PDA

View Full Version : The famous guidebook special

Powder River
11-15-2007, 22:04
So I'm hiking in 08 and am trying to figure out maps. I realize you can hike with just a databook, but I am the type of person who wants a map anyways. That being said, it looks like there is some sort of end of the year sale on the whole set of maps/guidebooks at the Conservancy.

They have the "Famous guidebook special" for $190.00 + 30.00 membership. This includes "All 11 Appalachian Trail guide sets, including books and maps, plus the 2008 Data Book"

Then, there is the "Map by the bundle- whole trial" for $165.45 + $30.00 membership. This has maps for all 14 states, with the Maine guidebook.

So, my question is does the famous guidebook special include the SAME maps as the map bundle set? Or are the maps they refer to just the maps inside/with the guidebooks? I really don't plan on carrying the guidebooks with me, but for $25 for a whole set that might be hard to pass up. However, if these are inferior maps that come with the guidebook set, then I would probably buy just the maps. Any thoughts? Will the ATC have a bigger sale at the end of the year, or is this it?

Thanks!

Jack Tarlin
11-15-2007, 22:09
The maps are the same no matter which "set" you purchase.

And you're right, very few thru-hikers carry the Guidebooks, tho it is true they contain some fascinating stuff. For an extra 25 bucks I'd get the books as you may well find them useful later on, if you ever decide to re-do favorite sections.

In any case, it's a good deal; you're wise to be carrying the maps, and you'll be helping the A.T.C. at the same time.

Uncle Silly
11-16-2007, 15:43
Personally I bought the bookless map set. The guidebooks just weren't worth it to me, but since I haven't read them I don't know what sort of "fascinating stuff" might be in there that I'm missing out on. Jack's right, either set is a good deal. You won't be likely to carry the guidebooks on the trail, but if you might like having the references around, $25 isn't a whole lot more to spend.

max patch
11-16-2007, 16:02
Personally I bought the bookless map set. The guidebooks just weren't worth it to me, but since I haven't read them I don't know what sort of "fascinating stuff" might be in there that I'm missing out on. Jack's right, either set is a good deal. You won't be likely to carry the guidebooks on the trail, but if you might like having the references around, $25 isn't a whole lot more to spend.

I think its a no brainer to wait for the annual sale inasmuch as you almost get the guidebooks for thrown in for free. I carried my guidebooks because of the "fascinating stuff" that is in them. For example:

3.7 Cross Tray Mtn Rd. Continue to climb. To left of Trail is site of old "cheese factory." This was the site of a remote mountain farm, operated by a transplanted New Englander in the early 19th century.

I enjoyed these mini "history lessons" as I hiked.

Nearly 20 years after my thru I still refer to the guidebooks regularly as they contain info on every road crossing on the trail. Anything north of Standing Indian I use the guidebooks for access information.

Jack Tarlin
11-16-2007, 16:08
Another great thing about the Guidebooks is they contain all sorts of information about what one is actually SEEING while on the A.T. 99% of thru-hikers have no idea what they're really looking at, i.e. if they're on a ridge or mountain top, and looking out on miles and miles of other ridges and mountains, they haven't a clue at what those mountains are, their names, heights, etc. If I'm out again next spring, I think I'll actually carry the guidebooks for precisely this reason......I really want to find out what I've been looking at all these years.

jersey joe
11-16-2007, 16:09
I loaned out my used complete map set two years ago to a 2005 thru hiker and then sold my complete map set with guidebooks to someone who was attempting a thru hike this past year. Sold them for a little over $100, not sure the exact number but it was at a discount for what the Conservancy sells them for. Figured I was giving(or selling cheaper)back to the trail community. Perhaps you could find someone on whiteblaze who would sell you their used maps for a discount, or even loan them out to you.

I iagree with Uncle Silly, I didnt find the guidebooks worthwhile, but I didn't read them either.

LIhikers
11-16-2007, 17:15
I carried my guidebooks because of the "fascinating stuff" that is in them.

My wife and I are section hikers and she always carries the guide book for the section we're in for the very same reason.

Powder River
11-16-2007, 18:29
I think its a no brainer to wait for the annual sale inasmuch as you almost get the guidebooks for thrown in for free.

