PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

Tennessee Viking
11-16-2007, 03:43
I was just wondering where everyone on trail is planning to be on Thanksgiving.

mts4602
11-16-2007, 10:00
Thursday: my house, Friday: the Smokies:banana

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 10:02
if they're on the trail on thanksgiving then i guess they'll be on the trail? :-?

dixicritter
11-16-2007, 10:03
if they're on the trail on thanksgiving then i guess they'll be on the trail? :-?

What a concept.... LOL.

Survivor Dave
11-16-2007, 10:07
Will be volunteering at the Atlanta Union Mission serving up Thanksgiving meals for those who are outdoors, not by choice.

TOW
11-16-2007, 10:16
Well, I may do Thanksgiving here at my house for any would be hikers on the trail at the time.

Cookerhiker
11-16-2007, 12:02

My flight to Australia departs Monday night the 19th. On Thursday Nov. 22 Thanksgiving Day, I have a reservation with an outfitter on the Queensland Coast and will spend the day snorkeling.

Now that depends on how you count. Eastern Australia is 18 hours ahead of Eastern US except for Queensland which does not observe Daylight Time. Most of Thursday the 22nd in Australia is still Wednesday the 21st in Eastern US. So literally at the time Americans are sitting down to turkey, I'll be driving further up the Queensland Coast for my next snorkeling spot.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!:)

Footslogger
11-16-2007, 12:12

=======================================

Helena Montana ...Big Sky Country !!

'Slogger

Freeleo
11-16-2007, 12:22
for a brief second i thought that read that you were going to see Hannah Montana slogger:eek:

Footslogger
11-16-2007, 12:25
for a brief second i thought that read that you were going to see Hannah Montana slogger:eek:

================================

Is there such a place called Hannah, Montana ??

'Slogger

sixhusbands
11-16-2007, 12:29
Several of my friends and I are doing our annual traverse of the Presidential range in the White Mountains. We plan to gorge ourselves on a wild turkey dinner with all the fixin's and hit the trail at Crawford Notch hostel on Thursday mid afternoon. We will camp at the tentsites near Mizpah hut that night and sleep under the stars ( it's tradition for the first night, kinda like a right of passage). We cross the open ridges to Mt. Washington on Friday and camp on the back side of Mt. Jefferson at the Perch. Saturday , we are back at we should make the parking lot at Pinkham Notch mid afternoon.
Home for Church on Sunday morning and back to work on Monday.
Got my crampons, ice axe and -15 bag and lots of jerky....

Freeleo
11-16-2007, 12:42
================================

Is there such a place called Hannah, Montana ??

'Slogger

there is all the way from the ocean of o cyris, bill ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjyhVzCIhw

Footslogger
11-16-2007, 12:47
there is all the way from the ocean of o cyris, bill ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjyhVzCIhw

======================================

She's a cutie ...but I'm definitely not headed her way. Wife and I will be supping with family - - sans rock-n-roll.

'Slogger

Yukon
11-16-2007, 12:48
Helena Montana ...Big Sky Country !!

'Slogger

Lucky B#$#@ ;)

hacksaw
11-16-2007, 13:57
Calgary, Alberta driving a truck full of bath spas trying to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down. I suppose I'll do Thanksgiving in some truck stop greasy spoon. Sigh....

Kirby
11-16-2007, 16:56
I will most likely be in Massachusetts for Thanksgiving visiting some long-time family friends.

Then I will get up the next morning. turn on the news, and see all the crazy people running through Best Buy at 1am so save some money on a laptop they are not sure they need.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Kevin

Tennessee Viking
11-16-2007, 23:25
Where are the main concentration of Sobo thru-hikers?

Most of them should have just past the Smokies. But wondering if anyone still in TN.

Blissful
11-16-2007, 23:40
Several of my friends and I are doing our annual traverse of the Presidential range in the White Mountains. We plan to gorge ourselves on a wild turkey dinner with all the fixin's and hit the trail at Crawford Notch hostel on Thursday mid afternoon. We will camp at the tentsites near Mizpah hut that night and sleep under the stars ( it's tradition for the first night, kinda like a right of passage). We cross the open ridges to Mt. Washington on Friday and camp on the back side of Mt. Jefferson at the Perch. Saturday , we are back at we should make the parking lot at Pinkham Notch mid afternoon.
Home for Church on Sunday morning and back to work on Monday.
Got my crampons, ice axe and -15 bag and lots of jerky....

That's good you're prepared as a gal who drove us from Gorham to Pinkham Notch (and lives in the area) just contacted me today (gerat to hear from her!) and told me they were getting snow and it's cold.

