three years due to job requirements. I knew those military psychologist didn't know what they were doing. I should've had you talk to them;)

I'll admit I can be an ass, but that goes back to the reoccurring "problem" with the evaluations and counseling. "He just doesn't care" and that doesn't garner a psychological disorder.

Everyones' values differ. People can worry themselves sick about it or decide to focus their energy elsewhere.

The Old Fhart
11-16-2007, 11:24
SLY-"It does? I think the ESC has more to do with behaviour in towns and hostels. Of course, the argument can be made that mooning is a lack of etiquette but I never read anything specifically about mooning the cog."

ALDHA's ESC-"Our hope is that hikers will eventually adapt the “Leave No Trace” camping ethic to their activities in towns, not just to their behavior in the woods, and do it without even thinking twice about it."

I really don't think that anyone need a list of 5000 things you can't or shouldn't do to realize that it just ain't right. Like the recent incident in Port Clinton, ALDHA's ESC doesn't say you can't skinny-dip in someone's backyard pool to wash crap off but any reasoning person would realize that is something you just don't do.;)

dessertrat
11-16-2007, 11:26

You'd better be well beyond swift boot range if you show L.Wolf yer bare butt.

Sly
11-16-2007, 11:44
I really don't think that anyone need a list of 5000 things you can't or shouldn't do to realize that it just ain't right. Like the recent incident in Port Clinton, ALDHA's ESC doesn't say you can't skinny-dip in someone's backyard pool to wash crap off but any reasoning person would realize that is something you just don't do.;)

Someone else tried to compare mooning to the incident in Port Clinton... I didn't fall for it then. Now if someone drops a load while their mooning, that's a different thing. :D

Regardless, we could talk about this until the cows come home. The fines may stop the practice. I'd just like to see equal or more enforcement on the ATV'ers and bikers that tear up the trail and actually cause damage, not perceived emotional damage or simple displeasure. I'm sure the authorities have gotten complaints.

The Old Fhart
11-16-2007, 12:31
SLY-"Someone else tried to compare mooning to the incident in Port Clinton... I didn't fall for it then."Ah, that's because you are taking the narrow view and feel it is about "perceived emotional damage or simple displeasure" and not illegal irresponsible hiker activity that shouldn't happen-period. True, neither of these events is on the list of 5000 things not to do but: 1) both Port Clinton and mooning the Cog are illegal, 2)Both show complete disregard for others, 3)Both cast all thru hikers in a bad light.

I could go on but you should get see the picture. While these are two separate and different kinds of events (one occurs at 6000ft-the other at low elevation; one in NH-one in PA; etc.) you can generalize and see that they are both irresponsible acts by thru hikers that just plain wrong.

As to your other complaint about ATVs, the state of New Hampshire has a number of ATV and multi-use trails and the state has information (http://www.nhtrails.org/Trailspages/ATVpages/atvhome.html) on these. Some of these areas have well over 100 miles of trails. There are plenty of organized trail clubs and they try to self-police the areas they use. There are also signs that say: "Stay on the trail or stay home" and there are spot checks by Fish& Game.

The problem is, there are rogue ATVers who won't obey the laws just like there are rogue hikers who illegally moon the Cog;). You can't in one breath castigate ATVers for illegal activities while condoning or turning a blind eye to illegal hiker activity-that's just hypocritical.

Frosty
11-16-2007, 14:00
Just make sure it's not a taser first.Oh, man, that sure tightened the old sphincter.

Sly
11-16-2007, 14:05
1) both Port Clinton and mooning the Cog are illegal

Not according to an article posted earlier. I'd like to see one of them go to court and plead his case, but they'll probably just pay the fine like sheeple.

