PDA

View Full Version : Early Winter

Tennessee Viking
11-16-2007, 00:33
Just after a good 3 day series of rain, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia got their first signs of an early winter. WCYB-TV of Bristol TN showed Carvers Gap on the Roans with nice flurries and a good light layer of snow on the balds.

If anyone is coming off the higher elevations, post up some pics of the snow fall.

thestin
11-16-2007, 00:51
Snow in November in the central and southern Appalachians is not unusual, and is certainly not a sign of an early or hard winter.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 05:29
this is very normal weather for this time of year. if anything it's a bit warmer

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 05:47
I wouldn't call a trace of snow in the elevations in mid-november signs of an early winter.

JAK
11-16-2007, 05:50
What is meant by a hard winter in the Southern AT?
Extreme cold temperatures, or lots of strong winds and heavy precipitation?

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 05:52
What is meant by a hard winter in the Southern AT?
Extreme cold temperatures, or lots of strong winds and heavy precipitation?

Yes. . . . .

JAK
11-16-2007, 05:55
Then yeah, they'll probably get it. :)

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 05:57
Then yeah, they'll probably get it. :)

Did you guys get any of the remnants of that hurricane/nor'easter thingy last week?

JAK
11-16-2007, 06:19
Yes.
Two Sundays ago I hiked the Fundy Trail Parkway on the day after the tail end of that hurricane. It was a nice sunny day. Would have been fatal for kayaking though because it was an offshore breeze.
Last Saturday my daughter and I did the same again, only this time on the day of the Nor'easter. It was colder, somewhat less sun and wind, but we got snow on the hike back to the car. Beautiful hiking weather all said and done.

Marta
11-16-2007, 07:29
Yeah, it's going to be a hard winter because the drought has stressed the plant and animal life. The only winter that wouldn't be hard would be to have about half an inch of rain every two or three days for the next couple of months, to catch us up.

AT-HITMAN2005
11-16-2007, 07:38
the weather in central florida, seems to me is out of norm. it hasn't gotten this cool this early in the season in many years.

temp right now in orlando, 41* according to weather channel. i haven't had my AC on in 2 weeks. that usually doesn't start happening til late Dec. early Jan.

LIhikers
11-16-2007, 08:10
Yes.
It was colder, somewhat less sun and wind, but we got snow on the hike back to the car. Beautiful hiking weather all said and done.

Yep, each season brings with it different joys and beauties. All we have to do is go out and enjoy them.

canerunner
11-16-2007, 09:02
the weather in central florida, seems to me is out of norm. it hasn't gotten this cool this early in the season in many years.

temp right now in orlando, 41* according to weather channel. i haven't had my AC on in 2 weeks. that usually doesn't start happening til late Dec. early Jan.

One if the weather prognisticators on the Weather Channel the other day said that cooler temps in the southeast are about 10-12 days ahead of normal this year.

I am expecting a cooler than normal winter, and hopefully, we'll get some rain during the winter to catch us up a little. Fall is usually the driest time of the year, so being dry at this time isn't unusual. Being this dry for this long is.

TOW
11-16-2007, 10:20
I think it maybe a hard winter due to the fact that we have not had the moisture that we need. It'll be harder down south of here, they are really dry.

Now on the other hand if we get a good amount of rain or snow, that would help matters a whole lot come spring.

Uncle Silly
11-16-2007, 14:50
No, this won't be a hard winter. Except maybe for homeless folks in mountain towns that have to deal with the potential for life-threatening overnight temperatures. Americans for the most part haven't had to deal with the things that make winters hard. We don't lack food because of the drought -- it's maybe more expensive, but it's not like the grocery store will run out over the winter because their crops failed and their livestock died. The snows won't be bad enough that transportation will be cut off (and thus no access to emergency medical care). That's just not part of our world anymore.

Or by "hard winter" did you mean something else? What an innane poll.