PDA

View Full Version : something new in the SNP

juma
11-17-2007, 06:46
Yesterday, met up with ATdisciple at Elkwallow in the SNP and we quickly formed a plan to hike a side loop up knob mountain and back jeremy's run. Conversation ensued and we hiked along yakking away about bears, deer, the world situation, the trail, etc. Somewhere down the trail ATdisciple mentions he's heard there used to be mountain goats in the SNP. We finish up and start to drive back to the gate and immediately two young bears come out and stand around like they are waiting for food. We got a good look and went on. About 5 miles from the main gate north, ATdisciple pulls over and stops and I think more bears or deer. Then out from the front of his SUV bounds a Mountain Goat! Shaggy and muscular, it jumps up on a retaining wall and bleats at us. Then, I realize its a feral goat escaped from some farm in the vally and living the wild life up on the AT. What next for the goat I wonder as we drive away....

juma

Lone Wolf
11-17-2007, 07:25
eradication program

Scaper
11-17-2007, 11:37
I have seen goats in this area for many years. Most are friendly, but some do bite.

dessertrat
11-17-2007, 14:32
It would be a lucky goat to last up there without ending up food for coyotes or bears.

Newb
11-17-2007, 22:15
This goats last day on earth:

Baaaaa.....baaaa....ba......BEAR

Scaper
11-17-2007, 22:50
Dessertrat the goats I have seen in this area are pretty tough. about 50-80 pounds with horns. They also have adapted to climbing steep rocky areas as well. A number of coyotes could easily take one but one on one I would put my money on the goat coming out on top.