Frosty
11-16-2007, 14:06
I am vastly overqualified to wear a thong garment and will be wearing this one (http://www.webundies.com/images/mp014b2mr.jpg) instead when I moon the COG - wonder if one of the cottage industries could make these in a tech fabric. :D
I would recommend the Hunter Orange fleece thong, only $7.99:

http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/16/34.htm?272

Frosty
11-16-2007, 14:08
The problem is, there are rogue ATVers who won't obey the laws just like there are rogue hikers who illegally moon the Cog;). You can't in one breath castigate ATVers for illegal activities while condoning or turning a blind eye to illegal hiker activity-that's just hypocritical.The Voice of Reason can kill a thread like this if you're not careful.

rob123ufl
11-16-2007, 14:14
you'll moon me? :D i dare you. why am i a dick? i bet you're a big-time frat boy.

youre not a dick. just ridiculously prudish. and also, about the frat thing. i'm not in a frat. i don't really know how that pertains. i am actually very far from the fraternity lifestyle. also, at 48 years of age i find it funny that youre concerned with fraternity boys encroaching on your trail.

you know what else? im not gonna white blaze the whole thing. i may even hitch sometimes. am i less of a man l. wolf?

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 14:28
youre not a dick. just ridiculously prudish. and also, about the frat thing. i'm not in a frat. i don't really know how that pertains. i am actually very far from the fraternity lifestyle. also, at 48 years of age i find it funny that youre concerned with fraternity boys encroaching on your trail.

you know what else? im not gonna white blaze the whole thing. i may even hitch sometimes. am i less of a man l. wolf?

prudish? hardly. just know what's right and wrong.
mooning is something frat boys would do. not white-blazing the whole way and hitching sometimes? we'd get along just fine

Sly
11-16-2007, 14:33
I think the next time I'm up that way I'll wear some sheer panty hose and moon every train that goes by. See what happens. Who would be able to beef?

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 14:34
that's rather gay, no?

Sly
11-16-2007, 14:36
that's rather gay, no?

Maybe. Just trying to prove a point.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 14:37
the point is?

Alligator
11-16-2007, 14:38
Maybe. Just trying to prove a point.Make it lace and garters and the rangers will be laughing too hard to catch you anyway.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 14:43
If the point is to protest the cog, then do something {{{ bleep }}} Showing your stupid ass is for weenie wannabe environmentalists. Buncha hypocrites. {{{ bleep }}} :)

bulldog
11-16-2007, 14:43
those same hikers will get to Gorham and stay in a hostel with electricity generated by coal burning plants. they really need to charge up their cell phones though so i guess it's alright

The cog is exempted from New Hampshire's air pollution laws which regulate coal burning plants.

The cog burns an entire ton of coal and uses a 1,000 gallons of water per one way trip. It also jettisons a huge cloud of smoke that drifts over the trails. I'll moon the mofo every time I see it. In fact I had the pleasure of mooning a train heading down the mountain on one side of the track and then another heading up the track.

http://www.mountwashington.com/cog/engines/index.html

Sly
11-16-2007, 14:44
Make it lace and garters and the rangers will be laughing too hard to catch you anyway.

Nah, nah. I just want them to think I'm showing my a$$.

grquinn
11-16-2007, 14:44
Tradition Offensive To Many

"Mooning the cog" is a long tradition for hikers, especially those completing the Appalachian Trail, which passes over the highest point in the northeast.

But the practice offends some, and on several weekends this fall some undercover officers took a ride on the train and stopped it when hikers gave them the salute.

Eight hikers are being charged with a federal offense, since they were on National Forest land. They need to pay a fine or appear in the U.S. District Court in Concord to contest the charge.

I suggested this on Trail Journals that they should give the Cog drivers and passengers paint ball guns loaded with pepper balls and let them shoot at thru-hikers mooning. This would allow the cog riders to have some fun, too.:banana

Also they could use Airsoft guns and ammo. I understand they have pretty good range.

Now that would be funny.:D

Sly
11-16-2007, 14:46
If the point is to protest the cog, {{{ bleep }}} Showing your stupid ass is for weenie wannabe environmentalists. Buncha hypocrites. {{{ Bleep }}} :)

I may do that later, when I need someplace to live. ;)

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 14:47
The cog is exempted from New Hampshire's air pollution laws which regulate coal burning plants.

