PDA

View Full Version : Snakebite at MD Shelter

Cookerhiker
11-16-2007, 16:47
This account describes a snakebite at the Ed Garvey Shelter in Maryland. I've redacted the names.

Venomous Snake Bite at Ed Garvey Shelter: On 8/1/07 Jane Doe, a teacher from [state] who was participating in the overnight field exercise offered through the Trail to Every Classroom summer institute, was bitten by a venomous snake en route to the privy at Ed Garvey. She was able to walk out under her own power to Crampton Gap, where she was met by EMT’s and [another person] and transported and admitted to Hagerstown hospital for treatment. Jane explained that she was wearing sandals around the Ed Garvey site and felt something bite the top of her foot and something “squishy like a garden hose” underfoot as she was headed to the privy around 9:30-10:00 p.m. She saw the bite marks and concluded that she had been bitten by a snake.

wrongway_08
11-16-2007, 17:32
If it was venomous, just a copper head more then likely.

LIhikers
11-17-2007, 19:37
I came within inches of stepping on a rattler in PA. It was only the snakes good sense to quickly move out of the way that kept me from stepping on it. I believe it was sunning itself on some rocks that we were hiking across and it was only the movement that caught my eye. Of course once it was safely out of the way it rattled a warning. I got to a good safe distance before stopping to admire the snake.

allwreck
01-03-2008, 23:12
Courtesy of Mother Nature in GW National Forest - I heard it before I saw it!!

emerald
01-03-2008, 23:29
Yup, that's a rattlesnake!:) Thanks for posting a great pic.:welcome

Your experience was pretty much typical. They'll ordinarily do all they can to not bother with hikers if hikers do likewise and not bother with them.

Rattling is a defensive behavior and the message is don't tread on me.

Tinker
01-04-2008, 00:03
One of the lessons learned in outdoor education. Could've happened to me or anyone else. Makes me think it wouldn't be bad to take a hiking stick to the john and probe ahead with it.
Could be a case for a nice, bright headlamp, too.

Poor snake. Hope it survived. Glad she did.

Smile
01-04-2008, 01:26
Definately use a headlamp at night in the summertime. They love to lay on the trail at night, especially in areas where the trail has had plenty of sun and warmth :)

zoidfu
01-04-2008, 01:44
A couple of years ago I was going to relieve myself and nearly stepped on a rattler that failed to rattle. I saw it about 3 inches before my foot came down on it and I jumped to the side. Why didn't he rattle? He was in the middle of a shed and probably couldn't see. They don't always warn you, keep that in mind.

Skyline
01-04-2008, 01:52
If she had been wearing her boots and gaiters instead of just sandals, it probably wouldn't have been able to puncture any skin.

Thoughtful Owl
01-04-2008, 14:39
If she had been wearing her boots and gaiters instead of just sandals, it probably wouldn't have been able to puncture any skin.

Boots and gaiters just to walk to the privy. She had probably already been in her bag. Just a thought.

Skyline
01-04-2008, 17:04
Boots and gaiters just to walk to the privy. She had probably already been in her bag. Just a thought.

OK, the gaiters are unrealistic, but when I make midnight runs I put on boots. Not tied, just slip my feet into them, untied (bootlaces inside boots). The boots are always just outside the tent, protected by the vestibule. I never use separate camp shoes, chacos, sandals, etc. anyway--just boots.

Boots give more protection, and stability, than sandals.

Blissful
01-04-2008, 17:57
Man, I have to get my pic of the PA rattlesnakes up. We got a dandy of one near Caledonia, the thing was eating something furry and black too. Have to resize my pics though so WB can take them. My to-do list.

Here's the pic from my trail journal -

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=229415

Newb
01-07-2008, 09:09
So let's examine the curse of the Ed Garvey Shelter. I was bitten (twice) by yellow jackets while having lunch there. There was a raccoon attack there last year if I remember correctly.. Now we have a snake attack (notice the wording has gone from "bite" to "attack").

I'm beginning to see a pattern develop here.

ofthearth
01-07-2008, 09:32
One of the lessons learned in outdoor education. Could've happened to me or anyone else. Makes me think it wouldn't be bad to take a hiking stick to the john and probe ahead with it.
Could be a case for a nice, bright headlamp, too.

Poor snake. Hope it survived. Glad she did.

(chance to try the good SGT Rocks instructions on quoting) It's good to get this kind of info as I've gone wandering at night and not thought about it. A light and poles sound good and I'll probably just worry about not having the boots on.:rolleyes: Would not want to hurt the snake;)

ofthearth

Mini-Mosey
01-07-2008, 09:48
That was at Pine Knob Shelter.

middle to middle
01-07-2008, 10:40
I suspect it was one of our local politicans ! Beware in Maryland.

Blissful
01-07-2008, 11:34
So let's examine the curse of the Ed Garvey Shelter. I was bitten (twice) by yellow jackets while having lunch there. There was a raccoon attack there last year if I remember correctly.. Now we have a snake attack (notice the wording has gone from "bite" to "attack").

Speaking of raccoons, there's a crazy one at the Sam Moore Shelter, northern VA. I was up in the middle of the night and that thing charged me. I couldn't believe it. Swatted at it with my TP bag. I yelled for hubby, he slept through it all...blissfully.

I think the animals are starting a revolt.

Newb
01-07-2008, 11:58
Speaking of raccoons, there's a crazy one at the Sam Moore Shelter, northern VA. I was up in the middle of the night and that thing charged me. I couldn't believe it. Swatted at it with my TP bag. I yelled for hubby, he slept through it all...blissfully.

I was at Sam Moore yesterday on a day hike. The spring is flowing slow, and it still troubles me that it's downhill from the privy. I didnt' see the raccoon of your experience, but I found some owl poop under the picnic shelter.

saimyoji
01-07-2008, 12:51

Its about time.

astrogirl
01-07-2008, 23:39
Not tied, just slip my feet into them, untied (bootlaces inside boots). The boots are always just outside the tent, protected by the vestibule. I never use separate camp shoes, chacos, sandals, etc. anyway--just boots.

I don't do camp shoes either, but that's because I'm a weight weenie. :)

River Runner
01-13-2008, 22:13
Courtesy of Mother Nature in GW National Forest - I heard it before I saw it!!

Liked your photo - not only a rattler to contend with, but poison ivy too! :eek:

Programbo
01-13-2008, 23:00
So let's examine the curse of the Ed Garvey Shelter. I was bitten (twice) by yellow jackets while having lunch there. There was a raccoon attack there last year if I remember correctly.. Now we have a snake attack (notice the wording has gone from "bite" to "attack")..

That`s good because yellow jackets don't bite :D

Newb
01-23-2008, 11:59
That`s good because yellow jackets don't bite :D

this was a "cursed" yellow jacket. Much more dangerous.

Blue Jay
01-23-2008, 14:18

Yes people named Jane Doe and John Smith get in trouble often.

envirodiver
01-23-2008, 14:40
Yes people named Jane Doe and John Smith get in trouble often.

They stay in a lot of out-of-the-way motels too.