PDA

View Full Version : Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap

skymom
11-15-2007, 22:03
We're trying to finish up GA on a weekend. We've completed Springer to Unicoi. Thinking about daypacking it and doing Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap in one day. We've done some 10-12 mi days with full packs so we feel we can knock this out easier without all the weight. Anyone else done this section in a day?

whitefoot_hp
11-15-2007, 22:09
its defineately doable. i believe its about 16 miles and the terrain is fairly serious. i have done it in a day and a morning, with several friends at a more casual pace. we were by no means hauling butt.

Skidsteer
11-15-2007, 22:13
We're trying to finish up GA on a weekend. We've completed Springer to Unicoi. Thinking about daypacking it and doing Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap in one day. We've done some 10-12 mi days with full packs so we feel we can knock this out easier without all the weight. Anyone else done this section in a day?

Yep.

Many times. You can do it. Just get an early start.

Figure extra time to water at Addis Gap if you need it. It's @ half mile off trail.

Kerosene
11-15-2007, 22:18
Certainly doable. I did Blue Mountain Shelter to Dicks Creek (18 miles) on my 4th day out with a 26-pound pack. Started at sunrise in early April (7 am) and finished at 4 pm. I didn't go down into Addis Gap, even though the annual hiker bash was nearing its end. My good buddy, Hikerhead, doesn't like the up-hills, and he still finished by 8 pm.

Tinker
11-16-2007, 03:16

Last March, with a 35 lb. pack. It wasn't easy, but I wasn't in top shape, either.

skymom
11-16-2007, 23:26
Yep.

Many times. You can do it. Just get an early start.

Figure extra time to water at Addis Gap if you need it. It's @ half mile off trail.

Thanks for the input. I think we'll knock off Unicoi to Dicks Creek on one day and then maybe Dicks Creek to Deep Gap the next day depending on how we feel. Then we can check off GA from our list. With a little one at home, we can only do little bits at a time. :p

River Runner
11-17-2007, 03:46
If you aren't hung up on doing northbound, it might be easier to do Deep Gap to Dick's Creek. That is if you prefer more descending elevation than ascending elevation. I recently did that section as a slackpack when my hiking partner got bad blisters on the Unicoi to Dick's Creek section we did as an overnight.

Those will be two hard back to back days though. Good luck.

Nightwalker
11-17-2007, 11:09
I did it in '04 with a 38 pound pack and a 2-hour nap in the middle. Naps really help on long days. :)

oops56
11-17-2007, 11:37
I need help i dont backpack hike sometime not to far more camp ground thing. Now i been around the block but i just hit a stone wall. What is NOBO an SOBO

Lone Wolf
11-17-2007, 11:38
NORTHbound. SOUTHbound

Matt and Tiff
11-20-2007, 13:04
I dropped a friend of mine off at Unicoi Gap at 8:30 am and picked him up at Dick's Creek at 4:30 pm early April '07 with a 20 lb pack. He planned on stopping at Deep Gap shelter to bed down, but it was full. Dumbass didn't want to carry a tent, so he hauled ass to Dick's and got me on the cell phone (barely). It can be done without killing yourself, but why not slow down and enjoy it?

bigmac_in
11-20-2007, 13:46
The folks at Hiawassee Inn will haul you to Unicoi at 7:00 am and pick you up at 5:00 PM at Dick's Creek Gap. They told us in May that they do this all the time. We had just got off the trail at Unicoi, and were heading home, so we weren't interested, but might do it this spring. Cheap stay at the Inn as well. They even offered a day pack for the trip.

Summit
11-20-2007, 14:24
NORTHbound. SOUTHboundAnd all this time I thought it meant NOBOdy and SOmeBOdy! :D :p

Nearly Normal
11-21-2007, 02:56
You'll love Kelly Knob.

Nearly Normal