So is there a bigger sale than this to come?

max patch
11-16-2007, 18:53
So is there a bigger sale than this to come?

No. Sale started a week or so ago and continues until Dec 20. Supposed to be a lot of new Guidebooks this year; good year to take advantage of the sale.

Tin Man
11-16-2007, 18:56
Another great thing about the Guidebooks is they contain all sorts of information about what one is actually SEEING while on the A.T. 99% of thru-hikers have no idea what they're really looking at, i.e. if they're on a ridge or mountain top, and looking out on miles and miles of other ridges and mountains, they haven't a clue at what those mountains are, their names, heights, etc. If I'm out again next spring, I think I'll actually carry the guidebooks for precisely this reason......I really want to find out what I've been looking at all these years.

Yep, been there done that. My plan is now to copy the pertinent pages before my next section so I can stop and say, "gee, ain't that fascinating?" :)

Frosty
11-16-2007, 19:13
I didnt find the guidebooks worthwhile, but I didn't read them either.I would be amazed if you found them worthwhile without reading them :-?

jersey joe
11-16-2007, 19:34
I would be amazed if you found them worthwhile without reading them :-?

Good point Frosty, to clarify, I didn't find them worth carrying on my thru hike because of their weight. I'm sure there is some worthwhile information in them.

EWS
11-16-2007, 23:59
If heading SOBO, will there be enough maps in hiker boxes to not need to carry or bounce them?

lunchbx
11-17-2007, 11:48
though i dont really know the answer to your question ews i can still throw my blind opinion in, haha. If i had to guess i would say that you would prob get lucky and find a map here and there but its nothing to count on. The way things go (especially for me) the one time you get lost or injured and need a quick escape with the help of a map will be the one time you dont luck out and find one in a hiker box. I am also a cheap S.O.B. and will most likley count on my instincts, prowess?, dumb luck to find my way around instead of shellin' out big bucks when i attempt my thru

lunchbx
11-17-2007, 11:51
seperate question of my own: how much does the complete map set weigh if you wanted to carry all of them at once and not spend money mailing them anywhere. (see above post about me being a cheap S.O.B.) also how bulky r they even with cutting off all edgest like every nuerotic hiker should?

Jack Tarlin
11-17-2007, 13:52
The whole map set would weigh several pounds (like around five) and would take up space equivalent to a shoe box.

Carrrying ALL the maps is nuts.......what on earth are you gonna do with a Connecticut map in Southwest Virginia?

Carry them two or three at a time and have them mailed to you as needed; the expense is not that great.

Just a Hiker
11-17-2007, 14:19
I never use the guidebooks while hiking, but I have found that they come in handy for other reasons. For the past couple of years I have begun collecting older books about the Appalachian Trail, but since the trail has changed so much since the 40's, 50's and 60's, I sort of felt lost because I didn't recognize alot of the places they were describing in the books. So, I started collecting old AT guidebooks as well to help me along with the old AT stories I was reading. They have really come in handy and the old guidebooks are pretty cool. I just scored a 1968 set in pristine condition and they are really helping with the stories I am currently reading. By the way, the old guidebooks come with the maps attached in the book, so you just fold out the map and fold it back in when you are finished. Sort of neat! :D

Just Jim

rafe
11-17-2007, 14:25
The whole map set would weigh several pounds (like around five) and would take up space equivalent to a shoe box...

It's true -- the maps make it hard to get away from mail drops completely. Not surprisingly, the maps are heavy because they're printed on that high-tech waterproof material. Some of them could be made lighter if they were printed on both sides (not all of them are.)

Frosty
11-17-2007, 16:55
Good point Frosty, to clarify, I didn't find them worth carrying on my thru hike because of their weight. I'm sure there is some worthwhile information in them.I knew what you meant. Sometimes I can't help being a dick.

EWS
11-17-2007, 23:54
I don't mind spending the money, I just don't want to have to deal with the Post Office. Are they readily available along the way?

Peaks
11-18-2007, 10:44
I don't mind spending the money, I just don't want to have to deal with the Post Office. Are they readily available along the way?

Most outfitters carry the individual guidebooks with maps.

mountain squid
11-18-2007, 13:00
Are they readily available along the way? As Peaks noted, most Outfitters will probably have them, but what will you do when the Outfitter does not have the map you need?

