PDA

View Full Version : coat/jacket?

Peanut
11-17-2007, 10:22
Someone had mentioned bringing a down jacket for starting the AT in March and I was wondering what kind people brought...Thanks!

Lyle
11-17-2007, 10:30
Tho I'm not a Thru yet, my assumption would be that most people bring a light weight down jacket, to be worn under your rain/wind jacket and over your wicking layer(s). A lot of good choices out there, usually lighter = costlier = better. But MANY that will work. You will not be wearing this while hiking, at least not for long - much too warm while active. You do not need to go way overboard, since you can always crawl into your bag in the evening when you feel the need. It is for keeping you comfortable while semi-active doing camp chores. I'm sure many will chime in here with specific recommendations.

Appalachian Tater
11-17-2007, 13:43
The idea is to get a lightweight, compressible, warm jacket. There are many brands. Look for something with 800-fill down that weighs under 12 oz.

Just a Hiker
11-17-2007, 13:58
I started carrying a down jacket last year, and it has really come in handy. I have a Mountain Hardware down jacket, and it compresses to very small and is very light; however, I am ashamed to say how much I paid for it.:)

Just Jim

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-17-2007, 14:12
My favorite down jacket for hiking is the REI Radiance (http://www.rei.com/product/754208). There are some really expensive, lighter weight, more compressible jackets out there, but this is a great jacket for the price. Good wind resistance and collar isn't so tall that it keeps you from being able to wear the jacket with the back on your front (a great way to wear a down jacket with your pack on chilly mornings so you don't have to remove your pack to lose the jacket when you get warmed up from hiking)

AEdited to add: the men's version of this jacket is called the Generator (http://www.rei.com/product/755082)

Lyle
11-17-2007, 14:19
(a great way to wear a down jacket with your pack on chilly mornings so you don't have to remove your pack to lose the jacket when you get warmed up from hiking)

This just made me think of one more advantage to a frame pack. Back when that was the norm, many of us developed techniques for removing/adding layers without even having to stop hiking. You could just pull one arm out of the pack strap at a time to take upper body layers off or on as needed. The pack frame allowed the pack to move back, away from your shoulders and back, but still remain upright. On cold mornings I used to end up having to pack away one or two layers that ended up just tucked into the bottom attachment of the shoulder straps at waist level, out of the way until a break was taken. This isn't nearly as easy to do with a frameless pack.

take-a-knee
11-17-2007, 15:25
I would consider something made from primaloft ot climashield (thruhiker kit?). You can keep a down bag sequestered and dry without a great deal of trouble. It is a little more problematic for clothing. Just my .02.