PDA

View Full Version : scary height areas

wmh
12-02-2003, 16:54
I would like to thru-hike the AT, but have a fear of heights, (well, not so much heights, but scary drop-offs where if you tripped, it would be possible to fall off the mountain) Example, I went up the Precipice Trail in Acadia National Park in Maine and it scared the @#!! out of me. I did get through it, but not without some major mental willpower.

I may want to do the scarier portions of the AT in small sections with an experienced hiker prior to my thruhike.

Can anyone list the areas that would qualify?

Thanks!

Peaks
12-02-2003, 17:26
I think that most places where there are drop-offs or cliffs, you don't really need to get out there on the edge. I'm thinking of places such as McAfee Knob, and the Precipice. Certainly don't go down Katahdin over the Knife Edge.

If climbing ladders bothers you, then you need to climb Goose Eye Mountain in the Mahoosic Range.

Hikerhead
12-02-2003, 19:29
I would like to thru-hike the AT, but have a fear of heights, (well, not so much heights, but scary drop-offs where if you tripped, it would be possible to fall off the mountain) Example, I went up the Precipice Trail in Acadia National Park in Maine and it scared the @#!! out of me. I did get through it, but not without some major mental willpower.

I may want to do the scarier portions of the AT in small sections with an experienced hiker prior to my thruhike.

Thanks!

I don't know where you are, but if you're anywhere towards the southern part of the trail you might want to consider the Summit Trail across Grandfathers Mtn near Boone, NC. That will take the scare right out of you and give you lots of ladder training.

Saluki Dave
12-02-2003, 20:52
...but there are plenty of spots along the trail where you seem to be walking on a 12 or 18 inch wide treadway dug into a 50 or 60 degree slope. Those are especially spooky when the leaves are on. My trick is to focus on the treadway. If I feel the need to look around, I stop completely. After a while, I sort of "desensitize" myself. I think it has to do mainly with us living in a more-or-less 2 dimensional world most of the time. The vertical dimension is part of the attraction, but it's definitely unfamiliar to most of us. You'll learn to enjoy it, I'm sure.

Footslogger
12-03-2003, 12:10
Agree with everything already said and would add that the northbound climb out of Lehigh Gap might get your attention as well ...

Frosty
12-03-2003, 16:13
Agree with everything already said and would add that the northbound climb out of Lehigh Gap might get your attention as well ...

Well, that's steep, but the question concerned scary places with drop-offs where one might fall a long ways to injury. Lehigh Gap is a steep climb, but not scary, IMO.

I've hiked less than half of AT, but the worse place I can think off is the hike down Wildcat to Carter Notch. Anyone else get vertigo here?

Anyone know of a worse place for one afraid of heights?

Lumber Jack

peter2003
12-03-2003, 18:30
The only area I can remember that had a little exposure was Katahdin; I guess you could throw in Balplate Mountain in Maine too.

VT pete03

Doc
12-05-2003, 13:21
I too share the concern about sharp drop-offs. The most exciting(read scary) for me was the knife edge on the big K but that's not on the AT. In my 1300 miles so far I remember Franconia Ridge in the Whites, Race Mt. in Mass, around Charlie's Bunion in the Smokies, and a short section on Bigelow. None of these have been particularly problematic, but I find that I do better with a partner, in either fog or bright sun, and when I'm rested and in shape. There have also been some exciting times coming down some some sections such as north down to Imp shelter in the Whites. Try to avoid such areas when you are physically or mentally stressed, look further ahead as you might do when riding a bike, and use distraction ideas such as thinking which piece of candy will be devoured when you finish the threatening section of trail.

Doc

dookie
12-05-2003, 18:02
I have the same problem, and would agree with footslogger. there is a section of the AT in Pa between 309 and Lehigh Gap, known as Knife Edge. Had the same reaction as yours the first time I hiked it. Have made it a point to do the section at least once every year since. Still scares me.

Thanks!

Doctari
12-07-2003, 18:52
Some of the scarier places I have seen so far are:
The ridge before Clingmans dome in the GSMNP. The climb up Albert Mt.