Take advantage of the ATC's special. If you don't want to deal with the PO, mail them to a hostel instead.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Uncle Silly
11-18-2007, 13:05
As Peaks noted, most Outfitters will probably have them, but what will you do when the Outfitter does not have the map you need?

Bingo. Trail-side outfitters are like any other retail business -- they may normally stock trail maps, but there's no guarantee any particular map will be on the shelf when you need it.

If you don't want to send a map-drop to the post office, as Mt Squid mentioned, mail to a hostel. Or mail the package to a local outfitter (some will hold packages for hikers; call first to check).

Blissful
11-18-2007, 13:14
seperate question of my own: how much does the complete map set weigh if you wanted to carry all of them at once and not spend money mailing them anywhere. (see above post about me being a cheap S.O.B.) also how bulky r they even with cutting off all edgest like every nuerotic hiker should?

You are NOT gonna want to carry that kind of weight. Budget your money so you can mail them to yourself.

Blissful
11-18-2007, 13:16
If heading SOBO, will there be enough maps in hiker boxes to not need to carry or bounce them?

I never saw any maps in hiker boxes. I did see parts of guidebooks, ALDHA guidebook sections (usually the section you don't need 'cause you just went through it), etc. They were mostly strewn around shelters.

Uncle Silly
11-18-2007, 16:21
I never saw any maps in hiker boxes. I did see parts of guidebooks, ALDHA guidebook sections (usually the section you don't need 'cause you just went through it), etc. They were mostly strewn around shelters.

I saw several maps in shelters and hiker boxes along the way, both in '05 and '07. It happens, but not enough to rely on it.

Peaks
11-18-2007, 18:15

Rather than drop discarded sections of the ALDHA Companion (or the new Wingfoot) into a hiker box is to mark it up with corrections and mail it back to the editor. Unless they hear from hikers, the same errors are going to be repeated in future additions.

bobgessner57
11-18-2007, 19:51
Many of the ATC maps don't cover much area beyond the trail corridor so aren't too useful if one is wanting to know about the peaks on the horizon.
Someone makes topos on a much smaller scale that aren't too useful for trip planning but are interesting as a means of spotting far off points of interest and getting the big picture. I don't have any and can't say who prints them or what the scale is but will probably pick some up one of these days next time I see one at an outfitter. I enjoy being able to look out and trace a previous trip on other trails or distant parts of the AT.

The guidebooks are variable on the quantity and quality of background info but I find it interesting to know a bit about the history, geology, and unique natural features of various areas. I xerox pages for short trips, might consider bouncing the books or highlights from them for a long trek.

Peanut
11-20-2007, 23:27
Does anyone know when the '08 Companion comes out?

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2007, 15:32
I believe it's early January.

weary
11-21-2007, 16:06
No. At least they weren't in 1993. I don't remember seeing any ATC maps. Some of the Shenandoah Park stores had commercial maps of the park.

NW2NE
11-29-2007, 19:13
I'm also curious about having the guidebooks vs. maps alone. I'm unable to thru-hike the entire trail due to job commitments...however, I'll be attempting the trail in sections a week at a time throughout the entire summer.

Can the maps alone be used to determine where to start/end sections? and
plan how to allot time?? or do I need to have the guidebooks for planning the when/how far/how long details? Or can all that be learned from the databook and companion without the extra $200?

Christopher Robin
12-03-2007, 17:04
I am having trouble finding a map for Maine AT. You would not beleve the web.sites I have been on.

Jack Tarlin
12-03-2007, 17:10
Go to www.appalachiantrail.org

Then, go to the section of the website called "Ultimate Trail Store"

The Maine maps are sold as a set with the Maine Guidebook. The maps are excellent, certainly the best of any section of the Trail.

These are the maps you'll want for Maine and this is the place to get 'em.

Marta
12-03-2007, 17:50
I'm also curious about having the guidebooks vs. maps alone. I'm unable to thru-hike the entire trail due to job commitments...however, I'll be attempting the trail in sections a week at a time throughout the entire summer.

Can the maps alone be used to determine where to start/end sections? and
plan how to allot time?? or do I need to have the guidebooks for planning the when/how far/how long details? Or can all that be learned from the databook and companion without the extra $200?

