PDA

View Full Version : One year ago this month..

Mags
11-16-2007, 13:27
A little navel grazing... ;)

Here 's an e-mail I sent out to some CDT friends:

Hard to believe....

For those of us in the CDT 2006 crew (and those who admit to knowing us.. ;-) ), it has been about 1 year (give or take) since we finished the CDT.

Feeling a bit of CDT homesickness if you will, I watched Disco's Walkumentary (http://www.thewalkumentary.com/) again.

I laughed at the many funny memories, thought wistfully of the time spent in the Winds and think of what a great year 2006 turned out to be.

I don't think the time on the CDT would have been as memorable if it was not for all the great people we met on the trail. Safe to say, I think many of us did the CDT expecting a solo experience and not a social one. The CDT was mainly solo for me, but the moments spent with other hikers were so memorable. There were not many of us, but those of us out there seemed to really have some great memories together. One crazy weekend in CB, marg night in Rawlins (who ever knew a pit of a town could be so fun ?), walking through some gorgeous country together and too many other memories to count.

One year later, it is amazing how many of us still see each other. A bunch of us did the 13er traverse outside of Berthoud Pass, D-low, Disco and I experienced CDT-like brutality (questionable boundaries, old and vanishing trails, road walking and snow drifts included!) around Pikes Peak, we continue to hook up for beers, a few of us hooked up at the ALDHA West Gathering (sigh. not d-low or I), and one crazy and unexpected night, Speedo was in Denver at a mainly thru-hiker get together. Many of the people on this e-mail list were there. The energy was high and made for a memorable night.

What is there to say? The CDT last year was awesome. And I think part of the reason was because of the shared experience we all had. So here's to the CDT in 2006. Here's to a great 2007 that we are about to finish. And here's continuing to staying in touch for 2008 and beyond. :)

Nostalgic Mags

The replies back from my trail buddies were in a similar vein.

As I have said many times in the past, balancing a sense of wanderlust with an equally strong sense of wanting some stability and community in my life has been difficult.

I enjoy my community here in Boulder. But, I look at photos, I read my journals and I watch the videos. My mind wanders to the backpack hanging on the garage wall. I just want to grab the pack and go.

Next year it will be ten years since I've done the Appalachian Trail (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=34). Hiking the AT, frankly, ruined me. It was hard to go back to my previous life in Rhode Island. And it left me with the desire to continue to wander. The intellectual part of me thinks "You are going to be 34 in a few months. You should grow up and settle down!" My gut tells me "When can I get out again??!?!" I readily admit to not knowing how to strike a balance.
For those cursed and blessed with wanderlust, you are in good company. Steinbeck wrote a wonderful book called TRAVELS WITH CHARLIE (http://www.amazon.com/Travels-Charley-Search-America-Centennial/dp/0142000701/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195232211&sr=8-1). In this travelogue, Steinbeck (along with his dog Charlie) travels the roads and off-the-beaten path areas of early 1960s America. A chance to reconnect with the common people he wrote so eloquently about in the past.

Some of the first lines Steinbeck wrote set the tone of the book:

When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. . . In other words, I don't improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable.

A (now former) girlfriend once told me that "The outdoors for you is not a hobby, it is a lifestyle". She's right. But more importantly, my outdoor TRAVELS are a lifestyle for me. A lifestyle I am finding difficult to give up; a yearning that never goes away.

Even if I am not on the trail, or planning to be on long journey, the urge to get out there never goes away. Day hikes are nice, overnighters are fantastic...but nothing replaces the sheer joy and bliss of being on a journey. The simple act of putting one foot in front of another. Getting from Point A to Point B under my own power. Living out of my pack. Having the country all round me and being discovered one step at a time.

Once a bum. Always a bum.

Footslogger
11-16-2007, 13:31
Once a bum. Always a bum.

===================================

Smile when you say that Pilgrim !! :D

'Slogger

A-Train
11-16-2007, 14:48
I feel your pain Mags! I'm just starting to read Haiku's NOBO journal which is a terrible thing to do when you should be finding a job instead! CDT 08?

Mags
11-16-2007, 14:53
I feel your pain Mags! I'm just starting to read Haiku's NOBO journal which is a terrible thing to do when you should be finding a job instead! CDT 08?

Go out. Explore. Enjoy...

The CDT is NOT easy. But man...

Of all the hike's I've done, it has been the most rewarding of them all.

Remote. Raw. Wild. Untamed.

And I want more. :)

>> Smile when you say that Pilgrim !!

Indeed. I say it with pride! :D

ScottP
11-16-2007, 21:09
I have the same disease. The only thing i can think of to help cure it?
CDT 08!

Sly
11-17-2007, 00:01
Y'all may consider yourselves bums, I prefer trailbum, or just plain ole hikertrash.... :D

A-Train, Scott maybe we'll see you out there next year. Great trail.