PDA

View Full Version : Birches Campsite

Christopher Robin
11-16-2007, 12:49
I'm staring SOBO next June from Katahdin and have read that hikers how have not hiked 100 mile can not stay at the Birches. I understand the reson behind that later on in the season but, May-June do not see NOBO then?

Just a Hiker
11-16-2007, 13:09
I'm staring SOBO next June from Katahdin and have read that hikers how have not hiked 100 mile can not stay at the Birches. I understand the reson behind that later on in the season but, May-June do not see NOBO then?

That is the official policy at Baxter State Park regardless of the month, so you will have to reserve a lean-to or tent site. However, when you arrive at BSP and your heart is set on staying at the birches, ask the ranger to switch you from your assigned campsite to the birches. From my experience, he'll do it, it's just a matter of radioing to the headquarters about the move. You will still have to pay though. There is no getting around that. :D Have a great hike!

Just Jim

Old Hillwalker
11-16-2007, 13:26
That is the official policy at Baxter State Park regardless of the month, so you will have to reserve a lean-to or tent site. However, when you arrive at BSP and your heart is set on staying at the birches, ask the ranger to switch you from your assigned campsite to the birches. From my experience, he'll do it, it's just a matter of radioing to the headquarters about the move. You will still have to pay though. There is no getting around that. :D Have a great hike!

Just Jim

Since I am over three score and five and no longer pay at Maine State parks. Does this apply to staying at Katahdin?

Just a Hiker
11-16-2007, 13:38
Since I am over three score and five and no longer pay at Maine State parks. Does this apply to staying at Katahdin?

Regardless of age, you would still have to pay to camp; however, if you are a Maine resident, you don't have to pay for "day use".

mudhead
11-16-2007, 13:57
Only six bucks more for your own site. Plus it's often wet there that time of year. If you want privatish, ask for a walkin site at KStream.

Christopher Robin
11-16-2007, 14:21
Thanks, Just an Hiker, it was not about the money. I ham waiting fot my AT. map of Maine and looked at a book of, High Peaks of the Northeast. it looked like from Roaring Brook campgroud to to Katahdin and down the other side and stay at K.S.C.

Just a Hiker
11-16-2007, 14:42
Thanks, Just an Hiker, it was not about the money. I ham waiting fot my AT. map of Maine and looked at a book of, High Peaks of the Northeast. it looked like from Roaring Brook campgroud to to Katahdin and down the other side and stay at K.S.C.

What you are contemplating is a great way to start a SOBO thru-hike, but you may have some logistical issues. For example....if you stay at Roaring Brook and then do the Knife's Edge up Katahdin and then back down the Hunt Trail to Katahdin Stream Campground, you will either have to carry your full pack (which I don't advice) or make arrangements to have your pack dropped off at Katahdin Stream Campground. But you have all winter to figure it all out.:)

Just Jim

warraghiyagey
11-16-2007, 16:36
Not sure if you've ever been there but Katahdin stream is a little more scenic than the briches. And privacy hasn't been an issue when I've been there.

TJ aka Teej
11-16-2007, 18:38
If you want privatish, ask for a walkin site at KStream.
I always advise MEGAs to reserve a lean-to at KSC for the night before and after thier climb. The walk-ins are nice, but a little too close to the perimeter road for my taste. The 'most private' site at KSC is tent site #19, the first/last site on the AT is #16. Lean-tos #s 12 and 11 are right on the stream and extra nice, but they don't usually rent them to singles.
Some more free advice: Team up with someone in advance to split the cost of campsites in Baxter. Have fun planning!

Kirby
11-24-2007, 20:48
Katahdin Stream Campground is a very nice campsite.

Kirby