You could try a section with just the Data Book and Companion and see how that works for you.

I'm firmly in the pro-map camp, however.

When I was section-hiking, I didn't really use the guides. Mostly I went with the maps, supplemented by a Gazzeteer (that is not spelled correctly, but whatever) for the state, and sometimes by the book on section-hiking the southern AT. (I have seen other volumes in the series for the north.) The section-hiking book suggests access points and gives directions, but a detailed road map of the area is essential. For shuttle providers and other non-map information, the Companion or equivalent is helpful.

Have a good hike!

ki0eh
12-04-2007, 09:25
Ah yes, the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer. When I moved to Boiling Springs in '98 I remember looking in that, and was excited to see that the A.T. went through "Churchtown (Allen)" only a couple of miles away. So then I rode my bike around town and saw this nice little path alongside the lake leading to this cute little house with a sign out in front. Made out the routed but unpainted letters "Appalachian Trail Conference, Mid-Atlantic Regional Office" and went inside to learn I had just ridden on the A.T. Then I wondered if I would get in trouble. :O

minnesotasmith
12-04-2007, 10:40
National Geographic makes and sells maps of the Smokies and White Mountains that I carried and found invaluable, in addition to Wingfoot's book and the ATC maps. The NG maps contain much information not found on the ATC maps, from water sources and hiking spots to named side trails crossing the AT. Especially in the Whites, I would likely have gotten lost a couple times had I only had just the ATC maps.

Route Step
12-04-2007, 10:42
I carried Wingfoot's handbook. I also carried maps of the trail. But I started taking a state road map as they have the AT depicted on them. I just cut the map down leaving the AT trail and as much of the state roads as I wanted. I used these clippings for big picture orientation as the ATC maps are pretty much confined to the AT.

minnesotasmith
12-04-2007, 13:48
I started taking a state road map as they have the AT depicted on them. I just cut the map down leaving the AT trail and as much of the state roads as I wanted. I used these clippings for big picture orientation as the ATC maps are pretty much confined to the AT.

Another point on maps: starting north of Maryland, ATC maps began to be hard to find in even real outfitters (leaving aside the failed wannabes like Cabela's, which were far worse for having maps, let alone other serious hiker gear). The hikers who did have NJ/NY, etc. trail maps seemed to mostly have ordered the set for the whole AT pre-hike from the ATC. If I thruhike the AT again, that's what I'll do, instead of relying upon buying them a few at a time from outfitters near the Trail as I go along.

Jack Tarlin
12-04-2007, 18:24
Cabela's is a "failed wannabee"?

Um, for that to be true, one would have to assume Cabela's set out to be a hiking or backpacking store.

Which it isn't.

It is primarily a store for sportsmen, i.e. hunters and fishermen, and also has goods that are of interest to boaters and car campers.

Smitty is right about the ATC being the best place to buy maps, and he's right again when he says that not all Trail Outfiters stock them or stock enough of them, but to blame a store for not having "serious" hiking gear when the vast majority of its customers aren't interested in such things hardly seems fair. I don't hold it against REI that they don't sell guns and ammo; likewise, I'm not gonna hold it against Cabela's that they don't carry water filter cartridges or Osprey Packs.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 18:28
Most of the guys I work with know Cabelas, never heard of REI until I told them about it. I would hardly consider them a failure. They just aren't a backpacker's outfitter and never claimed to be one.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 18:33
You mean Cabela's tents (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat550002_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat550002&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat550002&id=0005884) aren't ultralight? :eek:

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 18:38
That is the tent I was planning to use for my winter start.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 18:43
That is the tent I was planning to use for my winter start.

For winter starts, the stove (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat550002&rid=&indexId=cat550002&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=9&parentType=index&parentId=cat550002&id=0005876) would definitely come in handy.

Marta
12-04-2007, 19:14
You would want a stove at least that big to heat that tent.

The Porta-Potty and the refrigerator would be the heavy items, though.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 19:18
You would want a stove at least that big to heat that tent.

The Porta-Potty and the refrigerator would be the heavy items, though.