The cog burns an entire ton of coal and uses a 1,000 gallons of water per one way trip. It also jettisons a huge cloud of smoke that drifts over the trails. I'll moon the mofo every time I see it. In fact I had the pleasure of mooning a train heading down the mountain on one side of the track and then another heading up the track.

http://www.mountwashington.com/cog/engines/index.html

instead of showing your little brown eye, show some big balls and monkeywrench the mofo

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-16-2007, 15:07
......there are rogue ATVers who won't obey the laws just like there are rogue hikers who illegally moon the Cog;). You can't in one breath castigate ATVers for illegal activities while condoning or turning a blind eye to illegal hiker activity-that's just hypocritical.I see these activities as being very different. Rogue ATV'ers destroy property while hikers mooning the COG do little, if any, harm. While mooning is an activity that is admittedly somewhat juvenile and one this Dino won't actually be doing when the time comes, it has been upheld thus far in courts as being a legal activity when used to express one's disdain. The smoke-belching COG isn't universally revered as a historic icon - some feel it is a blight on their wilderness experience.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 15:10
The smoke-belching COG isn't universally revered as a historic icon - some feel it is a blight on their wilderness experience.

they can go find some wilderness cuz the White mountains ain't it

jesse
11-16-2007, 15:11
by the way, youre a dick #188

youre not a dick #201

Rob, you sound like <Bleep>

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-16-2007, 15:17
I am vastly overqualified to wear a thong garment and will be wearing this one (http://www.webundies.com/images/mp014b2mr.jpg) instead when I moon the COG - wonder if one of the cottage industries could make these in a tech fabric. :DI would recommend the Hunter Orange fleece thong, only $7.99:
http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/16/34.htm?272While I love most of fiddlehead's line (just got an order in from him as a matter of fact), you really don't want to see a dino in a blaze orange thong. (Please don't force me to make this point using photoshop :D)
That's funny. "thrus" are daring souls that think outside the box? What kinda crap is that? :D The ones that have made it to the Cog location have blue-blazed, yellow-blazed and slackpacked. Those "priggish" people on the train pay a minimum of $200 for a family of 4. Money talks and "thrus" walk (away with a ticket). Moon on idiots. :)A question oh solitary canine king :D - if you wanted to moon the COG would the current situation (rangers ticketing) make you more or less likely moon? ;)

dixicritter
11-16-2007, 15:19
Y'all keep the political crap over in the political area

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 15:20
A question oh solitary canine king :D - if you wanted to moon the COG would the current situation (rangers ticketing) make you more or less likely moon? ;)

i would never moon in any situation. i have no problem with the Cog. i like it. it's been goin' 138 years.

jesse
11-16-2007, 15:26
Sorry, Thats the second time I've been edited on this thread. I will behave. So lets try again.

by the way, youre a dick

youre not a dick

Rob, do you even know what a dick is?

The Weasel
11-16-2007, 15:36
that's rather gay, no?

No, it's more Namathish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23dBG27gnuU

TW

Smile
11-16-2007, 15:38
Group hug? :)

For those who do want to protest the coal spewing cog, how about a concerted effort with a huge hiker camp along the tracks, some signs and make a scene out of it, call the press, throw it in somebody's documentary, etc.? That may speak louder than with a moon.

Some of the passengers may be getting a good laugh out of the moonrise as opposed to understanding why hikers do it :)

Yukon
11-16-2007, 15:44
i would never moon in any situation. i have no problem with the Cog. i like it. it's been goin' 138 years.

I have no problem with it either, and would never moon it....

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 16:11
that's rather gay, no?

No, it's more Namathish.

TW

Yeah. . . gay. . .

Tha Wookie
11-16-2007, 16:38
instead of showing your little brown eye, show some big balls and monkeywrench the mofo

Now you're talking. a little carob syrup could help end the debate.

Or new hampshire could legalize mooning, like North Carolina.

But really, would mooning end if the train was run on sustainable energy? I doubt it.

I think it has as much to do with just watching people being zipped up a mountain that the hikers choose to climb.

Just because something's been around for 130+ years doesn't make it a tradition worth continuing.

