PDA

View Full Version : Packa Manufacturing (Comments Wanted)

Cedar Tree
12-02-2003, 16:57
I have some issues with the manufacturing of the Packa that I would like some feedback about.

As I've said earlier, my company is only 1 person, me. I am really a 6th grade school teacher and the Packa is just a great idea that I had. Hence, I don't have a large amount of money to invest in mass manufacture and marketing, at least at this point anyway. At this point I am patent pending and way in the hole financially with the Packa (about $6000). I do a lot of my own sewing, although I have had 170 Packas made by 2 different U.S. companies. The most Packas I've bought at 1 time is 100. They cost me $54 each at that number.

Now the problem, I am very undecided with regards to overseas manufacturing. On 1 hand, I like the fact the Packa is American made. And several of my customers have also told me they really like that the Packa is made in the U.S.

However, on the other hand, I realize the Packa could be mass manufactured overseas for a Whole lot less money per Packa than I am paying now. A whole lot less. At the numbers I am buying now, I can't get the Packa into stores because they can't compete with my price. I am currently the only place you can buy a Packa. If I add just a little mark up, say $6, and sold them to stores at $60 each, that would mean retail price would be $120, more than my current retail price, and quickly approaching "too expensive".

Should I explore overseas manufacture, or is "Made in the U.S.A" really that important to you hikers?

Thanks for any feedback you may have.
Cedar Tree

gravityman
12-02-2003, 17:04
It is not your fault that the American Textile industry is being priced out by cheaper labor in other areas of the world. As long as you are not using "sweat shops" or slave labor to have your packas made, that's just the reality of a free market economy, assuming the quality is where you want it.

Brasslite did the same thing. I'm amazed that it makes financial sense for such a small production run, but it is what it is. I would think shipping would really eat into the cost savings.

Now it's just not "Made in the USA" but at least the largest amount of profit remains here.

You are going to have a nice flame thread here in a few replies, I am imagining.

Gravity Man

kdholmwood
12-05-2003, 18:05
It is not your fault that the American Textile industry is being priced out by cheaper labor in other areas of the world. As long as you are not using "sweat shops" or slave labor to have your packas made, that's just the reality of a free market economy, assuming the quality is where you want it.

Brasslite did the same thing. I'm amazed that it makes financial sense for such a small production run, but it is what it is. I would think shipping would really eat into the cost savings.

Now it's just not "Made in the USA" but at least the largest amount of profit remains here.

You are going to have a nice flame thread here in a few replies, I am imagining.

Gravity Man

As an Englishman who has just ordered a Packa, I'd like to say how inspired I am that people like Henry Shires, Brian Frankl or Aaron at Brasslite can, apparently, make a living producing goods they are proud of at a reasonable price. I do not mind where these products are made if there is no compromise over quality. It may be that craftsmanship is an anachronism in a global economy but there is nothing wrong, in principle, with enthusiasts pioneering something we enjoy using and at the same time helping, in a modest way, to develop economies needier than our own.
"Business is the art of making irreversible decisions on the basis of insufficient evidence."

MedicineMan
12-05-2003, 23:50
I think he is probably fighting the same dilemma...for some of us you are right in that we want function and damm the torpedos concerning where it is made or what it cost...others still hold onto the notion that the U.S. is sovereign and free from the whirlwind of global economics. Reality is different that patriotism, reality says you will find a mass producer in Mexico or Indonesia...the bottom line for little people like you and me Cedar is that NAFTA and other intrusions on the American dream are beyond our control. My x-wife wont buy anything but American cars and when she sits in her Cadillac Fleetwood she refuses to believe that 40% of that vehicle came from a foreign country. Whatever you decide to do, remember that the Packa was your concept and no one elses, you deserve to profit from your imagination and ingenuity. Good luck with your decision.
Medicine Man

MadAussieInLondon
12-06-2003, 06:47
hey CT, you should drop Aaron a line at brasslite and ask him about it. his stoves are now made in vietnam. he might be able to advise you on some of the pitfalls/things he encountered in moving mfgr overseas. (his stuff isnt made by sweatshop labour either).

(this is from a post on backpacking lite group)

When I managed to get the first Brasslite stoves subcontracted, the
prices plummeted. The Micro which at one time had been made by hand
and sold for $55, was later sold for as little as $25 including a
fuel bottle, when I was trying to discontinue the model.

When the Turbo stoves were added to the line, the Micro, Solo and
Duo were discontinued. At first, they were also made by me, by hand.
The Turbo stoves had a rotating simmer sleeve and required more time
to make, but I kept the Turbo I the same price as the Solo ($60).
The Turbo II was sold at $70, because the sleeve required
significantly more time than the Duo, in spite of the fact that
there was less fuel capacity. Keeping the fuel capacity at 3 oz for
the Turbo II was unnecessary and would have required a bigger
chamber, resulting in higher weight (and cost). When the
subcontracted Turbo stoves arrived, like the others the Turbo I and
Turbo II stove prices were immediately dropped to $40 and $50. When
the Turbo II-D was added as an improvement to the Turbo II the price
stayed the same, even though I was charged more by the subcontractor
because of the double wall and additional soldering.

As Ryan described in his post about importing, I have learned the
hard way that there are many hidden costs in transporting goods from
foreign countries that offset the initally cheap mfg. cost. For
example, I still have to ship the stainless steel mesh there myself
because they haven't been able to find it there. It's one reason
that the bottles are now not included in the prices. FWIW I have
always been committed to keeping my prices (and profit)reasonable.
If I'm able to reduce costs in future, my prices will also be
reduced accordingly. I'm not making a lot of money from my venture.
I wish I were. I continue to make the stoves because I think it's a
good product.
Aaron
http://www.brasslite.com

Big Dawg
04-15-2004, 14:33
I say do what you have to do,, we're in a global economy. CT, I'm the person that asked about size of packa on ebay to fit me, 6'5", 230 lbs. You mentioned you wld be posting another altered packa on ebay that might fit me,,, any updates????

Cedar Tree
04-17-2004, 19:29
Here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4125220416&category=2021&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Its not one of my better jobs, but definitlely functionable.

Cedar Tree