PDA

View Full Version : I just lost another 1.5 Lbs

Doctari
12-02-2003, 16:39
Or: Back to the basics.

With the help of this forum, and the UL one at Backpacker, I have gone from a 40+ Lb pack, to a sub 25 Lb pack. AND, as I now carry less and smaller gear, I can now get all of my gear into my first pack, a Kelty Brisbane. Which weighs 1.5 Lbs less than My Jansport full frame (don't remember the model).

So far it feels great, but that is just walking around the basement with it on :p
The surprising thing is, I still have room. The surprising thing is, I still have room. Yes I said the last twice, I'm so impressed by it. And, I can fit my water bladder in a pocket, when the bladder is full, with the Jansport, I could only get it in it's pocket when 80% full :banana

I am so headed for a 15Lb pack weight. And, I'm still as comfy in camp as I was with the 40+ Lb, but way more happy on the trail.

Doctari.

stickman
12-02-2003, 21:01
Way to go, Doctari! Any advice, gear list, etc, you can share for those of us who are still a few pounds heavier than that? I was 28 pounds for my last five day hike, counting everything but the water I carried for the day.

Doctari
12-02-2003, 23:12
Way to go, Doctari! Any advice, gear list, etc, you can share for those of us who are still a few pounds heavier than that? I was 28 pounds for my last five day hike, counting everything but the water I carried for the day.

Thanks!

I don't know how accurate it is, I may have removed some things, but here is my list, sorry, no weights my big scale ain't very accurate with some of the smaller stuff, & the small scale only weighs to 4 Oz; but according to big one, total weight is 20 Lbs before water, so I'm happy :clap

Backpack, Platypus water bladder with hose & bite valve, Dasani 1 Ltr bottle, Platypus canteen, Polar pure & filter, Tent, stakes, ground cloth, poles, cord, Trekking poles, Headlight & Spare batteries, Small 110 camera & 2 rolls of film, Pulsar light, Note pad, pen, pencil, 2 pair eyeglasses: foldable & other, Trail guide, Sunglasses, Lighter & Matches, Fuel bottle, Cook set, Scrubby, Spoon, Potholder, Pot cozy, Stove, Windscreen, Sleeping bag (in stuff sack & plastic bag), Sleeping pad, Toilet paper, & hand wipes, Camp towel, Flute & sheet music, Misc: Driver’s license, Phone list & Phone credit card. First aid & tool kit: 2 ~ 4X4s, 4 Band-Aids, Roll self stick Gauze, Hand wipes, Mole skin, “Excedrin quick tabs” & Tylenol, Hay fever med, Knife, Anti Diarrhea med & Antacid, Laxative, Bag Balm, Nail clippers, Scissors, Mini Tweezers, Matches, Safety pins (2), Sewing kit: 2 needles, Spool of thread (No spool, just thread), Heavy Duty thimble, Duct tape, 2 wire (zip) ties & 1 Garbage bag zip tie, Food Bag: Seasoned salt, garlic powder, Olive oil, Matches, Drink mix, 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Dinners, Snacks, tea. Assorted vitamins, 2 pair wool socks, Sleeping shirt, Bandana, Handkerchief, Rain jacket, Rain pants, Nylon Panty hose (yes, panty hose, keeps my legs warm down to 30 deg, as I don’t take long pants when I hike, any colder & I put on the rain pants too), Camp shoes, flashlight.

Notes: the stove is a pepsi stove. Cook pot is similar to the wal mart grease pot. Camp shoes are, go ahead & laugh, ballet slippers, total weight for my camp shoes is 4 Oz, and they fit in a sandwich size zip lock. Knife wieghs 1 Oz on a very accurat scale, don't know what it is, my son got it for me as a gift. Tent is a Nomad. "Rain jacket" is just a wind breaker someone gave me, it slows the rain down, sort of, , , very little, oh well. Much of my gear is from Big lots, with some modifications; pillow is: kids water wings cut along the seam, wt: 0.4 Oz. real comfy $0.93 at Big Lots gave me 4 pillows.

Doctari.