Blissful
11-16-2007, 23:42
Then I will get up the next morning. turn on the news, and see all the crazy people running through Best Buy at 1am so save some money on a laptop they are not sure they need.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Kevin

Look for us :D Paul Bunyan needs a laptop for college in the winter. :) But he may be in the line for Circuit City - they also have a good one for sale.

moondoggy
11-17-2007, 18:52
Wife and I rented one of those PATC cabins in the SNP...Plan is to stay in Front Royal area Tues. night...hike in Weds morning. Have a nice Thanksgiving dinner at the cabin (Thanks to all the suggestions from my Thanksgiving Dinner post).. Do some dayhikes Fri., Sat., and Sun.,

Life is good!!

Cookerhiker
11-17-2007, 21:02
Wife and I rented one of those PATC cabins in the SNP...Plan is to stay in Front Royal area Tues. night...hike in Weds morning. Have a nice Thanksgiving dinner at the cabin (Thanks to all the suggestions from my Thanksgiving Dinner post).. Do some dayhikes Fri., Sat., and Sun.,

Life is good!!

Sounds like a great plan! Hope the weather cooperates.

Wonder
11-18-2007, 03:08
Thanksgiving? Yeah, I'll be at work. Gotta feed the rich people! Hve some stuffing for me!

Bearpaw
11-19-2007, 20:15
I'll be on a 5-day loop with my girlfriend at Savage Gulf State Natural Area on Tennessee's Cumberland. Enough elevation for nice views, without 1000's of feet of climbing. I should be heading out the door in about 12 hours........

DAKS
11-19-2007, 21:32
SNP!!! Thursday, Friday and Saturday! Can't wait!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-19-2007, 21:40
Looks like either the Cherohala or Snooper's Rock area - with my brother and my Dad - and a big 'ol bucket of fried chicken. Not sure about he-Dino and the youngest child yet - they may do dinner with some of the older kids. My Dad does not want to do the traditional dinner - says it would be too sad without Mom :( and I want to be with my Dad this year even if it means not being with the rest of the family.

bigboots
11-19-2007, 22:48
Well isn't this depressing...everyone else gets to feast on Thursday and then head out to the woods. Unfortunately, some people have to go back to work on Friday (not saying much will be accomplished)... and then I'm heading out for some one of Ohios great State forests in southern OHIO!

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Just a Hiker
11-19-2007, 23:19
I'll be at the Bangor Homeless shelter all day, then I am going home and locking the door until after "Black Friday" is over! :D

Micky
11-20-2007, 01:01
Had my Thanksgiving Saterday. My son went wack to Hawaii Sunday and on to Iraq next week. I think I'm just going to go to the woods somewhere.

Thoughtful Owl
11-20-2007, 10:49
Me and the family will be helping serve Thanksgiving Dinner at a homeless shelter at noon, then we will have dinner together in the evening. Friday out hiking with my daughter who will be home from college and "wants to get out". This weekend is about the family, they give me so much time to do what I want to do, I need to give back to them.

Gaiter
11-21-2007, 11:52
oh it looks like rain here, and for a good bit of the east coast.
we have a long family tradition of having a reunion on the original family homestead from when my family came from scotland long ago (i'm in the 9th generation) its an outdoor event, too many to fit inside, i don't even think we could fit all the food inside.
we need the rain, but couldn't it come on a different day?

Thoughtful Owl
11-21-2007, 12:27
To everyone regardless of where you will be or what you will be doing, Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Be thankful for what we do have and remember our men and women in uniform!

dessertrat
11-21-2007, 13:57
Greenbrier State Park in Maryland, heading south toward Harpers Ferry, rain, snow, or (hopefully) shine.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 14:02
Have a happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Mags
11-21-2007, 14:59
I am going to the Sand Dunes in southern Colorado:
http://www.nps.gov/grsa/

I have never been there before so I am looking forward to them.

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2007, 15:02
I expect to go for a hike north of Hanover tomorrow; there's snow on the ground, it should be very pretty and very quiet.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

RockyBob
11-21-2007, 15:47
Sitting at home watching the Packers beat the dog s*** out of the Lions.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 16:45
i'm having a house full of hikers

Tennessee Viking
11-22-2007, 00:43

I have never been there before so I am looking forward to them.
Just keep away from Alamosa and Monte Vista.

Alligator
11-22-2007, 01:56

I have never been there before so I am looking forward to them.Climb to the top and run down full speed. It's loads of fun.

mudhead
11-22-2007, 07:24
Just keep away from Alamosa and Monte Vista.

? Bad time?

horicon
12-01-2007, 14:53
Save a turkey, eat a ham.