I think ticketing people for mooning the train is a waste of taxpayer's money. Don't they have better things to do?

my 2 cents

The Old Fhart
11-16-2007, 17:00
Tha Wookie-"Just because something's been around for 130+ years doesn't make it a tradition worth continuing." Just because someones been mooning for 10+ years doesn't make it a tradition worth continuing.:rolleyes:

dessertrat
11-16-2007, 17:08
Now you're talking. a little carob syrup could help end the debate.

Or new hampshire could legalize mooning, like North Carolina.

But really, would mooning end if the train was run on sustainable energy? I doubt it.

I think it has as much to do with just watching people being zipped up a mountain that the hikers choose to climb.

Just because something's been around for 130+ years doesn't make it a tradition worth continuing.

I think ticketing people for mooning the train is a waste of taxpayer's money. Don't they have better things to do?

my 2 cents

Yeah, but why does it matter that there's a cog train when you can also drive to the top? No train means more people driving.

When you consider that they've got a weather station, a parking lot, and all sorts of other stuff up there, the cog train isn't exactly ruining anything. Mt. Washington is like the Disneyland of the AT. Let it be what it is.

Sly
11-16-2007, 17:08

Wookie, I think you're wrong on that part. I have nothing against trains, and I'd have no problem if it didn't spew nasty black smoke into the air. Atleast many coal fired plants have scrubbers before releasing pollution into the air.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 17:09

key word. CHOOSE. nobody made you WALK up the mountain. don't be jealous cuz most folks get there easier than you. deal with and keep your friggin shorts up. :)

Sly
11-16-2007, 17:09
Yeah, but why does it matter that there's a cog train when you can also drive to the top? No train means more people driving.

Not necessarily, they have vans...

woodsy
11-16-2007, 17:15

Very good point
How come no one is mooning the auto road too? Automobiles spew pollution too, just can't see it.
Afraid someone will run you over? I would.

Tha Wookie
11-16-2007, 17:22
Just because someones been mooning for 10+ years doesn't make it a tradition worth continuing.:rolleyes:

Actually, mooning has been around for centuries longer than those infantile coal-powered trains. I think mooning probably developed shortly after pants.

Ticketing people for mooning has been ruled unconstitutional:

In 2006, a Maryland USA court of appeals determined that mooning is a form of expression protected by the United States constitutional right of freedom of speech.[4] The court ruled that indecent exposure only relates to exposure of the genitals, adding that even though mooning was a "disgusting" and "demeaning" act to engage in, and had in addition taken place in the presence of a minor,
"If exposure of half of the buttocks constituted indecent exposure, any woman wearing a thong at the beach at Ocean City would be guilty."
Defense attorneys had cited a 1983 case of a woman who was arrested after protesting in front of the U.S. Supreme Court wearing nothing but a cardboard sign that covered the front of her body. In that case, the Washington D.C. Court of Appeals had ruled that indecent exposure is limited to a person's genitals. No review of the case by a higher body, such as a Supreme Court took place, since the States Attorney dropped the prosecution after the ruling.

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooning)

Sly
11-16-2007, 17:22
Very good point
How come no one is mooning the auto road too? Automobiles spew pollution too, just can't see it.

You guys have lost the argument. You can't compare mooning the cog to what happen in Port Clinton and you can't compare the foul, black smoke spewing train to a modern vehicle.

If it were running next to your house, you'd be up in arms.

Tha Wookie
11-16-2007, 17:27
Very good point

I would bet that one single train ride pollutes more than every car put together for a year (if the assumption is true that it burns one ton of coal). Have you seen that smoke? nasty!

The Old Fhart
11-16-2007, 17:31
Tha Wookie-"In 2006, a Maryland USA court of appeals determined that mooning is a form of expression protected by the United States constitutional right of freedom of speech."That is not the U.S. Supreme Court and other states aren't bound to follow that decision. You're welcome to test it in NH is you are so sure of yourself.:D

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 17:33
You guys have lost the argument. You can't compare mooning the cog to what happen in Port Clinton

ain't lost nothin'. they are both bad behavior and make hikers look like idiots and one will get you a fine.