Well, you could always use the outhouse or dig a cat hole. If it is cold enough for a stove, you might be fine without the refrigerator. Besides, you would want to save room for the option floor (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=PMIIUAKLOO5UVLAQBBISCN3MCAEFEI WE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=catfeatcamp&id=0045503517530a&navCount=15&podId=0045503&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat550002&hasJS=true&_requestid=110483) and guest rooms (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=catfeatcamp&id=0045503517516a&navCount=2&podId=0045503&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat550002&hasJS=true).

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 19:19
I was going to trim the porta pottie to save some weight. Maybe leave the seat cover off

minnesotasmith
12-04-2007, 19:20
Cabela's is a "failed wannabee"?

Cabela's is way less than it could be, a huge amount of mostly wasted space. IMO it's an outfitter equivalent of what LL Bean has become WRT clothing, mainly a store selling pricey stuff to yuppie wannabes, only secondarily to serious outdoorsmen, and hardly at all to hikers. The section of hiking and camping gear in every Cabela's I've ever been in looks as if it was all picked out by someone who's never been out of sight of buildings in their life, it's so ineptly selected.

Try and find ATC maps for sale in a Cabela's within 50 miles of the AT as stand-alone items. Try finding a lightweight alcohol stove or some Aqua Mira while you're at it.

I would love to know how many customers of any given Cabela's have ever spent so much as a month straight in the outdoors. Odds are it's less than at the by-comparison tiny but well-run Mountain Crossings store...

Jack Tarlin
12-04-2007, 19:23
Smitty:

Do you ever bother to read what other people have posted?

The reason Cabela's doesn't carry stuff you'd likely find at a backpacking specialty store is because it isn't one.

Got it?

minnesotasmith
12-04-2007, 19:37
Cabela's pretends to be an outfitter for serious outdoorsmen. That would presumably include gear for people who get more than half a day's walk away from their SUVs. C.'s advertisements I have seen do NOT say they are just a rod and gun supply store, but that's just about what they are in reality.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 19:46
Cabela's pretends to be an outfitter for serious outdoorsmen. That would presumably include gear for people who get more than half a day's walk away from their SUVs. C.'s advertisements I have seen do NOT say they are just a rod and gun supply store, but that's just about what they are in reality.
I am pretty sure that is because we all already knew that. I think the gun rack gives it away.

Jack Tarlin
12-04-2007, 19:49
They ARE for the seerious outdoorsman, Smitty, as long as those ourdoorsmen happen to be into hunting, fishing, or car camping.

There are all sort of "outdoorsmen" out there. Hang gliders are outdoorsmen. So are rock climbers or sea kayakers. So are snowboarders and jet skiiers.

Cabelas doesn't have much for these people either.

Just as it doesn't have much for the serious backpacker because it's not primarily an outfitter for serious backpackers.

Likewise, my local Chinese Restaurant is a lousy place to get a pastrami sub.

And the convenience store on the corner sells Mad Dog 20/20, but it's a lousy place to buy imported Champagne, cuz that's not what they're all about.

Geez, I didn't think this was such a tough concept to grasp.

saimyoji
12-04-2007, 19:59
I started taking a state road map as they have the AT depicted on them. I just cut the map down leaving the AT trail and as much of the state roads as I wanted. I used these clippings for big picture orientation as the ATC maps are pretty much confined to the AT.

Another point on maps: starting north of Maryland, ATC maps began to be hard to find in even real outfitters (leaving aside the failed wannabes like Cabela's, which were far worse for having maps, let alone other serious hiker gear). The hikers who did have NJ/NY, etc. trail maps seemed to mostly have ordered the set for the whole AT pre-hike from the ATC. If I thruhike the AT again, that's what I'll do, instead of relying upon buying them a few at a time from outfitters near the Trail as I go along.

Cabela's is way less than it could be, a huge amount of mostly wasted space. IMO it's an outfitter equivalent of what LL Bean has become WRT clothing, mainly a store selling pricey stuff to yuppie wannabes, only secondarily to serious outdoorsmen, and hardly at all to hikers. The section of hiking and camping gear in every Cabela's I've ever been in looks as if it was all picked out by someone who's never been out of sight of buildings in their life, it's so ineptly selected.

Try and find ATC maps for sale in a Cabela's within 50 miles of the AT as stand-alone items. Try finding a lightweight alcohol stove or some Aqua Mira while you're at it.

