PDA

View Full Version : Stove Comparison...

88BlueGT
11-17-2007, 04:48
I'm looking to buy a stove but not sure what to get. For the most part right now it will be used for weekend trips, etc. BUT I plan on a thru hike possibly next year so this stove will be for my thru hike also. Price does not matter... I will pay extra for extra performance, etc. Can anyone comment on these stoves. Performance, simmering capabilities, cold weather performance, reliability, elevation relability, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Optimus Nova +
Primus Omnifuel
MSR XGK
Burton Vapor

Thanks alot guys.

EWS
11-17-2007, 04:59
I have an Optimus Nova and a Primus Multifuel that I use for trips to third world countries, where gasoline is the backpacking cooking fuel. I prefer the Nova, it simmers easier, is more compact, and my Multifuel has had a very slow leak at the soldered joint on the pipe that goes into the stove for years. Most people use lightweight stoves, alcohol or canister type, on the trial though, since you're never far from civilization or easy resupply.

take-a-knee
11-17-2007, 10:34
I suggest a homemade alcohol stove. If you want to buy one get an MSR Titan 0.85 Ti kettle and get a caldera cone (windscreen) for that pot, it comes with an alcohol stove.

rafe
11-17-2007, 11:58
Here's a link to PMags' article (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=33) about stoves. You really don't need to know more than that.

88BlueGT
11-17-2007, 13:18
Here's a link to PMags' article (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=33) about stoves. You really don't need to know more than that.

Thanks for the article but thats not really what I am looking for. Im looking for comments from people with first hand experience with these stoves. Peformance, altitude, quality, etc.

88BlueGT
11-17-2007, 13:18
I suggest a homemade alcohol stove. If you want to buy one get an MSR Titan 0.85 Ti kettle and get a caldera cone (windscreen) for that pot, it comes with an alcohol stove.

I already have a homemade alky stove. Trying to upgrade.

rafe
11-17-2007, 13:27
Thanks for the article but thats not really what I am looking for. Im looking for comments from people with first hand experience with these stoves. Peformance, altitude, quality, etc.

No prob. By the way, I think you mean "Brunton" Vapor stove, not Burton.

White-gas stoves are out of favor for thru-hiking. They're great for winter hiking, but they're heavy. Generally overkill for typical thru-hiking requirements.

That said, I've got 18 or 19 years on my MSR Whisperlite, including 1000+ AT miles. Never a problem. But it is heavy.

LIhikers
11-17-2007, 13:49
My wife and I use MSR's Simmerlite stove year round and we're happy with it. It's range of operation is from full bore, seems like a rocket blast off, to a gentle simmer. We've never used it above 5000 feet but it's worked fine at 4000 and something.

88BlueGT
11-17-2007, 14:00
No prob. By the way, I think you mean "Brunton" Vapor stove, not Burton.

White-gas stoves are out of favor for thru-hiking. They're great for winter hiking, but they're heavy. Generally overkill for typical thru-hiking requirements.

That said, I've got 18 or 19 years on my MSR Whisperlite, including 1000+ AT miles. Never a problem. But it is heavy.

Yes, thats exactally what I meant... little typo. Anyway, at first I as leaning towards the MSR but than the more I look into them the more people are telling me to go with something else. Not that MSR is bad, but there is better out there with better quality products, better prices, etc. Than I started looking into the Omnifuel. Now Im strongly considering the Optimus Nova +. Im just wondering about altitude, etc. Ratings on it say that its not the best in the winter but I havent been able to find anything with specific temperatures, just good, bad and excellent...

Panzer1
11-18-2007, 03:35
You have to first decide what your requirements are. Do you need a cold weather stove, do you need a warm weather stove, do you need a light weight stove, do you want a stove that is convient to use? When you can answer these questions you will be in a position to decide what stove you should get?

Panzer

rob123ufl
11-18-2007, 03:55
jetboil. its cool. great for one person. saves time and works in one simple compact package. i think i may be thru-hiking with this rig.

rob123ufl
11-18-2007, 04:00
oh, in regards to cold. propane or isobutane tend not to burn well at altitude or in extreme cold. liquid fuel, ie white-gas, is going to burn more efficiently in more extreme cold and altitude.

the msr wisperlite international is a great liquid fuel stove, tried and true. it is a little heavy. the msr wind-pro is great too, similar construction to the wisperlite but burns stricty from a isobutane canister.

Im trying to go superlite on everything and easy and cheap as well, but im not skimping on my food situation because I LOVE to eat...youre burning 4-6 thousand calories a day out there, you just want lots of food fast...a quality stove is integral.

88BlueGT
11-18-2007, 06:16
You have to first decide what your requirements are. Do you need a cold weather stove, do you need a warm weather stove, do you need a light weight stove, do you want a stove that is convient to use? When you can answer these questions you will be in a position to decide what stove you should get?

Panzer

I am definetly looking for a four season stove. I PREFER a light weight stove but unfortunatly multi fuel stoves are not really light. I am pretty sure I am just going to go with the Optimus Nova +. I'm still doing research but Im leaning more towards that stove just because I havent heard anything bad about it. Plus, for a multi fuel stove its on the lightER side.