I'm not afraid of heights, but my wife is so I do somewhat notice them. But as a rule I don't really have a good judgement on what is scary. The two I mentioned are the only ones where I was aware that it was decidedly high.

Doctari.

Bankrobber
12-07-2003, 23:12
I think that the Dragon's Tooth can be nerve racking. The same goes for Tinker Cliffs, about 20 miles up the trail.
Much of Whites and Maine have climbs where a misplaced step could cause a bad fall. The AT (Hunt Trail) up Katahdin comes to mind, as well as all of the Mahoosucs.

illininagel
12-08-2003, 00:22
In general, I do not have a fear of heights. As long as the trail is in reasonably good condition, I trust my footing. What I do fear, however, are areas with treacherous footing that could lead to bad falls.

I gained an appreciation of these dangers hiking out West in Olympic National Park (the Blue Glacier Trail) and in the Grand Teton National Park (near the Alaskan Basin Area). Olympic National Park featured one particularly bad area well above the tree line with an eroded trail. The trail was very narrow, slanted and contained much loose gravel. The Grand Teton trail was also well above the tree line. It was also narrow, slanted with snow and ice covering the trail in sections.

Both of these trails were very scary because it would be difficult to estimate how far you would fall. I am estimating maybe 1,500 feet before you would even hit the treeline. My friends and I couldn't believe that the odds of someone falling in these sections could be much lower than 1 out of 100. All of us crossed by getting down on our hands and knees and carefully crawling across sections of about 75 feet in length. I was very surprised that we were not warned about the trail conditions while planning our hike in the backcountry offices within those National Parks. Of course, once you cross one of those dreaded areas, there's really no going back without doing it all over again.

I would dread running into these areas on the AT. In my limited experience on the AT through Shenandoah, there was nothing even remotely scary to me. But, during a solo hike, it seems like even a relatively short fall could be tragic.

rickb
12-08-2003, 16:41
I have never been on the Precipice Trail, but I have put my spotting scope on it. I have also seen pictures. Thankfully, the only time I might have been cajoled into giving it a shot, some nesting perigrine faclons came to my rescue.

That said, I don't think there is anything similar on the AT. Are there places where a fall would cause a world of hurt? Of course. A fall from 30 feet onto a steep slope could kill you. But thats logic speaking. On the AT I just am not so sure that you have the kind of white-nuckle vertical exposure like on the Precipice Trail.

Perhaps someone could make a direct comparison for you.

One thing about those areas that might cause some discomfort on the AT is that they don't go on for very far. In otherwords, I don't think anyplace could compare to the Precipice Trail where you awould be subjected to vertigo causing conditions for a long period of time. To put it another way, I think that you were able to climb the Precipice trail (even reluctantly) makes you a stronger person than I am, and should do just fine.

If you do experience anxiety on the AT, I think that you will find the conditions which cause it pass very quickly.

If you do want to get a feeling for things however, you might want to try the Franconia Ridge in NH. You do get a sense of being up there, and if the wind is roaring like a freight train, it can magnify ones' reaction at those few places where the trail snakes closer to the edge than you might like. Besides, chances are that when you come back you may not see more than 30 feet, for the clouds. Which can be a good thing, right? ;-).

Rick B

Jester2000
12-09-2003, 19:21
I understand there are some nice trails in Kansas that you might want to try.

wmh
12-10-2003, 10:50
Thanks so much to all who responded. Unlike fears that are created by corporations trying to sell you stuff to alleviate said fear, an irrational seizure of panic on a high trail cannot be overcome by buying something. It is not the same as being "afraid" of bears, bad water, bad weather, etc. It is a scary panic which is immobilizing and has nothing to do with fear of leaving the comforts of home or weakness. I choose to hike the Trail despite this "problem" because I refuse to be dissuaded by it. Hiking in Kansas would be a cop-out, that is why my thread is SEEKING OUT the areas that I may have a problem with, not asking which areas to AVOID.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Jester2000
12-11-2003, 18:22
Nonetheless, there really are some nice trails in Kansas.
And you might find that the people there (and I know I'm generalizing) have a great sense of humor.

wmh
12-12-2003, 10:41
Nonetheless, there really are some nice trails in Kansas.
And you might find that the people there (and I know I'm generalizing) have a great sense of humor.