I would love to know how many customers of any given Cabela's have ever spent so much as a month straight in the outdoors. Odds are it's less than at the by-comparison tiny but well-run Mountain Crossings store...

I bought my SP GigaPower at Cabelas, along with my MiniSolo cookset. I've purchased AquaMira there in addition to Potable Aqua. They carry a wide variety of hiking supplies, even those that lightweight backpackers would need. They are not focused on the subsect of outdoorsy people who consider themselves UL Thruhikers, but they are doing a pretty good job of getting there.

Of course, I am speaking from experience shopping at the Cabela's nearest the AT in PA, in Hamburg. Perhaps this is the one you refer to as targeting yuppy wannabies. Well, I was there just this past weekend and can tell you that your comments are so far off reality that you should consider editing your post. Don't take my word for it though, come on over and visit it yourself.

Of course, we must keep in mind that one Cabelas, while modeled after a standard format, will not be exactly like the others. I would accept an explanation that since they came to Hamburg only a few years ago, that they are adjusting their stock to suit their clientel: AT Thruhikers.

saimyoji
12-04-2007, 20:02
Meant to add that when they did come to Hamburg, their selection of hiking gear was much more limited than it is today. I spoke with several floor salespeople who complained about the recent changes. The hiking section was upstairs for a while, then moved downstairs while the upstairs was designated as only camo gear, then they moved the camping section back upstairs and beefed it up.

minnesotasmith
12-04-2007, 20:39
Including the notorious one near the AT in the mid-Atlantic states. Every one was less worthwhile than a Super Wal-Mart for picking up hiking supplies I needed; at least I could get hiking food at WM...

I guess I just don't care for misrepresentation. I can see how the marketing department at Cabela's wouldn't want to go to top management proposing an ad campaign that depicted its customers as holding a firearm or Zebco spinning rod in one hand, and their other hand resting upon their spotless Suburban (for security)... :rolleyes: ;)

Jack Tarlin
12-04-2007, 20:59
How come you're the only one complaining?

I know dozens of thru-hikers who've been to the same store....in most cases, they got what they were looking for; in many cases they knew beforehand what the store was likely to have and what it was unlikely to have, so they weren't disappointed; they ate really well; and they were treated great by the staff.

In other words, this place was hardly "notorious."

And there's nothing disingenuous about their marketing. If you Google "Cabelas" you'll see that they describe themselves in no uncertain terms as a place for hunters, fisherman, and campers, i.e. car campers. NOT backpackers; not a specialty store for hikers.

You might have been displeased with them, but your argument seems to be a lonely one. And your contention that they market themselves dishonestly is absurd.

saimyoji
12-04-2007, 23:06
Including the notorious one near the AT in the mid-Atlantic states. Every one was less worthwhile than a Super Wal-Mart for picking up hiking supplies I needed; at least I could get hiking food at WM...

I guess I just don't care for misrepresentation. I can see how the marketing department at Cabela's wouldn't want to go to top management proposing an ad campaign that depicted its customers as holding a firearm or Zebco spinning rod in one hand, and their other hand resting upon their spotless Suburban (for security)... :rolleyes: ;)

Yep, when you went "thru" that may have been your impression. They are much better equiped now, though I doubt you'd take my comments into consideration. We are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how misguided they may be. Perhaps your suggestions would fall on welcome ears at Cabelas HQ?

Nightwalker
12-05-2007, 01:28
I just ordered the 190.00 set.

A Christmas present for myself!

ki0eh
12-05-2007, 10:24
I would accept an explanation that since they came to Hamburg only a few years ago, that they are adjusting their stock to suit their clientel: AT Thruhikers.

That must have been after the A.T. Journeys article came out mentioning that establishment as part of the destination Trail town of Port Clinton. :)

Seriously, I have seen a PA A.T. map and guide set (packaged together) for sale in their book section, which has always been tiny and far down in front away from everything else.

Of course I haven't been back there since the camping section moved back upstairs, so things may have changed.

Blissful
12-05-2007, 10:41
At the Cabelas near Port Clinton I got the following on my hike - stove fuel, bug repellant, socks, a wicking t-shirt on sale and insoles for both of us. I was happy.