PDA

View Full Version : camping/hiking close to winston salem

sloopjonboswell
11-16-2007, 16:48
anybody know of a good spot for a weekend trip? dont really wanna camp in a designated site, most of the state parks dont look like they have very much going on/. suggestions.

Proudfoot
11-16-2007, 17:27
I visited my girlfriend and her folks down there. We went to Pilot Mountain. Don't know if you could stretch it to a full weekend but I know there is a day's worth of hiking there. Especially if you get "sidetracked" of to the side of the trail, and it starts pouring rain.

unl1988
11-16-2007, 17:49
Check out South Mountain State park, some of their back country campsites are pretty cool, and are not the normal state park camping site. There are also some good trails to hit.

Gaiter
11-16-2007, 18:07
hanging rock and pilot mtn, have some good trails, but nothing besides car camping

Frog
12-02-2007, 07:18
Its not a long ride to mount rogers area in va. or uwharrie mtns near denton nc

Walessp
12-02-2007, 08:57
Try the Mountain to Sea Trail generally which generally follows the Blue Ridge Parkway to the north and west of Winston Salem then descends through Stone Mt State Park to become a road walk (north of Pilot Mountain), then into Hanging Rock State Park.

Eventually it ends up on the coast of NC. There are a number of campsites and campgrounds near the trail. Email me with any questions you may have.

Scott

(walessp)

Tipi Walter
12-02-2007, 11:14
I did a long hitch hiking trip thru there years ago and stealth camped by Pilot Mountain and along the Arafat River(sp?). The river site was sort of like an open dump, had piles of gravel here and there, but I had a great trip nonetheless. I'd get on the Mountains to Sea trail and go west and camp at nightfall. Head back the next day.

bigcranky
12-02-2007, 12:41
Mt Rogers is two hours away. Park at the Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia, at the Massey Gap trailhead. Plenty of great loop hikes -- get the Trails Illustrated map.

The Roan Highlands are 2.5 hours away. You can park at Carver Gap and hike out-and-back over several balds. Linville Gorge is also about 2 hours away. Plenty of trails and good hiking. Again, get the maps.

You can get more complicated hikes using shuttle services along the A.T., many of which are within a three-hour drive (Erwin, Hot Springs, Damascus).

A little farther afield, Standing Indian is a great 3-day loop, including the drive.

Hope this helps.

littlelaurel59
12-02-2007, 23:00
Linville Gorge and Wilson Creek Wilderness areas are nearby. Lots of areas toward Asheville- Mt Mitchell, Shining Rock Wilderness. Too many trails, not enough time.

Brushy Sage
12-03-2007, 20:47
I understand there are about 15 miles of newly constructed MST tread in the area of Stone Mountain State Park. Does anyone know exactly how to access this new section?

Tipi Walter
12-03-2007, 21:20
I understand there are about 15 miles of newly constructed MST tread in the area of Stone Mountain State Park. Does anyone know exactly how to access this new section?

The park is located right near Wilkesboro, NC, not far from Winston. I camped there several years ago and got to see the wild goats up on the mountain-that-is-stone.

booney_1
12-04-2007, 18:56
Hi,
I live in greensboro, and have looked for similar spots. I would suggest you check out the Uwharrie Forest (and nearby Birkhead Wilderness). It is a national forest, so you can camp anywhere. The northern part is a little more isolated and ATV's are not allowed. I would reccomend anywhere in the Birk head area, or start at the West Morris Mountain access. There are some campsites there, but there is a great backpacking spot about 1 mile south on the Uwharrie trail next to a nice creek. Check the web for more info.

Otherwise, you need to head west to the Pisgah national forest near boone, or the Wilson creek area. Grayson Highlands is easy to get to from Winston also.
(just up 77 and then west on 58)

Unfortunately, I don't know any "free-range" camping camping any closer.

Tipi Walter
12-04-2007, 19:21
Hi,
I live in greensboro, and have looked for similar spots. I would suggest you check out the Uwharrie Forest (and nearby Birkhead Wilderness). It is a national forest, so you can camp anywhere. The northern part is a little more isolated and ATV's are not allowed. I would reccomend anywhere in the Birk head area, or start at the West Morris Mountain access. There are some campsites there, but there is a great backpacking spot about 1 mile south on the Uwharrie trail next to a nice creek. Check the web for more info.

Otherwise, you need to head west to the Pisgah national forest near boone, or the Wilson creek area. Grayson Highlands is easy to get to from Winston also.
(just up 77 and then west on 58)

Unfortunately, I don't know any "free-range" camping camping any closer.

Hey booney_1, have you ever hiked on the MST right near G'boro? I spent some time there recently following the trail around Lake Brandt and enjoyed the little wooden footbridges and a strange tricycle on a pile or rocks. I never could figure out why a group would develop and build a long distance trail that no one can camp on, at least for long stretches.

booney_1
12-04-2007, 22:37
I run on the trails around lake brandt almost every day! It's a shame they don't allow camping there. I think the problem is that Brandt and Townsend are water sources for greensboro, and they don't want people messing it up.

You have a good point, the MST would be much more interesting with camping spots along the way.

I'm very active in Scouts, and it's kind of sad that you can't just "go into the woods" and camp. We have to either go car camping or travel.

I should have mentioned in the previous post...this time of year is gun season for deer, and most national forests are open (including the Uwharrie).

I WOULD NOT GO CAMPING IN THE UWHARRIE UNTIL JAN 2.

Seriously, it is very crowded this time of year with hunters.

Tennessee Viking
12-05-2007, 01:18
The only thing I can suggest that close to Winston is Pilot Mountain. The Mountains to Sea Trail runs through the area. Last I heard, they are starting plans on moving from road routes to trail around Durham.

But if you are really wanting something else, you have Blue Ridge Parkway with more MST trail around Boone & Blowing Rock.

Going towards Asheville you got the Black Mountains, Craggy Gardens and Mt Mitchell. There is also Chimney Rock, but its more tourist trails than footpath.

Just a bit south of Asheville toward Greenville SC are the Wilderness Bridge Parks in the Saluda Mtns, the very edge of the Blue Ridge. The Foothills Trail starts in Table Rock. But starting from Jones Gap going toward NC, the Saludas have some of the largest concentrations of waterfalls in the region.