Panzer1
11-18-2007, 16:40
If you want to save weight you could have a heavy cold weather stove for the winter and a lighter warm weather stove for the summer. But they you would have to buy 2 stoves. (the summer stoves seem to be cheaper)

If you want just one stove then you should get a cold weather stove because that will work just fine all year round.

A lot of us here on white blaze that have been hiking for a long time may have accumulated 5 or more stoves over the years. Each one for a different reason. Some hikers even "collect" stoves.

Panzer

Jim Adams
11-18-2007, 16:59
I used an MSR pocket rocket cannister stove for an A.T. thru hike in 2002 and the same stove on my winter hikes as well as 1000 miles this summer on the PCT. I was above 10,000' for 18 days and never had a problem with it even to 13,000'. Usually cannister stoves do not work well in cold weather but by cold weather, you are usually talkin 0* or lower.
Cannisters are readily available almost everywhere.
I wouldn't hesitate in using a canister stove for your purposes unless you will be far north in the winter for an extended number of days.
The MSR white gas stoves that I have experience with work fine but usually require regular cleaning maintenance to keep them funtioning well.
The jetboil is nice but then you are "locked" into that system.

good luck with your decision.

geek

Panzer1
11-18-2007, 17:15
I've never used this stove but from what I read about it I think you will be happy with it.

What size fuel bottle were you going to go with?

Panzer

88BlueGT
11-18-2007, 18:07
I already have an MSR 22oz fuel bottle that I baught a few weeks back to use when I made by homemade alky stove (by the way I heard that you can destroy the bottles by storing alcohol in them... true?). So anyway, I have the 22oz, plan on getting the 33oz and one of the smaller ones for overnighters, etc.

88BlueGT
11-18-2007, 18:10
Actually, Im not sure on the 33oz. I dont think Im going to get that but I guess it depends on how efficient the Optimus is, which I hear is very good with fuel efficiency anyway. I will most likely be able to get just get away with the 22oz for any trips that I have planned.

partinj
11-18-2007, 19:01
You should look at the Snow Peak stove it a great little stove. It only weight 3oz, with out fuel you can get from campmor.com i try it in the rain and cold now work great it boil a 1 1/2 quart of water in 3 1/2 min. :D

88BlueGT
11-18-2007, 19:10
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definetly look into it.

Panzer1
11-18-2007, 20:18
I already have an MSR 22oz fuel bottle that I baught a few weeks back to use when I made by homemade alky stove (by the way I heard that you can destroy the bottles by storing alcohol in them... true?). So anyway, I have the 22oz, plan on getting the 33oz and one of the smaller ones for overnighters, etc.

If your thru-hiking on the AT you can probably get by with an 11 ounce container because there are so many places on the AT that sell fuel by the ounce.

Panzer

saimyoji
11-18-2007, 22:24
I already have a homemade alky stove. Trying to upgrade.

Check this one out.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/coleman/f1-ultralight-butane-stove/

88BlueGT
11-19-2007, 15:58
That stove looks pretty nice. I think Im going to go with a multi fuel stove though. I plan on buying and trying other stoves though so that might just be added onto my list :-?

slowandlow
11-21-2007, 00:18
Using an Optimus nova stove, a 22oz. MSR fuel bottle easily lasts 5-7 days boiling water for breakfast, dinner, and coffee for my wife and I. I would think the 15.5 oz bottle that comes with it would be plenty for a solo hiker for a week.

88BlueGT
11-21-2007, 13:51
Thats very good to know. I have trouble with carrying fuel though. Whenever I am filling the bottle I go into that "what if" mode and I just end up filling all 22oz's for myself for a weekend or something. I'm going to try not to do that anymore though, getting a smaller fuel bottle would help prevent that. BTW, do you have any problems using the MSR fuel bottle with the Optimus stove? I have a MSR 22oz also and Im buying the Nova+ in a few days and I wasnt sure if I needed to use their fuel bottle or not. I heard that with some companies you do.

slowandlow
11-22-2007, 14:43
The MSR bottle works fine, same threads.

slowandlow
11-22-2007, 15:34
Since you were looking for more detail from owners,

On the southern half of the AT there were three places, all in Virginia , that I could not get coleman by the ounce: Linden, Big Meadows Way side in the SNP, and Montebello. There I used auto fuel or Ronsonol lighter fluid which worked fine with no clogging, and with no noticeable loss in efficiency.
If you can find one, I think you may be happier with the older Nova rather than the Nova+ as the older model has a folding right angle flame adjustment handle instead of being integral with the hose like the Nova+. This is easier to operate with gloves on. If you close the flame adjustment tightly, it requires some leverage (not a lot) to open it after it cools and this handle provides this moreso than a knob around the hose.
So far my Nova has given me 3 years of heavy usage with no failures and no need for parts or maint. other than wiping it off with a bandana.

Christopher Robin
11-22-2007, 19:21
I'm beging the AT> next year also and chech in out alcohol stoves after see a lot of thru-hikers this year w/them. If you not to make one ; zenbackpack.net, and made packa.com and the featherafeather.com or http://antigravitygear.com. Hope it will help.

Christopher Robin
11-22-2007, 19:25
Sorry part my web site miss, packafeather.com