PDA

View Full Version : Advice for first timers

enkidu
11-16-2007, 20:41
3 friends and I are planning on hiking a portion of the AT starting from the north because we live Boston. Our trip is for a project we're doing for school (we're high school seniors). This will be the first intense hiking trip for each of us. We have done a lot of research already, but are there any must-haves for gear or any inside tips that may come in handy that we may not find elsewhere?

jersey joe
11-16-2007, 20:59
You can find loads of helpful advice on these whiteblaze forums. Here is one tip...keep your sleeping bag dry, with a dry sleeping bag you can always get yourself warm and survive.

maxNcathy
11-16-2007, 22:28
If your total pack weight is over 30 pounds you need to rethink what's in there and the weight of the backpack itself perhaps.

Jarhead16
11-16-2007, 22:36
Wow!!! You're in for a time. Check out SGT Rock's packing list, it's pretty specific for first timers!

jersey joe
11-30-2007, 15:17
If your total pack weight is over 30 pounds you need to rethink what's in there and the weight of the backpack itself perhaps.

As a general rule I would agree with you on keeping your weight down if you can, however, I don't think that if your pack is over 30lbs you NEED to rethink what is in there. Carrying 50 or 60lbs might make perfect sense for someone who is physically able to do so.

Thoughtful Owl
11-30-2007, 15:53
3 friends and I are planning on hiking a portion of the AT starting from the north because we live Boston. Our trip is for a project we're doing for school (we're high school seniors). This will be the first intense hiking trip for each of us. We have done a lot of research already, but are there any must-haves for gear or any inside tips that may come in handy that we may not find elsewhere?

Just curious, what kind of project exactly is this? What class is it for etc.
I just might need to pass it only to some of my teaching buddies.

Summit
11-30-2007, 16:10
In addition to the already mentioned tip of keeping your sleeping bag dry, I'd add keeping a set of "camp clothes" dry at all costs as well. While there are high-tech stuff sacks, since this is your first trip and to keep costs down, pack a set of camp clothes (think layers) in a plastic trash bag and guard it with your life!

Don't carry canned food. Either use freeze-dried food like Mt. House or if you want to go cheaper, use minute rice (ziploc bag it) and be creative in what you add to it, like dry soup packages. Flavored oatmeal works good for breakfast. Snack, don't eat heavy during the day - gorp or such.

Most of all . . . HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

jesse
11-30-2007, 16:25
When are you going. It gets real cold up north in winter, and early Spring, pack accordingly.

ScottP
11-30-2007, 17:38
Think of an overall strategy and plan your gear, food, and days around that overall strategy.

How many hours a day do you want to spend hiking? How many in camp? How much time do you want to spend in towns? etc.

If you just want to hike all day, then 'camp clothes' or other camp luxuries are unnessecary.

If you just want to hike for a few hours and hang out in camp most of the time, you'll want a bunch of camp luxuries and entertainment items.

There's plenty of methods that work, just make sure that everything makes sense together.

Make sure that you're prepared mentally, physically, and from an equipment perspective for the weather that you are going to face. The AT has some really crazy weather in spring (85 degrees in late march, then sub 10 degree wind chills in mid april)

Buy your sleeping bag first and your backpack last. Don't expect any sleeping bag to keep you warm down to the advertised temperature over a long distance hike.