You're right! Thanks for the laugh
:)

screwysquirrel
12-19-2003, 03:03
Charlie's Bunion in the snow is a great one.

Patco
01-16-2004, 22:55
Does anyone remember the scene in The Last of the Mohicians, toward the end, where Hawkeye and dad are chasing the bad indians and their prisoner? They walk (and do some running) along a narrow trail that follows the edge of a gorge with a waterfall. I think this is in the Nantahala Forest and I keep looking for a white blaze along there somewhere. Maybe it was removed for filming, but either Albert Mtn or Standing Indian has something like that doesn't it? Awesome movie too! Several Indians and one white girl go over the edge (about a 750 ft drop) due to fighting. The scenery and drama is just too good.

chknfngrs
01-18-2004, 19:26
a lot was filmed at chimney rock as well.

weary
01-18-2004, 22:26
Thanks so much to all who responded. Unlike fears that are created by corporations trying to sell you stuff to alleviate said fear, an irrational seizure of panic on a high trail cannot be overcome by buying something. It is not the same as being "afraid" of bears, bad water, bad weather, etc. It is a scary panic which is immobilizing and has nothing to do with fear of leaving the comforts of home or weakness. I choose to hike the Trail despite this "problem" because I refuse to be dissuaded by it. Hiking in Kansas would be a cop-out, that is why my thread is SEEKING OUT the areas that I may have a problem with, not asking which areas to AVOID. Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

I'm a little leary of heights, but I can't think of any place on the trail that is terribly scary. You would have to work, or at least be seriously careless to fall very far even on the Knife Edge side trail on Katahdin. Moody Mountain in Maine gave me some qualms when I first climbed it 20 years ago, but it has been improved since then.

As I remember, it is the Charlie Bunyon side trail that is most exposed, not the AT itself.

The Mahoosucs tend to get more difficult as the vegetation erodes away, though I understand some ladders have been built since I was last there. The Hunt Trail is difficult, especially for short people and those without sufficient arm power. But again the longest fall is seven or eight feet, hardly deadly unless one is terribly unlucky.

Weary

brian
01-18-2004, 22:36
Comming down carter dome to carter notch after a VERY dry 18 mile day in 90deg. weather was not fun. I could see someone swimming in one of the lakes, and almost tripped down a real steep part. Going up or down, take your time!

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

Patco
01-19-2004, 14:41
a lot was filmed at chimney rock as well.

Hey, thanks for the info. I looked at the Chimney Rock park site and found the exact shot from the movie as they were on the trail along the Hickory Nut Gorge and waterfalls. No AT.

:sun

Capt Chaos
01-20-2004, 19:48
Dont climb up Shuckstack Tower in the Smokies. I still think Aswah was one crazy dude for eating lunch on top of the tower's roof!! Crazy fool.

Also, there is a nice ridge line past Charlie's Bunion in the smokies.

Over and Out,
Captain of The Chaos

eyahiker
03-17-2004, 18:00
-------------------------------------------------

Well, that's steep, but the question concerned scary places with drop-offs where one might fall a long ways to injury. Lehigh Gap is a steep climb, but not scary, IMO.

I've hiked less than half of AT, but the worse place I can think off is the hike down Wildcat to Carter Notch. Anyone else get vertigo here?

Anyone know of a worse place for one afraid of heights?

Lumber Jack

funkyfreddy
03-18-2004, 02:26
Where is Wildcat to Carter Notch? Which section/state?
Newbie.......

It's in the New Hampshire White Mountains, just east of Mt. Washington and Pinkham Notch. I didn't find the trail itself very scary, although I think there are a few lookouts in this section that can you give you vertigo if you're so inclined.

screwysquirrel
03-18-2004, 02:39
Try the Charlies Bunion blueblaze with some snow and some ice chunks, it'll keep you alert. Back in 2000 I almost met my maker there by slipping on a ice covered rock when the AT was closed.

eyahiker
03-28-2004, 17:36
----------------------------------------:)

tombone
03-29-2004, 00:16
might be the new firescald ridge section, especially in severe weather (although there is a blue blazed bad weather trail route which is the old AT).