The Old Fhart
11-16-2007, 17:35
BINGO! Lone Wolf nails it.

Tha Wookie
11-16-2007, 17:46
That is not the U.S. Supreme Court and other states aren't bound to follow that decision. You're welcome to test it in NH is you are so sure of yourself.:D

they aren't bound to it..... check out those cases in the court now and see what happens. There's no reason to get my ass involved in NH's free speech conflicts.

Live free or die?

Tin Man
11-16-2007, 17:46
I am having trouble believing that most of the cog rail mooners are trying to make any environmental or other statement. I think they do it because it has been done before and they think it is funny and helps them relive (or continue) their youthful carelessness. No matter, it is inappropriate in this situation.

This begs the question: when is mooning appropriate? I think Mel Gibson got it right in Braveheart.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 17:50
I am having trouble believing that most of the cog rail mooners are trying to make any environmental or other statement. I think they do it because it has been done before and they think it is funny and helps them relive (or continue) their youthful carelessness. No matter, it is inappropriate in this situation.

it's just sheeple staying in line with other sheeple. they could give 2 poops about the environment and they don't care about others. it's all about their little thru-hike and how special they THINK they are. :rolleyes: bahh bahhh :D

Tin Man
11-16-2007, 17:52
it's just sheeple staying in line with other sheeple. they could give 2 poops about the environment and they don't care about others. it's all about their little thru-hike and how special they THINK they are. :rolleyes: bahh bahhh :D

Yup, sort of like the ice cream challenge at the mid-way point. Although, I think some take that challenge every chance they get. ;)

Alligator
11-16-2007, 18:43
That is not the U.S. Supreme Court and other states aren't bound to follow that decision. You're welcome to test it in NH is you are so sure of yourself.:DThe original article says the cases go to US District Court if the fine is not paid.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-16-2007, 18:50
Yup, sort of like the ice cream challenge at the mid-way point. Although, I think some take that challenge every chance they get. ;)Guilty as charged - lock me up :D

Tin Man
11-16-2007, 18:58
Guilty as charged - lock me up :D

I don't think gluttony is a crime. Well, maybe it should be if you eat your ice cream like George Castanza at the U.S. Open. ;)

woodsy
11-16-2007, 20:41
oh nevermind, just ranting

Frosty
11-16-2007, 21:17
key word. CHOOSE. nobody made you WALK up the mountain. I climb it for the women, 'cause chicks dig hikers.

Seriously, I never hardly notice the smoke. A little black cloud that dissipates and the wind blows all the guck in it over to Maine, anyway. Let Weary deal with it.

The whistle bugs me sometimes, but I never complain about chili and hot dogs at the top. Beats squished PB&J sandwiches.

TheTank
11-16-2007, 21:58
Seriously, I never hardly notice the smoke.
I have to comment on this one. Have you ever looked at Mt Washington from far away? It is easy to identify Mt Washington from anywhere in the White Mountains because when you are even too far to see the radio towers on top you can see the huge column of smoke coming up from where the train is. I distinctly remember looking out from the summit of Lafayette and seeing columns of black and white smoke corresponding to the trains going up and coming down Mt Washington. It is definitely noticeable.

I would agree it is destructive to the wilderness experience of the mountains, although so are all the buildings they have built, and I am not sure mooning the railway is the most efficient way to get the message of distaste for it across, but it is a method.

Groucho
11-16-2007, 22:01
I climb it for the women, 'cause chicks dig hikers.

The whistle bugs me sometimes, but I never complain about chili and hot dogs at the top. Beats squished PB&J sandwiches.

http://www.mountwashington.com/cog/cog-railway.wav

Sly
11-17-2007, 00:09
Just because someones been mooning for 10+ years doesn't make it a tradition worth continuing.

Choo, choo.. chugga, chugga, chugga, chugga .. Nice pic Old Fhart! :banana

Frosty
11-17-2007, 00:30
http://www.mountwashington.com/cog/cog-railway.wavYeah, that's it. Like an evil, giant, mechanical loon.

Sort off.